• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
EP2 was the holy shit one for me this season (so far obviously). We've all been waiting for that soooo long. Wasn't expecting it there like that.

To a lesser extent EP8 too obviously.

Booties

Banned
The warg in Tormund's crew got killed (by Jon, actually). I never considered it, but I guess it makes sense that Mance may have never been informed of Jon turning on the wildling squad.

The Thenn's had one as well (Also killed by Jon), which makes me think they would have some North of the wall given the probability. They could retrieve info that way. The second Warg could have just sent a message to the Wildlings well before.

Macka

So what are the main plot points the finale has to touch upon? This is what I've thought of so far:

King's Landing
- Did the Mountain Die?
- Tyrion's fate.

The Veil
- Arya and Sansa: a Stark reunion at last?
- Do Brienne & Podrick find Sansa/Arya?
- Will The Hound die of infection?
- Littlefinger...what's his next move?

The North
- Was that Winterfell the Bolton's were heading to?
- Will the Wildling Army buckle under Jon Snow's terrifying plot immunity and allow him to kill Mance?
- Bran meets a Tree.

Essos
- Daenerys continues to be shown because...Dragons?
- Jorah Mormont, the exiled.
- Does Grey Worm have the Pillar or the Stones?
- What the fuck is Stannis doing?

Man the scythe was awesome but it seemed sorta like a waste to use it when there were so few guys on the wall.

Oddly enough Kingdom of Heaven was on HBO last night and I tuned in for that last battle and this ep of GoT definitely rivaled a big budget hollywood production, the only area you could tell they were lacking was in the pure multitude of soldiers/fighters. It's understandable as HBO doesn't have an unlimited budget but that sorta made the scope seem smaller than it probably really was.

I was really disappointed by this episode. Worst of the season by far. It has been hyped up so much. It was supposed to be glorious and was supposed to dwarf Blackwater, but it wasn't even close. The pacing was off, it felt like nothing eventful was really going on, despite the fact that it was supposed to be a pretty big event.

I was just really over hyped for it, I suppose. I'll miss Grenn though.

Really don't understand comments like this, but to each his own.

I thought this episode was just another stellar entry in what is easily the most consistently great season by far. I both feel and understand what is at stake at Castle Black. The Nights Watch are the only noble fuckers fighting the truly good fight.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Well, they did say something like "hoist it up" afterwards, so I don't think the anchor was a one-use deal.

Plus if I was about the climb the wall and saw that shit go down above me I'd be like nah, I'm going back to my hut guys, sorry.

Booties

Banned
Man the scythe was awesome but it seemed sorta like a waste to use it when there were so few guys on the wall.

Especially considering they showed the Wildlings their best defense. Jon said they were testing their defenses. They pulled out all the tricks they had which is why he has to go North. The only saving grace is that the wildlings don't know how many scythes they have, but they could always just spread out during their climb, and pull a pincer attack on the top of the wall.

So what are the main plot points the finale has to touch upon? This is what I've thought of so far:

King's Landing
- Did the Mountain Die?
- Tyrion's fate.

The Veil
- Arya and Sansa: a Stark reunion at last?
- Do Brienne & Podrick find Sansa/Arya?
- Will The Hound die of infection?
- Littlefinger...what's his next move?

The North
- Was that Winterfell the Bolton's were heading to?
- Will the Wildling Army buckle under Jon Snow's terrifying plot immunity and allow him to kill Mance?
- Bran meets a Tree.

Essos
- Daenerys continues to be shown because...Dragons?
- Jorah Mormont, the exiled.
- Does Grey Worm have the Pillar or the Stones?
- What the fuck is Stannis doing?

Pretty sure it's the vale. A viel is that piece in the bride's hair on a wedding dress.

Then maybe they could've afforded him for more than 1 day and people would actually remember him.

I can't imagine him being more expensive than some of the actors playing secondary roles like Jeor Mormont, who did appear a lot. I'm thinking it's more that these are older actors and we seen them already in numerous places, so we may remember them because of their previous roles instead of the short one they are playing now.

I thought this episode was just another stellar entry in what is easily the most consistently great season by far. I both feel and understand what is at stake at Castle Black. The Nights Watch are the only noble fuckers fighting the truly good fight.

So much this. I feel it goes far beyond all the political bullshit and petty scheming going on down south. These guys are fighting for the very survival of their civilisation and no one else seems to give a shit save Stannis and co.

Seeing the camera pull back on the castle showing us how small their forces were compared to the two attacking forces gave me the feels.

Siegcram

I can't imagine him being more expensive than some of the actors playing secondary roles like Jeor Mormont, who did appear a lot. I'm thinking it's more that these are older actors and we seen them already in numerous places, so we may remember them because of their previous roles instead of the short one they are playing now.
I don't know, to me Ciarán Hinds' resume is about 100x more impressive than that of Cosmo.
Wouldn't suprise me if Hinds had either scheduling problems and/or his time costs some serious cash.

Kak.efes

Even if you didn't enjoy the episode, I think you have to appreciate the spectacle. The logistics of shooting an entire episode centred around a massive FX wall? This is a television show, not a movie, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference last night.

spirity

Gilly and Sam

Sam has access to dragon glass and kills white walkers. When he's not tanking them in the face, he can just sit there while thousands of the buggers just avoid him. They clearly know they're outmatched.

Gilly is the mistress of invisibility and can walk past a huge army whilst high on a ridge and not draw aggro, pausing only to look, go "who gives a shit" and carry on

They are invincible

I thought it got borderline cheesy - you don't get to say your goodbyes to a character in the midst of a war, where arrows are flying and murderous cannibals are raging on. To be fair though, they picked a sort of isolated spot for that scene to happen.

For me it was completely cheesy, I probably wanted that encounter between the two to end faster than anyone. No time for a farewell during an ongoing battle.

Does Sam still have that dragon glass dagger or did he leave it in the white walker?

And the dragon glass stuff he used is different from valyrian steel, right?

Booties

Banned
Jon's plot armour is growing thicker and more calloused. That smash to the anvil and throw through the fire would be the beginning of any other character's end. Can't believe he got that kill. Then Yggrit gets killed by the little boy (Thanks to Sam btw). Jon is invincible. RIP Mance

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Wasn't a fan of the episode at all.
All this talk about Mance's massive army and all the giants and mammoths for a few hundred to show up with two giants and a mammoth?
The actions on the wall were a bit lackluster. They fire like four volleys of arrows and one lot of barrels. A mammoth and a giant are coming to knock down the door and instead of firing to scare them or injure them they just let them walk up to the door and carry on.
Despite the over whelming odds I felt there was no sense of urgency at any of the fight. The choreography and fighting was really well done but I just didn't care.
I didn't care for sam, I dont care for gilly nor anyone at the wall other than Jon. Ygritte's death was hollow and predictable.

I don't know, perhaps I let my expectations go unchecked but I was expecting something more akin to Minas Tirath/ Helms deep. The chain coming out of the wall was by far the best thing of the episode.

And wtf at that end. Jon going north but giving up his sword and not taking his direwolf with him?

Siegcram

Does Sam still have that dragon glass dagger or did he leave it in the white walker?

And the dragon glass stuff he used is different from valyrian steel, right?
Being his usual useless self of course he left it.
And from what I understand, Dragonglass is just a fancy way of saying obsidian.

Edit: Beaten with a hammer to the brain.

Ovid

Oddly enough Kingdom of Heaven was on HBO last night and I tuned in for that last battle and this ep of GoT definitely rivaled a big budget hollywood production, the only area you could tell they were lacking was in the pure multitude of soldiers/fighters. It's understandable as HBO doesn't have an unlimited budget but that sorta made the scope seem smaller than it probably really was.
How is it a waste? It's not a one and done defensive weapon.

One of the crows clearly told them to reload it.

I'm not sure everyone quite realizes the magnitude of what Jon does at the end of the episode. He essentially told Sam that he's going on a suicide mission. He knows he can't negotiate with Mance. He might pretend that's what he's doing, but he's going for the kill. That's his only plan.

I have no idea if Jon makes it out alive, but right now it would seem that Jon is resigned to sacrificing his life for the good of the realm.

Violet_0

Banned
I hope Ser Alliser makes it. He went from being the biggest douche on the wall to complete badass mode this episode. And I think I might be the only one who thought Yggrit's death scene kind of touching despite not really caring for the character before (aside from the "you know nothing, Jon Snow" line and Xx360NorTHnoScOpExX-kid). The actors really sold it for me

Blader

I can't believe you guys are getting mad at a kid who basically saved Jon's life and got revenge on the ginger minge who killed his dad while he was talking about potatoes!

ha, jesus, I completely forgot that kid was from the family killed in Mole's Town.

Zeppu

So did he go back to get it? Or did he give another shard to Bran?
I'm just assuming Mario007 isn't lying.

He didn't go and get but he had a bunch from when they found the package when shovelling in the Fist of the First Men (or whatever it's called). He even showed a bunch of daggers to the rest of the Crows (or Bran & co, I forgot) when he got back with Gilly south of the wall.

Mario007

He found a shitload, one fell on the ground after he killed the Walker. He then gave Bran & Co whatever he had left, including arrowheads for Meera.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
It's a tv show.

They were both good because they set a sense of impending doom and urgency, which is something this episode failed to do.
The giants were bad ass but there were two of them, and they really didn't pose much of a threat. The wildlings behind the wall were supposed to easily storm the castle and take out everyone but they didn't and the wildling climbing the wall didn't think to spread them selves out enough, or climb up somewhere else and just walk along the top.
At no point did I think castle black would fall, or Sam or Jon would die. The promise of more giants and more wildlings coming is pointless if we're never going to see them

spirity

I can't remember seeing it again since that episode, but it may have been mentioned in a conversation. Really not sure, he could have gave it to Bran.

EDIT
Uh oh, site is slowing. Its that E3 time again.

Siegcram

He didn't go and get but he had a bunch from when they found the package when shovelling in the Fist of the First Men (or whatever it's called). He even showed a bunch of daggers to the rest of the Crows (or Bran & co, I forgot) when he got back with Gilly south of the wall.

He found a shitload, one fell on the ground after he killed the Walker. He then gave Bran & Co whatever he had left, including arrowheads for Meera.
Oh okay, that clears it up. Thanks.
Pretty much any Bran-scene gets filed under "irrelevant" in my brain.

Blader

They were both good because they set a sense of impending doom and urgency, which is something this episode failed to do.
The giants were bad ass but there were two of them, and they really didn't pose much of a threat. The wildlings behind the wall were supposed to easily storm the castle and take out everyone but they didn't and the wildling climbing the wall didn't think to spread them selves out enough, or climb up somewhere else and just walk along the top.
At no point did I think castle black would fall, or Sam or Jon would die. The promise of more giants and more wildlings coming is pointless if we're never going to see them

Really? I didn't expect Jon or Sam to die either, but I was actually surprised this episode didn't end with Castle Black being razed. I really assumed the Night's Watch was going to lose this fight and Jon and whoever else would be taken prisoner, or something.

Ygritte never came off as a hardass like Tormund or Thenns. I feel that's where the actress failed despite some clever lines. When she was killing people it felt like she was cosplaying during the raid on villages as well as during Castle Black assault. Osha on the other hand. I can believe her.

Its acting 101. Its the facial expressions combined with body language, gait, etc.

Complistic

I will say I liked everyone in Jon's arc a whole lot more after this episode. Makes me want to care about them in future episodes finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom