• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

I knew Jon would live. Thats some of what was spoiled for me. Even so this episode was exciting. I've been pining for an onscreen mass battle so as soon as the episode seemed to go in that direction I was stoked!

The giants were amazing!

RytGear

Fuck Ygritte, I feel so sad about Pyp and Gren dying, especially Pyp seeing as Gren got to do the valiant giant defence. Pyp just kind of died and the fact that I saw it coming didn't help.

Zelias

Banned
Loved the production values. The Night's Watch storyline has been a bit of a slow burner so it was nice to see it get centre stage like this. Still couldn't quite shake off the feeling of 'ok, this is cool, but what about Tyrion?' though.

Zeliard

Shot Through the Heart has been playing on a loop in my head since that video was posted earlier.

So thanks for that, I guess.

roytheone

Just saw the latest episode and i kinda agree with the people who think that it was a little light on actual story progress. In the grand scheme of things, not much happened really.

However, how can you be mad about that when instead you get incredible awesome action scenes like the giant axe cutting people apart, the giant spearing that dude that goes flying and of course that fantastic one shot of the fight within castle black. I really hope that this director (that also directed blackwater!) gets hired to do a big action movie with a huge budget, that would be a movie to behold!.

So, next up is the season finale and to be honest, I found previous season finales in game of thrones to be kinda disappointing. The big events are always earlier in the seasons, and the finales most of the time end with a cliffhanger that is either ignored the following season (Stannis wanting to fight the white walkers at the end of season 3) or is resolved off screen (white walkers attacking the wall in season 2). I hope that it is different this season.

mujun

I'll add my opinion to what seems to be the crowd.

This episode was a big letdown for me.

I don't mind that the whole thing was devoted to one situation, it's just the fact that, a) the show hasn't built any rapport with me with the characters at the wall. They are all pretty boring. b) What's the point, if they are building to some amazing turn that saves the Crows then have it indicated in this episode (it would have redeemed it for me to a degree) or if that isn't the case then get on with it. It seems like a foregone conclusion that the Crows are done for and most of the major characters there are going to die. Either way they could have halved the time it took to tell the story at the wall and had more stuff about any of the events still up in the air this late in the season (especially Oberyn). c) the whole thing seems illogical to me anyway. Why even bother attacking the wall. Many are past it already and if they just want to get the rest of their 100,000 through then surely they don't need to scale the wall, just bumrush the gate, have the giants tear it down and move on through to the south.

I feel like it's going to be hard to satisfactorily update the audience on every thread hanging at the moment all in the last episode.

Booties

Banned
I think this should have happened sooner in the series. Having it being on episode 9 which is traditionally the big event episode seems strange to me. I like the White Walker storyline, and this had to happen to advance that plot, but dedicating episode 9 to this seems dumb. I feel liek there is still a lot more that has to happen and we are getting kind of gypped since it's all being smush into the last two episodes. I want to see what all of Westeros is going to do after this battle and the threat of the White Walkers becomes much more real.

Winter is coming, but it's taking too damn long!.

kingocfs

Fuck Ygritte, I feel so sad about Pyp and Gren dying, especially Pyp seeing as Gren got to do the valiant giant defence. Pyp just kind of died and the fact that I saw it coming didn't help.

I didn't think there was any way they'd stop it, but when day broke and there was no sign of that giant I knew. Too bad we didn't get to see any of it go down, must have been brutal.

Booties

Banned
Is there really 100,000 warriors in this army? I just watched Episode 105 and Robert was worried about 10,000 Dothraki overthrowing the 7 Kingdoms. Considering how barren the land is and how few people we've really seen, I can't believe there are even 100,000 citizens above the wall let alone an army of that size. Was this confirmed in the episode when Jon met the King North of the Wall?

RytGear

"I promised Mormont I'd never lose it again."

Well when Jorah ran away he still had enough honour to leave the sword behind so Snow is just protecting the memory of Mormont, plus lets face it, it isnt going to be like there wont be another weapon for miles, a lot of guys got shot and they had axes and whatever. I just don't get how you can try to be sneaky or go unnoticed when you are wearing completely black surrounded by snow.

Jon Snow mentioned his bloody name in the show. Were you not paying attention?

I knew there was a king but the wall story has been so drawn out I forgot that chief guy was a different character. We never see mance but we always see him. Usually when Jon or Ygritte show up in an ep that's my signal to check my phone or play minesweeper until better characters show up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can someone remind me why he left his sword behind before venturing into the north? Did he not take a different sword instead?

Just speculating, but it seems like the only way he could realistically get that close to Mance would be to surrender to the Wildlings. One dude isn't gonna be able to slice and dice his way into Wildlings HQ.

Gaz_RB

great episode. I was actually scared for the Night's Watch. This siege isn't like a LOTR siege-I knew that it was possible that every single person in that castle could die, and that's part of what makes this show so good.

pestul

I hated that a-hole Ser Alliser until this episode. Everything was awesome about him in Ep9. His fighting ability and the rally cries.. purely excellent. And at least his character is very consistent. I absolutely loved the first person trailing camera behind Ygritte's raiding party as they fired arrows off at Castle Black's guards.

Curufinwe

I am not sure what exactly you expect from TV action scenes.

50 minutes of non-stop action with great special effects is what I saw.

I swear to God, every week I am amazed at the bitching at a show that is clearly leagues ahead of anyone else when it comes to production values.

Some people's expectations are laughably unrealistic.

I don't normally comment in this thread, but I just wanted to say that was the worst GoT episode that I can remember, the type of episode that underdeveloped guys who are into comic books and hollywood action movies will love, "it was 'badass' when X did Y and when Z happened..."
Yes, it really is a shame so many of us don't have your intellect. Thankfully we have great men like who understand proper storytelling.

Violet_0

Banned
Well when Jorah ran away he still had enough honour to leave the sword behind so Snow is just protecting the memory of Mormont, plus lets face it, it isnt going to be like there wont be another weapon for miles, a lot of guys got shot and they had axes and whatever. I just don't get how you can try to be sneaky or go unnoticed when you are wearing completely black surrounded by snow.

they don't know yet that Snow betrayed them

I think this should have happened sooner in the series. Having it being on episode 9 which is traditionally the big event episode seems strange to me. I like the White Walker storyline, and this had to happen to advance that plot, but dedicating episode 9 to this seems dumb. I feel liek there is still a lot more that has to happen and we are getting kind of gypped since it's all being smush into the last two episodes. I want to see what all of Westeros is going to do after this battle and the threat of the White Walkers becomes much more real.

Winter is coming, but it's taking too damn long!.

Having episode 9 always be the crazy episode was getting pretty old, and the fact everyone expected it to be shows that they needed to switch it up. Clearly, episode 8 was the WTF moment this season, unless Episode 10 brings the heat.

Is there really 100,000 warriors in this army? I just watched Episode 105 and Robert was worried about 10,000 Dothraki overthrowing the 7 Kingdoms. Considering how barren the land is and how few people we've really seen, I can't believe there are even 100,000 citizens above the wall let alone an army of that size. Was this confirmed in the episode when Jon met the King North of the Wall?

And, yes, it is repeated a few times that the wilding army is that large. They were separated into tribes and fighting each other until Mance united them.

Also, Robert isn't worried about 10k Dothraki at all. He is worried that the significant number of people still loyal to the Targaerians would rise up and join the Dothraki once they reached Westoros.

Violet_0

Banned
stupid question regarding the preview
those are the dragons at the end, right? For a moment I thought it was some sort of hydra creature

they don't know yet that Snow betrayed them

What!

I completely forgot about this and hadn't even considered it. All night I was wondering why the flip he would go out on a suicide mission.

mind-blown-2.gif

Even if he hasn't show up much it seems like it really was imperative to hire a famous face for Mance, people are already forgetting who he was, imagine if it was an unknown actor.

Booties

Banned
Having episode 9 always be the crazy episode was getting pretty old, and the fact everyone expected it to be shows that they needed to switch it up. Clearly, episode 8 was the WTF moment this season, unless Episode 10 brings the heat.

And, yes, it is repeated a few times that the wilding army is that large. They were separated into tribes and fighting each other until Mance united them.

Also, Robert isn't worried about 10k Dothraki at all. He is worried that the significant number of people still loyal to the Targaerians would rise up and join the Dothraki once they reached Westoros.

I think Ep. 10 will be the true finale unlike the last two years. Oberyn was designed to die from his first scene so that isn't really a shocker. Tyrion and the Lannisters' path forward is pretty important. We also haven't seen Stannis in 2 straight episodes now, and last time was very limited to him at the iron bank. There is too much content to be exposed in one episode so I'm calling LOTS of cliffhangers.

That's partially true, what he actualyl says is this (paraphrased): "Only a fool would meet the Dothraki in open combat. So we will hide in our castles behind our high walls and wait. Meanwhile, they ravage the land, raping and enslaving anyone who isn't important enough to have a stone wall to high behind. After so long the people will start to question their absentee king and rally behind the Targareons."

He also says that 1 is more powerful that 5 (Fist versus fingers).

I'm pretty sure it was 10,000 dohtraki, if not it was still in the ten of thousands, and definitey not 100,000.

While you're right, I just don't get it. Seems kind of discontinuous from the rest of the series in terms of scale. Unless the wilderness is much bigger than the rest of westeros. Who knows.

What!

I completely forgot about this and hadn't even considered it. All night I was wondering why the flip he would go out on a suicide mission.

mind-blown-2.gif

Holy shit. True. Could have sent a Raven though. Plus they have worgs.

E92 M3

Man, I'd be so happy if they could just have a 2 hour finale. Deadliest Catch finales are about an hour and half why can't we have the same for GoT :(

I was so sure fatty was gonna come across her first and be like HEY RED HAIR.... I KNOW YOU! SORT OF, LETS BE FRIENDS, ALSO YOU LET MY GF AND HER BABY LIVE THAT WAS NICE, WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO BE WITH JON????

Then it didn't go that way, then it got even worse. >_<

Seriously smug arrow kid go hold the gate or something you prick. :(

Zeppu

I can't believe you guys are getting mad at a kid who basically saved Jon's life and got revenge on the ginger minge who killed his dad while he was talking about potatoes!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Holy shit. True. Could have sent a Raven though. Plus they have worgs.

The warg in Tormund's crew got killed (by Jon, actually). I never considered it, but I guess it makes sense that Mance may have never been informed of Jon turning on the wildling squad.

Why didn't the redhead killed Sam? He killed the guy next to it and just leaved.

I believe Sam was behind cover. Pip got out of cover to take a shot with the crossbow when Ygritte hit him.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Joffrey dying in EP 2 was pretty crazy. Oberyn getting his eyes gouged out and head crushed in EP 8 was pretty crazy too. There have been a lot of great episodes this season.

Just watched this....oh wow. Great fight scenes all round. That hammer on the Thenn leader's head...whatever his name is. Brutal.

...and..Yggrite....:(

At least Ser Allister fucking does something. Ser Flynt's all talk. What a piece of shit.

I thought Jon was going on a ninja mission, until the posters above me reminded me that they didn't know Jon betrayed them yet. Only the raiding party knows...and they are gone.

Oh man...can't wait for next week's episode...the season finale!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom