• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I know you're mad about Sansa being raped but lets not pretend that she wasn't a little shit in season 1. Even the characters in the show thought she was a little shit.

Ok and? Even if I were to agree that an even younger season 1 Sansa Stark was a little shit (which I don't), what relevance does it have here? What point are you trying to concoct? I hope it's not what I think it is...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Good episode. Bolton must die.

Boltons are good PR for the Lannisters.

Ok and? Even if I were to agree that an even younger season 1 Sansa Stark was a little shit (which I don't), what relevance does it have here? What point are you trying to concoct? I hope it's not what I think it is...

My point is that because she got raped you're now pretending like she was a different character in season 1.

And no, I'm not saying she deserved to get raped because of that. Nice try.

This is karma for her being a whiny little kid years after the fact. Good thing we're talking about a fictional character because holy shit.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
How could they just not address it? We had to see if Sansa was either going to roll with it and somehow take control or try and fight, and if there was a chance that Theon might wake up.

It's a visual medium. You can tell stories in any number of way, but they wanted to hit a nerve.

*Ramsay tears bodice*
"Theon you stay... and close the door."
*door clicks*

END OF EPISODE

Or whatever. I'm not writing the most expensive show on TV. I don't need to know how to cook a steak to know if I like one or not.

Gets the same thing doen without dwelling on some upsetting shit for the sake of dwelling on it. The show has done this before. It's not without precedent. The subtext of the way this was presented was just really winky and dorky to me. It didn't even have internal consistency. "Take your close off. Don't disobey me--- oh whatever, just bend over. Turns out I'm not that big of a control freak"

I'm not saying other people should agree with me. I'm saying it's not outrageous to think it was BIT much.

KorrZ

I'm not asking where it leads. I'm not talking about plot. I'm talking about characters and theme. What does showing it SAY? Nothing new. Same shit different day. Therefore it could of happened off screen... but no, we need to shock people with another "oh shit" moment.

Instead we get Ramsay deliver a really clumsy winking aside and we see a girl whose been tormented for several seasons get tormented yet again. It's fucking boring soap opera bullshit in the way it was executed. I suppose this is the same audience that complained this season was oring, so I guess I should expect them to applaud it as some sort of artful depiction and a bold choice.

Theon's character? It's pretty obvious that this is going to be his breaking point to finally snap out of his pathetic slave shell. Again, you have to wait and see what happens. Characters need screen time to develop just like plot does, and we haven't seen anymore than a strong focus on how appalled Theon looked. It's obvious setup.

sangreal

I don't agree with any suggestion that Sansa deserved to be raped because she was a little shit -- but I am curious as to why you don't think she was a little shit in Season 1. That was reinforced time and time again. Remember the butcher's boy?

sangreal

It's a visual medium. You can tell stories in any number of way, but they wanted to hit a nerve.

*Ramsay tears bodice*
"Theon you stay... and close the door."
*door clicks*

END OF EPISODE

Or whatever. I'm not writing the most expensive show on TV. I don't need to know how to cook a steak to know if I like one or not.

Gets the same thing doen without dwelling on some upsetting shit for the sake of dwelling on it. The show has done this before. It's not without precedent. The subtext of the way this was presented was just really winky and dorky to me. It didn't even have internal consistency. "Take your close off. Don't disobey me--- oh whatever, just bend over. Turns out I'm not that big of a control freak"

I'm not saying other people should agree with me. I'm saying it's not outrageous to think it was BIT much.

There is barely any difference between what they went with and what you suggest. Instead of showing a closed door they showed Theon's face. I don't see the material difference (at least not in the way you are suggesting -- I do think showing theon's face was important)

There is barely any difference between what they went with and what you suggest. Instead of showing a closed door they showed Theon's face. I don't see the material difference (at least not in the way you are suggesting -- I do think showing theon's face was important)

I agree with the bit about showing Theon's face. It was a pretty powerful moment in my opinion. Of course it helps that Alfie Allen's acting on the show is incredible.

It's pretty much guaranteed. As much as everyone points out the horrible treatement of the good guys, most of the sadistic bad guys have met equally impressive deaths

When Jofferey died how he did so abruptly early in the season I almost felt robbed . Like I felt like they robbed me of a proper death even though he had a brutal slow onscreen death I don't think I was prepared for him to be gone. They filled in that role admirably with Ramsey. He's more sadistic but also a lot more entertaining on screen. Jofferey was just an out of control brat.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

In my version of the show it dwelled on her face crying as she was... being raped... You know... to let the audeince know she disliked rape and that rape is super serious. Using the wonderful magic of the cinematic language.

Don't forget the dorky "You watched her grow up" line. JUST IN CASE YOU FORGOT AUDIENCE! THIS RAPE IS FOR YOU, lol. God. It's Walking Dead level cheese.

Again, people can feel free to enjoy it. I'm not calling you monsters, but jeezus was it not artfully handled in my oppinion. The only thing that bugs me is the implication that people who thought it was too much are just completely out of line.

EDIT: People may be confused, I think the execution was tacky and poorly written/acted/shot. I wasn't saying the plot point was off limits. Just that it was really cheesey and pver-the-top. Teary eyed Theon and all.

Rur0ni

We don't know what happens a nanosecond beyond this scene so everything else is conjecture.

People in this thread predicted this very thing. Honestly, what did you think was going to happen on their wedding night? One could argue poor writing would have been to make the sexually inept virgin magically control the sadistic psycopath with her feminine wiles just because conventional story telling dictates someone who's oppressed and/or made to suffer should automatically have some redemptive or heroic moment. Again I ask, What did you expect to happen?

And in context with Littlefinger's maneuvering this episode, I say it's quite effective writing. He sent her to live with monsters as part of his grand scheme to become Warden of The North, after she saved him no less.

Ramsey is a psycho, but I don't even think he is stupid enough to believe he could get away with this.

Anything he does to Sansa will have to be done in private. He harms her in public and that would be all the North needed to revolt and have them out of that castle and strung up on a line.

Then again, this episode we did just watch the King of the Seven Realms sit quietly as his own queen was arrested. So who knows how far the writers are willing to stretch believability...
Agree. This isn't pointless.

And it's totally believable that Tommen would do nothing. King of the Realm by birth at this point, but he's not mentally there at all yet. Why are only two kingsguard in the room with half a dozen or more zealots with weapons?

It's been pretty obvious since the end of season 2 that the citizens of kings landing were suffering from a lack of food and prosperity, which was why the Tyrell's agricultural support was just as valuable as their armies of finances. The Tyrells could easily cut off their supplies if the fanatics do anything, and at this point it wouldn't surprise me if they do. Afterall, the high sparrows claim to care about the cities poor, but if they are willing to make them suffer to punish the Tyrells then I can envision a scenario where the masses turn on the ruling parties in the cities and side with the house that's actually supllying them with the things they need.

royalan

I don't agree with any suggestion that Sansa deserved to be raped because she was a little shit -- but I am curious as to why you don't think she was a little shit in Season 1. That was reinforced time and time again. Remember the butcher's boy?

Because, in my opinion, those sparse sassy moments from Baby Sansa weren't the defining notes of her character. I interpreted Sansa as being a young, naive girl who believed she would be queen and tried to act like it. Sansa, overall, has always been depicted as calm, meek, and helpless.

Those sparse moments of her being bratty aren't enough to permanently cast her as "a little shit" if all that came of it were less than a handful of sassy comments that resulted in no real harm done to anyone.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I completely agree with you. I cringed a little.

Yeah. I felt like the whole episode was poorly directed. The Dorne fight scene was messy and without tension. I mean shit... we didn't even see Dorne.

Though I thought the Arya stuff was well handled. I liked the shot of the dark hallway with the weird color grading.

ivysaur12

Banned
Narratively, the rape would make sense, to me, if the following happen if we're setting up Brienne as a mother figure to Sansa where this is deconstructed at a later time between the two of them.

Karl2177

Also the episode had to end on the rape scene because what else would people talk about until the next episode? C'mon show writers, give me something that isn't predictable.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Narratively, the rape would make sense, to me, if the following happen if we're setting up Brienne as a mother figure to Sansa where this is deconstructed at a later time between the two of them.

Wasn't she in the mindset that either Stannis would take Winterfell and she'd be free or that the Boltons would win and she would have to give birth to Ramsey's child. Living the rest of her life as a captive but raising the future Warden of the North to be a decent person.

Hopefully this motivates her into taking a more active role and tries seeking revenge on the Boltons.

kingkitty

At the turtle rate this season is going, I think Tyrion will meet Daenerys by the season finale. And the Roose/Stannis fight will be the penultimate episode.

I can sometimes taste the stretched material, but it's still an okay season. I like the development of the Tyrion/Jorah broship (probably won't last long unfortunately).

Also, Cersei is still dumb as shit.

I mean is it possible to think that like Theon, Sansa will develop a Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, the psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with the captors. I mean she survived Joffrey's tortures but Ramsay is even worse.

Fuck this is so sad, fuck you Littlefinger,fuck you Ramsay and fuck you Theon. Theon is officially dead (as of right now the mental side), no way he can be restored mentally to somewhat what he use to be he is a broken man.

I think all the Starks will die, look at the track record. So sad cause I love that family.

OK, well I'm not as 'hardcore' a fan as some people here probably are but these are my thoughts:

I 'don't' have a problem with the rape or it being shocking because: 1. I think rape should be shocking, and depicted as such. The disgust is warranted, and that's as it should be. They actually showed very little but still achieved maximum emotional impact, I think accentuated as it's a sympathetic character - I would have been less comfortable if they'd weakened it and I don't think it would have worked as well as... 2. While we all know Ramsay's a psychopath and a completely hateful person, Sansa didn't have a reason to detest him personally. She probably hated Theon more, so the weirdness with Reek was more distaste than personal hate for Ramsay, and I think her character is going to need that if she's going to get some sort of 'revenge' on Ramsay or side somehow with Theon. Also, there have been some criticisms of the character 'arc' - I don't think having a smooth trajectory from victim to 'heroine' is necessarily that good or interesting. Maybe it's the show's fault for insinuating that happening too early, but the 'always darkest before the dawn' route is perfectly viable IMO.

I also don't agree it's been a 'weak' season, like some do. I guess it's just opinion, but while it feels like it's been moving more slowly I'm OK with that. I like the Arya storyline and the Tyrion one, and obviously everything's going to pay off somewhere along the line. A slow build is fine with me.

well said!

Rape is horrible, no doubt, but I felt that that scene (or something along those lines of Sansa being treated poorly) was necessary for plot. First, we all know the Boltons are asshats, but Ramsey hasn't done much to be a villain to Sansa. We knew something was coming. This seems like it is setting the stage for her to stop being a pawn, become a player and take her revenge, but revenge is going to be much, much sweeter if its really personal.

but then again, for all I know she will die the next episode from a stray arrow.

Second, I feel like GRRM and the showwriters are just keeping it real. I imagine women in feudal times, even ones with seemingly important titles, were treated like absolute shit and endured all sorts of tragedies. It's cruel, its heartless, its sickening, but maybe especially because it reminds us of our not-so-distant history of how societies have treated women. And most of those women probably never got their up and comings. And maybe Sansa won't either. That's what makes the show exciting to me, because its rarely relying on old troupes.

I do agree that Sansa has been a little deft at learning to play "the game"...outside about lying to protect littlefinger about Lysa's trip n' fall - it seems she has just kinda been rolling with the punches. I was really hoping the last episode, when she was in the crypt with littlefinger and he bids her adieu, she would have grabbed him and gave a big loving kiss or something. Not because she loves him, but to show she's learning to leverage what power she has to her advantage, knowing he may be her only way out of this mess, to "play" him (turn the tables on the master playa!) to ensure he will come back. But nah, she just kinda stood there and muttered some things.

And maybe Sansa never gets this "character arc" that everyone so desperately wants. Maybe her part in this story is just to contrast with Arya and show us that in this world, those who aren't bold enough to take power or make their own just constantly get the shaft. Literally in this case.
Too soon?

I agree that this has not been a weak season. There has been a lot of plotting and maneuvering, but for me its been exciting. The dialogue this last episode was phenomenal - I was yelling "OH SNAP" about every two minutes (yeah I know, watching with me is a nightmare). It seems to me some people won't be satisfied unless there is a major battle and a main character getting killed off every episode. I feel like the last season was intense with that stuff, this season is taking a minute to catch its breath, develop some characters and plotlines, before shiz hits the fan again.

This show can seem slow, but its like tantric sex man, gotta get that insane build up for any real payoff. Too many of ya'll are two pump chumps!
And let's hope for Sansa's sake that Ramsey was too :(

Kyou

At the turtle rate this season is going, I think Tyrion will meet Daenerys by the season finale. And the Roose/Stannis fight will be the penultimate episode.

I can sometimes taste the stretched material, but it's still an okay season. I like the development of the Tyrion/Jorah broship (probably won't last long unfortunately).

Also, Cersei is still dumb as shit.

it seems like we'll enter next season with Tyrion serving Denerys, Stannis consolidating an army in the north, and Kings Landing in further chaos

Angry Fork

I think there's a chance Theon could become Theon again, but I agree with the other posts that this show never flat out gives you want you want. Maybe Joffrey's death, I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Also little finger's constant manipulation is amazing. I'll be disappointed if his story ends as a random death.

I didn't realize this at first but maybe another reason I loved this episode so much was because no Dany.

Worst character on the show by far. I can't stand her and have hated her since season 1 but I'm assuming she's going to live and be important throughout the rest of the series which is annoying.

It's been pretty obvious since the end of season 2 that the citizens of kings landing were suffering from a lack of food and prosperity, which was why the Tyrell's agricultural support was just as valuable as their armies of finances. The Tyrells could easily cut off their supplies if the fanatics do anything, and at this point it wouldn't surprise me if they do. Afterall, the high sparrows claim to care about the cities poor, but if they are willing to make them suffer to punish the Tyrells then I can envision a scenario where the masses turn on the ruling parties in the cities and side with the house that's actually supllying them with the things they need.

Would be very cool if something like this happened.

AppleMIX

By Killing Stannis after he saves everyone from the Boltons which in turn leaves the north with no one to stand up to little finger and his Knights of the Vale.

That's why i'm thinking but I wonder after it is all said and done, will Brienne go after Arya again or will she go after Bran?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What in the bloody hell just happened in this episode? Tyrion captured, Jamie captured, Margery arrested, Littlefinger mind fucking, and poor Sansa. Ramsay does not fucking wait at all.

sangreal

it seems like we'll enter next season with Tyrion serving Denerys, Stannis consolidating an army in the north, and Kings Landing in further chaos

You still think Stannis is going to survive this season? Even if Brienne doesn't kill him (my theory), Lord Baelish just got 'permission' from Cersei to march the knights of the Eyrie on Winterfell to kill whoever wins that battle

That's why i'm thinking but I wonder after it is all said and done, will Brienne go after Arya again or will she go after Bran?

She doesn't know or care that Bran is alive. Her vow was to bring back Arya and Sansa

I think the only people that know Bran and Rickon are still alive are:
- Theon
- Ramsay
- Roose Bolton
- Jon Snow
- Samwell Tarley
- Osha, Hodor, etc.
- The Umbers, if Rickon ever made it there

Roose and Ramsay aren't even sure since they never heard from Locke again

Tainted

I wonder what happened to Varys after Tyrion was kidnapped ? Did he stay in Volantis or continue on his journey to Meereen....guess we'll find out shortly.

sangreal

I wonder what happened to Varys after Tyrion was kidnapped ? Did he stay in Volantis or continue on his journey to Meereen....guess we'll find out shortly.

It's bizarre -- they haven't shown him since. Also that bit about the red priestess in Volantis never went anywhere.

I presume they are 'passing time' so he can believably show up in Meereen

Also, I don't think this has been discussed but Volantis is where Robb's wife was from

Ferrio

Banned
Blame GRR for taking an eternity to complete and release hos novels. Also, when they started the show, they would've assumed one of his last 2 novels would be publishef. Also, the show is a hit and they can continue into non-fiction realm taking storylines into new uncharted territory. Making shows costs a tonne of money and I doubt GOT can sit idle and eait for GRR to finish up.

Going to be like Fullmetal Alchemist. We'll get the GoT remake that follows the books strictly in 10 years.

AppleMIX

She doesn't know or care that Bran is alive. Her vow was to bring back Arya and Sansa

I think the only people that know Bran and Rickon are still alive are:
- Theon
- Ramsay
- Roose Bolton
- Jon Snow
- Samwell Tarley
- Osha, Hodor, etc.
- The Umbers, if Rickon ever made it there

Roose and Ramsay aren't even sure since they never heard from Locke again

Considering Theon's character ark, I would bet that he tells Sansa that her brothers are alive by the end of the season.

Brienne rescues Sansa (or tries to), tells them of the last whereabouts of Bran.

Loakum

Banned
Yes....Crow is definitely on the menu tonight....and I'm not talking about The men on the Wall. Several weeks ago, numerous folks here debated me saying, "Peter Balish is a father figure to Sansa." Well tonight's epidsode completely obliterates that theory! People here debated me saying, "King Joffery was worse than Ramsey Bolton." Again, tonight's episode showed how much BIGGER a monster Ramsey Bolton is than King Joffery. Dinner is served.

X1Ktlko.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom