• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
I'm still on team Stannis.

That doesn't mean I'm rooting for him to be the King, or that I think he's the most likable character. Outside of a very small handful of characters, the vast majority of them don't deserve rooting for. What I do want as a show-watcher is for the most compelling individuals to receive the most screen time. He's certainly up there in terms of how he's written as a character.

Where this show has suffered, for me, this season is that the most interesting characters hitherto have I either been killed off or pushed aside in the interest of introducing new, far less fleshed out characters. We've lost Rob, Catelyn, Tywin, Oberyn, Hound, just to name very few. The screen time of the likes of Littlefinger, Varys, Margaery, and Brienne has significantly decreased this season.

Instead, we're back to focusing on the gratuitous mindless depravity of Ramsay, or the quips of the most generic character of all time Daario, Dany's lack of progression (relative to how much time she gets), as well as Arya's poorly paced storyline.

So, fuck it. Give me more Stannis.

16BitNova

All these people turning their back on Stannis now. Lol. First you want the man to be your King, then he does what must be done and you turn your back on your King. He did what he did for you! To be your King! The throne comes at no easy price to anyone. You are not true followers of King Stannis Baratheon. You were all just on a bandwagon.

mujun

A lot of the politics have been sidelined. Other than littlefinger there isn't really anyone scheming (except Olly that little bastard) people are just acting or reacting straightforwardly and often stupidly. The show has definitely lost something in that transition, but it was kind of inevitable that we would lose some of that as the scope expanded.

That's a good summary.

Every time there is some sort of action scene that relies on some sort of fluke or the like, I think, how could they do this better?

I don't have the answers but I definitely feel that the show isn't as good as it was in previous seasons. Not that it can't pick it up again, though.

kiguel182

I subscribe to that last scene coming straight out of Attack of The Clones. Seeing Jorah being a badass was cool but the whole scene went into ridiculous territory way to quickly even if the dragon was awesome.

The rest of the episode was dark as hell. That whole Stannis scene was hard to watch.

The show still seems very directionless and like a lot of stuff won't matter in the end but let's see. I'm curious how the game of thrones will actually interfere with the monsters and all of that.

wqsiN5w.gif

All hail His Grace, Olly, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm.

He killed the best character. Let's hope not.

He also looks ready to murder Jon so I don't think I can approve that.

brau

wqsiN5w.gif

All hail His Grace, Olly, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm.

I just know this kid is gonna mess it up big time.
He already shot and killed Yggrite.
T_T

Deku Tree

Danny should have done like the old Romans did when they took power with force
Execute everyone of the noble class

She considered it and decided to try and win them over instead even going as far as planning to marry one of them. They tried to assassinate her afterwards and killed her future husband. I don't expect her to show them any more mercy. I expect them to be dead.

Quick thought on Jon Snow/Olly. I do think he will try to off Jon, but it might be done with
fire
and then it is reveled that
he didn't die, and it confirms he is Targaryen.

Either that or Olly just tries to kill him and Jon offs him.

If Olly DOES kill him tho, that might be a game changer to me in the series. The "new" cast isn't good enough to get me as involved in the show as the people over the first few seasons. We are starting to lose to many well done characters. With that said, it seems like Jon is as untouchable as Arya, Bran, Tyrion. Just seems like his point for the story is too important.

Did anyone else expect Daario to be behind the attack? Since he is upset she married dude.

Daario strikes me as a lot of things but petty enough to have hundred if not thousands of people put in immediate danger just because he feels some sort of way about an arranged marriage?

Naw, dude knows he has her on lock. If anything, he needs to worry about the friendzone zombie who could really make things turn for the worse real fast.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Quick thought on Jon Snow/Olly. I do think he will try to off Jon, but it might be done with
fire
and then it is reveled that
he didn't die, and it confirms he is Targaryen.

Either that or Olly just tries to kill him and Jon offs him.

If Olly DOES kill him tho, that might be a game changer to me in the series. The "new" cast isn't good enough to get me as involved in the show as the people over the first few seasons. We are starting to lose to many well done characters. With that said, it seems like Jon is as untouchable as Arya, Bran, Tyrion. Just seems like his point for the story is too important.

In regards to those spoilers
we see Jon get burned when he grabs the lantern from Mormonts hand and tosses it on the wight in the first season.

Kimosabae

Banned
Maybe it's because I haven't read the books or because I'm relatively new to the show - but I find all the fan-clamoring and picking sides and such over the premise about the fight over the Throne to be kind of strange, considering that Winter seems to be the overriding conflict of the show, making the Throne itself a grand symbol of ignorance and futility.

Like, I can't imagine anyone ultimately gets that Throne at this story's conclusion.

So the fact that so much of the fan discussion seems to revolve around around the human politics is a bit baffling.

Overdoziz

Banned
Maybe it's because I haven't read the books or because I'm relatively new to the show - but I find all the fan-clamoring and picking sides and such over the premise about the fight over the Throne to be kind of strange, considering that Winter seems to be the overriding conflict of the show, making the Throne itself a grand symbol of ignorance and futility.

Like, I can't imagine anyone ultimately gets that Throne at this story's conclusion.

So the fact that so much of the fan discussion seems to revolve around around the human politics is a bit baffling.
Everybody will be dead with Stannis sitting on the throne with nobody to rule over. Bless the Lord of Light.

wildfire

Banned
The sneak attack by Ramsay left Stannis two options. Fail, or sacrifice his daughter. And he did exactly what you'd expect from the guy who had been burning people and murdering family members since the start of the show. Selyse responding to the screams of her dying daughter just showed that she hadn't been totally consumed by her religious fanaticism.

While this seemed like a binary choice now Stannis never needed to be there.

Stannis through the previous vision provided would know winter would almost arrive if he decided to invade the North. He knew that fighting under such conditions would put himself and his army at risk without divine intervention. He could have went against the grain and defied the Lord of Light like he did at Blackwater. Shireen and himself could've been safe at his castle even if the crows would've most likely lost without his aid.

Well, it's generally considered the more interesting aspect of the show. The political intrigue and throne-chasing has been the main focus for a long time (and also incredibly compelling), while the WW angle has been brewing in the background and only recently stormed into the forefront.

kiguel182

That's kind of the problem with this whole Winter thing. A lot of people loved the politicking and the intrigue and the show even named itself after that but, in the end, it matters very little since the biggest thread is clearly the White Walkers.

Right now I don't care who is the king and the path to there (and the people that died) matter less and less each episode if the end goal is the supernatural stuff.

a916

That sounds realistic. Perhaps the final episode will be two hours long, meaning there will be around 25 hours left of Game of Thrones after this season finishes on Sunday.

I wonder if they'll go for a 3 hour movie to wrap everything up.

They have a hard time time fitting all the characters in each season let alone an episode, so I wonder if they'll go off with a movie (and none of this bs entourage wait time)

The White Walkers are the "hey these guys are bad because we tell you guys they are". Other than the intrigue or we should kill them before they eventually kill us all, does anyone actually hold contempt from them?

In a show where we've had Joffrey and Ramsey where the writers have done a good job of building absolute hatred for those two characters, the White Walkers don't even move the emotional needle yet.

So where do I hand in my Team Stannis card? Show's rapidly running out of people to root for at this point.

Why the fuck was anyone rooting for Stannis in the first place? Mel is the one who's really in charge, and she literally spits demons out of her vagina. Doesn't get more evil than that.

There can't be two good guys fighting for the throne. Dany is the good guy. Everyone else is jerks.

Saw the episode.

Could Arya look a little more suspicious? Lol. She's the least discrete assassins I've ever seen. And Stannis is really losing it, yeah. Kind of disappointing that we didn't get to see Ramsay's attack.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
The Atlantic Game of Thrones Roundtable echoed my thoughts above as well in a bit more of a straightforward way. Thought I'd share it here and see people's thoughts.

First, I know I’m a broken record on the subject of Ramsay Snow/Bolton, but why is it that every single storyline connected to him has to immediately become stupid? His dad, Roose, is an accomplished military commander, but it’s untrained, never-been-to-war-in-his-life Ramsay who leads the brilliant expedition in which a couple dozen men cripple an army of thousands.

“Twenty men rode into our camp without a single guard sounding the alarm?” Stannis asks, speaking on behalf of every single viewer of this latest ridiculous Ramsayism. Ser Davos offers the nonsense reply (which has been tediously set up in previous episodes by several Ramsay references to “we Northerners”), “The Northerners know more about their land than we ever will.” Such as how to ride horses into a guarded military camp, set dozens of fires, and leave before anyone notices? Utterly, utterly lame.

While I’m griping, let me note that the Arya-is-going-to-kill-Ser-Meryn-Trant storyline, which has been pretty obvious ever since Cersei dispatched the latter to Braavos, just evolved from “Pleasant Nugget of Vengeance” to “Typically Overlong Benioff and Weiss Portrait of (Sexual) Villainy.” We already knew Meryn Trant was a bad guy. We didn’t need five minutes of his haggling for an underaged prostitute—“Too old,” “too old,” “too old,” “you’ll have a fresh one for me tomorrow”—to convince us that he deserved to die. He’s a third-tier baddie who should have shuffled off his mortal coil tonight. It’s a waste of precious time to extend his imminent, inevitable death into the season finale.

The scenes in Dorne were ... not completely awful? Progress! Yes, we still had to watch the ever-pointless Sand Snakes play their slap games—“Are you going to cry?”—and Ellaria Sand’s ongoing treason went well beyond implausible. Let’s review: She’s Oberyn’s former paramour, who was just imprisoned for planning an uprising and trying to kill Princess Myrcella, the betrothed of the heir to Dorne. But she nonetheless got to attend the royal negotiation between Prince Doran, Jaime, Trystane, and Myrcella (sorry for trying to kill you!), and she seized the occasion to ostentatiously pour her Dornish red on the floor.

There's a lot more quality discussion in the article here. Be warned, however, that they do mention the books in passing, in terms of divergences, not spoilers.

mokeyjoe

At this point the only guy I can see getting the throne is Gendry, and by then nobody will care as most of Westeros will be a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

The remaining Starks don't care about the throne, the Lannisters are has-beens who'll probably retire to Dorne, Dany will be sick of ruling by that point and everyone else will be dead.

Kimosabae

Banned
That's kind of the problem with this whole Winter thing. A lot of people loved the politicking and the intrigue and the show even named itself after that but, in the end, it matters very little since the biggest thread is clearly the White Walkers.

Right now I don't care who is the king and the path to there (and the people that died) matter less and less each episode if the end goal is the supernatural stuff.

So basically, this is art imitating life. Whitewalkers represent the looming decay of our unsustainable social order, which is bad news for everyone, but, despite the futility of psychologically suppressing that potential threat and backing your favorite, useless political pawn - you do it anyway because it's something to invest your time and emotional energies in and you find it kind of fun.

Curufinwe

The Atlantic Game of Thrones Roundtable echoed my thoughts above as well in a bit more of a straightforward way. Thought I'd share it here and see people's thoughts.

There's a lot more quality discussion in the article here. Be warned, however, that they do mention the books in passing, in terms of divergences, not spoilers.

I don't see any quality discussion in those quotes. Just the typical whining from critics who fancy themselves as smarter than the show runners. Who says that Ramsay is untrained and has never been to war in his life, or that his men rode in to the camp on horses?

Calcium

Banned
Just watched last nights episode. Damn, Stannis. Ice cold. If taking Winterfell doesn't work he could fill in for one of the White Walkers. Now I don't really care who wins between Stannis and the Boltons. Just have Dany ride over and torch them all from the air. I'm ready for dragon domination.

What was the last word of the episode? Was it "valahad" or "vlahad"?

Not saying who or when it was said just for those who didn't watch it yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom