• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokeyjoe

I don't see any quality discussion in those quotes. Just the typical whining from critics who fancy themselves as smarter than the show runners. Who says that Ramsay is untrained and has never been to war in his life, or that his men rode in to the camp on horses?

I think Stannis was probably right, the guards likely colluded, maybe were bribed. At this point it may have looked like a good way out of the situation, a fairly bloodless way to get Stannis to retreat.

Also Ramsay has probably seen more military action than Jon Snow prior to the Nightswatch.

oh hey Destiny buddy! To your question, though, it's clear that Mace (silly beard guy who visited Braavos) doesn't know what's happening to his family in King's Landing yet.

I just realized Bran hasn't been in this entire season. And I'm ok with that.

I hope he doesn't come back as the main character of next season. Just forget he existed and lets move on
so, same fate as Rickon :p

dork

Banned

I hope he doesn't come back as the main character of next season. Just forget he existed and lets move on

How many gods are there in the story? The many faced God seems pretty legit too. The claim for fire god to be the "one true" god seems like a farce to me. Always has. Even if the powers are real. I also suspect the red witch to be up to her own devices and not at all concerned with Stannis's path. Like she's pulling the puppet strings. The only things about this arc I was sure of was that she would pit him and his daughter against each other, and she did. I personally hope Brianne takes and axe to his dome and I have a hard time seeing Davos follow him now. I"m not sure how Stannis dies, but I feel like he does and I sure hope it's painful.

Regarding Dorne. The whole arc kinda slowed, but I wonder if this was all setting up the return trip home. The hair of Dorne is returning with Jamie to a place that's much more hostile to the Lanisters than when he left. Fuck he could be arrested and stuck in the same cell as his sister when he returns.

Jamie's commented on him wanting to kill Tyrion now that his father has been dispatched. Tyrion mentioned Jamie is one of the few people he trusts. Somethings gonna happen there.

Dany is a terrible actress, but her story is getting much better because of he people surrounding her, and her learning to control the dragons.

At some point I feel John will be forced from the wall. He's got an army and a bunch of Stannis's boats. I feel like this has to happen sooner than later with winter approaching. Curious how Davos plays into John's arc now as he's been sent to take all of John's supplies. Which you know he's not gonna give up after what he's seen.

The many faced man knew Arya went astray on her mission. I'm curious how far into this assassin training she goes. She clearly doesn't want to part with her past. This is evidenced when she saved sting and again when she flew off course from her mission.

His exclusion from this season has been a low point for me. Especially after he made it to that wizard in the tree.

Vashetti

Banned
Here's a thought, Drogon seemed to be finally 'tamed' when Dany hopped on him.

Wonder if the showrunners and producers have factored that into their budgeting, because Dany scenes are about to get very expensive if he's always by her side.

Curufinwe

tumblr_nplt85rxQf1qb35ogo1_500.jpg

iNvid02

rewatching that dragon flight and its epic, I can give the CG a break because it never has or will be movie tier, the music was on point too, but you know you've fucked up when dany riding a dragon is overshadowed.

pretty sure this show has reached peak shock factor, if tommen rapes ser pounce next week it wouldnt be too disconcerting.

edit: that little cunt olly is gonna ice jon next week, its been too in your face like with shireen

Loakum

Banned
Allegedly killed Arya's sword teacher from Bravos.

The more I think about where this story is headed the more concerned I become. I hope HBO won't do what I think they're gonna do, just for the sake of shock value. It's obvious Meryn Trant is sexually attracted to little girls. I hope they won't have Arya try to kill him, pretending to be a prostitute, and fail...and end up getting raped. Just imagine the blow-back with both Stark girls getting raped this season. I hope I'm wrong.

RDreamer

What the hell happened to Balon and the Greyjoy rebellion anyway? Did they ever mention? What's his relationship to the Boltons? He didn't seem like a dude that would just surrender to them. Is he fucking shit up right now? Did they forget he existed much like Rickon?

Vashetti

Banned
What the hell happened to Balon and the Greyjoy rebellion anyway? Did they ever mention? What's his relationship to the Boltons? He didn't seem like a dude that would just surrender to them. Is he fucking shit up right now? Did they forget he existed much like Rickon?

CFUjs_fVEAE372H.png

Daingurse

tumblr_mn5af5Bqmu1qddfrco2_500.gif

tumblr_mn5af5Bqmu1qddfrco3_500.gif

The rebellion was pretty much put down last season, I think. The Boltons used Theon to offer terms and then flayed them.

RDreamer

Who's Meryn Trant?

Can't remember what he did.

No one cares, he's a pedophile now!

I have to say I really hate the writing there. I hate it when it seems like a show/movie/book gets to a section and they obviously want you to dislike someone more so they threw something else horrible in there just to push you over the edge. Nope, we couldn't have something more ambiguous with Arya killing him. We couldn't have reminded show watcher who this dude actually is. Hell, we couldn't have even lead up to this previously on the show. It's like they wrote it and then sat back and though, "Fuck, people aren't going to like Ayra killing this dude. We need to make him more disliked!"

It's so lazy.

The rebellion was pretty much put down last season, I think. The Boltons used Theon to offer terms and then flayed them.

Oh, so that whole storyline was literally:

We're awesome and iron born!

Dick in a box.

Shirtless Ramsey is invincible.

Uh..

Nameless

No one cares, he's a pedophile now!

I have to say I really hate the writing there. I hate it when it seems like a show/movie/book gets to a section and they obviously want you to dislike someone more so they threw something else horrible in there just to push you over the edge. Nope, we couldn't have something more ambiguous with Arya killing him. We couldn't have reminded show watcher who this dude actually is. Hell, we couldn't have even lead up to this previously on the show. It's like they wrote it and then sat back and though, "Fuck, people aren't going to like Ayra killing this dude. We need to make him more disliked!"

It's so lazy.

Yeah we never saw him take pleasure in beating and humiliating a young girl before.

The show seems to be losing subtle appeal and reliasm and becoming more popcorn flickish? I don't know , something is off in quality.

I don't think this episode was very good. Arya being so obvious as she followed the head bodyguard from King's Landing. It such a long scene.The whole "too old" scene felt like it dragged on.

The fight choregrapy of the pits seemed so awkward. Johan who looked so old and slow in combat, can fling a spear with such accuracy and power? The masked men were so aggressive and killing all of the audience but then when they surround the queen and her few body guards, they aren't aggressive at all. It's like they waiting for the next queue, which is the dragon appearing.

The dragon scene was awkward as well. It's like they wanted the audience to feel bad for the dragon getting stabbed with the spear. I thought the dragon would be more aggressive as well.

I don't know the whole thing felt too actiony and unrealistic. The dragon riding scene at the end also felt like it was fan service and aimed at young teenagers.

The Dorne scene where the queen(?) kisses the kings hand while crying.
The female warriors seem to be trying too hard to be macho (lack of a better word) and trying to be portrayed as tough (through the tone of their voices), but they don't seem tough at all. The whole hand slap game, and the woman cheats and slaps the other in the face is for what, trying to show their toughness?

I liked the scene where Jon Snow is standing before the wall, unsure if he's going to be attacked by the Night's Watch. The acting Lord Commader also seemed unsure of what he wanted to do and in the end decided to trust Jon.

I feel the pacing and the character development is all over the place.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
To think if Cercei didn't send Meryn Trant to accompany the Tyrell dude, maybe she wouldn't be in jail now lol. He is loyal to the Lannisters and probably could have gotten the gold cloaks to crack some fanatic skulls at King's Landing. Circa is too eager to have something "accidentally" happen to that Tyrell guy that she sent him away and that led to her current situation. She schemed beyond her control haha...

Melisandre's conversation with Stannis after his defeat at Blackwater:

https://youtu.be/0sx8Yu_n23c

"Thousands will die under your command. You will betray the men serving you. You will betray your family. You will be betray all that you once held dear"

She then shows him a "great battle in the snow" in the flames.

Stannis has gone further and further from the man he was in order to become the man he believes he's meant to be. That's sorta the point.

This is a great little clip that everyone needs to watch so I'm quoting for a new day.

The Cowboy

All caught up.

Stannis i hope you die a horrible death and suffer an eternity of fiery torture by the great fire god, I was on fully board with Stannis :(.

i hate (
love
) this show.

Lorcain

Did anyone else expect Daario to be behind the attack? Since he is upset she married dude.
That would be some seriously covert betrayel if that's true. But that would mean that Daario was killing his own dudes if they were disguised as harpies.

I'm still thinking about Stannis and his decision. I needed a night to process. Ultimately I think that decision will be his undoing. It's too short-sighted. He may be able to capture Winterfell now, but then what? Will he even survive that battle? He's dealing with the devil in Mellisandre. Contracts and agreements will always beneft her.

The scene with Shireen was messed up but we all saw it coming.
That was a great episode though.

The more I think about where this story is headed the more concerned I become. I hope HBO won't do what I think they're gonna do, just for the sake of shock value. It's obvious Meryn Trant is sexually attracted to little girls. I hope they won't have Arya try to kill him, pretending to be a prostitute, and fail...and end up getting raped. Just imagine the blow-back with both Stark girls getting raped this season. I hope I'm wrong.

I doubt it. You're obviously right regarding her strategy to approach him but I think she's going to ice the guy.
She's going to mess up her mission as a consequence though.
A man will not be pleased.

Stannis i hope you die a horrible death and suffer an eternity of fiery torture by the great fire god, I was on fully board with Stannis :(.

Yeah, it's absolutely unforgivable, Sir Davos' reaction will be interesting to see.

Why the fuck was anyone rooting for Stannis in the first place? Mel is the one who's really in charge, and she literally spits demons out of her vagina. Doesn't get more evil than that.

There can't be two good guys fighting for the throne. Dany is the good guy. Everyone else is jerks.

True words.

I really don't understand how any self respecting nerd can root against DRAGONS?!?! When Drogon swooped in to save the day, I was stoked. My wife said, "he's going to die." and I was like, "he's a fucking dragon, he's not gonna die.
(please don't die)
"
dany-drogon-5-509.gif

Team Stannis: Glad to see you're finally coming around and seeing the light.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Oh goddamn it, they better not have her fail. Someone on this show needs to have a good day for once.

True words.

I really don't understand how any self respecting nerd can root against DRAGONS?!?! When Drogon swooped in to save the day, I was stoked. My wife said, "he's going to die." and I was like, "he's a fucking dragon, he's not gonna die.
(please don't die)
"
dany-drogon-5-509.gif

Team Stannis: Glad to see you're finally coming around and seeing the light.

Team Stormborn has been the only appropriate team to be on since Ned got deleted.

well, and Team Littlefinger. Everyone else is a piece of shit.

RDreamer

Is it just me or are things becoming more and more convenient lately. It's kind of hard to suspend my disbelief.

I mean:

Jaime and Bronn arrive in Dorne at the exact minute the Sand Snakes are going to take Marcella?

Dragon happens to come bail out Dany.

Jon Snow arrives at Hardhome literally hours before the walkers attack.

Tyrion and Jorah arrive and fight in the exact smaller pit that Dany is apparently watching over. (and that's not even mentioning Tyrion's strange journey of going to Mereen to be kidnapped to go to Mereen then taken by pirates to go to Mereen.)

Cersei just happens to send one of Ayra's list to the same city she's in, and she just happens to see them.

Personally I think I blame it on the Dorne sequence making me notice this shit more and more. Also blame it on the bad pacing this season. Most of these things could be alleviated by spacing out the scenes a bit more (for example having Jon's landing and talking to the Wildlings in one scene and then in another scene, perhaps in another episode, have the sequence against the White Walkers).

Good catch. I suppose I forgot that because I more attributed it in my mind to Joffrey.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
While I’m griping, let me note that the Arya-is-going-to-kill-Ser-Meryn-Trant storyline, which has been pretty obvious ever since Cersei dispatched the latter to Braavos, just evolved from “Pleasant Nugget of Vengeance” to “Typically Overlong Benioff and Weiss Portrait of (Sexual) Villainy.” We already knew Meryn Trant was a bad guy. We didn’t need five minutes of his haggling for an underaged prostitute—“Too old,” “too old,” “too old,” “you’ll have a fresh one for me tomorrow”—to convince us that he deserved to die. He’s a third-tier baddie who should have shuffled off his mortal coil tonight. It’s a waste of precious time to extend his imminent, inevitable death into the season finale.

I wouldn't put it past the show (or GRRM) to take things in a completely unpredictable direction and have Trant kill Arya and that other girl at the house of black and white assume her identity. I don't think it will happen, but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if it did.

kidko

This convo is a few pages back but I thought Dany riding the dragon looked great. I would like to see what supposedly looks light years better. It looked far more real than any Avengers/xmen/transformers crap.

I took Dany closing her eyes as a form of communication between her and her Dragon. Like her distress finally enabled her to communicate. It could have all been chance, but it felt like more than that to me.

RDreamer

Y'all just upset that Dany is rising into greatness again. Dragon was absolutely badass!

The problem is that she's not even really rising to greatness. She's a terrible ruler, but she has dragons. That's apparently what her arc was all about. She shouldn't rule jack shit... but, dragons.

Yeah, it's absolutely unforgivable, Sir Davos' reaction will be interesting to see.

See, that showed a lot of cowardice on Stannis' part. Stannis knows he needs Davos as a military advisor, but he also knows Davos would actively prevent him from going full crazy. Stannis clearly couldn't face up to Davos' iron will to protect Shireen and the inocent and sent him away like a coward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom