• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Lol who said anything about food falling from the sky? Through their "fire god's influence" maybe they find an abandoned village with lots of food or the marching Wildlings that can help them fight (or forced to join Stannis).

They're only running out of food because the storm is preventing them from moving forward.

Razmos

Yikes, I was chatting with my friend about the show recently and he said Stannis absolutely wouldn't and couldn't burn Shireen, that he was too good a guy for that, he practically shot me down for even suggesting it (Stannis is his favourite character).

Gonna message him tomorrow after he's seen it, mwhahaha
c9d7fa6702f09a2c4c25883c4e3e2a80.gif

mujun

I don't know what it is. This season just seems so cheesy with crazy coincidences and nick of time rescues. Not to mention seemingly weird abuse of logic for the sake of the story (Unsullied, religious fanatics, etc).

I might be off but the season on the whole doesn't seem as "clever" as the show has up until this season.

How do you know they killed them ?

I was wondering... I mean, the kid that's only ribs is disgusting and really cool but did he die like that? It seems weird (and also disgusting) to think the Wrights ripped him into ribs. I guess at the time I thought that kid had starved to death and then rose up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I know there's a ton of arguments over whether this is violating Stannis' established character. Maybe, maybe not. But to me what he did fits within the role Stannis is playing. Every character has some quality that is a counterpoint to their primary self.

In the overall drama, Stannis has been the closest thing to a traditional, law-abiding and noble king who actually cares about the realm. But it can't be that simple, so Stannis has a huge flaw: the ends justify the means. Stannis will talk himself into doing anything - even if with extreme reluctance - if he believes it is the only way to save the realm from itself.

And unfortunately that makes him his own kind of monster. He can't see how becoming the one true king might be for naught if he turns into an empty psychopath along the way. He relies on the letter of the law to guide him and make everything turn out right. But he has sacrificed his conscience in the service of it.

MadD4mon

Yes, because the White Walkers are firmly against child murder

hmPwhII.gif

Even if the White Walkers killed these children, there won't be a public outcry about this because it is already established that they are monsters. I mean, look at them.

With the Stannis the former Mannis, the show tried to convince us in the current season that he is a good father. An image which he burnt to the ground is the latest episode.

Erebus

So judging from next episode's promo and Danny's arc in the books, I assume we're not gonna see any scenes with her until next season.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't know what it is. This season just seems so cheesy with crazy coincidences and nick of time rescues. Not to mention seemingly weird abuse of logic for the sake of the story (Unsullied, religious fanatics, etc).

I might be off but the season on the whole doesn't seem as "clever" as the show has up until this season.
A lot of the politics have been sidelined. Other than littlefinger there isn't really anyone scheming (except Olly that little bastard) people are just acting or reacting straightforwardly and often stupidly. The show has definitely lost something in that transition, but it was kind of inevitable that we would lose some of that as the scope expanded.

Sanjay

My problem with Emilie is that I think she's an absolutely fine actress when delivering really specific lines in equally specific scenes. I think her weakness is the role she was cast. She, as an actress, resonates a soft, non-threatening aura. So whenever she's more down to earth, happy, smiley, and warm to people she usually does a fine job. But her character requires a certain degree of authority and presence, of a ruler, a queen, and all the baggage that comes with it, and she just cannot deliver. It's just painfully obvious she's the wrong fit, so consistent it almost seems like part of her character.

I know what you mean, like Brad Pitt in Troy, epic roles like this you need that magic.

The Dany scene reminded me of the Geneosis battle arena sequence from Star Wars II. Especially the end with the rescue coming from the sky at the right time after that the protagonists have been surrounded by lots of ennemies in the arena's core.

101274_1228941528158_400_300.jpg

Same I thought of that too.

mantidor

I know there's a ton of arguments over whether this is violating Stannis' established character. Maybe, maybe not. But to me what he did fits within the role Stannis is playing. Every character has some quality that is a counterpoint to their primary self.

In the overall drama, Stannis has been the closest thing to a traditional, law-abiding and noble king who actually cares about the realm. But it can't be that simple, so Stannis has a huge flaw: the ends justify the means. Stannis will talk himself into doing anything - even if with extreme reluctance - if he believes it is the only way to save the realm from itself.

And unfortunately that makes him his own kind of monster. He can't see how becoming the one true king might be for naught if he turns into an empty psychopath along the way. He relies on the letter of the law to guide him and make everything turn out right. But he has sacrificed his conscience in the service of it.

The thing is that the show was really bad in portraying that. I think we all were expecting the sacrifice, but that it would happen in completely different circumstances, now not only Stannis seems out of character, Selyse is out of character as well.

going back to the promo before the season started, a lot of the bigger plot points were straight up spoiled in that video. I pretty much knew Jorah was going to be in the pits and that the Harpies were going to do some crazy nonsense before a single episode had aired. Nuts that they revealed so much beforehand

Kimosabae

Banned
How many more seasons are expected for this show?

I found this episode disappointing because I expected more a shift towards the importance of Winter. I didn't expect more white walkers or anything, but Winter seems to be the overriding conflict of the show and way more interesting than these disparate cliques fighting over a place to sit above minions. I'm just wondering when I can start to expect them to really focus on this aspect and flesh it out.

If it weren't for the Age of Ultron's recent release, the notion of the White Walkers ending up a sympathetic device via being some cleansing agent for a sullied species would have been interesting.

Wreav

Banned
This is the day I have longed for.

All you "Stannis the Mannis" fools need to bend the knee, your garbage character was predictably terrible yet again.

Nameless

Even if the White Walkers killed these children, there won't be a public outcry about this because it is already established that they are monsters. I mean, look at them.

With the Stannis the former Mannis, the show tried to convince us in the current season that he is a good father. An image which he burnt to the ground is the latest episode.

A. Stannis is still The Mannis despite what these traitors and apostates say.

B. Stannis has been built as a man with a code who will also do whatever it takes, even if it's monstrous, to accomplish his goals.

C. Obviously no one is obligated to root for a fictional character, but people should have known what the were getting to jumping on Team Stannis -- he's used blood magic to forge his path from the beginning.

Nameless

How many more seasons are expected for this show?

I found this episode disappointing because I expected more a shift towards the importance of Winter. I didn't expect more white walkers or anything, but Winter seems to be the overriding conflict of the show and way more interesting than these disparate cliques fighting over a place to sit above minions. I'm just wondering when I can start to expect them to really focus on this aspect and flesh it out.

If it weren't for the Age of Ultron's recent release, the notion of the White Walkers ending up a sympathetic device via being some cleansing agent for a sullied species would have been interesting.

Next week's episode title:

Winter

wildfire

Banned
Also, it seemed like their main plan was to assassinate the Queen, and she just took off on a dragon. They have no reason to stick around and fight.

Actually their main goal was to put themselves in power.

Killing Dany wouldn't be enough. Take note how they deliberately focused on the Harpies killing other noblemen. They weren't interested in killing only her. They wanted to and needed to kill off everyone else who had power but was willing to follow Khaleesi's lead.

Dany did fuck over her biggest and smartest supporters but I'm very sure she is doing it hoping they survive long enough so she can come back with all 3 dragons. It was obvious 1 wouldn't be enough.

How do you know they killed them ?

Statistical outliers aside, this statement completely ignores how they built a new army that episode.

You don't make an army in that way without slaughtering many children as well.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The thing is that the show was really bad in portraying that. I think we all were expecting the sacrifice, but that it would happen in completely different circumstances, now not only Stannis seems out of character, Selyse is out of character as well.

I agree, really. A lot of the characterization in the show comes across as rough because the plot framework plops them in place pretty abruptly. Maybe it's a consequence of compression and writing so many shortcuts.

When Olly's eyes glow blue and he kills everyone, just remember that i told you he would play a big part this season.

you guys can get on the olly train now but any later than today you'll be considered a bunch of bandwagoners.

Deku Tree

I hope stannis defeats the boltons, and I hope Sansa gets safe. But then I hope Stannis falls hard. I see the hardship of the whole situation and his total desperation but burning your own daughter alive... There had to be another way. Too cruel. Can't believe HBO went there...

Curufinwe

The sneak attack by Ramsay left Stannis two options. Fail, or sacrifice his daughter. And he did exactly what you'd expect from the guy who had been burning people and murdering family members since the start of the show. Selyse responding to the screams of her dying daughter just showed that she hadn't been totally consumed by her religious fanaticism.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

It seems out of character because we had one scene where he showed his daughter love? Up until that point, he had been very cold towards her and shown her no love or affection. The scene earlier in the season was a big turning point for Shireen because her father hadn't shown her love. It was the first time he had done anything of the sort.

It was perfectly in character for the man we've been seeing for 4 seasons.

This is what the creators had to say about Selyse.
https://youtu.be/NfLScJVXBHQ?t=2m14s

I think it's a silly complaint to poopoo Selyse's growth as a character. Do we want characters to never change, evolve and surprise us? Did you really want her to just watch her daughter being burned alive and not have any impact an her?

Cake Boss

Banned
Could someone explain to me as to why there is so many of those harpies people? Are there legit that many slave owners where they can outnumber the actual slaves?

Nameless

>implying Brienne isn't going to rescue Sansa and cut down bloodthirsty Stannis

Actually it's
Mother's Mercy

-Brienne's success rate is pretty terrible at this point, but you could argue that means she's due for a W. Don't see her killing Mannis, though.

-Stand corrected. The source I saw had ep9's episode right so I didn't question it.

Curufinwe

I think they're going to do:

Season 6 - 10 episodes
Season 7 pt1 - 7 episodes
Season 7 pt2 - 7 episodes

HBO wants 8 seasons but the the show runners want the show to end after 7. My guess is we'll see some sort of compromise.

That sounds realistic. Perhaps the final episode will be two hours long, meaning there will be around 25 hours left of Game of Thrones after this season finishes on Sunday.

Zaph

I've enjoyed pretty much every episode of this show (even the ones which are generally considered weaker), but I just cannot shake this dread of how intrinsically flawed Daenerys makes the entire epic story feel at its very core.

So much is invested in her story, yet it seems like the writers are writing for a character which has never existed on-screen and are hoping if they just keep going the viewer will eventually care? Maybe this is the ultimate drawback of being based on a popular book - the writers aren't able to course-correct in a way an entirely original work could?

Honestly starting to wonder if a dramatic recasting around season 2/3 would have, once everything is said and done, damaged the show less than keeping zero-screen-presence Emilia.

Maybe GoT will completely surprise me with self-awareness, and it'll turn out her arc was never to 'win' or learn how to be a just rule, but instead to lose tragically as a demonstration that bloodline ultimately means nothing, and nobody deserves a throne.

Curufinwe

Your extremely negative opinion of Dany isn't representative of the viewing audience.

Could someone explain to me as to why there is so many of those harpies people? Are there legit that many slave owners where they can outnumber the actual slaves?

The slave owners are the richest people in the city. They are probably paying sellswords to fight for them.

aravuus

Goddamn it, Stannis. God fucking damn it.

Now there's no one I want on the throne anymore.

I also dislike Dany, but she's surrounded with awesome characters now and I have to admit, the ending of this episode was pretty goddamn amazing.. Nah, still don't want her on the throne though lol

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Goddamn it, Stannis. God fucking damn it.

Now there's no one I want on the throne anymore.

wqsiN5w.gif

All hail His Grace, Olly, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm.

Sanjay

They are trained since babies to kill people, they are just better fighters, it just looks like they have the numbers but they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom