• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Perhaps Kevan comes back? He did say he would return if Tommen personally asked for him. I can't think of anyone else, Jaime is stuck down in Dorne.

Plus I doubt Kevan would be happy seeing how far Lancel has gone.

In the over the top action show some want this to be, Tyrion shows up riding a dragon next episode and frees Cersei so he can kill her his self.

As opposed to the other boring and useless scenes they've shown so far.
It's just weird that they didn't even show some form of reaction, or acknowledgement from him.

They existence isn't that weird, as religious fanatics are everywhere, but their basically unchallenged rise in power was incredibly sudden, to an improbable degree, and felt more like a last minute idea to conjure up some drama in King's Landing.
I could've bought them as a fill for the power vacuum left by Tywin's death, if there had been some better foreshadowing, and a better build up of their ascension to absolute power.

By the way things have gone so far, i fully expect them to arrest the king next episode, and ride on the North, the one after.

That sudden rise to power was because Cersi gave them that incredible power.

They were just hungry fanatics on the streets before she had a brilliant idea to arm them and give them proper power and authoirty.

It's just weird that they didn't even show some form of reaction, or acknowledgement from him.

They existence isn't that weird, as religious fanatics are everywhere, but their basically unchallenged rise in power was incredibly sudden, to an improbable degree, and felt more like a last minute idea to conjure up some drama in King's Landing.
I could've bought them as a fill for the power vacuum left by Tywin's death, if there had been some better foreshadowing, and a better build up of their ascension to absolute power.

By the way things have gone so far, i fully expect them to arrest the king next episode, and ride on the North, the one after.

Yeah it feels like the sparrows could only exist as a threat in a power vacuum. They'd have no sway over Stannis, or the Boltons, or the Tyrells if they were in charge.

I don't think most of the scenes have been boring, or at least scenes with Varys by himself would be even more dry.

I'm just trying to figure out how you would even frame that. I guess maybe him telling a ship captain "one ticket to Mereen, please!"? There's nobody for him to banter with, which is what he does best.

Dr.Acula

Banned
That slave fight thing was shit.

Good to see that bitch getting locked up and the end though... still don't understand how the king kid can't just go there and get them, but whatever....

Also, congrats to Sam, his reaction was priceless.

Apparently the kings guard is kind of weak right now, and the fear that the cult would execute their prisoners should the king try and move on them. But mostly it was Cersei wanting to get the Tyrell's out of the way and making Tommen not go after them as she was using the cult to those ends. Hopefully Tommen realises he can probably go in there and kill everyone.

Curufinwe

Apart from the fallout from massacring a religious group with widespread public support, how is he going to go in there and kill them all without them killing his wife and his mother?

Oreoleo

Apart from the fallout from massacring a religious group with widespread public support, how is he going to go in there and kill them all without them killing his wife and his mother?
Considering how devoutly religious they are I doubt they would murder them without a fair trial, just to spite the King.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That slave fight thing was shit.

Good to see that bitch getting locked up and the end though... still don't understand how the king kid can't just go there and get them, but whatever....

Also, congrats to Sam, his reaction was priceless.
The thing is Tommen could just have the Kings guard march in there and kill the sparrows and rescue the Queen and his mother. Except his mother just convinced him that this was a terrible idea that would get the prisoners killed.
Not only did Cersei lay the trap that caught her, she also sabotaged the rescue attempt.

Who does he even have left as council? Potentially Littlefinger, although he wouldn't advise him in his best interest. Pycelle and Qyburn. That's it I think?

Without anyone guiding him I don't see him having any kind of success.

Curufinwe

Considering how devoutly religious they are I doubt they would murder them without a fair trial, just to spite the King.

Not unless the King provoked them.

The thing is Tommen could just have the Kings guard march in there and kill the sparrows and rescue the Queen and his mother.

There are only about five Kingsguard in Kings Landing. Jaime is in Dorne and Meryn Trant is in Bravos. Here's that photo again.

rd-tommen-at-sept-game-of-thrones-sons-of-the-harpy.jpeg

Why do you think they would be able to march in to the Sept and kill every one of the Faith Militant's fighters and get to Cersei and Margaery without them being harmed or at least held hostage at knife point?

Game4life

Banned

The bolded is spot on and I have not yet heard a compelling argument against it.

I like how they made you think Reek was going to light the candles with the music and the camera shots of a tower but then he ratted Sansa out. I'm going to keep on holding hope that he snaps out of it and rescues Sansa though, but knowing GoT it's probably never going to happen

it'd be kind of shit if someone rescues sansa now but i feel that's where this is heading. using her abuse to drive the development of another character, especially a male, would be really, really bad.

Not unless the King provoked them.

There are only about five Kingsguard in Kings Landing. Jaime is in Dorne and Meryn Trant is in Bravos. Here's that photo again.

rd-tommen-at-sept-game-of-thrones-sons-of-the-harpy.jpeg

Why do you think they would be able to march in to the Sept and kill every one of the Faith Militant's fighters and get to Cersei and Margaery without them being harmed or at least held hostage at knife point?

but the faith militant aren't trained fighters, are they? surely the kingsguard would be able to hold their own against a bunch of untrained fanatics? they haven't been shown to use anything like guerrilla tactics that would give them an advantage. also couldn't tommen call in the regular standing army/guards?

The bolded is spot on and I have not yet heard a compelling argument against it.

it feels like something that had to be highly contracted due to pacing issues. which is odd because the season feels like it also has a lot of slow filler. hmm.

ehh this show is just starting to feel utterly depressing. why did we have to have another female character almost raped? then far, far too many lingering shots of the sand snake lady's breasts. just felt strange.

i will say that the high sparrow is a fantastic character and beautifully acted. such a feeling of soft, graceful but utterly foreboding menace.

UrbanRats

I don't think most of the scenes have been boring, or at least scenes with Varys by himself would be even more dry.

I'm just trying to figure out how you would even frame that. I guess maybe him telling a ship captain "one ticket to Mereen, please!"? There's nobody for him to banter with, which is what he does best.

To be honest a 5 seconds scene in the episode where Jorah kidnaps Tyrion would've been enough.
I guess they can solve it in some way when they reintroduce him.

funkypie

Banned
I thought this series started off strongly but I don't like the religious fanatic storyline and I feel like the series is slowly turning to shit.

Metroxed

Has anyone else noticed a steep decline in the quality of this show? Almost everything about this season sucks.. And don't get me started on how ridiculous this faith militant thing is. In a show where most aspects of the plot are slow beyond description, these faith militant people are locking up queens over night.

And this whole thing in Dorne with Sand Snakes has been pretty dumb. Yeah, she has breasts, okay, that's nice, I guess, but I can get that anywhere... The show kinda sucks..

No, I haven't noticed. Perhaps because it hasn't happened.

To be honest a 5 seconds scene in the episode where Jorah kidnaps Tyrion would've been enough.
I guess they can solve it in some way when they reintroduce him.

Yeah. Might've been cool to show him looking about for a few moments, then kind of shrug it off and leave the tavern.

No, I haven't noticed. Perhaps because it hasn't happened.

I think it's fair to say that the pacing has slowed back down and that the novelty has worn off, but I'd agree that the actual quality hasn't faltered. I'm very much enjoying the procedings and pacing (save anything the Sand Snakes are involved in).

pringles

Just watched the episode. So I assume we once again have had people "speculating" in this thread who have read the books. Because that thing about Melisandre wanting Stannis to sacrifice his daughter was not something I could have guessed would happen but several people said it would happen a while back here.

Otherwise a solid episode but not great. The fighting pits scene was somewhat lame, good to finally see Tyrion and Jorah meet up with Daenerys at least.
I was scared Bron was gonna bite it.. phew. That scene was a bit painful overall though, felt like it was just there to get some nudity into the episode.
The stuff at winterfell is the most interesting right now.. Sansa is still so, so stupid. Good thinking, trusting the most mentally unstable person in Westeros who is little more than a lapdog for Ramsey. Sigh.

Cersei's scheming finally backfired, which was wonderful. I was waiting for that old sparrow to realize that Cersei is guilty of way worse crimes than Margaery and Loras. Interesting to see where it goes from here. The whole political landscape of King's Landing is a bit messy.. but I guess that's what happens when there is a weak little boy as King and no smart, dominant character like Tywin to back him up.

Vashetti

Banned
Just watched the episode. So I assume we once again have had people "speculating" in this thread who have read the books. Because that thing about Melisandre wanting Stannis to sacrifice his daughter was not something I could have guessed would happen but several people said it would happen a while back here.

There was a scene back in S4 between Melisandre and Selyse where it was made quite clear that Melly Sanders had plans for her, you must have forgotten about it or missed it.

sangreal

There was a scene back in S4 between Melisandre and Selyse where it was made quite clear that Melly Sanders had plans for her, you must have forgotten about it or missed it.

And it was reiterated again this season when Melisandre talked about how the lord of light doesn't care about her scars -- immediately followed by reaffirming Stannis' trust in her. Not to mention here history of wanting to sacrifice Baratheon heirs

Like most things this season it was very heavily hinted at to the point of being obvious

pringles

No I remembered that I just didn't see anything that would hint to specifically Stannis having to sacrifice her. Draw blood from her? Sure. Sacrifice? Seems too specific to just guess but okay.

MikeyB

I think that the criticism of slowness is being conflated with a lack of physical action. Maybe that's accurate for some criticisms, but not all. Slowness can also mean a lack of character development and a lack of plot movement. I think that's the most accurate criticism.

Let's take the ongoing Sansa suffering as an example. Compare her being shown her father's head with her rape. IIRC, they're about the same length. In the first scene, Joffrey's cruelty is taken to new heights, and I think there is a pretty important interaction between her and the Hound. On top of it, we see her stare at her father's head and deepen her hate of Joffrey. In the second, Ramsay asks about something we know and rapes her. Given the characters and the circumstances, it is expected. Reek's watching turns out to ve inconsequential so far. To add insult to injury, the Darth Sansa that people were raving about is apparently nonexistent. We may have seen it in her conversation with Ramsay last season, but it basically recapped his conversation with Roose and she didn't plant any seeds of discord, so whatever. Less character growth in the later scene.

We could also take Dany's power growth over the last several seasons. She went from an object to be sold, to the Khaleesi, to the mother of dragons, to the mother, to the breaker of chains or whatever, to being an incompetent ruler of a slave city. This season has seen her in the last role without change, with what we must assume is a diminished power base, but it is unclear whether she's in danger of being driven out of the city yet. No real growth in her.

If the game of thrones is about shifting power of houses, I'd argue that the majority of pieces have been static this season, with the exception of Tyrell, Lannister, and the Faith Militant - and even then those pieces have only moved in the last two episodes.

So, I don't need to see Tyrion ride a dragon to defeat the white walkers to be happy. I do need to be given more reason to care about those houses and those that belong to them and see them at least plan to make moves rather than have gratuitous sex scenes, Xena girl power clones, and gore with some magic and lore thrown in. Therein lies the path that True Blood walked and the road to ruin.

sangreal

No I remembered that I just didn't see anything that would hint to specifically Stannis having to sacrifice her. Draw blood from her? Sure. Sacrifice? Seems too specific to just guess but okay.

Gendry was going to be sacrificed too. The leeches were just a demonstration for Davos

Dennis

Banned
Frankenmountain probably busts Cersei out of the dungeon. He has to be used at some point and this seems like a good opportunity.

So what's Little Fingers next move?

He could possibly roll up to Tommen and say, I can fix this but you have to send your mother away if I do. Making himself hand in the process. Or he could just exit stage left and let the shit continue to hit the fan.

Vashetti

Banned
wouldn't shock me at all... unless Qyburn is one of the crazies

Qyburn seems to be Cersei's only friend, as she said she's quite fond of him and remarked to Pycelle that the Small Council wasn't small enough when him and Qyburn were the last members remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom