• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp looks like Naughty_Doge is off the hook if he loses lolol.
I'm rooting for you Doge.
Well, it seems he just got banned, though, lol. Hopefully not for long.

This is the most unbelievable thing about the narrative so far. Winter has been coming for years. Summer ended several seasons ago. The army of the dead was within marching distance of the wall (wherever Sam was) and is still unseen.

Whenever I hear Winter is coming, I groan. They could at least be gathering at the Wall. It could be snowing in King's Landing.
I'm starting to think it'll just become an afterthought when the time comes. Bran discovers a massive secret about them or something and they drop like flies in a big battle in the span of one or two episodes. The end.

I hope I'm wrong.

This was episode four:
But they are namedropping The Stone Men a lot, so I guess those will come into play this season somewhere. Maybe that rowing guy finally got somewhere.

and guess who showed up. Not the rowing guy.

And for those paying attention between all the Dany bits:
"you are my daughter"
"you are my son"

oh no. Please
let Ramsay become a stone man (ha!) if that's going to happen. One of them is done for, at any rate. Or maybe she can grammar nazi that Snow/Bolton cunt to death somehow.

This is the most unbelievable thing about the narrative so far. Winter has been coming for years. Summer ended several seasons ago. The army of the dead was within marching distance of the wall (wherever Sam was) and is still unseen.

Whenever I hear Winter is coming, I groan. They could at least be gathering at the Wall. It could be snowing in King's Landing.

There is a season between Summer and Winter.

Venture

There is a season between Summer and Winter.
Is there in this fictional world though? I don't think they've ever mentioned anything other than Summer and Winter.

As for the white walker's army, we don't even know what their goal is. If they do plan on conquering Westeros it would make perfect sense to build up their army and wait for winter to attack. Everyone would be much more vulnerable during winter.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
No, which is more concerning that she just chose one at random.
I sincerely hope there's consequences for her actions. I mean, she murdered a patriarch all willy-nilly, just to make a point. I want to see how that man's family reacts.

White walkers are weird. I mean, they've been seen marching with their army of the dead toward the Wall at the end of S2, yet, here we are in the middle of S5 still waiting for them.

Are they just unable to "live" outside of winter-like weather and are waiting for winter to reach south of the Wall to invade? Because that's the only logical reason I can think of.

They're just...

chillin'.

Is there in this fictional world though? I don't think they've ever mentioned anything other than Summer and Winter.

As for the white walker's army, we don't even know what their goal is. If they do plan on conquering Westeros it would make perfect sense to build up their army and wait for winter to attack. Everyone would be much more vulnerable during winter.

The original name for season 3 episode 7 was Autumn Storms before it was changed to Chains. So I'd say Spring and Autumn exists in this fictional universe.

Skii

I don't think they'll see it that way. He ended Mance's suffering and preserved his dignity. Tormund can vouch for him.

I'd be more worried about what state the Night's Watch will be in when he returns. I guess Alliser Thorne will be in charge while he's gone.

Maybe Tormund will vouch for him, maybe he won't. He didn't seem all that sincere when he agreed to help Jon lead the Wildlings. There are also many factions of Wildlings so I'm sure at least one of them will revolt. Could lead to a Wildling vs Wildling situation between factions.

Venture

They're just...

chillin'.

Bran probably chilling with the white walkers.

literally

1LIzBm6.gif

Apt101

It looked like Bran could essentially travel into the past, right? What are the chances GRRM and the show writers has him change the past? That would be insane.

Skii

It looked like Bran could essentially travel into the past, right? What are the chances GRRM and the show writers has him change the past? That would be insane.

Can he? I thought he could only see into the future and other people's pasts (I think lol). Don't remember anything about him being able to travel into the past?

My personal theory (I'm sure others have had similar) is that he was going to control the dragons for Danaerys further into the story.

Sendero

Man, Valyria looked so awesome. Wouldn't mind a detour to see more about it.

*Stannis has really shone in the last episodes. Almost made me forget how much of a simp he has been.

*Lots of presages . Grayscale, Stone men (which end up appearing), the Tarlly family, that place with the largest library (Oldtown?), Winter about to arrive, Olly not accepting peace (kill the child..), etc.

*Stannis wife is about to do something. Lots of scenes recently, all of them reminding us how she fears/envy Melissandre, and how plainly hates Shireen.

Perhaps she was the one that gave her the doll with Grayscale (her or Melissandre)? I mean, she has a collection of fetuses/miscarriages in her quest to get a son for Stannis. So, getting rid of her only daughter makes sense. The red witch is totally going to take advantage of this.

*Sam is either going to Oldtown or confront his father to join them. Or both.

*In typical Daenerys fashion, she either picks the most stupid course of action, or the most inspired one.

She promised to marry someone from Mereen, and then hinted her advisor as one of the possible suitor. Perhaps she wants the leaders to betray each other to gain her favor? Or she later declare that she will be the prize for the winner of the Coliseum? Either way, I can see most of the leaders ending up killed there.

SPOILER from the Season's trailer:
That would give Fedorah a perfect reason to participate, as we saw in one of the scenes. He might end up having to confront Daario in the finals. Perfect opportunity to show the dragons too!

Michael McElhatton should do voice acting in games. Please.
I didn't know how much I wanted this, until now. And yes, Roose actor has been killing it. Plus, he looks like a younger, less theatrical version of Twyin. It's a shame he does not have any capable advisor to support him. He totally would break shit for long time.

sangreal

huh, just realized maester frankenstein is the one who helps with Jaime's hand at the Bolton camp. Totally missed that

on a related note -- its weird watching tommen get killed in season 3

Nameless

*Stannis wife is about to do something. Lots of scenes recently, all of them reminding us how she fears/envy Melissandre, and how plainly hates Shireen.

Yeah Shireen is a dead girl and Selyse knows it. That's obviously what Melisandre showed her in the flames last season. My guess is Selyse kills her daughter(or allows her death) and Stannis kills her in a rage. The Lord of Light get's his multi course sacrifice dipped in King's Blood, Melisandre removes the last remaining influences from Stannis's life(besides Davos) , and Stannis, if he doesn't Lord Denethor himself, will have finally paid the price for his iron seat.

White walkers are weird. I mean, they've been seen marching with their army of the dead toward the Wall at the end of S2, yet, here we are in the middle of S5 still waiting for them.

Are they just unable to "live" outside of winter-like weather and are waiting for winter to reach south of the Wall to invade? Because that's the only logical reason I can think of.

Isn't the wall enchanted with something that currently prevents the WW's from going over the wall?

I suppose to a degree, those zombie things are greatly preserved in cold conditions, having dead bodies trying to fight in moderate/warm areas isn't going to do them any good, gotta keep those bodies preserved!

We need a White Walker survival guide, someone call Max Brooks.

Isn't the wall enchanted with something that currently prevents the WW's from going over the wall?

I don't remember ever hearing anything about any type of magic involving the wall.

I think the height of the wall is what prevents them from going over it, hence why it's so massive.

Whatever happen to Theon's sister?

Made a big fuss about how they're going to storm in there and rescue him then bailed at the first roadblock, lol. Don't know if we'll be seeing much of her again, I see no reason to take the story to her at least.

I don't remember ever hearing anything about any type of magic involving the wall.

I think the height of the wall is what prevents them from going over it, hence why it's so massive.

That wall was made by magic, I'm possitive it was mentioned early in the series about the first men or something making it. I assume if the Walkers wanted they could just climb it or spend years and years picking away at it and making tunnel systems in it if there wasn't something else preventing them from doing so

We saw magic barriers being used at the end of S4.

Nameless

The White Walkers at the end of S2? They weren't marching on The Wall, they were going to atrack/assimilate the Crows garrisoned at The Fist of The First Men.

MikeyB

There's been about 5 so far.

har har har
That's the thing! If each season is a year (which I understand it to be according to the show's writers), we've had five years of autumn after an especially long summer of what... 9 years? No real change in weather either. Just talk of snow in where? The north. Oh.

That's the thing! If each season is a year (which I understand it to be according to the show's writers), we've had five years of autumn after an especially long summer of what... 9 years? No real change in weather either. Just talk of snow in where? The north. Oh.

It's only been a little over 3 years in show time. And summer wasn't officially declared as ended until season 2 or about 1 year into show time. In show time it's been only 2 years since Summer ended.

Uhh, did you not see the last episode of the season?

Brann and Co. found that giant tree with the children of the forest... the old wizard dude, the amazing skeletons that were ripped out of Army of Darkness?

Skelies chased them into the tree and exploded when they entered the entrance.

Right, forgot about that part.

Nameless

They held each other close,
And turned their backs upon the end,
The hills that split asunder,
And the black that ate the skies,
The flames that shot so high and hot,
That even dragons burned,
Would never be the final sights,
That fell upon their eyes,
A fly upon a wall,
The waves the sea wind,
Whipped and churned,
The city of a thousand years,
And all that men had learned,
The Doom consumed it all alike,
And neither of them turned.

mfgz4m1.gif

One of the best scenes of the series. Absolutely breathtaking.

mantidor

Made a big fuss about how they're going to storm in there and rescue him then bailed at the first roadblock, lol. Don't know if we'll be seeing much of her again, I see no reason to take the story to her at least.

She didn't bailed out, she just realized Theon was "gone" so to speak, so there was no point in keeping the attack, she even said to her men that her brother was dead.

She didn't bailed out, she just realized Theon was "gone" so to speak, so there was no point in keeping the attack, she even said to her men that her brother was dead.

No, she bailed out.

Within 10 seconds she concluded that he was gone after acting like they were going to do whatever it takes to get him back. She's no better than his father. He's been tortured to hell and back, obviously scared as hell living in a dog kennel. That was an incredibly poor attempt at getting a family member back, especially after all the talk.

pringles

-When will the White Walkers start being a threat? They were the first thing to be talked about back in S1 and we still have seen virtually nothing aobut them.
I look at it like they're Sauron in LOTR. He's in the prologue of the first movie, and he's talked about every now and then and the threat of his return is always there and his influence is felt. But if he returns, everything is over and there is no happy ending. Same goes for White Walkers. If winter hit right now and they attacked, the show would be over as everyone would be killed.
Sure it seems like winter has been coming for 5 seasons now but I don't know why anyone expected winter to come and white walkers to attack and the show to go on for several seasons beyond that. I see that as endgame stuff, the interesting thing is seeing what happens before that. Little hints like Stannis telling Sam to keep reading about how to kill WWs is great, if Stannis doesn't go down to the Boltons he could be the best hope Westeros has to defend itself. It's all about setting the stage.

FeD.nL

Just watched it. Great episode. Stuff seems to be finally progressing. It has been going a bit slow this season. It's taken 5 episodes for Stannis to finally decide to march on the North.

Thoughts:
- Danny is becoming more and more unlikable. She talks about the slavers and slaves living together and for their society to be just and right but then goes and feeds a potentially innocent man to her dragons lol. She surely can't end up sitting on the throne if she's that stupid? Reminds me of Cersei.

- Stannis is so cool. But I also can't see him ultimately succeeding. It's clear Melisandre is playing him. It will get to the point where he must be sacrificed for her own motivations.

- I'm pretty sure Jon is going to be betrayed by the Wildlings when he gets there. He was an accessory in the murder of their leader for crying out loud.

- I love how the show constantly makes minor characters more and more relevant when required. The Boltons have almost become part of the main cast now which shows how strong the writing and transitioning is in GOT. I do expect them to lose to Stannis though. Maybe Jon will convince the Wildings to join forces with Stannis.

- I feel like everything has gone badly for Danny ever since she got rid of Jorah. He was the true brains of the operation and always made the correct decisions for her.

Ser Jorah Morment is the true Khaleesi.

Shame he's going to die though :(

There's no way Stannis will win. Let's be honest, we all know what happened the last time when an opponent managed to prepare for Stannis to come barging in. I have every faith in Roose to send Stannis fleeing again.

Don't let me down Roose.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
yet nowhere near as good as Stannis.
You mean the religious fanatic who recently took out a massive loan? We haven't seen much of him governing shit. We've seen him trying to get power, but I haven't seen anything about him being a good leader to his people. All we've seen is him transparently be manipulated while an audience pretends they don't notice.

Robert was good!

If he was, I never saw it on the show. He bankrupted the country and gave the Lannisters too much influence in the show.

I feel like the "Dany is a bad ruler" shit comes from the fact that she is the only goddamn person we see doing any ruling.

sangreal

I think Robert himself admits repeatedly he is a terrible king

fucking whores and killing boars and all that

but yeah, our comparisons are Joffery and Dany so he looks great

Khal Drogo... now that was a good king

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I think Robert himself admits repeatedly he is a terrible king

fucking whores and killing boars and all that

but yeah, our comparisons are Joffery and Dany so he looks great

Khal Drogo... now that was a good king

Did Robert do ANYTHING for his people? I don't know why Dany freeing slaves and making a mess of it is less admirable than Robert basically leaving the country in the position he left it out of boredom and greed ya know? I mean, winter is coming and Robert spends all the money in the kingdom on himself. Fuck that guy.

Margary is the closest we've seen to a competitor in my oppinion.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Right. I might have missed something, but what happened to Gendry (Robert's bastard)? Isn't he the rightful heir? It's been what? Two seasons since we saw him last.

Fairly disappointed with this season so far. Not just the lack of action, but some of the stuff are happening way too slow. We're at the midway point, and the stuff from last season still haven't been resolved.

Right. I might have missed something, but what happened to Gendry (Robert's bastard)? Isn't he the rightful heir? It's been what? Two seasons since we saw him last.

Fairly disappointed with this season so far. Not just the lack of action, but some of the stuff are happening way too slow. We're at the midway point, and the stuff from last season still haven't been resolved.
Still rowin'

If Stannis only would've the onion knight on his side and not melisandre, he would be the perfect king. He has good people around him, but the female parts are the worst (besides his daughter).

The stuff from last season was all resolved last season though. This season is about new beginnings, and people adapting to changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom