• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erebus

God the last few seconds of the episode were so satisfying. Hope this is just the start of things for Cersei's downfall.

nubbe

Does anyone else have a strong desire to rewatch the entire series after this season is over?

I feel like I've missed on a lot of subtle references and it's getting worse as the show continues. I've forgotten so many things that happened earlier in the series that I feel like a full rewatch would be beneficial, especially heading into season 6.

I have the series looping 24/7

Get In The Game

MikeyB

Also, the same number of events you listed for season 2 can be listed for season 5. Stannis prepares for a fight with Roose Bolton. Barristan ends up dead, with Danaerys having a long awaited interaction with a major character. Jorah contacts Greyscale, Jon is made Lord Commander, executes a prior Lord, then starts a rift between the Night's Watchmen and himself by siding with the wildlings. Also, a very important decision is that the wildlings are finally going to be shifted south of the wall. Things are building up to a head in Winterfell with the Boltons, Stannis, Brienne, Sansa and Littlefinger all headed to the same location. Cersei, Margaery and Loras are all imprisoned by the high sparrow. Really, a lot has happened this season; it's just that there hasn't been any one outright brilliant, which will probably come in spades from next episode onwards. Also, it's worth remembering that Season 3 also really only had three really good episodes until episode 8 of the season (and it even had a very sub-par finale). This season has also had three great ones (Kill the Boy, High Sparrow, and The Gift), and will likely have a spectacular finale from the way they are hyping it up.

Number? Sure. But we are talking about very different events. Aside from the High Sparrow/Cersei/Tyrrell story, none of the events you described are about shifting power (which is what the Game of Thrones was about to me). These are events in a character's life that don't really affect the power dynamics. This season' content treads very close to soap opera and reality TV.

Oh Ramsay that lovable bastard. He's such a trollolol.

I'm pretty sure they're blowing him up only because it's GoT and now that Joffrey is gone, they think we need a new focal point for our ire. Ergo show him doing all those psychopathic things, including the rape of Sansa and the flaying of her would be rescuer.

But the actor is great at it. And the character is more charismatic and eviller than Joffrey - who was basically a two-bit incest thug made into a bully-boy king. He's a thrones player Ramsay is - albeit not one that will get a throne, but certainly a far better character than the cardboard cutout that was Joffrey.

I mean, Cersei would be fine as the big bad, but they had to take her out - so in the mean time, given that Game of thrones always needs some sort of conflict character for the bleakness feel, Ramsay is going to be the prince of darkness for a bit - at least until we get some other character to play it up as the focal point of ire.

?? Ramsay...is pretty much the archetype of the 'bastard' degenerate...I don't see him being massively flesh out...I personally think the actor is doing a good job at the psycho, although it borders on the theatrical...Joffrey's actor did an awesome job on the shrill, cowardly, mentally unstable child in a position of ultimate power. Ramsay despite coming from a marginal position, benefits everybit as much from his connections. The dude would get squished if he wasn't Bolton's son. He looks pretty weedy.

farisr

My reactions this episode.

- Damn it Reek!

- Stannis you beter not agree to killing Shireen

- Sam about to wreck some shit, oh wait... maybe not, oh wait maybe... oh Ghost is here. Oh my.

- Tyrion is awesome, as usual.

- Tommen's finally gonna step up, oh wait he's not. Damn it Cersei.

- Jaime sure is in a fancy prison cell.

- Bronn you beter not die. Um... okay... that was not how I saw it going down. He lives!

- Oh yeah, Cersei's gonna get it now, Littlefinger has pointed Olenna in the right direction

- Oh great, Jorah and Tyrion are basically going to be in the lower pits till the end of the season when they finally get to the great one in mereen to meet dany... never mind, she's just coincidentally visiting the one they're at right now. Gladiator Jorah. Don't tell me Tyrion won't get free of his shackles and Dany won't hear out Jorah at all. Oh he made it. Well that saves us a lot of time.

- Cersei! Finally!

This was definitely the best ep of the season for me.

MartyStu

I think this episode has finally made me realize something:

I really like Sansa. This character has an amazing reserve of strength and resilience.

The biggest issue are the situations she is placed in. None of them foster growth, always stasis.

This is a new sensation for me. I have never stopped hating the show's version of Sansa until now.

Jarnet87

QFT, All they had to do was follow the book and the season would have been 100x better.

Besides Tyene in the last episode, there's nothing memorable about this season.

when you stop following the source material things usually go South. I plan on reading the books after this season is over. Trueblood used a lot of the stuff from the books, but season after season it strayed further until the show was a terrible mess.

Griss

I think this episode has finally made me realize something:

I really like Sansa. This character has an amazing reserve of strength and resilience.

The biggest issue are the situations she is placed in. None of them foster growth, always stasis.

This is a new sensation for me. I have never stopped hating the show's version of Sansa until now.

She's her mother's daughter from the hair colour to her hidden strengths. She's also her mother's daughter in that her mother wasn't a natural northerner (and wasn't happy about being sent to winterfell and marrying Ned) and Sansa has never come across as a natural northerner despite being a Stark. She was desperate to escape, and almost ashamed of her lame northern family, who really were all quite different from her. But like her mother grew into the role, Sansa is growing into hers. When she looked Ramsey in the eye while calling him a bastard, standing two inches taller than him, with no fear at all - that was pretty damn cool, and she looked every inch a Stark. She is still growing, I just hope the payoff is worth it.

Having rewatched the episode, though, I just don't know what they're going to do with Dany. The show will never be truly great while she's around and I'm afraid I have to give Emilia Clarke a fair amount of the blame. I think she's really poor from scene to scene, has little range, and is unfortunately in a show where we bounce from great female performance to another constantly (Olenna, Cersei, Margaery, Melisandre, Arya, Sansa) so Dany or these Sand Snakes stand out like sore thumbs by comparison. What a mess the writers are in with Dany, I have no idea at all how they solve it.

Well he did beast that bloodrider in season 1, but yea Dany fucked up by not keeping him around. Dude's smart and the best fighter he team had. Now he's fucking poison, good job Dany!

He didn't really beast him though. Dothraki got his blade stuck in Jorahs armor and it gave him the opening to slash his face. But otherwise, I agree, she should have kept him around. Might not be a better fighter than lame ass Daario, but he's definitely the wisest of the bunch.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
0/10 for this episode.

Highlight of the season is Sam finally losing his virginity after having his face smashed.

"Oh, my!"

I saw a nipple slip

>____>

Uhhhh the episode was okay. Things happened, I guess. Glad tyrion got to meet dany. Was afraid he'd meander for longer than that.

Yay ghost!!! It has been forever and a half!! Did they cut the budget or something? Haven't seen ghost in a very long time, I feel...

... Stannis camp has some energy.

Bleh Sam and gilly. Gaffing time everytime they come on screen.

Ramsay doing his thing :) heheh

More petyr pls

#TeamLittlefinger4Lyfe

Zaph

Glad to see Cersei get hers (even if it is at the hands of fantasy ISIS which I'm not completely buying), hope it continues. She's always been the worst player of the game of thrones, but never realised it because the family always cleans up after her. She's like a rookie getting his first shot - making big plays left and right, the manager is going nuts shouting at the captain to get him in check, the team's scrambling to try and make it work, any sense of strategy is falling apart, but the team is overpowered with foreign money so their combined experience leaves them able to make it work and come through with a win.

Now her manager has been killed, her captain is on the other side of the world on a fool's errand, half her team is dead and the other half want her dead, and now she's sitting in a cell wondering why her latest big play didn't work.

sangreal

Does anyone else have a strong desire to rewatch the entire series after this season is over?

I feel like I've missed on a lot of subtle references and it's getting worse as the show continues. I've forgotten so many things that happened earlier in the series that I feel like a full rewatch would be beneficial, especially heading into season 6.

I just rewatched it last week. It was so very worth it

LevelNth

Banned
I'm not sure why people are surprised that this season has predominately been set up rather than 'wow' moments so far, three MAJOR story arcs ended last season:

-The Joffrey Arc
-The Tywin Arc
-The Wildlings Arc

These arcs all came to the end of what they could, and now major new pieces require setting up.

-Stannis/Jon Snow and the Wildlings Arc has been shifted to the Winterfell march/sailing up north.
-Tywin arc is being split now between Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei's three storylines

Arya and Sansa's stories have continued at the same pace as previous, as has Dany's. It's all in line with the storytelling in previous seasons IMO.

Loakum

Banned
I saw a nipple slip

psst..after this Sand Snake's scene, Dany could had been completely topless singing "I'm an Reggae Targaryan", and it still pales in comparison.

5562a34d1aaec7043ea52155_game-of-thrones-sexual-assault-sand-snakes.jpg

Hard to imagine that Cersei didn't anticipate the guy spilling the truth at some point, given she knew he was involved with the Sparrows from the beginning. Guess she was too determined to get back at Margery.

Have to agree with a lot of people here though, this season feels pretty lackluster except for some awesome witty comebacks and epic moments like the Sam one this episode. Fucking ace.

This season feels like a sports team during a rebuilding year. They've lost most of their all-stars, the championships have been won, now its time to rebuild for the next run.

All the best storylines are finished in this show. Jon Snow has become Lord Commander. Tyrion has took revenge on Tywin. The Stark rebellion is done. Arya is out of the grasp of those looking for her. Theon has been changed. Littlefinger's plans to throw Westeros into Chaos and him reep the benefits is finished ( mostly ). Joffrey is dead. Everyone who used to be important, besides Dany and J. Snow are dead.

Now they are going in and rebuilding all the storylines again and getting them ready for the next run. Its just ... the current stories suck. Don't like a single one of them or where they are leading. I think the only storyline in this whole show that has stayed awesome from the jump is Arya. She was awesome on the run, she was awesome in the service of Tywin, she was awesome with the Hound, she is awesome where she is now, despite the incredible lack of screen time. Which is odd to me considering it is such a major time for her. You'd think this assassins training she is receiving would be a point of focus for the season since its something thats been building really since Season 1. But we'll see.

I can see where they want to go with the ending, so it could be pretty awesome. This season though, in this transition period of the story, just hasn't gotten it done. Hopefully it ends well and feeds into Season 6 letting us know Season 6 will be awesome.

Reek gonna Reek. I knew Sansa should have handled it herself. The tears shed last episode meant nothing. Best parts of this ep were Tyrion's 'fighting skills' and Cersei about to get her comeuppance. That Dark Knight quote about 'turning to a man they didn't fully understand' was in my head when she first conspired with that old man. She let lose her worst enemy: a religious fanatic with resolve.

RDreamer

Hard to imagine that Cersei didn't anticipate the guy spilling the truth at some point, given she knew he was involved with the Sparrows from the beginning. Guess she was too determined to get back at Margery.

I feel like this plot thread would have been better had Cersei given the High Sparrow power and then Lancel joined them.

I mean, I know Cersei isn't the absolute brightest tool in the shed, but come the fuck on. She's got the worst kept secret in King's Landing. Did she really think she'd be immune? After the actual queen was carried away?

I feel like this plot thread would have been better had Cersei given the High Sparrow power and then Lancel joined them.

I mean, I know Cersei isn't the absolute brightest tool in the shed, but come the fuck on. She's got the worst kept secret in King's Landing. Did she really think she'd be immune? After the actual queen was carried away?

Exactly. As soon as the Laurice was arrested it became so obvious what this was leading up to, I'm actually surprised the High Sparrow didn't go after Cersei first.

Probably because he wanted to bag Margery too? We have a new contender for the game if so.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was so afraid Gilly was gonna get raped by those guys. I'm proud of Samwell*. He finally got what he deserved. I thought we were gonna see Gilly though, but we got something just as good. Cutest sand snake ever.

*Stop autocorrecting that to Sawmill! Geeze!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I found it hilarious when she started yelling "I am the queen" yesterday. I mean, you haven't been queen since season 1 you idiot and they imprisoned the real queen sooner, you think that's going to be stop them?

I found it hilarious when she started yelling "I am the queen" yesterday. I mean, you haven't been queen since season 1 you idiot and they imprisoned the real queen sooner, you think that's going to be stop them?

LOL She's lorded herself over people so much during the show that I have to believe it's force of habit at this point

NEO0MJ

I think she made the same mistake as Olenna Tyrell and underestimated how sincere the High Sparrow is in his dedication to the gods and the texts.

Lyng

He didn't really beast him though. Dothraki got his blade stuck in Jorahs armor and it gave him the opening to slash his face. But otherwise, I agree, she should have kept him around. Might not be a better fighter than lame ass Daario, but he's definitely the wisest of the bunch.

The thing that bothers me the most is the Daario change. The original actor was flamboyant and cool. The new one comes off as a pretty boy with a butt that rivals Kim Kardashians.

Wait, that was it for the fighting pits?!? Since they went full Gladiator I expected an actual arena with actual people attending. What we got was some dude's backyard wrestling version.

RDreamer

Wait, that was it for the fighting pits?!? Since they went full Gladiator I expected an actual arena with actual people attending. What we got was some dude's backyard wrestling version.

The dude whose name I completely forgot at the moment told Dany this was a lower pit. So it's before the big actual games begin. Fighters probably compete to get into the big show.

wildfire

Banned
No, I'm complaining about people not respecting the thread rules despite the mods having repeated them over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Then direct your angst at the right person. I was the one who even brought up the speculation that the season was struggling because the books seemed to have similar problems. The people you decide to respond to were only correcting my false guess and they didn't do anything to elaborate on the matter.

They didn't do anything wrong.

sangreal

that was full gladiator... the scenes before they get to rome

as mentioned, that was a proving ground or something

sangreal

I thought that was great... She truly still believes she is queen, which explains a lot of her actions

or as Tywin would say, any woman who must say "I am the queen" is no queen (sorry Marge)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So exactly how contagious is Jorah right now? Does he still only have a small spot on his arm? Will people only catch greyscale if they touch that part? No one knows he has it yet I assume. Or has he been silently spreading it for days and no one knows?

sangreal

So exactly how contagious is Jorah right now? Does he still only have a small spot on his arm? Will people only catch greyscale if they touch that part? No one knows he has it yet I assume. Or has he been silently spreading it for days and no one knows?

I don't think it has really been explained, but I assumed they need to touch the grayscale -- the reason he couldn't touch the stonemen is they were 100% covered. I'm not sure on that but if not, then he just spread it to all those fighters

Exactly. As soon as the Laurice was arrested it became so obvious what this was leading up to, I'm actually surprised the High Sparrow didn't go after Cersei first.

Probably because he wanted to bag Margery too? We have a new contender for the game if so.

Maybe the higher goal is to get at the king? Imagine if they dethrone/execute him because of whatever they get out of Cersei. Similar to how Margery got caught (well, not really) in her lie. Cersei was probably just not first because the sparrows had to implement their reign first with her help.

Still wondering if it's really Littlefinger's doing.
I mean, it's a nice play. He got the signature that he can be warden of the north but had to get rid of Cersei because she would not allow Sansa to live. The Tyrell mother had the motivation to go through with pointing the incest out to the high sparrow while Littlefinger can remain in the background.

Just... it doesn't make sense since Cersei's boytoy should have already spilled the beans long ago.

sangreal

Maybe the higher goal is to get at the king? Imagine if they dethrone/execute him because of whatever they get out of Cersei. Similar to how Margery got caught (well, not really) in her lie. Cersei was probably just not first because the sparrows had to implement their reign first with her help.

It sounds like their goal is a popular rebellion and restoring the faith to the pre-targaryen ways

Still wondering if it's really Littlefinger's doing.
I mean, it's a nice play. He got the signature that he can be warden of the north but had to get rid of Cersei because she would not allow Sansa to live. The Tyrell mother had the motivation to go through with pointing the incest out to the high sparrow while Littlefinger can remain in the background.

of course it is -- he more or less admitted as much to olenna (depending on how you read that conversation)

Just... it doesn't make sense since Cersei's boytoy should have already spilled the beans long ago.

Yeah, this part makes no sense. Surely he admitted everything before getting branded. Maybe he didn't give names? I'm sure we'll find out more

I don't think it has really been explained, but I assumed they need to touch the grayscale -- the reason he couldn't touch the stonemen is they were 100% covered. I'm not sure on that but if not, then he just spread it to all those fighters

But then how do you explain Shireen getting it from a toy.

TheContact

I like how they made you think Reek was going to light the candles with the music and the camera shots of a tower but then he ratted Sansa out. I'm going to keep on holding hope that he snaps out of it and rescues Sansa though, but knowing GoT it's probably never going to happen

But then how do you explain Shireen getting it from a toy.

If I had to guess, someone with the disease touched the doll and then whatever it came in contact with would give the disease, and that's why they said they burned it after

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom