• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't see where this show is heading, what the endgame is. I guess that's a good thing. But it also feels a bit headless.

The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire. There's an undead herd of Ice people about to descend on the civilized world, and a woman with Fire-breathing dragons planning to do the same.

Yeah...

It may have been cruel and tough to watch, but Stannis did what he had to do. The fate of the 7 kingdoms of Westeros are on his shoulders. I have a feeling that his sacrifice of his daughter, will aid them in the war ahead vs the Boltons. The Lord of Light commands it. Now as for Arya....it's looking like she may pose as an child prostitute, just to get at dude (alla Kill Billl's anime flashback).

I don't know if having a leader that burns his own daughter -the continuation of his royal line- to the ground for militart victory is going to reflect well on people that have no blood relationship with him.

oti

Banned
The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire. There's an undead herd of Ice people about to descend on the civilized world, and a woman with Fire-breathing dragons planning to do the same.

Yeah...

So almost all we've been through so far, all of the houses fighting each other, was pretty much pointless then? That's interesting.

RS4-

I like Jaime and hope that he continues on his path to be a decent person. The whole riding Drogon thing, should've been a practical effect. Or at least the up close shots.

scabro

I don't know if having a leader that burns his own daughter -the continuation of his royal line- to the ground for militart victory is going to reflect well on people that have no blood relationship with him.

the implication is that if he didn't, there wouldn't even be anyone left to dislike him or be king once the white walkers come anyway

this all hinges on how legit melisandre's visions and the lord of light are, and the lord of light seems pretty legit

although i guess very few people know about the walkers at all in the first place

MikeyB

Team Stannis the Menace FTW. It takes a lot of courage and will to sacrifice your own child for the greater good.
He could gave done that while still recognising the tragedy of the situation. He's too absolute and simplistic to conceive of something like that. His wife proved far more human. He's willful, yeah, but a monster.

Yeah I noticed but I just didn't like his attitude, saying that he had to take care of some business and then harpies all over the place... Also, it seems he wasn't stabbed in the heart, if it's anything to go by.

Yeah he's dead, sorry. Dude got repeatedly stabbed in the chest.

I actually thought he was the leader of the harpies until his demise.

He could gave done that while still recognising the tragedy of the situation. He's too absolute and simplistic to conceive of something like that. His wife proved far more human. He's willful, yeah, but a monster.

He's the rock he's shown to be since the very beginning, with his environment being an extension of himself.

Carl

Yeah, Westeros is a mess. I think I'm team White Walker now. Pretty much everyone left with an army deserves to get screwed. Even the good characters are so inept you wouldn't trust them. Except Jon - which probably means he's going to die.

#TeamWhiteWalker

I don't think Jon will die though.

Nose Master

I feel dumb for it, but did anyone else not realize that Arya was actually a fishmonger until this past episode? I thought she was just doing some improv theater with the man of a thousand faces to prove she could transform into anyone with any backstory :X

Speculation time:

Jon will die sometime soon. Arya will end up killing the man of a thousand faces, because she's still a dumb child and it will be over something stupid. If for no other reason than his death, cycling through a bunch of faces, will be a spectacle. Davos(Bravos?) will end up either deserting, killing Mel, or killing Stan.

Also Ramsay wins, cause he's awesome.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I like Jaime and hope that he continues on his path to be a decent person.

Disagree. I've never bought into Jaime's redemption arc. This is the man that forced himself on his own sister at his son's funeral service and crippled an innocent boy. He's disgusting.

There had better be a group of Seven Sons waiting to arrest Jaime when he gets off the boat in King's Landing. If Cersei is going to be tried for incest and punished accordingly, then Jaime should be too.

Moaradin

Jaime is a pretty likable character but he ain't a saint. Almost no character in this show is. Jon Snow is just about the only main character left that doesn't have much dirt on him, which kinda makes me worried...

He's the rock he's shown to be since the very beginning, with his environment being an extension of himself.

He is increasingly desperate and has been literally marginalised. Despite Melissandre's obvious powers, she hasn't exactly enabled him to go from strength to strength. This act was the act of desperate man on the edge of complete disaster. It is his supposedly 'Griffith' eclipse moment. Except for the fact I don't think the acting/his previous articulation and interaction, particularly pointed to this. Stannis is supposed to be a hard man but a fair one. The idea that a king would burn his royal heir to effectively combat a guy like Ramsay...does underline his pathetic situation though.

There are three people with plot armor- Jon, Tyrion, and Danerys.

Jon won't die.

There's nothing to be gained with John's death at this point. Calling it plot armor, which is apparently the new thing to say, might seem witty but really what does the story or the characters around him gain with his death?

Something has to happen to him though, he has earned that much.

He is increasingly desperate and has been literally marginalised. Despite Melissandre's obvious powers, she hasn't exactly enabled him to go from strength to strength. This act was the act of desperate man on the edge of complete disaster. It is his supposedly 'Griffith' eclipse moment. Except for the fact I don't think the acting/his previous articulation and interaction, particularly pointed to this. Stannis is supposed to be a hard man but a fair one. The idea that a king would burn his royal heir to effectively combat a guy like Ramsay...does underline his pathetic situation though.

Of course he's desperate. His men are dying, literally and figuratively. His claim to the throne put on ice. Find yourself with no way out, and your only choice is to push forward.

Blader

It's really hard to buy Stannis as "the greatest military commander in Westeros" given all of his blunders and that he can't seem to do anything without Melisandre.

I actually laughed when the supplies were gone. Such horrible writing. Makes no sense. Would never happen, to that extent anyway.

Winter time. Massive army already in trouble. The food storage and supplies would be guarded like a fortress. I mean that is your livelihood. Beyond your own life, that is the most important thing in the camp. And they let Ramsay just waltz in and destroy it.

So bad. And then, due to your incompetence you burn your own child to try and save yourself.

Get fucked Ramsay. Get fucked Stannis. Get fucked Roose. Get fucked Westeros.

Its feasting time Walkers. Have your fill.

Visceir

Fairly confident that Stannis will be able to take Winterfell. I wonder if Ramsay would be able to flee though and it wouldn't be the last we'd see of him.

Also curious if Stannis would be more likeable again if the season ended with him killing Ramsay.

Moaradin

It's not like Ramsay and his 20 men literally burned all their supplies. They just made a desperate situation even more desperate. Shireen getting burned was inevitable.

roytheone

It took a while for this season to get going, but it is finally paying off! After last week's fantastic episode, another great one. I have really high hopes for the season finale. As always, some random thoughts:

- While what Stannis did was despicable, in his mind it was necessary to make sure that he becomes king and defeats the white walkers. So his choice was between burning his daughter or his army starving which will eventually lead to the whole country being killed by the white walkers. Also, he is still one of the few people with real power that sees and recognizes the danger of the white walkers. He no longer is the king we want, but he is still the king we need.

- It was good to see Tyrion back on top again, next to the queen, after more than a season of him being imprisoned by either Cersei or Jorah.

- By the way, why doesn't Tyrion tell Dany that there are people being abducted and sold as slaves against their will, and that some of those people end up fighting in the pits? That would be enough reason for her to stop the games right?

- The ruler of Dorne and his son keep on showing that they are great and wise rulers, that put the lives of their people before their own emotions and desires. So they probably will end up getting stabbed soon :(

partime

Damn right you should open that gate, let John Snow back in!

The Never Ending Story had better "CG" than Danny riding her dragon, that was completely cringe worthy, and what's with all of Dannys companions just standing around? I can totally see them dusting off their shirts and meeting her back in the palace like nothing happened... geez I hope not...

Red Hood

Banned
Slightly underwhelming to be honest, especially compared to Hardhome. I also expected a major death or grand scale event, I think it was kind of a tradition, right? (S1 Eddard, S2 Blackwater, S3 Red Wedding, S4 Ygritte among others). Any way, good episode if not maybe a little underwhelming, but the ending with Drogan coming to the rescue was cool. Though CGI felt a little off.

And Stannis' actions may or may not be justified, but I'm not rooting for him any more. That's a fucked up thing to do.

The Never Ending Story had better "CG" than Danny riding her dragon, that was completely cringe worthy, and what's with all of Dannys companions just standing around? I can totally see them dusting off their shirts and meeting her back in the palace like nothing happened... geez I hope not...
Drogon dealt with most of the Harpys, the rest can be taken out by the Unsullied.

i guess they saved this Olly thing for the last episode of the season, along with Sansa's storyline. It's as if we're getting a two hour episode 9 this year. This season really could use it, the pacing has been all over the place

Slightly underwhelming to be honest, especially compared to Hardhome. I also expected a major death or grand scale event, I think it was kind of a tradition, right? (S1 Eddard, S2 Blackwater, S3 Red Wedding, S4 Ygritte among others). Any way, good episode if not maybe a little underwhelming, but the ending with Drogan coming to the rescue was cool. Though CGI felt a little off.

And Stannis' actions may or may not be justified, but I'm not rooting for him any more. That's a fucked up thing to do.

Stannis basically giving up his soul when burning is daughter might as well have been 2 major deaths.

nubbe

Melisandre will definitely take credit for the Wildlings when/if they meet up with Stannis

and they certainly know how to fight during Winter

Drogon dealt with most of the Harpys, the rest can be taken out by the Unsullied.

Not to mention the remaining Harpies are probably still shook by the fact that a giant fucking dragon just swept down and ate and set fire to a bunch of their comrades. That probably killed some of their mojo.

Yeah, good guy Jamie. He only tried to murder a child in the first episode, but he's not so bad.
If Bran listened to his god damn mother and not climbed up that building in the first place he wouldn't have been in the position to be thrown out of a fucking window.

Not to mention the remaining Harpies are probably still shook by the fact that a giant fucking dragon just swept down and ate and set fire to a bunch of their comrades. That probably killed some of their mojo.

yeah, if i tasked with stabbing people from close range and suddenly a fucking dragon was 20 feet away from me I'd be quick to get the fuck out of there.

nubbe

Jaime is a pretty likable character but he ain't a saint. Almost no character in this show is. Jon Snow is just about the only main character left that doesn't have much dirt on him, which kinda makes me worried...

He's a selfish asshole like everyone
oTa4hZp.jpg

Jon is like the only one that has not real desire for power, which makes him kinda fair and neutral

Pillville

Also, it seemed like their main plan was to assassinate the Queen, and she just took off on a dragon. They have no reason to stick around and fight.

I don't quite get the criticisms against the dragon cg. It looked good. What exactly are we comparing it to?
It's about the same as Smaug, which for better or for worse is the best cg dragon still.
And you can't compare it to something like the new Planet of The Apes cg because those have a real world point of reference. Those are "easier" to do.
Dragons are mythical creatures that people think are just giant lizards even if they're described as more in most books with dragons in it. At this point it's all artistic choice.

I dunno. It's a pet peeve of mine to dismiss cg after knowing how the industry treats these artists. Cg is a lot of hard work for little pay by very passionate people. It's something that continues to evolve. I just can't make fun of it.

Stannis is completely in character. Those surprised really need to learn how to take a hint.

I'm still salty tho. But yes, I agree. He just...you know, one would hope he loved her enough to draw a line. Nope! At least he seemed to momentarily realize the gravity of what he had done. I'm glad he watched it all so he will always remember.

I don't quite get the criticisms against the dragon cg. It looked good. What exactly are we comparing it to?
It's about the same as Smaug, which for better or for worse is the best cg dragon still.
And you can't compare it to something like the new Planet of The Apes cg because those have a real world point of reference. Those are "easier" to do.
Dragons are mythical creatures that people think are just giant lizards even if they're described as more in most books with dragons in it. At this point it's all artistic choice.

I dunno. It's a pet peeve of mine to dismiss cg after knowing how the industry treats these artists. Cg is a lot of hard work for little pay by very passionate people. It's something that continues to evolve. I just can't make fun of it.

yea, I thought it looked quite good.

STANNIS!!!!
2678695-3688350045-xgL4e.gif

It was said that you would destroy the Boltons not stood to their level!
Perfection.
Curufinwe said:
Ideally...
Stannis kills Roose
Theon/Sansa kills Ramsay
Brienne kills Stannis
Littlefinger shows up and says what did I miss?
Ideally Sansa kills Roose, not Ramsay. I am fairly confident after this that the North is going to fuck up the Boltons and then Stannis will feel justified.

Also damn.. someone in a episode review just said who sent the necklace. Would be quite a mindfuck if Prince Doran actually sent the necklace. If that's the case, that's another really intelligent player in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom