• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still salty tho. But yes, I agree. He just...you know, one would hope he loved her enough to draw a line. Nope! At least he seemed to momentarily realize the gravity of what he had done. I'm glad he watched it all so he will always remember.

Well, he did tell Shireen he was sorry. :\

His decision wasn't shocking to me...it seemed like the move he'd make, despite previous episode's showing him as a softy dad. What sucked was the slow buildup to it. You knew it was gonna happen, and they still made it slow and painful. :(

At least we'll hopefully see Ramsay and Roose get theirs. If they don't and they somehow still end up besting Stannis, I imagine plenty fans raging, lol.

Nibel

I don't quite get the criticisms against the dragon cg. It looked good. What exactly are we comparing it to?
It's about the same as Smaug, which for better or for worse is the best cg dragon still.
And you can't compare it to something like the new Planet of The Apes cg because those have a real world point of reference. Those are "easier" to do.
Dragons are mythical creatures that people think are just giant lizards even if they're described as more in most books with dragons in it. At this point it's all artistic choice.

I dunno. It's a pet peeve of mine to dismiss cg after knowing how the industry treats these artists. Cg is a lot of hard work for little pay by very passionate people. It's something that continues to evolve. I just can't make fun of it.

Apparently TV shows are held up to the same standards as Hollywood blockbuster movies

Just finished watching.

The Dorne prince is growing on me. He's not Oberyn but boy, he's coming across as a real good ruler. Hope this is the end of the sandsnakes rebellion too. It was delivered very flimsy and I cried at the fight scene.

Glad Bronn lives!!!

Jaime writing like a toddler was funny.

Hope Shireen's death bring something worthwhile for Stannis' campaign... Or maybe it shouldn't bring him anything at all. Would like to see the day when the red witch's magic will fail her one day.

Drogon! Yaaaaaassssssssss

I like also Tyrion's banter at the podium. He's thoughtful and intelligent.

Daario and Missandei are so easy on the eyes.

And WunWun ! 😃

So, Ramsay rapes Sansa and there's a huge public outcry against the show.

Meanwhile Stannis burns his disfigured daughter alive and nobody makes a peep.

Society, man.

Stephen Dillane has been gold for this show. I hope Stannis dies now but he has been amazing. I love the idea of one of the most grim, stern and devout men ever coming face - to-face with the power of a God he knows is real and is commanding him to a destiny and action he would never have done. His scene with Davos are always the best. What can he do when The Lord of Light's power keeps being proven to him and he is so desperate and compelled to do terrible things he would have condemned other for?

He thinks he has the fate of the world on his back and he must succeed no matter that cost. When his time finally comes it going to be great.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Drogon got fucked up by a few spears and KellyC doesn't seem to have the pulse to hold a goddamned cup of water without a dozen of advisors telling her how to do it.

Let the White Walkers run a train down the entire continent. They don't deserve anything better.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Stannis bandwagoners, smh. The man is ruthless to a fault, unendingly ambitions and willing to do anything to sit his hard ass on the throne. This was coming from a mile away. Stannis would still make the best king. The man isn't meant to be liked, he's an extreme utilitarian and cold as fucking ice. Too bad he's been totally brainwashed by Mel. But it's hard to blame him when her powers have already been so effective.

I think Davos will have a hard time dealing with it, though I suspect he knew when Stannis sent him away. Hence the sappy goodbye.

EDIT: I also really liked how fucking lifeless and miserable the Baratheons looked at the sacrifice. Like a couple of standing corpses, watching the last of their humanity turn to ash

Red Hood

Banned
I don't quite get the criticisms against the dragon cg. It looked good. What exactly are we comparing it to?
It's about the same as Smaug, which for better or for worse is the best cg dragon still.
And you can't compare it to something like the new Planet of The Apes cg because those have a real world point of reference. Those are "easier" to do.
Dragons are mythical creatures that people think are just giant lizards even if they're described as more in most books with dragons in it. At this point it's all artistic choice.

I dunno. It's a pet peeve of mine to dismiss cg after knowing how the industry treats these artists. Cg is a lot of hard work for little pay by very passionate people. It's something that continues to evolve. I just can't make fun of it.

I think people, including me, more meant when Daenerys rode him and flew away. Drogon himself looks great.

Red Hood

Banned
Stannis bandwagoners, smh. The man is ruthless to a fault, unendingly ambitions and willing to do anything to sit his hard ass on the throne. This was coming from a mile away. Stannis would still make the best king. The man isn't meant to be liked, he's an extreme utilitarian and cold as fucking ice. Too bad he's been totally brainwashed by Mel. But it's hard to blame him when her powers have already been so effective.

I think Davos will have a hard time dealing with it, though I suspect he knew when Stannis sent him away. Hence the sappy goodbye.

I suppose people just thought he had to draw the line for him somewhere, which I thought would be sacrificing his daughter. Guess not, so this means he'll stop for fucking nothing and that may prove to have some great scenes in the near future.

oti

Banned
Drogon got fucked up by a few spears and KellyC doesn't seem to have the pulse to hold a goddamned cup of water without a dozen of advisors telling her how to do it.

Let the White Walkers run a train down the entire continent. They don't deserve anything better.

You're a hater and ugly inside.
sick tennis reference yo

Damerman

Did Stannis really have to burn her alive though. He couldn't poison her and then burn her?

they have to die by fire. I'm speculating that they had to burn shireen because jon put an arrow through Mance rayder's heart. he had king's blood so to speak, so his sacrifice might have avoided Shireen's. this is just speculation though.

JB1981

Stephen Dillane has been gold for this show. I hope Stannis dies now but he has been amazing. I love the idea of one of the most grim, stern and devout men ever coming face - to-face with the power of a God he knows is real and is commanding him to a destiny and action he would never have done. His scene with Davos are always the best. What can he do when The Lord of Light's power keeps being proven to him and he is so desperate and compelled to do terrible things he would have condemned other for?

He thinks he has the fate of the world on his back and he must succeed no matter that cost. When his time finally comes it going to be great.

But when was the last time the Lord of Light proved anything to him?

Into

Everytime i watch a GoT episode i have the itch to start Civ 5 or Witcher 3

"Burn your kid alive, and for the next 10 turns experience increased growth"

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water

Well the Lord of Light did apparently birth a shadow monster that took out one of Stan's biggest rivals. 2/3 for leeches. Mel's visions. Yea the Blackwater was a disaster and I think Mel has some sort of agenda here, but the woman obviously has some powers. Backed into a cold, snowy corner, I'm not at all surprised Stannis threw his chips in with the magical fire priestess.

CDX

when the show is all set and done i think the biggest mistake will be hiring emilia clarke as daenerys.. who else they consider for the role?

vuqLp51l.jpg

Tamzin Merchant

She was cast, and filmed the pilot too.

Rumors were HBO wanted someone more beautiful, so they fired her and hired Emilia Clarke.

Das Ace

Everytime i watch a GoT episode i have the itch to start Civ 5 or Witcher 3

"Burn your kid alive, and for the next 10 turns experience increased growth"
Reminds me of something out of Crusader Kings 2.

"You sacrificed your firstborn to the gods! Gain 3 Martial / 50 piety / -10 diplomacy"

I think his visions of the fight he should have in the north. WE'll see if the snow stops next week. It doesn't really need to be more than 1-2 times a god proves it's existance (Rob and Geoffery dieing counts), he sees the god's power as real so he act as if it was.

It would actually be really funny if the lord of light was fake and it's been all her.

Are the other two going to be as loyal though after being locked up for however many months?

I think the other two were less aggressive, it was Drogon who killed the boy before, right? Then she locked the other two up when he flew away, just in case. Something like that. They did seem a little angry when she visited them that one time though.

I'm just ignoring/skipping over the parts of the show that depress me now, like anything to do with Ramsay and this week, the Shireen getting burned. When the flames lit up, MUTE, look away, forget about it. Show is too grim for it's own good, it's just no fun.

Then all the dragon stuff this week. Dany is hit or miss, she can have really boring weeks and sometimes even when she does stuff it isn't very interesting but she's got a lot of characters now (minus Barristan - still don't see why he had to be killed off. Miss him) and the dragons can do things now, so that whole sequence was pretty cool. It's true the digital effects were a little dodgy - not the CGI of Drogon itself but Emilia Clarke didn't have enough wind on her and was a bit discoloured compared to the rest of the scene. It was still pretty cool though, most of the shots were good and the music was good.

They did make Drogon look a little weak - but I think the point was it had landed in order for Dany to get on. Otherwise maybe it would just have circled in the air lighting all the bad guys up. Also it is still young yeah. It would be cool to see a battle scene of all three dragons fully grown before the series is over. I don't know if we'll ever get that in its full glory cos it would probably cost a full episode's budget to do a few minutes of that.

The Unsullied are being portrayed so badly in this show.

They really are. They were introduced as a bunch of badasses and got shit done a few seasons ago. Now that the shit has hit the fan, they've really folded like lawn chairs.

Jon is like the only one that has not real desire for power, which makes him kinda fair and neutral

Which is why he's fucked.

Seriously though, Jon has so much plot armor right now...I think he'll stick around until the end game.

Curufinwe

Just finished watching.

The Dorne prince is growing on me. He's not Oberyn but boy, he's coming across as a real good ruler. Hope this is the end of the sandsnakes rebellion too. It was delivered very flimsy and I cried at the fight scene.

Glad Bronn lives!!!

Jaime writing like a toddler was funny.

That's what it looks like when I write my left hand. Fortunately, no one has chopped my right hand off.

Red Hood

Banned
Ending the snow storm that left them unable to move forward toward Winterfell is likely than food falling out of the sky.

Lol who said anything about food falling from the sky? Through their "fire god's influence" maybe they find an abandoned village with lots of food or the marching Wildlings that can help them fight (or forced to join Stannis).

RS4-

Disagree. I've never bought into Jaime's redemption arc. This is the man that forced himself on his own sister at his son's funeral service and crippled an innocent boy. He's disgusting.

There had better be a group of Seven Sons waiting to arrest Jaime when he gets off the boat in King's Landing. If Cersei is going to be tried for incest and punished accordingly, then Jaime should be too.

Ok, I forgot about that lol. I'll go with "I like Jaime when he isn't involved with his sister."

And yeah, Unsullied are just getting shit on left and right.

mm04

Well, my thinking is that this guarantees Stannis will beat the Boltons, otherwise why the whole Lord of Light thing? BUT, I also think it guarantees Stannis will not get the Iron Throne, because I see this as a symbolic selling your soul to the devil moment and Stannis is bound to get burned by it. So short term, he's going to benefit for the sacrifice. But long term, it's going to get him.

Radec

How many White Walkers are there?

6?

1 killed by Sam
1 by Jon

Then the 4 with the horses (including the King) ?

Or these many ?

Game-Thrones-S4-Oathkeeper-Baby.jpg

also, is the many faced god at all associated with the lord of light? i'm pretty sure I saw a burning heart statue in the background of the house of black and white.

this_guy

Stannis did what had to be done. There's been more than enough evidence that the gods are real in Game of Thrones so even though it sucks, it's understandable.

Regarding grey scale and Jorah touching Dany, I think the infected areas have to touch. Like an std - you're not getting gonorrhea from someone by holding hands.

woen

The Dany scene reminded me of the Geneosis battle arena sequence from Star Wars II. Especially the end with the rescue coming from the sky at the right time after that the protagonists have been surrounded by lots of ennemies in the arena's core.

101274_1228941528158_400_300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom