• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think you gotta get 'em at the source. So I guess Horny Walker needs to be put down. I bet Fire works wonders too. I wonder if there's an Ice god? I mean the series is called a Song of Ice and Fire :lol

That might be the case but there were plenty willing to wade around in the water. I just think they didn't follow them because:

1. Who knows how well they float - they're at varying stages of decay maybe some do and some don't. Also they were carrying metal weapons and in some cases armour, swimming would be awkward or they'd sink.

2. Can they even swim? Swimming wasn't a universal skill in medieval times, so probably not in GoT either. Even if some of them could when they were alive, would they know how now? And even a good swimmer would have difficulty outpacing a boat - it seems like a lost cause, especially to chase a handful of people - they would never have reached the rest of the ships. I doubt a living army would swim after an enemy either.

3. Even if they could swim and catch up to the boat, treading water while flailing around with an axe is not a particularly effective combat technique, they'd be sitting ducks. (Or floating ducks).

Swimming just didn't seem an realistic option - but I don't see why they can't just use boats. Unless there's some plot device of which I'm not aware. (Probably is.)

I'm more interested in what it takes to kill a wight. I doubt zombie rules apply (destroy the brain) as they're animated by magic and some of them are little more than skeletons. So at what point do they 'die'? Do you just have to hit them enough and they go down? Most of them are so fucked up anyway it'd be hard to envisage a 'killing blow'. Do you have to dismember or decapitate them?

If they wanted Jon dead they could have easily had the whole army of the dead start lobbing their weapons onto the small raft.

The White Walkers were sending a message, "Sure, you killed one of us, but good luck dealing with this". Que the dude turning his head and postering "how do you like this shit?" as the entire port is resurrected.

As said before, Sam was spared for seemingly no reason, they can think beyond, "Must kill all men", they know the value of sending back a leader who has just seen hundreds of dead flinging themselves off a cliff and not giving a fuck.

It seems the only way to completely kill a Wight is to burn them, which is most likely the Lord of Light lifting the curse of the White Walkers over the bodies. Someone get a raven to Kings Landing, we're gonna need a lot more wildfire.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
If they wanted Jon dead they could have easily had the whole army of the dead start lobbing their weapons onto the small raft.

The White Walkers were sending a message, "Sure, you killed one of us, but good luck dealing with this". Que the dude turning his head and postering "how do you like this shit?" as the entire port is resurrected.

As said before, Sam was spared for seemingly no reason, they can think beyond, "Must kill all men", they know the value of sending back a leader who has just seen hundreds of dead flinging themselves off a cliff and not giving a fuck.

It seems the only way to completely kill a Wight is to burn them, which is most likely the Lord of Light lifting the curse of the White Walkers over the bodies. Someone get a raven to Kings Landing, we're gonna need a lot more wildfire.

And dragons.

Lot's of dragons.

Zaph

I thought it was pretty clear the shattered that happens when dragonglass/valyrian steel hits them is also perma-death? And everything else is just a time-out until respawn.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Isn't the whole premise of the wildlings farming the gift (regions right below the wall),a bit silly right now? How the hell are they going to grow anything if winter comes? Is there anything you can grow under meters of snow? Unless they are going to use all those dead wildlings as fertilizer.
They must have some way of generating food during the winter as Roose said they have 6 months of food at winterfell which ain't gonna cut it for decades of winter.

poppabk

I'm more interested in what it takes to kill a wight. I doubt zombie rules apply (destroy the brain) as they're animated by magic and some of them are little more than skeletons. So at what point do they 'die'? Do you just have to hit them enough and they go down? Most of them are so fucked up anyway it'd be hard to envisage a 'killing blow'. Do you have to dismember or decapitate them?
Yeah we saw a wight with an arrow through his head that was still attacking. I'm more interested in how they become the undead, do they have to be bitten to automatically turn, can the king raise all the dead or just those killed by wights? What is the range of this power? It's gonna be important, because if he can raise the dead on the other side of the wall, Castle black is in trouble.

Episode 8 is great as everyone is saying. Last night I was talking to my brother about some of the aspects of the episode and the story up to this point and we were having a hard time remembering all the different facts and people. So I decided to go back and watch Episode 1 Season 1 again to see how much more clear it would be. It was amazing how much more sense it all made when you understand the world and the people living in it. The first time someone is name dropped you have no idea who they are or how they belong in the story. So I watched, with headphones (so much better sound and scarier with my PS Golds ha), and took notes. I took like a page lol! If you care to read here are some cool facts about Season 1 Ep 1 that I have a bigger appreciation for now:

Show intro map only has the Wall, Winterfell, King’s Landing, and Pentos. Cool it only shows the areas introduced to us so far and adds as time goes on. Now there are so many cool cities on the map with Maureen looking the coolest to me with the pyramid and statue on top.

The beginning shows 3 Crows being ambushed by White Walkers. 1 of them is a little girl with her mouth sewn shut. She doesn’t look like a zombie/army of the dead sort she looks WW with the blue eyes and white skin. Is she a WW?

The Starks find the dead Dire Wolf and take a pup for each of the 5 Stark children but then Jon finds the runt of the liter for himself after Theon makes fun of him for not being a Stark. He gets a pup so sign he is a Stark? But fuck you Theon you get no wolf. Also it is said again that the Dire Wolf should not be south of the wall, alluding to coming winter problems. Plus how did it get around the wall?

The funeral of the Hand of the King is shown. Jamie and Sis are talking about how he may have known about incest and boom he is dead. The crazy woman (Lysa, who is Catelyn Stark’s sister) from the Eyrie, with the Moon Door, was married to this Hand of the King. She fled after his death to the Eyrie because she knew the Lannisters killed him and she warns about the King. I had known idea she was that entwined in King’s Landing since she is so bat shit crazy. Imagine breast feeding a 9 yr old in the capital haha.

Of course Bran is thrown from tower for seeing the incest among the Lannisters. So that is a probable murder and attempted murder for knowing that information. They also make him a great climber and acrobatic until his fall (foreshadowing! As usual ha)

Winterfell has one of those beautiful trees with the red leaves in it. I feel these are connected to Bran’s powers and visions right? I think I remember that being important in his arch.

The Hound is in the King’s entourage. I forget how awesome he looked in the Hound helmet.

I forget how much Sansa wanted to be queen and how flirty she was with Joffrey. She was crushing on him hard at the start. She hated him so much at the end I forgot this dynamic.

I feel time and travel is hard to grasp in the theory. People go places but how long does it take? The King’s entourage took 30 days to travel from King’s Landing to Winterfell for reference. Maybe that is why Gendry is still rowing and rowing….

The King visits the tomb of Lyanna, Ned’s Stark’s sister, and is very mournful. He truly loved her. The last Targaryen King Rhaegar apparently took her and this ended with her death. He says he kills him every night in his sleep and Ned says they killed all the Targaryens but King Robert says not all (introduce Dany and brother). This kidnapping seems to be the catalyst for Robert to take over the Iron Throne and explains why Ned helped. I am guessing the Lannisters helped to gain power and married into the family to elevate their name. Also explains why Robert doesn’t love Cersei because his true love was Lyanna. *All this information is hard to comprehend when you haven’t met most characters or understand the world.

Dany gets into scolding hot water without flinching. Maybe this is related to her being immune to flames (heat) or maybe she is just that depressed about her future.

Jorrah is at the wedding of Dany and Draggo. I forgot that he has been there from the start.

The Dragon Eggs came from a place called the “Shadow Lands.” I don’t remember hearing that name since.

tl:dr watching old episodes are helpful and you understand so much more of what is being said

Curufinwe

In what universe is Ramsay of royal descent?

Gendry was the bastard son of the guy who killed the Mad King's son and became King of Westeros by conquest.

Ramasay is the bastard son of the guy who killed the King in the North and became Warden of the North by conquest. I think his blood will do just fine.

Nameless

Isn't he of the blood of House Bolton?
Is that not good enough?

The only royal blood we know has significance is Targaryen blood, which flows through the Baratheon line as well. The original patriarch of House Baratheon was Orys Baratheon, who was the bastard half brother of Aegon The Conquerer and his sisters, Visenya and Rhaenys.

Similarly, Jon is likely the bastard nephew of Daenerys and Viserys, hence Melisandre's spidey senses tingling in his presence.

Khaz

I had strong "Army of Darkness" vibes while watching this episode. I'm surprised the deadites didn't try to follow them in water, I suppose they forgot how to swim.

I thought book readers were not allowed here?

Uhh, that theory

A) Has been talked about to death out in the open.
B) Is completely based off scenes from the show.

There are more than enough hints from Season 5 alone to show his probable lineage isn't from Ned, but from a Targayrien and Ned's Sister. Melisandre alone is enough proof that Jon has some type of royal blood line in him.

Nameless

I thought book readers were not allowed here?

Not a book reader. It's something the show has started to hint pretty heavily. Aegon and his sisters have been mentioned on the show as well, and the history of the houses comes from the History & Lore series included in each season's blu-Ray.

mokeyjoe

Yeah, I think fear is part of their offensive strategy, as with any army. If they can get half their potential opponents fleeing in terror then it can only be a plus.

Yeah we saw a wight with an arrow through his head that was still attacking. I'm more interested in how they become the undead, do they have to be bitten to automatically turn, can the king raise all the dead or just those killed by wights? What is the range of this power? It's gonna be important, because if he can raise the dead on the other side of the wall, Castle black is in trouble.

I'm assuming that they can raise anyone who is recently dead that's in the immediate vicinity - like line of sight range. I don't think they need to be killed by wights. John told Stannis to burn the bodies after the battle last season, so I'm assuming any fresh corpse is a potential wight. With that said some of those wights looked like old corpses - although they may continue to decay slowly after being raised (like in The Walking Dead).

Yeah, I think fear is part of their offensive strategy, as with any army. If they can get half their potential opponents fleeing in terror then it can only be a plus.

I'm assuming that they can raise anyone who is recently dead that's in the immediate vicinity - like line of sight range. I don't think they need to be killed by wights. John told Stannis to burn the bodies after the battle last season, so I'm assuming any fresh corpse is a potential wight. With that said some of those wights looked like old corpses - although they may continue to decay slowly after being raised (like in The Walking Dead).

I think anyone who dies north of the wall is cursed.

When those bodies rose in Castle Black, they were brought in dead, so those bodies were cursed and brought in through the gate.

I think the Night King simply accelerated the process to fuck with Jon.

mantidor

Yea, that'd be way OP if the normal zombies were immune to everything too.

They are way too OP already.

Fast as hell.
Skilled with weapons.
Normal tropes like shot in the head does not stop them.

The only hope is fire or whatever magic the children/three-eyed raven have, when bran and co. were scaping the wights they disintegrated once they entered that cave.

Crispy75

The funeral of the Hand of the King is shown. Jamie and Sis are talking about how he may have known about incest and boom he is dead. The crazy woman (Lysa, who is Catelyn Stark’s sister) from the Eyrie, with the Moon Door, was married to this Hand of the King. She fled after his death to the Eyrie because she knew the Lannisters killed him and she warns about the King.

This is what we thought for a long time, but then last season they revealed that actually Lysa helped plan her husband's murder with Littlefinger, whom she loved instead. She framed the Lannisters for the murder.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Look how fucking smart Tyrion is, he removed that dude that dany despised until she could come around. He knew she wouldn't have any of it when she was questioning him.

mokeyjoe

Look how fucking smart Tyrion is, he removed that dude that dany despised until she could come around. He knew she wouldn't have any of it when she was questioning him.

Yeah, you could kinda sense he was feeling her out as he was speaking, reading her and manipulating her, presenting possible options and seeing how she reacted, making her think that any decision was hers. At least that's the impression I got. Jorah's a potential asset, but at the same time Tyrion wouldn't want her trusting him above himself. Of course no-one knows about the greyscale.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yeah, you could kinda sense he was feeling her out as he was speaking, reading her and manipulating her, presenting possible options and seeing how she reacted, making her think that any decision was hers. At least that's the impression I got. Jorah's a potential asset, but at the same time Tyrion wouldn't want her trusting him above himself. Of course no-one knows about the greyscale.

Exactly, well put.

Man, That Cubone dude that Thormund killed probably took the biggest L in this episode.. Imagine getting your ass beat with your own go-to weapon.
6cb7uok-png.1331
. Dude was surrounded by his homies and nobody even dared to step up for him lmao. that was bad way to die.

Jon Snow killcam:
jon-snow-killed-a-white-walker.gif

I've been thinking about which major character is going to die this next 2 episodes.. Khaleesi.. Im definitely going to chalk her up now as the one who will make it out alive this season. I've seen no opposition towards her that made me feel worried one bit about her. The issus she been dealing with were nothing compared to the crap others has to put up to.
Sansa is safe so as arya.. If they kill either one of them this next 2 episodes it will be poorly done because there is just not enough build up to it. So with that I think writers will spare them this season.
Jon Snow though
francis.png
... he's been getting a crap ton of screen time and character building lately.. Im worried :((( . Thet fucker Ollie got something up in his sleeve for JS and company. shitttt.
Ramsay hmmm.. I have no clue. dude sounded so confident like he will accomplish that stealth mission with 20 good men on 100% completion in quickest WR time possible and all gold coins snatched w/o glitch help even before doing it. I want him to die but the writers will probably let him live for the net season just to piss us off..
Jorah.. I think he will do great in the tourney until the disease take over and he turns into a stoneman in the middle of the tourney for all of the mareen to see.
I doubt Stannis and Roose will end this season.. I feel that were just in the beginning of Bolton barratheon rivalry.
Or maybe Stannis will die and Jon Snow will take over the commend giving him the Crows + Wildlings + Barratheon army to try take over the north vs boltons while saving us from white walkers.. whoa. a string Jon Snow W's needs to happen though so very unlikely.
So that leaves me with Tommen.. I think he dies. just because of how this season started (young cersei at the witch house).. Not sure how Cersei will save herself. None of the people she knows can do anything. and Those who can do something probably likes the fact she is suffering and wants her to be there forever.

Lets just flip it on its head as everyones assuming Ramsays going to go in and be successful.

What if Stannis captures Ramsay and provides the witch with the Royal Blood she needs?
The idea that Ramsey knocks Stannis down with 20 men, someone who is supposed to be the best battle commander seems completely unrealistic to me. I'm trying to be ready to not roll my eyes at this point...

Danny's storyline is the best it's been since season 1 this year. Her interaction with Tyrion was fantastic.

I wonder who Jon will tell about his evisceration of that White Walker. Obviously they (probably Sam) will figure out the connection to dragon fire, but you'd imagine that will be valuable, and possibly troublesome information.

Ollie is looking real malicious right now too. Probably sharpened the fuck out of those arrows while they were away.

mokeyjoe

Jon Snow though... he's been getting a crap ton of screen time and character building lately.. Im worried :((( . Thet fucker Ollie got something up in his sleeve for JS and company. shitttt.

Jorah.. I think he will do great in the tourney until the disease take over and he turns into a stoneman in the middle of the tourney for all of the mareen to see.

I don't think the disease can suddenly take over that quickly, I think the onset can be really slow, might take years. Either he's killed in battle or he lives and gets sent away questing or something.

Jon is probably most vulnerable now - probably from Olly, and I don't think the rest of the Crows are fans. I don't know if he'll die though. Maybe get stabbed, be dying and then gets saved by some Melisandre magic or something. Maybe that'll be the series cliffhanger. I think they were setting something up with him and her so when she's done with Stannis (who will, one way or another, be lost to her in the upcoming episodes), I think Jon needs to be around in some way. Just speculating.

SummitAve

Banned
Not a book reader. It's something the show has started to hint pretty heavily. Aegon and his sisters have been mentioned on the show as well, and the history of the houses comes from the History & Lore series included in each season's blu-Ray.

When/How has the show hinted at it heavily? I feel like I've missed something completely.

mantidor

When/How has the show hinted at it heavily? I feel like I've missed something completely.

I think many book readers and spoiled non-book readers have the benefit of hindsight a little more than they would think, even when the show is already departing heavily from the books.

As a non book reader who was spoiled anyway, I just prefer to discuss what happened in the show and not talk about theories.

poppabk

The idea that Ramsey knocks Stannis down with 20 men, someone who is supposed to be the best battle commander seems completely unrealistic to me. I'm trying to be ready to not roll my eyes at this point...

Danny's storyline is the best it's been since season 1 this year. Her interaction with Tyrion was fantastic.
I think Ramsey intends to sow fear and discontent in Stannis and his army, which we know he has the ability to do. I do wonder if he is going to kill the girl and inadvertently give Stannis the power he needs to get victory. The other thing I think might happen is some kind of betrayal by Melissandre, because she seems more suited to Ramsay and the Boltons than she is to Stannis.

Prine

Banned
Feeling the same about Jon and Olly. Little shit is going to do something and kill my boy Jon. I'll be a nervous wreck watching next week episode :(

sangreal

Feeling the same about Jon and Olly. Little shit is going to do something and kill my boy Jon. I'll be a nervous wreck watching next week episode :(

I don't know about killing Jon but he is definitely going to be a problem. Someone else suggested he may go after Tormund (since Olly brought him up). Too bad Aemon wasn't around to give him advice -- Sam is way too naive.

I don't trust the rest of the Nights Watch either

purg3

slept with Malkin
I don't think Ramsey intends to sow fear and discontent in Stannis and his army, which we know he has the ability to do. I do wonder if he is going to kill the girl and inadvertently give Stannis the power he needs to get victory. The other thing I think might happen is some kind of betrayal by Melissandre, because she seems more suited to Ramsay and the Boltons than she is to Stannis.

I can see him and his dudes stealthing in at night, remember the weather is already terrible and Stannis' men probably aren't used to the Northern winter. They will probably get into the camp undetected and silently take some people out. Predicting either Stannis or his family gets got. With him gone, no way his men stick around in that weather.

Prine

Banned
I don't know about killing Jon but he is definitely going to be a problem. Someone else suggested he may go after Tormund (since Olly brought him up). Too bad Aemon wasn't around to give him advice -- Sam is way too naive.

I don't trust the rest of the Nights Watch either

I hope so ;(

Fun fact: Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) is of royal blood, he's a descendent of King Charles II. But you can tell by those beautiful locks of his.

Personally I think one of the major deaths could be Davos. If Shireen ends up being sacrified, Davos will probably lose his shit and try and kill Melisandre, which may result in his own death. Jorah's not in a great spot either, I can see him getting taken down fighting for Dany. I don't want to believe Ramsay can kill Stannis with only 20 men, that plan will surely fail.

Nikodemos

Fun fact: Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) is of royal blood, he's a descendent of King Charles II. But you can tell by those beautiful locks of his.
He even resembles his ancestor a bit, notably when wearing a thin moustache. Look at a painting of young Charles and you'll see it.

Guys watch out from Cast of Kings`episode. They give some book insight that comes out of left field, and I just hear enough before moving away my earphones. It's just small backstory from the WW King, but I would have preferred to find out through the show...

Then again, know that I am anal about spoilers. I was really pissed when I found out Cersei would be the 'hand' of the King this season before it came out, despite me being capable of figuring out myself.

rocK`

Banned
just saw the episode - it's implied but not explicit, the sword jon snow picked up in that gif was made of dragon glass? or something else?

Lorcain

I think Roose most likely knew that Ramsey was going to volunteer for crazy mission outside the walls of Winterfell. He was counting on it. I don't believe he cares at all about Ramsey, and has been using him (tolerating him) as a weapon. With Winterfell secured, and Sansa part of his family, he doesn't have a need for Ramsey anymore. Roose has nothing to lose by letting his monster of a son charge out to fight Stanis.

If Ramsey inflicts damage or wins, that's an unlikely bonus. If he dies, well that clears a major liability off the game board, and paves the way for Roose's future children.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's obvious that Olly is going to do something soon, hell, we've seen him more this season than that other dude(forgot his name) who hated Jon for the past seasons, but was still made First Ranger by him.

I don't think he's going to kill Jon(why the fuck would he?), but I'm sure he'll have something to do with the death of Tormund at least, that kid fucking hates the wildlings and this guy led the assault on his village, so he got good reasons for it.

It's obvious that Olly is going to do something soon, hell, we've seen him more this season than that other dude(forgot his name) who hated Jon for the past seasons, but was still made First Ranger by him.

I don't think he's going to kill Jon(why the fuck would he?), but I'm sure he'll have something to do with the death of Tormund at least, that kid fucking hates the wildlings and this guy led the assault on his village, so he got good reasons for it.

Am I the only one that noticed Olly looking at the food he had just given sam? Seemed like something weird was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom