• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been thrown out in this thread for the past year basically.

After LF talked to Sansa about how the rebelion started (Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna Stark), coupled with the honorable Ned Stark coming home with a bastard boy with Stanis outright saying it wasn't his style to bang random whores, there is more than enough evidence that Jon is the offspring of Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark.

Ned doesn't kill kids, he didn't support assassination Danny in Season One and it's well within Ned's moral code to come back and be labled an adulterer than give up the fact that Rhaegar had a kid and have Robbert kill the kid. It's why Lyanna's death has basically been left to speculation, she probably died giving birth.

Hence Ned Stark's last words to Jon, "You don't have my name, but you have my blood".

La la la la la...not listening, not listening. *sticks head back in sand*

But...yeah.

La la la la la...not listening, not listening. *sticks head back in sand*

But...yeah.

It doesn't even matter for the war against The Walkers.

He isn't immune to fire, he burnt his hand way back. The only thing his possible offspring status will grant him is political opportunity after the war, which wouldn't fit his character as he had perfect oppourunity to be an official Stark.

"Oh wait, I'm Targaryen! That house that's basically dead and my father destroyed? Sure, I'll go break my oath as Lord Commander and be a Targaryen, even though I've never gave a shit about that family and will basically be spitting on my families grave"

I feel like this whole theory/plot line is a red herring. I can't see it logically doing anything or causing anything that wouldn't happen anyways. What, is Danny only going to help the Nights Watch because she (somehow) figured out that Jon is her brother?

If I had a guess, it's a guise of plot armor. "Oh, he's Targaryen, that means he's fitting into a bigger picture down the road, nothing can happen to him!"

What if the White Walkers are actually
the valyrians
??

That doesn't make any sense.

First off, White Walkers existed during the age of the first men, it's why there are age old fairy tales about the generation long winter and all that shit in the North.

Second, Valyria was halfway across the world.

Third, Targaryen is the main house of old Valyria, and I think they invaded Westeros to start with because their old home went boom. (like mentioned above)

ASIS

Man.. That finale..

-Best scene in the north
-Best Jon Snow scene
-Best White Walker scene
-Best Fight Scene

Yeah, shit was insane.

Curufinwe

It doesn't even matter for the war against The Walkers.

He isn't immune to fire, he burnt his hand way back. The only thing his possible offspring status will grant him is political opportunity after the war, which wouldn't fit his character as he had perfect oppourunity to be an official Stark.

"Oh wait, I'm Targaryen! That house that's basically dead and my father destroyed? Sure, I'll go break my oath as Lord Commander and be a Targaryen, even though I've never gave a shit about that family and will basically be spitting on my families grave"

I feel like this whole theory/plot line is a red herring. I can't see it logically doing anything or causing anything that wouldn't happen anyways. What, is Danny only going to help the Nights Watch because she (somehow) figured out that Jon is her brother?

If I had a guess, it's a guise of plot armor. "Oh, he's Targaryen, that means he's fitting into a bigger picture down the road, nothing can happen to him!"

He would actually be her nephew if the theory is correct.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Gotta love the mamouth armour on the giant.

cdzxT2D.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Who are the whitewalker leaders, and how did they come to be? I just want to know so much. Too bad they cant send a recon team into wherever the hell they came from to see the day to day life of the Whitewalker. Do they just walk all damn day? Clearly the leaders are capable of intellectual thought. Do they get bored walking all day?
We don't really know how the white walkers and the zombies work. In this episode the king raised the dead but in an earlier episode the dead crows came back to un-life spontaneously, seemingly following standard zombie lore. Does everyone they kill come back as a zombie eventually and the king just accelerated the process? Or does he actively raise the dead, and the zombie crows either played dead or were raised long distance somehow? Can he raise any dead, or just those the zombies killed? They really are a mystery, which is as it should be considering they were considered a myth until recently, but they will have to fill in some gaps eventually otherwise the audience will be lost.

All this makes me wonder how the white walkers were beaten before.

And part of me thinks that even though Job did some good they might not let him back into the castle and strand him on the other side.

We don't really know how the white walkers and the zombies work. In this episode the king raised the dead but in an earlier episode the dead crows came back to un-life spontaneously, seemingly following standard zombie lore. Does everyone they kill come back as a zombie eventually and the king just accelerated the process? Or does he actively raise the dead, and the zombie crows either played dead or were raised long distance somehow? Can he raise any dead, or just those the zombies killed? They really are a mystery, which is as it should be considering they were considered a myth until recently, but they will have to fill in some gaps eventually otherwise the audience will be lost.

PDS6x1F.gif

He started to turn a little after he died, and there wasn't any WW's around.

So my guess is they need to spread the curse that causes it. Most of beyond the Wall, specifically the area of Never Ending Winter is WW territory, so that curse that raises the dead is probably simply engraved and permanent in the area.

As for the Wraith in Caste Black, I forget, did he die in the castle or was he brought int past the wall?

And part of me thinks that even though Job did some good they might not let him back into the castle and strand him on the other side.

The Children of the Forest and The First Men. CotF had ass loads of magic, it's how they built that wall of ice and why the White Walkers can't get past it, it's imbued with magic, most likely the same shit that wizzard who controls the crows uses in his cave.

Unfortunetly the world is pretty much out of magic. Sure you have some dragons and the Lord of Light, but Dragon Glass is pretty much the only thing that can kill the WW and as of now it's impossible to craft more.

Im a little confused. Spoilers ahead for the 8th episode!

When John Snow deflected the White Walkers strike with the sword and then killed him, did he use his own sword? And if so, does that mean his sword has the same dragon stuff in it that the dagger Sam found had? Sorry if this question is confusing lol

Im a little confused. Spoilers ahead for the 8th episode!

When John Snow deflected the White Walkers strike with the sword and then killed him, did he use his own sword? And if so, does that mean his sword has the same dragon stuff in it that the dagger Sam found had? Sorry if this question is confusing lol

Just for future reference, once the episode airs you can openly talk about it, so you don't need to spoiler anything.

The only known thing that can stop a White Walker is Dragon Glass, which I think is made from volcanic shit and is basically Obsidian for all intents and purposes.

Obsidian is volcanic glass (hence, Dragon Glass), so Valyerian Steel is most likely forged incidentally with traces of Dragon Glass from the volcanic rock of Old Valyeria.

My guess is Old Valtyria forgers didn't even know they were making a weapon that could kill WW's, they just had material that made amazing swords and once their home went boom so did the ability to make swords with the Dragon Glass.

So yes, Jon used the sword that the old Lord Commander gave him, which was Jorah's dad. That sword was passed down for generations, as nobody can make Valyrian steel anymore.

Lorcain

One of the most disturbing parts of this episode for Jon and company should be the appearance of the white walker leadership obeserving from the high ground. They aren't just mindless thrawls. They are observing, thinking, and acting as generals and battlefield leaders. Jon needs to spread the word that their enemy is intelligent and creative.

Based on the armor and outfits the white walkers were wearing, it appears that symbols and decorative insignias hold importance to them. Again, that shows a higher intellect, which doesn't bode well for humanity.

It would be interesting if the oldest white walkers were corrupted First Men, with ties to all or most of the key families in play. We do know that some % of the intelligent white walkers are of Craster's bloodline.

Ramsay reminds me of Bronn. Didn't Bronn tell Tyrion " give me 20 good men and some spiked shoes and I'll penetrate the bitch. " in response to Tyrionn saying no army has penetrated the walls of the Vale? Something like that.

Ramsay is probably going just to break the moral of the army even more then it already is. He isn't going to try and kill everyone. That's just dumb. I really hope real bad things happen to him but doubtful

I though the idea was to try and assassinate Stannis. I figured he's get in the camp and end up in the clutches of Melisandre.

MikeyB

While I can suspend disbelief enough to accept armies of the undead, I have a tough time understanding how people in furs are going to survive being drenched in Arctic seas. They'd be hypothermic by the time they got to the boats.

Best episode this season by far.

Now we know Danerys' political goals, it will be really interesting to see how helpful Tyrion can be. He was always focused on manoeuvring politics rather than outright overturning them.

The best thing about the battle was that every time I thought it was going to end, (because of TV budget constraints) it kept going. Made it even more tense.

While I can suspend disbelief enough to accept armies of the undead, I have a tough time understanding how people in furs are going to survive being drenched in Arctic seas. They'd be hypothermic by the time they got to the boats.

Best episode this season by far.

Now we know Danerys' political goals, it will be really interesting to see how helpful Tyrion can be. He was always focused on manoeuvring politics rather than outright overturning them.

this ones on top and then that ones on top

and now she just wants targaryen on top again

not sure what she's changing unless she's about to bring democracy to westeros

I'll spoiler this just in case. But in regards to this sword by chance I ended up watching the "history & lore" stuff on the bluray extras so it just popped back into my head:

In the history & lore section of the bluray for season 4 I believe they had a part with Jorah talking about a bit of history and in it he talked about how when he shamed his family name he left behind the sword to go to a more worthy successor.

Now is anyone else going to watch that last 20 minutes again real soon? I know I plan to tonight, got me all hype.

No reason to spoiler that, he told John that when he gave him the sword.

So, what's everyones theory on Arya's storyline and how it's going to fit into the White Walker war? At this point I feel everything that has to do with "gods" is connected to the coming winter and the White Walkers. I remember Melisondra talking to Arya about "the darkness in your eyes, with green, blue, bla bla bla" and how they will meet again.

So clearly that was foreshadowing her going to Bravos and becoming a member of the many face god.

Now personally, I think she is going to be a wild card, and the god of death isn't some neutral thing that people are making it out out to be. I saw a post a few pages back about the White Walkers having agents in the living kingdoms, but I'm not buying that theory, at least not the one presented.

Everyone keeps going on about souls, like the Lord of Light needs souls to be cleansed in fire before they can depart the body and be free or some shit. The Lord of Death needs souls too, and if you actually think that souls is important and fire isn't just some chemical reaction that destroys the ability for the White Walkers to take over dead bodies, I think there is a connection with the God of Many Faces and The White Walkers. It seems they both use bodies as empty vessels for their own doing.

I don't know, it's just a feeling. If any religion is a sleeper cell for the White Walkers in the land of the living, I can't think of a better suited one than the God of Death. While Lord of Light seems to be in direct conflict with the White Walkers, the god of death just kills people, seemingly random as of now but who knows what the next target is going to be. If the point of Arya is to create an assassin that can kill a king... or queen, that could seem like a neutral act, but obviously completely destabilizes the conflict with the White Walkers and can end any chance of stopping them.

Venture

They have ships so they're just sailing around the wall. He couldn't get trapped on the other side.

The Children of the Forest and The First Men. CotF had ass loads of magic, it's how they built that wall of ice and why the White Walkers can't get past it, it's imbued with magic, most likely the same shit that wizzard who controls the crows uses in his cave.
Wasn't the wall built by men? Bran The Builder and all that.

zma1013

I thought the giant was gonna go down then we'd have an undead giant. What happens if a giant gets infected with dragon scale, then gets killed by white walkers, then turns into an undead dragon scale giant?

They have ships so they're just sailing around the wall. He couldn't get trapped on the other side.

Wasn't the wall built by men? Bran The Builder and all that.

Yea, It was built by the first men (Bran the Builder), Giants and imbued with magic from the Children of the Forrest.

cormack12

Gold Member
Episode was phenomenal. Fight scene was great. Down to dissecting then.....

Olly is really making me nervous with his questions. I think he knows something or is hearing whispers from other members in the castle. Maybe the First Ranger? Does Olly steward for Ser Alliser now Jon is not there? Because that's where I imagine he's hearing all these thoughts that confuse him. Bearing in mind Jon's arc this season as well, following the Robb Stark 'higher and higher' theme, it makes me really think terrible things are afoot for him :*( I really hope not, but this is Thrones and would be typical.

Regarding Jon's lineage though and the common theory he has
targaryen
blood in him
(from the Wylla, Ned, bastard, Melisandre dialogues in various seasons)
, then it seems to me to be a perfect plot link to finally get
Danerys into Westeros
. It's a story I can see Varys selling very well to his audience and inciting them to do something rash - like
rushing to Westeros

I was really gutted they killed off the Wildling lady. That was so obvious when she set her children on the boat and didn't get on with them. She was a decent fighter. The kids were spooky, at first I thought she saw someone she recognised, it is possible these were Wilding children after all. But damn, she was good.

Disappointed we didn't get to see Olenna though. Wanted to see her reaction to the Cersei thing. Doubt we'll see her with Little Finger again. He tends to play a card then sink back into obscurity for a little time. I think the fact he's not sending news to the Boltons about the precariousness of the throne speaks volumes for his intentions though. I think Cersies position is in a nice juxtaposition to her speech to LF in an earlier season - power is power. And in this case it belongs to the High Sparrow. I'd be interested to know if Margaery now knows she is sharing the block with her. She seems to be screaming and wailing a lot.

Ramsay is such a fearless bastard. It's hard not to admire him. He's a Heathcliff type with no Cathy to murky the waters of man crushes. However, he's also a prick. Goes with the territory. That one scene with his top off ready to fight Yara encompasses everything great about him. But he is due a comeuppance. Brienne will probably follow him, and be led to Stannis. Two of the three should fall I reckon, but only one will just to keep the plot threads alive.

Tyrion's scenes were very good with Dany, made you see immediately what she has been missing from all her other advisers and whisperers. Also means ti shouldn't be too long before she is up to speed on Westeros and ready to go there. Jorah's tale is set to end soon. A tale of pure tragedy, where every day he fights in the pits, so every day he gets to see the Queen and beg forgiveness with what little remains of his life.

Arya's 'training' is quite low key still. Poison is a good choice, simply replace the vinegar. Seems a little too easy for a first assassination. I think the real challenge here is getting away. Obviously Jaqen can change his face, Arya can't and will no doubt be getting chased - I think that's why the other girl was saying she isn't ready. Will Arya have to utter a prayer to get a different face to survive? Will she be meticulous in her planning?

There's a few threads to wrap up in two episodes, especially when on of the episodes looks to be dedicated entirely to the Baratheon/Bolton battle. I can see a massive cliffhanger whatever as it sort of snips off where everyone is up to.

Lorcain

Seems like a cool guy.
I like how his head spikes resemble a crown. Awesome design.

I love the idea that there could be human agents of the white walkers infiltrating the Eastern and Western kingdoms, creating discord. It would be cool to learn that the white walker leadership has been also playing the game of thrones to keep the kingdoms weak.

ZeroCDR

I have to say I started cracking up when Jon started fighting the sub-boss, got tossed twice and he got hit with the blunt side of the WW's weapon, that's Supernatural levels of plot armor.

AN ACTUALLY SATISFYING EPISODE

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Tyrion and Dany finally plotting together was already good enough, but then they take my favourite part of this series - Jahn Snahw - and send his tale into overdrive. Absolutely fantastic episode.

Who else has a Valyrian sword?

AN ACTUALLY SATISFYING EPISODE

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Tyrion and Dany finally plotting together was already good enough, but then they take my favourite part of this series - Jahn Snahw - and send his tale into overdrive. Absolutely fantastic episode.

Who else has a Valyrian sword?

From last page:

Here's an image with a list of Valaryian Steel swords both known and lost to time someone made a few seasons ago.

Not posting the image itself in case it's considered a spoiler just to be safe.

Disgraced

I like how his head spikes resemble a crown. Awesome design.

I love the idea that there could be human agents of the white walkers infiltrating the Eastern and Western kingdoms, creating discord. It would be cool to learn that the white walker leadership has been also playing the game of thrones to keep the kingdoms weak.
...Little Finger maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom