• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Wasn't it a Frey's soldier who cut her throat? I suppose it's hard to tell.

Yeah, but Bolton willingly let it happen, right? He was their guard/friend and all that, so the backstabbing was deeper.

Bolton was complicit.

Yeah...all for more riches and land.

I would like to think that having Varys and Baelish on his council stacks it in his favor...as long as they're working for him. That scheming combo was just too good.

Definitely. Makes you wonder if Baelish would also try to kill Robert at some point too, no?

Wonder who Robert's bastard will roll with when he shows up. Surely he's not scattered to the winds, or he'd be graphically murdered. Just wonder when he'll show up. Could be a big issue for Stannis if things go his way.

Wondering the same thing. Maybe he can join Snow and they'll be Robert+Ned 2.0? Or he can submit to Stannis since he doesn't know jack shit about ruling, fighting or commanding an army.

Definitely. Makes you wonder if Baelish would also try to kill Robert at some point too, no?
Knowing Baelish that was probably lurking around in the back of his mind somewhere. I just don't think at that moment in time he needed to since I think he thought Robert was just too stupid to catch onto anything Petyr had planned. Now with Ned he tried to help, Ned was just too honorably dumb to do what Petyr told him to do and the last thing Petyr is going to do is back the wrong horse.

Skii

Is Stannis army not mostly made up of men he has paid for with Iron Bank money, what happens if the Iron Bank stop supporting him. Before he visited the Iron Bank last series I think he only had a few thousand men left. I can see this causing him problems in the future.

I also think Stannis daughter may be his downfall, she seems to be the only person he truly cares for.

I'm sure he hasn't bought them only for when he helped the Watchers against the Wildlings. You can only assume he's bought the army for the amount of time he thinks it will take him to get the iron throne.

Yeah, his daughter is most likely going to die, probably to her mother. But I expect it to ignite the fire in him and he will become completely ruthless from there on.

So is it ok to discuss footage from the trailers used before the season aired to discuss future events? Because (possible spoilers)
if i remember correctly, i'm pretty sure they show Jorah battling in what looks like a fighting pit. So if my memory serves me correctly, it's safe to assume he gets to Dany before the season is over.

Vashetti

Banned
So is it ok to discuss footage from the trailers used before the season aired to discuss future events? Because (possible spoilers)
if i remember correctly, i'm pretty sure they show Jorah battling in what looks like a fighting pit. So if my memory serves me correctly, it's safe to assume he gets to Dany before the season is over.

Trailer discussion is fine behind spoiler tags.

I also find it telling that we've seen most of the scenes in the two trailers already in these first five episodes. They must be hiding some crazy stuff for the second half of the season.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I rewatched those trailers recently and(big trailers spoilers)
there's a really quick part(a few secs only) where Dany, her allies(and Jorah?) and some Unsullied are surrounded by a lot of Harpies in what seems to be the middle of the fighting pit, plus a bunch of dead people on the stage

Really curious to see when that happen, whichever episode it might be.

There are some shots of that scene in the beginning of the "day in the life" documentary.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since you guys are already talking about it...

Lorcain

I'm interested in seeing how Bealish handles things when he gets to Kings Landing. His house of ill repute was ransacked and the staff slaughtered or taken prisoner. The most passionate I've seen him is when someone fucks with his business, or hurts the Stark ladies.

It's still surprising to me that he left Sansa with Ramsey, another sociopath, and his ice cold father. As much as he cares about her, he must really believe she can handle herself until he sorts out things in King's Landing.

Watching Dany continue to inadvertantly screw up the places she conquers is frustrating. She's in desperate need of a good team of advisors. Cool guy mercenary captain is probably not the best voice of reason for the long game. I agree that she needs Tyrion asap. This is what he was born to do.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wut? Varys is like thousands of miles away. That guy was the captain of the ship that brought Jaime and Bronn to Dorne.
So we don't know what's happening with him yet? I mean he wouldn't stick around the brothel once he realized Tyrion was gone for obvious reasons. (Preseason trailer spoiler)
I remember watching the trailer and that scene where they take the bucket off the ground and a head is under it, it looked like him. So when the scene happened in the show I assumed it was him too even though I didn't catch it fast enough. Was it not him? Even in the trailer?

Ferrio

Banned
So we don't know what's happening with him yet? I mean he wouldn't stick around the brothel once he realized Tyrion was gone for obvious reasons. (Preseason trailer spoiler)
I remember watching the trailer and that scene where they take the bucket off the ground and a head is under it, it looked like him. So when the scene happened in the show I assumed it was him too even though I didn't catch it fast enough. Was it not him? Even in the trailer?

Geographically Vayrs is no where near.

Bisnic

It couldn't be him since he is in Essos and that scene happened in Dorne.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Legitimize and arm ISIS, such a genius play by Cersei. Her children are born of incest, how stupid can this woman get?

Jarnet87

I'm interested in seeing how Bealish handles things when he gets to Kings Landing. His house of ill repute was ransacked and the staff slaughtered or taken prisoner. The most passionate I've seen him is when someone fucks with his business, or hurts the Stark ladies.

It's still surprising to me that he left Sansa with Ramsey, another sociopath, and his ice cold father. As much as he cares about her, he must really believe she can handle herself until he sorts out things in King's Landing.

Watching Dany continue to inadvertantly screw up the places she conquers is frustrating. She's in desperate need of a good team of advisors. Cool guy mercenary captain is probably not the best voice of reason for the long game. I agree that she needs Tyrion asap. This is what he was born to do.

She could use Sir Jorah, things have gone downhill for her since his departure.

Legitimize and arm ISIS, such a genius play by Cersei. Her children are born of incest, how stupid can this woman get?

The former is definitely stupid, but incest was pretty common among kings in the real world not too many hundreds of years ago, and it looks like in this universe the Targeryens (<-- spelling) did loads of incest in the past. There are other reasons for incest other than stupidity and securing your heritage too; like broken childhood and various psychological issues.

Raist

Banned

We don't know yet about Varys.

That guy has a giant mustache, and one of the sand snakes clearly says "a ship captain who claimed to have info about Jaime Lannister". Not sure how you'd think that could be Varys :p

Heshinsi

The former is definitely stupid, but incest was pretty common among kings in the real world not too many hundreds of years ago, and it looks like in this universe the Targeryens (<-- spelling) did loads of incest in the past. There are other reasons for incest other than stupidity and securing your heritage too; like broken childhood and various psychological issues.

That's not what I meant about the incest. What I meant was, how do you go and arm a bunch of religious nut jobs, tell them that there is a great sinner in your midst, and not worry that you've just unleashed a monster? When Tommen goes to see the High Sparrow, you can hear people shouting at him that he is a bastard, and an abomination. Now one day in, and these fanatics are already disrespecting the King.

That's not what I meant about the incest. What I meant was, how do you go and arm a bunch of religious nut jobs, tell them that there is a great sinner in your midst, and not worry that you've just unleashed a monster? When Tommen goes to see the High Sparrow, you can hear people shouting at him that he is a bastard, and an abomination. Now one day in, and these fanatics are already disrespecting the King.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you.

J-Rod

That guy buried in the sand with scorpions was captain of the ship that smuggled Bronn and Jamie to Dorne. Bronn even lectures Jamie a bit about how he probably shouldn't have trusted him, but Jamie brushes it off. Then that scene happens...

Varys is still in that brothel waiting for Tyrion to finish, I guess.

All poor Loras did was bang some dudes. She banged her brother and her cousin, and put multiple incest bastards on the throne.

What he did was become an easy target for a queen on the defensive.

Between her real dumb move of aiding and abetting these religious zealots, the small council growing smaller, Jaime miles away, her son being turned against her, and whatever the hell that frankenstein thing is all about, well, there's a lot of shit for her to try to cope with. Even her uncle left her to her own devices.

I don't see how any of this ends well for her but i also don't see her getting killed. The show tends to kill those you don't expect to die, and with this many things going against her i wonder what the end game for her will be.

Between her real dumb move of aiding and abetting these religious zealots, the small council growing smaller, Jaime miles away, her son being turned against her, and whatever the hell that frankenstein thing is all about, well, there's a lot of shit for her to try to cope with. Even her uncle left her to her own devices.

I don't see how any of this ends well for her but i also don't see her getting killed. The show tends to kill those you don't expect to die, and with this many things going against her i wonder what the end game for her will be.
As far as I'm concerned her uncle was too smart to deal with her bullshit and got out of dodge right quick.

Not ISIS, but more like a version of the religious police in Saudi Arabia (the Haia). They still take orders from the King but also have some police powers.

sjboi

I don't understand what her end game is either -- she seems particularly short-sighted this season. I suppose she just wants Margeary dead and gone. Cersei is by far my favorite character on this show so I'm hoping she can make it to season 6....

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't understand what her end game is either -- she seems particularly short-sighted this season. I suppose she just wants Margeary dead and gone. Cersei is by far my favorite character on this show so I'm hoping she can make it to season 6....
Well she has frankenmountain waiting in the wings, can't imagine many people will want to face him, considering they wouldn't have wanted to face him before he became whatever he is now.

Heshinsi

Not ISIS, but more like a version of the religious police in Saudi Arabia (the Haia). They still take orders from the King but also have some police powers.

They take orders from the King? Heh, like when he tried to walk up the stairs and they told his ass to fuck off? lol The Haia know that they serve with the permission of the Saudi royalty. Tommen didn't even know what was going on, and a lot of the stuff the sparrows were doing, I doubt very much even Cersei knew they would do.

Ferrio

Banned

She's never had an end game. Only reason she's made it this far is there were other people smarter than her pulling the strings.

roytheone

God dammit, I think I just read a spoiler in the comment section of the IGN the witcher 3 review. Why do some people think it is fun to post spoilers in random places on the web? F**** pieces of shit.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
She's never had an end game. Only reason she's made it this far is there were other people smarter than her pulling the strings.
And her 'feminine wiles', which she used to control Robert and still does with Jaime.

Revolver

That guy buried in the sand with scorpions was captain of the ship that smuggled Bronn and Jamie to Dorne. Bronn even lectures Jamie a bit about how he probably shouldn't have trusted him, but Jamie brushes it off. Then that scene happens...

Varys is still in that brothel waiting for Tyrion to finish, I guess.

I'm speculating that Varys got a description of the man that carried Tyrion away (somebody must have seen something right?) and realized it was Jorah and is on his way to catch up to them in Meereen.

Bisnic

People complaining the first half of the season has been too slow or boring, I hope you're ready for:

Stannis getting killed by Brienne or the Boltons.
Ser Davos being burned by the red witch for failing his king.
Stannis's wife and the red witch sacrificing the poor little daughter of Stannis to revive him, vegetable Drogo style.
Jon getting White Walkered up his ass.
Sansa getting raped by Theon while Ramsay watch smiling.
Dany, Tyrion, Jorah and friends getting murdered by Harpies or dragons.
Cersei and FrankenMountain's bloody adventures with the Tyrells.
Tommen getting butchered by the religious nuts, Cersei grows even more mad.
Jaime and Bronn being bested(and killed) by Dorne's crazy girls group.
Arya forgetting who she was thanks to her training.
Littlefinger twisting his mustache in the shadows.

All happening between episode 6 & 10!
(Note: all pure speculations lol)

Prine

Banned
One might think how on earth Ned achieved his rank and lived as long as he did being a noble, honest and a virtuous leader in GoT universe. GRRM obsession to kill off characters that hold these characteristics is becoming predictable and betraying the GoT world that came before the books. He needs to be careful here, history has its good and bad kings, both have thier time to shape the land. This is in response to possible Stannis/Jon death that you lot are speculating, if true then i feel this show is becoming formulaic and there is no reason to expect outcomes other than brief stints in building intent before being struck down. This goes for Ariya, Dany, Sansa (i believe thats it for the good guys). Hope im wrong, given how many good guys have been killed off, the show could use a champion to keep people tuned, and to break the pattern we've alll predicted.

Ferrio

Banned
Jesus christ.

Please no.

EDIT: Wait a second. It's not even really possible considering you know.

Lord of Light shall come to his aid :D

One might think how on earth Ned achieved his rank and lived as long as he did being a noble, honest and a virtuous leader in GoT universe. GRRM obsession to kill off characters that hold these characteristics is becoming predictable and betraying the GoT world that came before the books. He needs to be careful here, history has its good and bad kings, both have thier time to shape the land. This is in response to possible Stannis/Jon death that you lot are speculating, if true then i feel this show is becoming formulaic and there is no reason to expect outcomes other than brief stints in building intent before being struck down. This goes for Ariya, Dany, Sansa (i believe thats it for the good guys). Hope im wrong, given how many good guys have been killed off, the show could use a champion to keep people tuned, and to break the pattern we've alll predicted.

Because Ned avoided all that shit by living in the north where being noble etc is respected. Wasn't until he went to King's Landing that it fucked him over.

Knowing Baelish that was probably lurking around in the back of his mind somewhere. I just don't think at that moment in time he needed to since I think he thought Robert was just too stupid to catch onto anything Petyr had planned. Now with Ned he tried to help, Ned was just too honorably dumb to do what Petyr told him to do and the last thing Petyr is going to do is back the wrong horse.

Uh, that's not what happened. LF was trying to set Ned up the entire time. Let's review what happened.

LF had Lysa poison Jon Arryn, knowing that the probable outcome of Arryn's death is that Robert asks Ned to go to KL, a place that Ned neither wants to be nor is suited for.

He then had Lysa send a secret note to Ned's wife telling them that she suspects the Lannisters murdered her husband. Thus further ensuring the dutiful Ned will go to KL to find out what happened to his friend, and makes Ned predisposed to be suspicious of the Lannisters, the other great power in KL.

He then feeds Ned just enough information (like taking him to see Gendry) to make Cersei paranoid about what Ned will find out, setting the Lannisters against the Starks.

He further sets the Starks against the Lannisters by lying about the dagger, which he says belongs to Tyrion when it doesn't. Making the Starks determined to take down the Lannisters.

When Ned resigns his handship and is about to depart KL, LF delays it by having Ned visit his brothel about another of Robert's bastards, thus ensuring that Jaime Lannister has the opportunity to find Ned before Ned could leave the capital, Ned gets injured and is stuck in KL.

Tells Ned he bribed the city watch in his favor, but really bribed them to back Cersei during the confrontation in the throne room.

LF set Ned up every step of the way, there is no "he tried to help him" at any point. Actually he set both Ned and Cersei up, the Lannisters and the Starks were both severely damaged from that conflict.

Uh, that's not what happened. LF was trying to set Ned up the entire time. Let's review what happened.

LF had Lysa poison Jon Arryn, knowing that the probable outcome of Arryn's death is that Robert asks Ned to go to KL, a place that Ned neither wants to be nor is suited for.

He then had Lysa send a secret note to Ned's wife telling them that she suspects the Lannisters murdered her husband. Thus further ensuring the dutiful Ned will go to KL to find out what happened to his friend, and makes Ned predisposed to be suspicious of the Lannisters, the other great power in KL.

He then feeds Ned just enough information (like taking him to see Gendry) to make Cersei paranoid about what Ned will find out, setting the Lannisters against the Starks.

He further sets the Starks against the Lannisters by lying about the dagger, which he says belongs to Tyrion when it doesn't. Making the Starks determined to take down the Lannisters.

When Ned resigns his handship and is about to depart KL, LF delays it by having Ned visit his brothel about another of Robert's bastards, thus ensuring that Jaime Lannister has the opportunity to find Ned before Ned could leave the capital, Ned gets injured and is stuck in KL.

Tells Ned he bribed the city watch in his favor, but really bribed them to back Cersei during the confrontation in the throne room.

LF set Ned up every step of the way, there is no "he tried to help him" at any point. Actually he set both Ned and Cersei up, the Lannisters and the Starks were both severely damaged from that conflict.
GOT damn. Littlefinger plays the long con. I didn't even realize he set him up like that. To think Ned would still be alive if Lady Catelyn married Petyr. I really need to rewatch that season from that perspective because I watched it thinking he was trying to be a snake bro at the time.

They held each other close,
And turned their backs upon the end,
The hills that split asunder,
And the black that ate the skies,
The flames that shot so high and hot,
That even dragons burned,
Would never be the final sights,
That fell upon their eyes,
A fly upon a wall,
The waves the sea wind,
Whipped and churned,
The city of a thousand years,
And all that men had learned,
The Doom consumed it all alike,
And neither of them turned.

mfgz4m1.gif

One of the best scenes of the series. Absolutely breathtaking.

It was, except I found myself looking at the cuts and backgrounds, because they freely used shots from different locations and added CG to them. It gets really jarring if you look at that specifically. Particularly when the 'aquaduct' shot was used twice.
Been binging some 'movie stuff' lately, so it's not surprising I would be looking at it, but it sort of ruined the magic of it as well.

But since you pointed it out: they both turn for the dragon, not yet doomed, I suppose.

I can't wait for Joffrey Bolton to get what's coming though. But I suspect it's not going to be that easy. Just as long as his cock gets turned to stone, as a direct parallel to Reek, I'll be delighted.

Heshinsi

I find it amusing that Ned Stark somehow found out that Jorah had sold a bunch of poachers into slavery, but had no inkling whatsoever that Roose Bolton was raping, torturing, etc, in his lands. Yeah ok there honourable Ned.

They take orders from the King? Heh, like when he tried to walk up the stairs and they told his ass to fuck off? lol The Haia know that they serve with the permission of the Saudi royalty. Tommen didn't even know what was going on, and a lot of the stuff the sparrows were doing, I doubt very much even Cersei knew they would do.

Everyone (including the zealots) know that the real power lies with Cersei and not Tommen ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom