• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic episode, and props to the director for how he handled the rape scene. This is how you do it. You don't eroticize it. He went so far as to not even show it. Instead, the camera was intently focused on Theon's reaction, which serves as a reflection of the audience's reaction, and also how the director wants the audience to react. Perfection.

rjc571

Banned
That was an extremely minor plot point in the grand scheme of things; the slave master was an unimportant footnote, a veritable red shirt.

Was that not the point where Dany decided that she would forever be the breaker of chains, putting her plans to take the iron throne on hold until every slave in Westeros was freed? Seems like a pretty major turning point in her character to me.

Fantastic episode, and props to the director for how he handled the rape scene. This is how you do it. You don't eroticize it. He went so far as to not even show it. Instead, the camera was intently focused on Theon's reaction, which serves as a reflection of the audience's reaction, and also how the director wants the audience to react. Perfection.
I just stared at the screen mouth agape for like a minute as the credits rolled. Fucking crazy. Sansa can't catch a break mane

Vire

What I want to know is where the fuck has the budget gone this season? Why is Dorne in its entirety constrained to one tiny courtyard?

I feel like Season 4 had a lot more elaborate set pieces and scenes.

sangreal

Are the Tyrell's boned? I'm not sure what's going to happen at this point.

Well, Cersei holds the head of their household, his heir, and Queen Margaery

but no, I don't think they are boned. Olenna is smarter than Cersei could ever dream of being and their army is allied with Baelish -- the two of them could certainly wreck the broke Lannisters at this point

Loras is probably done though

demolitio

Still going with the theme of justice not always being gratifying and going down the way you think I see...I partially expected something to interrupt that last scene but then I remembered what I was watching and how it'd be more shocking to have it happen and said "Yup, this is about to happen..." It was unbearable to watch but that's what they're going for and while we WANT justice right away with Theon saving Sansa, it doesn't work out like that just like the real world never being so black and white with justice prevailing all the time.

Nice to see I was right about the Sparrows though. Can't wait until it back-fires on Cersei thanks to Olenna being in town. She's an OG that knows how to play the game and I think she'll be the one to turn the radicals on Cersei for the incest somehow.

The justice part is a recurring theme that I'm surprised more people aren't used to by now. It's NEVER that easy in this show and we'll have to celebrate Ramsay's death however it happens when that day comes, even if it's quite a ways off.

Sure, it gets old seeing Sansa losing constantly, but I think what Ramsay said had more meaning to the viewers about how she's a woman now and not just the girl they knew. With this, she'll leave her past behind and become what she needs to be to "win" so to speak.

sangreal

What I want to know is where the fuck has the budget gone this season? Why is Dorne in its entirety constrained to one tiny courtyard?

I feel like Season 4 had a lot more elaborate set pieces and scenes.

It's especially funny because that is like the one place where you shouldn't try to kidnap the princess -- the wheelchair bound leader, Doctor Bashir, looks over it

Was a bit late to the episode so had to scroll back to read some of the reactions. Blowing my mind how upset some people are over the ending. You people do realize what show you're watching right?

Regardless, I thought it was a fantastic episode. The fight scene, as pretty much everyone said, was mediocre but I think the outcome of it was mostly expected so there wasn't much tension to it.

Everything else though was phenomenal. I especially liked Arya's scenes this week. All the other plot points are built on tension and waiting for things to pop off but Arya's is the one with the most mystical/magical elements to it. I'm really curious, not just to see where her story goes, but to learn more about the Faceless Men. It almost feels like her story has filled in for Bran's in terms of the magical element this season.

Really looking forward to next week's episode. Hard to believe there's only four left.

royalan

Are the Tyrell's boned? I'm not sure what's going to happen at this point.

The strange thing is, the show is depicting the Tyrells as boned here, but if you look at the facts they really shouldn't be.

For all Cersei's talking, last I checked the Crown's army and resources are still utterly crippled after Blackwater. The Tyrells are one of the most stable and prosperous realms in Westeros right now (based on dialogue from the show).

If the Tyrells made good on their threat to withdraw support, Kings Landing would be devastated, and there wouldn't be a damn thing Cersei could do about it, right?

NolbertoS

It's turning into a mess. I don't think they should have waited, but they should have taken their time with the story progression.

Blame GRR for taking an eternity to complete and release hos novels. Also, when they started the show, they would've assumed one of his last 2 novels would be publishef. Also, the show is a hit and they can continue into non-fiction realm taking storylines into new uncharted territory. Making shows costs a tonne of money and I doubt GOT can sit idle and eait for GRR to finish up.

ivysaur12

Banned
The strange thing is, the show is depicting the Tyrells as boned here, but if you look at the facts they really shouldn't be.

For all Cersei's talking, last I checked the Crown's army and resources are still utterly crippled after Blackwater. The Tyrell's are one of the most stable and prosperous realms in Westeros right now (based on dialogue from the show).

If they Tyrells made good on their threat to withdraw support, Kings Landing would be devastated, and there wouldn't be a damn thing Cersei could do about it, right?

Yup. Cersei is making very poor choices with only short-sighted gain.

sangreal

Really, the one thing the show should have done from the start is have longer seasons. I guess it would lead to more pacing complaints, but there is so much that needs to be fleshed out. Too bad it is so expensive

Well, Cersei holds the head of their household, his heir, and Queen Margaery

but no, I don't think they are boned. Olenna is smarter than Cersei could ever dream of being and their army is allied with Baelish -- the two of them could certainly wreck the broke Lannisters at this point

Loras is probably done though

Wouldn't Baelish want to side with Cersei first-fight the Boltons to become Warden of the North? In that case would the Tyrell's side with him? Not sure that's plausible.

Still going with the theme of justice not always being gratifying and going down the way you think I see...I partially expected something to interrupt that last scene but then I remembered what I was watching and how it'd be more shocking to have it happen and said "Yup, this is about to happen..." It was unbearable to watch but that's what they're going for and while we WANT justice right away with Theon saving Sansa, it doesn't work out like that just like the real world never being so black and white with justice prevailing all the time.

Nice to see I was right about the Sparrows though. Can't wait until it back-fires on Cersei thanks to Olenna being in town. She's an OG that knows how to play the game and I think she'll be the one to turn the radicals on Cersei for the incest somehow.

The justice part is a recurring theme that I'm surprised more people aren't used to by now. It's NEVER that easy in this show and we'll have to celebrate Ramsay's death however it happens when that day comes, even if it's quite a ways off.

Sure, it gets old seeing Sansa losing constantly, but I think what Ramsay said had more meaning to the viewers about how she's a woman now and not just the girl they knew. With this, she'll leave her past behind and become what she needs to be to "win" so to speak.

I can see this happening. If Olenna can take advantage of the sparrows somehow, then maybe she can save her house. I'm not sure how it'll happen, though.

Vire

Really, the one thing the show should have done from the start is have longer seasons. I guess it would lead to more pacing complaints, but there is so much that needs to be fleshed out. Too bad it is so expensive
Longer seasons? Really? Cause I feel like this season is moving at a snails pace already at 10 episodes. I can't imagine if you stretched it out further.

In all honesty, very very little of importance has happened since the end of the last season.

House Tyrell and House Baelish are bound together because they killed Joffrey together

Right, assuming that fighting against the Boltons (and killing Sansa?) is his way of becoming Warden of the North, I thought he would betray the Tyrell's first. I don't know.

That guy is so cunning though. Really unpredictable.

sangreal

Longer seasons? Really? Cause I feel like this season is moving at a snails pace already at 10 episodes. I can't imagine if you stretched it out further.

Like I said, I know it would create more complaints about pacing

In all honesty, very very little of importance has happened since the end of the last season.

Completely disagree:
  • Arya has joined the faceless men and is progressing in her training
  • Brienne and Pod have refound a purpose
  • Tommen is proving to a failure of a king
  • House Tyrell is falling apart -- Margaery and Loras are in jail. Mace might as well be
  • Sansa married into the Bolton family -- and her husband could be surplanted by his half-brother
  • Tyrion and Varys are joining the Targaryen cause
  • Bronn probably died tonight
  • Jon is going to try and bring 100,000 wildlings into the north

I feel I could go on and on

Decent episode.

-Loved Tyrion being Tyrion, but I can't believe he didn't mention anything about seeing a fucking dragon for the first time.

-If something happens to Marge I'm gonna be pissed. Fucking Tommen. Also, Cersei is a bigger idiot than I thought if she doesn't see how this whole thing is gonna backfire hard. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if she's dead by the end of the season or next season.

-Lmao at the sand snakes. That fight scene was terribad and they're fucking amateurs. Hilarious. Bronn is done, though.

-*sigh* nothing more to say about Sansa. She seems to be showing some progression, though, but there's nothing she could have done against Ramsey.

ivysaur12

Banned
The Sandsnake fight really needed one more cut to Marcella gasping to REALLY make it that much better.

And yeah, I mean... poor fucking Sansa. She needs her comeuppance soon. Ideally by killing Ramsay.

mantidor

Was that fight terrible or what.

The queen being in a dungeon makes no sense, that was bad, bad, bad, that whole army of fanatics arc is just stupid, it makes no sense.

As upsetting as it was, at least Sansa's story is making sense, what did people really expect? In this world women have little to no power, the have to play the game this way, I don't think there was any regression of her character, she really couldn't have done anything else.

jwhit28

Whether they kill him or not, isn't Tommen done as king as soon as the Sparrows go after Cersei for incest? If Olenna points out that Jamie fathered Cersei's children wouldn't she cause Margery to lose her spot as queen (for all the good that did her)?

sangreal

Whether they kill him or not, isn't Tommen done as king as soon as the Sparrows go after Cersei for incest? If Olenna points out that Jamie fathered Cersei's children wouldn't she cause Margery to lose her spot as queen (for all the good that did her)?

I don't think they need to go after Cersei for the incest with Jaime -- she had incestual relations with Lancel Lannister -- the Sparrow

UrokeJoe

Deals and details.

Hero

This episode was pretty terrible overall but the ending I think was a bit too much. I don't think the audience needs more reason to hate Ramsey but this just felt like low-hanging fruit in terms of getting a reaction out of people.

sangreal

This isn't really the first time someone has been raped on this show, though. I've kinda prepared myself for the worst permanently.

It's not even the first time a young child bride was raped on the show after their wedding. see: Season 1, Episode 1

It reminds me of when people were shocked and upset when the magic in the series became apparent despite it being the focus of the very first scene in the show

I think what matters is where they go from here. Does it strengthen Sansa or are we due for another season of her being tortured? they've given no indication either way other than that her character is far smarter, far more cunning, and far stronger than when she first met Joffrey

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I don't know what that last scene accomplished narratively. We already knew that Sansa was a helpless victim. We already knew that Ramsay was a garbage monster. We already knew Theon was broken and ashamed.

What do we gain? I feel like we're circling the fucking drain with the Sansa stuff jand getting more plot instead of more character.

It's not even the first time a young child bride was raped on the show after their wedding. see: Season 1, Episode 1

It reminds me of when people were shocked and upset when the magic in the series became apparent despite it being the focus of the very first scene in the show

The audience watched Sansa grow up. She was 13 when we started watching the show. The writers had Ramsey look at Reek and remind the audience of this.

Also, we've fucking seen her be tormented by a nut before. It was less offensive than sort of embarrassing. It felt like a soap opera. We learned nothign interesting about the world or characters. We just saw Sansa raped for the sake of a shock.

When GoT is good, it's more than just another shitty soap opera twist. We've been here. It's fucking boring and unnessecary IMO.

Being dismissive with a "lol what show have you been watching?" is kind of ignoring why the show is good. It's not "Red Wedding: The Show" for everyone in the audience.
At it's best it's more than just that. I'd be fine with it if it didn't feel completely unmotivated.

sangreal

I don't know what that last scene accomplished narratively. We already knew that Sansa was a helpless victim. We already knew that Ramsay was a garbage monster. We already knew Theon was broken and ashamed.

What do we gain? I feel like we're circling the fucking drain with the Sansa stuff jand getting more plot instead of more character.

we have no idea where it leads because it was the end of the episode

KorrZ

How about wait to see the outcome of these events rather than dismissing them as pointless when we haven't seen the result yet? How can anyone say that this doesn't change/evolve the characters in any way when we literally have no way of knowing that yet.

demolitio

Wouldn't Baelish want to side with Cersei first-fight the Boltons to become Warden of the North? In that case would the Tyrell's side with him? Not sure that's plausible.

I can see this happening. If Olenna can take advantage of the sparrows somehow, then maybe she can save her house. I'm not sure how it'll happen, though.

Well, the Sparrows need money to survive and have grown only with Cersei's help, but the Tyrells can offer them a lot more financially while also being integral to the kingdom staying afloat. They also have the most goodwill with the poor in the city thanks to Margaery's campaigning before marrying Joffrey so she'll have a lot of support. She can convince them that she's the one that funds the wars against the heathens that are trying to take their throne that would destroy their religion.
I just don't see them taking down the Tyrells or Margaery specifically with that easy of a plot.

Olenna can support them and try to find proof of the incest and make them turn on Cersei as well. The Sparrows might back off if they see who's paying their bills while the Lannisters continue to lie about their wealth and incest and we see how well they respond to being lied to. :p

I think she has plenty of moves though.

sangreal

The audience watched Sansa grow up. She was 13 when we started watching the show. The writers had Ramsey look at Reek and remind the audience of this.

Also, we've fucking seen her be tormented by a nut before. It was less offensive than sort of embarrassing. It felt like a soap opera. We learned nothign interesting about the world or characters. We just saw Sansa raped for the sake of a shock.

When GoT is good, it's more than just another shitty soap opera twist. We've been here. It's fucking boring and unnessecary IMO.

Being dismissive with a "lol what show have you been watching?" is kind of ignoring why the show is good. It's not "Red Wedding: The Show" for everyone in the audience.
At it's best it's more than just that. I'd be fine with it if it didn't feel completely unmotivated.

i'm not saying "lol what show have you been watching?" I'm disagreeing with your characterization of the scene as pointless. I think it is too early to say what point it serves as we have yet to see how Sansa either grows as a character from it or doesn't. She showed in the previous scenes that she is growing though, so I don't know why everyone assumes this is going to destroy her. I bring up the previous rapes, especially that of Danaerys, because she turned that entire situation around and nobody focuses on the fact that she was raped in the pilot anymore. We haven't given Sansa that chance to do that. I feel it could turn out that her virginity was held in such high regard that it was holding her back from her cunning potential and this could unleash her. We will see.

jwhit28

How could they just not address it? We had to see if Sansa was either going to roll with it and somehow take control or try and fight, and if there was a chance that Theon might wake up.

Jesus. I was waiting did someone to shiv Ramsey and it never happened. That actor is great and so was everyone in that scene. If Theon doesn't get, then Sansa or Lord Baelish better. Even though that happened with Sansa she's a piece in the puzzle to regaining control of Winterfell, I hope. Her family name needs restoration.

That's the same area where Robb got married, right?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
We need Joffrey to come back, he was the perfect king. Not only was he a better husband than Ramsey but he wouldn't have let his queen get arrested. He wouldn't have killed all the Sparrows the second they stepped foot in King's Landing.

I disagree with reading this scene as Sansa being a little shit. I think her attitude was warranted in that scene, and I remember thinking Sansa was being rightfully curt against a woman who, while maybe trying to be nice, was actually being really presumptuous.

Maybe not you, but I know the quickest way to get on my bad side is to try to infer to me what my mother may or may not have approved of.

I know you're mad about Sansa being raped but lets not pretend that she wasn't a little shit in season 1. Even the characters in the show thought she was a little shit.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
we have no idea where it leads because it was the end of the episode

I'm not asking where it leads. I'm not talking about plot. I'm talking about characters and theme. What does showing it SAY? Nothing new. Same shit different day. Therefore it could of happened off screen... but no, we need to shock people with another "oh shit" moment.

Instead we get Ramsay deliver a really clumsy winking aside and we see a girl whose been tormented for several seasons get tormented yet again. It's fucking boring soap opera bullshit in the way it was executed. I suppose this is the same audience that complained this season was oring, so I guess I should expect them to applaud it as some sort of artful depiction and a bold choice.

sangreal

I'm not asking where it leads. I'm not talking about plot. I'm talking about characters and theme. What does showing it SAY? Nothing new. Same shit different day. Therefore it could of happened off screen... but no, we need to shock people with another "oh shit" moment.

Instead we get Ramsay deliver a really clumsy winking aside and we see a girl whose been tormented for several seasons get tormented yet again. It's fucking boring soap opera bullshit in the way it was executed. I suppose this is the same audience that complained this season was oring, so I guess I should expect them to applaud it as some sort of artful depiction and a bold choice.

It did happen off screen. It potentially (and likely) was too much of a pivotal moment for her character to just reference it later -- "oh yeah, how are you feeling after you got raped last night?" As a compromise, they let us know it happened without showing it or trying to expose it through dialog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom