• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

It's got lost in all the controversy, but I thought Tyrion telling Jorah about his dad was really sad.

Yeah, as I said at the time -- it never even occurred to me that Jorah did not know, given how freely information travels in this world

Yeah, but they didn't kill Bronn and Jaime and 50 of the palace guards so they can't be any good.

They probably did though, given the way the Dornish use poison

Regardless, the problem with the sand snakes is not how ineffective they were in combat. It was a poorly shot and choreographed scene reminiscent of the battle for Yunkai and their acting is atrocious.

how did you get her being tame or timid from this episode? Did you miss the scene where she put Miranda in her place? yeah, she was nervous about losing her virginity -- as she was after marrying Tyrion. I feel like putting up with this bullshit is a display of her strength. seducing ramsey was always part of the plan, as discussed with littlefinger

"seducing"?

Bro, Littlefinger hung her out to dry and she is once again having to try to not stick a knife in her throat and deal with crazy people who want to use her for fun.

Who knows, maybe she's going to try to act crazy and make sure Ramsey doesn't get tired of her. Wouldn't it be crazy if she just brings the head of Miranda to him, like Joffery did?

Third, there are a million different ways they could have taken Sansa's storyline, instead we are told the same tired abuse story for her time and again for nothing other than pure shock value. Except at this point it isn't shocking anymore, it's just angering and tiresome.

Every significant stride the character makes is met with two steps backwards. I feel like the show is running in circles and I'm sick of it.

There are a million different ways life can play out for millions of different people, but for some it's the same bullshit day in and day out regardless of how hard they try to escape that life. For some, their suffering is ended early, some are strong enough to endure it and others take their own life because they can't handle it, some escape it, but some don't.

Sansa is that person who constantly gets shit on, it's a story in itself really. It's a sad one, it's tiring and infuriating but not everyone progresses unfortunately.

sangreal

Speaking of which, I randomly remembered Roberts bastard has been AWOL for like two seasons now.

I like to think he's still out there someone in the sea, rowing to this very day.

Better hope so, since he doesn't know how to swim.

But really, he is obviously hiding out with Rickon, Nymeria, Blackfish, Osha, and the brotherhood

paskowitz

We don't know what happens a nanosecond beyond this scene so everything else is conjecture.

People in this thread predicted this very thing. Honestly, what did you think was going to happen on their wedding night? One could argue poor writing would have been to make the sexually inept virgin magically control the sadistic psycopath with her feminine wiles just because conventional story telling dictates someone who's oppressed and/or made to suffer should automatically have some redemptive or heroic moment. Again I ask, What did you expect to happen?

And in context with Littlefinger's maneuvering this episode, I say it's quite effective writing. He sent her to live with monsters as part of his grand scheme to become Warden of The North, after she saved him no less.

At this stage, I expect something, anything, resembling an attempt from Sansa to display some type of an attempt at intelligence. Maybe she thinks, oh, I can just toy with him and then she fails terribly and the scene unfolds. At least this would make sense. "I'm supposed to be smart now... oh wait, I am way out of league." Why on earth include the scene with Myranda? Why get a pep talk from Baelish? I don't think many think the scene is out of context, Ramsey is nuts, Sansa is not wise... but it simply was framed and conceived poorly.

There is one thing made clear this season.

It's time to fire the fight choreographer and actually start trying to teach these guys how to look good fighting.

Also why is nobody talking about how there are giant pillars of heads in the basement of the church/cult thing.

I wonder how many "gods" (or just old wizzards) are in the world.

Kyou

At this stage, I expect something, anything, resembling an attempt from Sansa to display some type of an attempt at intelligence.

I think saying "Sure, whatever" to the murderous psychopath who could flay you in the streets and get away with it is a pretty intelligent thing to do.

sangreal

Also why is nobody talking about how there are giant pillars of heads in the basement of the church/cult thing.

i still think this must be where the faces of the faceless men come from

I wonder how many "gods" (or just old wizzards) are in the world.

This part is really confusing because when Arya met Jaqen he was doing everything for the 'red god' which i believe is the lord of light. Since then though, they've indicated that the faceless men worship 'death' as the only many-faced god (like syrio, and arya)

Xamdou

Damn the Sand Snakes fight vs Bronn and Jaime was slow and terrible, I was actually surprised that Bronn got hurt after all that lol.

Cool moment when Sansa said who she was and wasn't the type of person to be threatened by Miranda. Then that ending happened, I was expecting Theon to finally do something or even Brienne to come to the rescue but nope!

Also can't believe the new King just let that cult take away his bride...

royalan

I think saying "Sure, whatever" to the murderous psychopath who could flay you in the streets and get away with it is a pretty intelligent thing to do.

Ramsey is a psycho, but I don't even think he is stupid enough to believe he could get away with this.

Anything he does to Sansa will have to be done in private. He harms her in public and that would be all the North needed to revolt and have them out of that castle and strung up on a line.

Then again, this episode we did just watch the King of the Seven Realms sit quietly as his own queen was arrested. So who knows how far the writers are willing to stretch believability...

I love how people always complain about the sex and rape in this show but never the violence, the child killing, people being beheaded, or the RED FUCKING WEDDING!

What world do you live in? People complained about all those thjngs

For me I get that Martin is a sadistic man who thinks humans are the real monsters. But at this point it's getting old. Tired of all the BS and ready to get down to some time honored good guy ass kicking. Seriously the greatest scene of this show right now would be Dany just I dunno laying on the back of Drogo or whatever the big dragons name is and just laying waste to have of Kings Landing and then going to Winterfell and laying waste to the Boltons. That kind of feel good payoff is sorely needed in this show.

Since the end of last season it's been nothing but shit throwing at the audience. Oberyn dying, the Hound dying at the hands of Brienne, LF who orchestrated the death of Ned playing games with Westeros for his own gains and his game playing ending up getting Sansa hurt yet again, Sir Barristan dying out of the blue, Dany losing control of her beloved dragons and city.

Really the only storyline that has any sort of feel of goodness to it is Arya's and ridiculously that story just had her tell a child to kill itself because it would just be better.

I mean fuck, we get it Martin. The world sucks. People suck. We are what we need to fear. Yeah yeah. It's old now. Let's get some good feels back again.

Atleast in Seasons 1-4 you had lots of good things happening in between all the bad shit. This season seems like non stop bad.

This part is really confusing because when Arya met Jaqen he was doing everything for the 'red god' which i believe is the lord of light. Since then though, they've indicated that the faceless men worship 'death' as the only many-faced god (like syrio, and arya)

Oh yea, those bodies are most likely being prepped for being used as faces.

As for the gods part, yea the Lord of Light is the red god. The old gods, well we met one of them I think when Brann found the cave with the crows.

Death/Many faces god is clearly real as we see people change faces instantly.

All this culminates in the fact there are many forces of higher power playing their own game and spreading their own influence.

sangreal

Oh yea, those bodies are most likely being prepped for being used as faces.

As for the gods part, yea the Lord of Light is the red god. The old gods, well we met one of them I think when Brann found the cave with the crows.

Death/Many faces god is clearly real as we see people change faces instantly.

All this culminates in the fact there are many forces of higher power playing their own game and spreading their own influence.

I think the direwolves and a few other events were also from the old gods but I'm drawing a blank

Massa

Arya saved Jaqen and two others from being burned, that's why he said she stole 3 deaths from the red god.

Nameless

Fantastic episode, overall. The Sand Snakes are fucking terrible, though. I think the show runners realized this during filming or in post and are only showing what's absolutely necessary. The Dorne story seemed minor despite the episode title.

Really great chemistry between Jorah and Tyrion. I was wondering if he was ever going to mention Jeor's death. Things keep getting worse for Jorah, but it's good he knows, I guess. Fun banter between them and Mr. Eko.

Pretty much what I expected with Sansa and Ramsay, but it was no less disturbing and tough to watch. I knew Reek wasn't going to help, but God damn if I wasn't yelling for him to do...something. The end really was an even more fucked up version of the Drogo/Daeny scene, only Drogo wasn't intentionally trying to make Daeny suffer -- he was rather indifferently doing his business. Can't even half root for Ramsay anymore. I will rejoice whenever his head finds its way to a very sharp, very tall spike.

Cersei edges out Littlefinger for MVP due to her Tywin-esque posturing and gloriously smug reactions. She was loving every second of the grand jury hearing and I was loving it with her. Margaery never really stood chance against a woman who's been swimming with sharks most her life. Loras, Mace, and the Queen are hers, and Olenna couldn't do anything but make empty threats and scowl at the world. Queen Mama officially has House Tyrell by the balls and everything else. <3 Cersei. Tommen's bewildered reaction made me laugh out loud. Poor kid.

Ramsey is a psycho, but I don't even think he is stupid enough to believe he could get away with this.

Anything he does to Sansa will have to be done in private. He harms her in public and that would be all the North needed to revolt and have them out of that castle and strung up on a line.

Then again, this episode we did just watch the King of the Seven Realms sit quietly as his own queen was arrested. So who knows how far the writers are willing to stretch believability...

I don't think he's stupid enough to do anything that will display his harm towards her in public. I hate him but he's smart. I said a few weeks back that he's going to treat her like garbage and it's happening. He thrives on torture, but last week, or the week prior his father even told him that you can't cross the line in public. It makes the whole situation for her much worse.

Also, you have to remember that Tommen is only 13, 14. He's just a child, yeah that part was ridiculous but it's 100% believable, because he's just a child who should be off playing with his cat instead of ruling.

Curufinwe

There's nothing unbelievable about Tommen being a kid who is king in name only who's scared of going against a very powerful and well armed religious army.

paskowitz

That wasn't a "sure whatever", that was a "I am such a dumb confused person, I guess I'll not see this coming, do nothing and be subsequently horrified"... even though I just recently put on a beautifully deceptive performance in the Eerie. Also, I just told this creepy girl I am not afraid. Also, Baelish told me to make this Ramsey boy mine. How we get a "sure, whatever" from that is beyond me.

I am not expecting Sansa to get out of this situation. She is not yet smart enough for that, I am just expecting it to go down differently, with proper context.

NolbertoS

"seducing"?

Bro, Littlefinger hung her out to dry and she is once again having to try to not stick a knife in her throat and deal with crazy people who want to use her for fun.

Who knows, maybe she's going to try to act crazy and make sure Ramsey doesn't get tired of her. Wouldn't it be crazy if she just brings the head of Miranda to him, like Joffery did?

Littlefinger didn't hung her off to dry, some of you in GAF need to take Politics 101 or Diplomacy 101, Little Finger played Cersei isn't his "fingers" literally. Now that he has Lannister support to be Warden of the North, he'll kill the Boltons, if they're still alive and take the North without much bloodshef. He's shrewd in his tactics.

Also poor Sansa getting raped, I'm aure Ramsey will be killed soon enough. Sansa getting deflowered by a lowly house, spells doom. I think Theon will regain his senses even for a bit and make amends to Sansa and fhe Starks. Somewhat of a good episode today.

UrokeJoe

Littlefinger didn't hung her off to dry, some of you in GAF need to take Politics 101 or Diplomacy 101, Little Finger played Cersei isn't his "fingers" literally. Now that he has Lannister support to be Warden of the North, he'll kill the Boltons, if they're still alive and take the North without much bloodshef. He's shrewd in his tactics.

Also poor Sansa getting raped, I'm aure Ramsey will be killed soon enough. Sansa getting deflowered by a lowly house, spells doom. I think Theon will regain his senses even for a bit and make amends to Sansa and fhe Starks. Somewhat of a good episode today.

Fucking Theon Reeks!

Damn the Sand Snakes fight vs Bronn and Jaime was slow and terrible, I was actually surprised that Bronn got hurt after all that lol.

I have to say, after the Sands Snakes being hyped for this season they have really fallen flat for me. From the way they were introduced and then not seen for episodes, to the way they somehow knew they exact moment Jaime and Bronn were entering the water gardens, to the slow and clunky fight, and to cap it off they all get captured and nothing comes of it. When Oberyn fought, he looked skilled as hell but the sand snakes looked pretty amateurish at best. The fights this season have all been pretty lame. Are they using a different choreographer than the person who did the Viper vs The Mountain last season or something?

mokeyjoe

OK, well I'm not as 'hardcore' a fan as some people here probably are but these are my thoughts:

I 'don't' have a problem with the rape or it being shocking because: 1. I think rape should be shocking, and depicted as such. The disgust is warranted, and that's as it should be. They actually showed very little but still achieved maximum emotional impact, I think accentuated as it's a sympathetic character - I would have been less comfortable if they'd weakened it and I don't think it would have worked as well as... 2. While we all know Ramsay's a psychopath and a completely hateful person, Sansa didn't have a reason to detest him personally. She probably hated Theon more, so the weirdness with Reek was more distaste than personal hate for Ramsay, and I think her character is going to need that if she's going to get some sort of 'revenge' on Ramsay or side somehow with Theon. Also, there have been some criticisms of the character 'arc' - I don't think having a smooth trajectory from victim to 'heroine' is necessarily that good or interesting. Maybe it's the show's fault for insinuating that happening too early, but the 'always darkest before the dawn' route is perfectly viable IMO.

I also don't agree it's been a 'weak' season, like some do. I guess it's just opinion, but while it feels like it's been moving more slowly I'm OK with that. I like the Arya storyline and the Tyrion one, and obviously everything's going to pay off somewhere along the line. A slow build is fine with me.

But I agree the Dorne stuff looks cheap. They've been wandering around the same two sand dunes for two episodes and other than the (admittedly pretty) palace gardens we've seen pretty much nothing of Dorne and what it's like. The Sand Snakes beach gazebo introduction and their rubbish fighting 'skills' was all rather lame. I have a feeling they've had to move some budget around this season and the Dorne set lost out, as other parts look fantastic. It seems they have some big set pieces coming up too from the bits of the previews I've caught, so perhaps they've decided to blow the budget there. Probably fair enough, the Dorne story was never going to be a big deal anyway. I guess all the choreographers were busy working on the fighting pit scenes :p

sangreal

I have to say, after the Sands Snakes being hyped for this season they have really fallen flat for me. From the way they were introduced and then not seen for episodes, to the way they somehow knew they exact moment Jaime and Bronn were entering the water gardens, to the slow and clunky fight, and to cap it off they all get captured and nothing comes of it. When Oberyn fought, he looked skilled as hell but the sand snakes looked pretty amateurish at best. The fights this season have all been pretty lame. Are they using a different choreographer than the person who did the Viper vs The Mountain last season or something?

I thought the fight scene with Jaime and Bronn killing the guards on the beach was alright

Kusagari

I don't think he's stupid enough to do anything that will display his harm towards her in public. I hate him but he's smart. I said a few weeks back that he's going to treat her like garbage and it's happening. He thrives on torture, but last week, or the week prior his father even told him that you can't cross the line in public. It makes the whole situation for her much worse.

Also, you have to remember that Tommen is only 13, 14. He's just a child, yeah that part was ridiculous but it's 100% believable, because he's just a child who should be off playing with his cat instead of ruling.

He's not going to harm her in public but Ramsey, for as smart as he is on a base level, has already fucked over Roose numerous times because he doesn't know how to think long term.

Who knows what the wackjob might do if Sansa actually follows Littlefinger's advice and tries to get a backbone against him.

Popnbake

You mean the Lannister family that lost the man who held everything together?

I'm sure it will go well for him.

Venture

If I've learned anything from this show, it's that you never get the result you expected or wanted.
That's not entirely true. There was the storyline where Daenerys sold her dragon to the Unsullied slave master for example. You could see where that was going almost from the very start, but it worked because the end was so satisfying. I'm hoping the Sansa and Theon story works out the same way.

What world do you live in? People complained about all those thjngs

For me I get that Martin is a sadistic man who thinks humans are the real monsters. But at this point it's getting old. Tired of all the BS and ready to get down to some time honored good guy ass kicking. Seriously the greatest scene of this show right now would be Dany just I dunno laying on the back of Drogo or whatever the big dragons name is and just laying waste to have of Kings Landing and then going to Winterfell and laying waste to the Boltons. That kind of feel good payoff is sorely needed in this show.

Since the end of last season it's been nothing but shit throwing at the audience. Oberyn dying, the Hound dying at the hands of Brienne, LF who orchestrated the death of Ned playing games with Westeros for his own gains and his game playing ending up getting Sansa hurt yet again, Sir Barristan dying out of the blue, Dany losing control of her beloved dragons and city.

Really the only storyline that has any sort of feel of goodness to it is Arya's and ridiculously that story just had her tell a child to kill itself because it would just be better.

I mean fuck, we get it Martin. The world sucks. People suck. We are what we need to fear. Yeah yeah. It's old now. Let's get some good feels back again.

Atleast in Seasons 1-4 you had lots of good things happening in between all the bad shit. This season seems like non stop bad.

People complain about all things sure, but not as much as the sex, nudity, and rape scenes.

There are still four episodes left so a lot can happen between now and the end of the season. Each person's choices will have consequences we just got to sit back and watch what happens. It's best to not want something to happen. It will save you from disappointment and heartache. I learned my lesson after the red wedding.

That's not entirely true. There was the storyline where Daenerys sold her dragon to the Unsullied slave master for example. You could see where that was going almost from the very start, but it worked because the end was so satisfying. I'm hoping the Sansa and Theon story works out the same way.

That was an extremely minor plot point in the grand scheme of things; the slave master was an unimportant footnote, a veritable red shirt.

When dealing with the primary characters, it has never really gone the way I had hoped. For example, I thought Joffrey would get his from one of the Starks. Nope. Poisoned by a character that came much, much later for unrelated reasons. By the time Aryah is capable of killing anyone on her list, they'll all be long gone.

Venture

OK, well I'm not as 'hardcore' a fan as some people here probably are but these are my thoughts:

I 'don't' have a problem with the rape or it being shocking because: 1. I think rape should be shocking, and depicted as such. The disgust is warranted, and that's as it should be. They actually showed very little but still achieved maximum emotional impact, I think accentuated as it's a sympathetic character - I would have been less comfortable if they'd weakened it and I don't think it would have worked as well as... 2. While we all know Ramsay's a psychopath and a completely hateful person, Sansa didn't have a reason to detest him personally. She probably hated Theon more, so the weirdness with Reek was more distaste than personal hate for Ramsay, and I think her character is going to need that if she's going to get some sort of 'revenge' on Ramsay or side somehow with Theon. Also, there have been some criticisms of the character 'arc' - I don't think having a smooth trajectory from victim to 'heroine' is necessarily that good or interesting. Maybe it's the show's fault for insinuating that happening too early, but the 'always darkest before the dawn' route is perfectly viable IMO.

I also don't agree it's been a 'weak' season, like some do. I guess it's just opinion, but while it feels like it's been moving more slowly I'm OK with that. I like the Arya storyline and the Tyrion one, and obviously everything's going to pay off somewhere along the line. A slow build is fine with me.

But I agree the Dorne stuff looks cheap. They've been wandering around the same two sand dunes for two episodes and other than the (admittedly pretty) palace gardens we've seen pretty much nothing of Dorne and what it's like. The Sand Snakes beach gazebo introduction and their rubbish fighting 'skills' was all rather lame. I have a feeling they've had to move some budget around this season and the Dorne set lost out, as other parts look fantastic. It seems they have some big set pieces coming up too from the bits of the previews I've caught, so perhaps they've decided to blow the budget there. Probably fair enough, the Dorne story was never going to be a big deal anyway. I guess all the choreographers were busy working on the fighting pit scenes :p
I Couldn't agree more with every point.

UrokeJoe

There are still four episodes so a lot can happen between now and the end of the season. Every person's choices will have consequences just got to sit back and watch what happens. It's best to not want something to happen. It will save you from disappointment and heartache. I learned my lesson after the red wedding.

Exactly. Please serve justice on the baddies.

can't wait for the writers to tackle the aftermath of this episode in a really competent and well-executed way!

and call me crazy but that Ramsay guy seems like a real jerk.

mokeyjoe

There's nothing unbelievable about Tommen being a kid who is king in name only who's scared of going against a very powerful and well armed religious army.

Yeah, he's a simpering little wimp. I couldn't imagine him doing anything else. Him standing up saying "Unhand her at once!" would have been ludicrous. More so if they'd listened. He's just a terrified pawn, King in name only. I mean Joffrey for all his sadistic megalomania was a coward, this kid doesn't even have the evil stuff going for him.

Venture

That was an extremely minor plot point in the grand scheme of things; the slave master was an unimportant footnote, a veritable red shirt.

When dealing with the primary characters, it has never really gone the way I had hoped. For example, I thought Joffrey would get his from one of the Starks. Nope. Poisoned by a character that came much, much later for unrelated reasons. By the time Aryah is capable of killing anyone on her list, they'll all be long gone.
True. It's one of the reasons I love this show though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom