• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guri

Thanks to everyone reminding me of Joffrey giving the orders to kill Robert's children. Didn't remember that.

As for Dany and meeting Tyrion and Varys, I think it's important to notice that she doesn't have any politician advising her at the moment. There was never anyone actually. Both Tyrion and Varys are really smart and can be valuable to her. They can also be persuasive. I am just curious about her reaction to two people she will initially distrust (considering their past relations and Tyrion being a Lannister) will be.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm not sure if anybody else noticed this.

abzMibM.gif

Don't make cripple jokes when in company of Sansa.

ValfarHL

Not sure if Jon's mercy is gonna be a good thing for him on Stanis or the Nigjtwatch.

I bet Jon's mercy is gonna secure the support of the Wildlings. Stannis will be fukken mad, but Snow will live and lead them.

I really, really hate watching people burned alive on TV, so Snow grew on my this episode. :p

Vashetti

Banned
We have no indications about what that message for Petyr was, right?

Presumably has to do with why they left in the carriage. I'm sure it'll come up.

I watched the last two eps of S4 just before this new one, and like someone said earlier, this ep very much seemed like an epilogue for S4 and a prologue for S5. Finished off loads of stories and started loads of new ones.

Griss

Huh, I'm in the weird position where I can finally post in this thread again as I only ever read the first three books. I just about started the 4th, but it was heavy sledding and just then season 1 started and I enjoyed it enough to put down the books for good. I don't need to ever read a 5 page description of a feast ever again, thanks.

But it's so strange to change from an 'insider' to someone who has no idea at all what's going to happen! I suppose that will happen to all book readers at some time as they outpace the source material. For example, the way that the religious order is introduced and the lannister cousin who knows Cersei's secrets having joined them seems very important, but for once I don't actually know if it is very important. It's a cool feeling! I reckon there are a lot of people who quit after book 3 who will be in this position. I also never talk about the show or books online, so I'm not aware of fan theories. This thread will probably clear some of that up for me.

Anyway, Varys and Tyrion are as great as ever. It seems clear what's going to happen here - Danerys isn't politically smart enough to rule and is getting all kinds of conflicting advice and poor intelligence from the many disparate people she has gathered together, but with the right Hand and Master of Whispers she would be a perfect ruler as she has a wonderful sense of justice and empathy. And look! Here come Tyrion and Varys. Problems solved. That has to be where this part of the story is going, but then again, it's GoT so who knows. I will say that it really feels like Dany, Jon Snow and Tyrion are 'destined' to survive at this point though, so the only thing that could really shake my sense of where the story is ultimately heading is one of them dying this season. Stannis, on the other hand, I'm worried about. It's when you're riding high that this series cuts you down. He'd be my dark horse bet as 'next king to go'.

The 'loss' of her dragons makes Dany crazy vulnerable though. The dragons were always the symbol of her invulnerability, or as some people put it, 'plot armour'. If she loses them, or the perception takes hold that she does not control them then she's finished. She doesn't seem to have a clue how to train them any more so I fear that a deus ex machina character is going to appear from the past to explain it to her or give her a book on the subject or something similarly lame. More likely, the dragons are just going through their 'teenage' phase, during which any mother struggles with her kids and the balance between giving them freedom and avoiding risk, and she'll have them by her side again soon enough. I do find a vulnerable Dany a far better proposition than the person who seems to have swanned through ludicrous odds wearing that same smile so many times since her nightmare first seasons ended and her dragons hatched and she went full Jean d'Arc. She's finally going to be tested as a proper ruler this season, and I love it.

Regarding the dragons, I also can't be the only one thinking that the three-eyed raven from last season's finale is going to teach Brandon how to 'warg' into Drogon. It might be the only way to control one of the beasts - and I'd almost prefer that to Dany getting them under control.

The scene with the unsullied guy getting killed had me properly rattled. Not sure what on earth the story is going to do with these guys. Right now Grey Worm is a character I can't get a handle on at all - I like the guy but I don't know what they want to do with him and this proposed 'romance' with Missandei seems abortive to me. I don't enjoy those scenes at all. I'm also wondering what they could possibly do with Arya now that she's not in Westeros any more. Seems like the thematic point of her story has been lost, as she was the 'war-child' who showed the human cost of the massive war on families and individuals, and how difficult it is just to survive in Westeros. What will they do with her now? Lots of ignoring her, like in this episode?

I also don't know what on earth people are smoking when they say 'maybe this is the series where it finally picks up / things start happening'. Am I the only one that thinks that considering the amount of characters involved, the directors have kept things at warp speed? Do people want a huge battle every episode or what? I personally love the more cautious set-up episodes like last night's. Anyway, I look forward to enjoying the rest of them with you guys.

Nameless

We have no indications about what that message for Petyr was, right?

My guess is Olenna. He's traveling West, to someplace where Sansa will be safe. The Reach is Southwest of The Eyrie, has tons of farms, fields, & castles, and the Tyrells owe him a favor(nevermind they're fond of Sansa and have a vested interest in keeping her safe and hidden).

Only thing that makes sense to me.

Griss

My guess is Olenna. He's traveling West, to someplace where Sansa will be safe. The Reach is Southwest of The Eyrie, has tons of farms, fields, & castles, and the Tyrells owe him a favor(nevermind they're fond of Sansa and have a vested interest in keeping her safe and hidden).

Only thing that makes sense to me.

What I wonder about Petyr is this:
Did he want to be king and have power to impress Catelyn (and now, by extension, Sansa), or did/does his thirst for power exist before that obsession with those women, overriding any affection for them.

Because the question of whether he's using Sansa as a tool to reach his end goal or if Sansa IS his end goal colours everything about that sub-plot completely differently. Sansa suddenly has a LOT of power if Littlefinger is truly besotted with her. I know that everyone is a pawn to Baelish, but for some reason I do believe that he feels something more than that for Sansa, in his own gross way. I don't think he'd sell her out. I guess we'll see.

Revolver

I enjoyed the episode, but yeah, I thought that was a new Grey Worm too at the beginning and was about to be pissed. I'm curious to see what becomes of Arya and the thought of Tyrion and Varys joining up with the Khaleesi makes me happy. That could potentially be so good.

aravuus

Regarding the dragons, I also can't be the only one thinking that the three-eyed raven from last season's finale is going to teach Brandon how to 'warg' into Drogon. It might be the only way to control one of the beasts - and I'd almost prefer that to Dany getting them under control.

Goddamn that'd be awesome

Griss

I enjoyed the episode, but yeah, I thought that was a new Grey Worm too at the beginning and was about to be pissed. I'm curious to see what becomes of Arya and the thought of Tyrion and Varys joining up with the Khaleesi makes me happy. That could potentially be so good.

Damn, was this common? I thought I was the only one, lol. I'm terrible with faces. I was like Grey Worm got access to roids? Speaking of which, how on earth could a eunuch put on that kind of muscle mass? I thought the lack of testosterone would make that near impossible.

studyguy

Damn, was this common? I thought I was the only one, lol. I'm terrible with faces. I was like Grey Worm got access to roids? Speaking of which, how on earth could a eunuch put on that kind of muscle mass? I thought the lack of testosterone would make that near impossible.

Pretty sure everyone thought that. It had to be intentional. The first words from my girlfriend were 'Did they recast that guy?' as I was about to ask the same question. The girl he visited looking so much like the handmaiden also had to be intentional to throw viewers off. It was simply too perfect of a comparison.

studyguy

Also anyone else think the scene transition between the emissary and Danny was sorta poorly done? One second she's talking the next it's bedtime.

UrbanRats

The Dragon queen plotline is already boring me to tears, again.
Move that plot on FFS, why would i care about the politics of a city that is just a minimally instrumental step, in the take over of Westeros? Next episode, we'll see how the reserves of beans are almost dry!

Hopefully, with Tyrion getting there, this will be the season to move her plot along.

Revolver

The way this show recasts characters you can never be too sure.

Soooo

What's the deal with the Dragons? Going through teenage rebelious years?

Being locked away in a cave by their "mother" must not have sat well with them coupled with testosterone probably kicking in have made them pretty ornery.

Griss

The Dragon queen plotline is already boring me to tears, again.
Move that plot on FFS, why would i care about the politics of a city that is just a minimally instrumental step, in the take over of Westeros? Next episode, we'll see how the reserves of beans are almost dry!

Hopefully, with Tyrion getting there, this will be the season to move her plot along.

I agree that it's dull, but the point is (I believe) to expose the core inconsistency at the heart of Dany's character.

She believes that people are equal, but that as a Targaryen her birthright is to rule over them.
She believes that she is a good person that puts people first and as such would be the best possible ruler of Westeros, but if she leaves for Westeros leaving the city she's in to burn then she is as bad as any evil lord.
She believes she is a natural born leader but in truth she struggles desperately with ruling one small city despite having a ludicrous amount of uber-soldiers.

She's not the magical fairy godmother that the story sometimes made her out to be, and she's going to have to realize her shortcomings and make some tough decisions, and maybe, finally confront the reality:
Maybe she can't, morally or physically leave to conquer Westeros
Maybe she wouldn't be the best choice of ruler for Westeros
Maybe her birthright means nothing
Maybe her power of dragons means nothing

It has been a long time coming, but her plot should just be starting to get interesting now.

MikeyB

Also anyone else think the scene transition between the emissary and Danny was sorta poorly done? One second she's talking the next it's bedtime.

That was a terrible edit. Jarring. EDIT: Also, strategically placing desks to hide the man-bits is distracting. Show them or don't but don't play a game of strategically placing objects and turning a leg to make sure a nut doesn't wink at the camera. It's ridiculous. Just shoot it differently.

As for what's going on with the dragons, they're beasts that seem geared to fighting and conquering and she's not putting them to use. I think that they're like dogs that are never walked.

I find her character conflicted to the point of distraction. She had such a hard-on for ruling Westeros that she tore the Khalisar apart, stole an army of slaves and was heading full-steam until she freed a second city and now she wants to rule that. She had so much momentum and then she simply stopped. I understand the rationale of the cities will fall into disarray and the people she freed would be worse off, but they haven't made that point clearly enough. She used to be one of my favorite characters, but each time she makes a decision now, I think that she sucks more.

Soooo

What's the deal with the Dragons? Going through teenage rebelious years?

She was their mother and she chose to lock them away. Their relationship is severely broken. She lost her control when she decided to cage them up rather than taming them.

1) I hate the new Daario so damn much.
2) The transition to this scene was pretty lame.

*serious conversation*
*cuts to dannys side boobs and naked dude* oh okay

Nameless

What I wonder about Petyr is this:
Did he want to be king and have power to impress Catelyn (and now, by extension, Sansa), or did/does his thirst for power exist before that obsession with those women, overriding any affection for them.

Because the question of whether he's using Sansa as a tool to reach his end goal or if Sansa IS his end goal colours everything about that sub-plot completely differently. Sansa suddenly has a LOT of power if Littlefinger is truly besotted with her. I know that everyone is a pawn to Baelish, but for some reason I do believe that he feels something more than that for Sansa, in his own gross way. I don't think he'd sell her out. I guess we'll see.

I believe Baelish when he says he wants all there is. Winning Cat's affections was just one of his many ambitions, as is the case with Sansa now.

Can't wait to see what his next move is, though. Tywin's death, while not something he could've predicted, creates the sort of chaos Littlefinger thrives in.

Griss

That was a terrible edit. Jarring.

As for what's going on with the dragons, they're beasts that seem geared to fighting and conquering and she's not putting them to use. I think that they're like dogs that are never walked.

I find her character conflicted to the point of distraction. She had such a hard-on for ruling Westeros that she tore the Khalisar apart, stole an army of slaves and was heading full-steam until she freed a second city and now she wants to rule that. She had so much momentum and then she simply stopped. I understand the rationale of the cities will fall into disarray and the people she freed would be worse off, but they haven't made that point clearly enough. She used to be one of my favorite characters, but each time she makes a decision now, I think that she sucks more.

I'm the exact reverse. The unaddressed conflicts in her character made me hate her both in the books I read (just the first 3, to be clear, then I stopped), and in the show (although far less in the show).

The death of her brother Viserys is always a sticking point for me. She did not care about him dying, for obvious reasons, although I found her almost complete lack of emotion, positive or negative, to that event, to be almost bovine in nature and terrible writing. But it was at that point that a light should have gone on saying 'My family name means nothing, because you can be a Targaryen prince/princess and still be a bad person and be brutally murdered by a horse-barbarian with no one to save you'. Instead her sense of entitlement is unaffected, and she even fucking names a dragon after Viserys! Whom she didn't give a single shit about! Why? Because he was a Targaryen, right? So he deserves respect. It's bizarre that she'd feel that way, having seen what she has seen.

The fact that she was treated like dirt and sympathized with servants and had lots of empathy should have pushed her beyond that stupid 'House' thinking. But it didn't, and she made very little sense to me because of it. Now that the conflicts are starting to bite her in the ass, and she's becoming more aware of them, I'm growing to like her more. What I really REALLY want to know is how she'd react if she was told what her father was like, and how the Targaryen name is seen by both the nobles and peasants of Westeros.

UrbanRats

I agree that it's dull, but the point is (I believe) to expose the core inconsistency at the heart of Dany's character.

She believes that people are equal, but that as a Targaryen her birthright is to rule over them.
She believes that she is a good person that puts people first and as such would be the best possible ruler of Westeros, but if she leaves for Westeros leaving the city she's in to burn then she is as bad as any evil lord.
She believes she is a natural born leader but in truth she struggles desperately with ruling one small city despite having a ludicrous amount of uber-soldiers.

She's not the magical fairy godmother that the story sometimes made her out to be, and she's going to have to realize her shortcomings and make some tough decisions, and maybe, finally confront the reality:
Maybe she can't, morally or physically leave to conquer Westeros
Maybe she wouldn't be the best choice of ruler for Westeros
Maybe her birthright means nothing
Maybe her power of dragons means nothing

It has been a long time coming, but her plot should just be starting to get interesting now.
I mean i don't disagree, i just think this has been going on for a long while.
And they seem to illustrate the point in roughly the same manner over and over when it comes to her, now.

megalowho

Thought the season opener was decent - some good one on one scenes, nice cinematography and direction, wrapping up threads from last season and setting up the major characters for what's next.

I had a hard time buying anything involving Daenerys, which is a shame since there was so much potential with her story early on. It's a mix of Emilia Clarke's acting, unnatural dialogue and the fact that she's been spinning wheels for a few seasons now. I get the character arc they're going for, just don't think they're pulling it off very well. Also there's zero chemistry between her and new Daario.

It's inevitable the show would change as characters die off but I'm a little concerned there's not enough compelling central figures left that can carry the show, especially in King's Landing - Tyrion and Arya will have to do some heavy lifting. Already getting the sense this season is going to feel even more compartmentalized with everyone spread further apart. Hope it all results in some decent character development and plot payoffs and not just Daenerys-style filler.

Cloudy

Banned
I read it, now I know. It sucks.

Spoiling is SO much more than just paraphrasing exactly what did happen or will happen.

Even vague hints about future episodes grinds my gears.

Pretty much EVERY episode ends with an OMG though (for me at least). I don't see how it's a spoiler. I'm sorry if you feel spoiled but trust me, there's no way you can be spoiled from that..

besada

Banned
I read it, now I know. It sucks.

Spoiling is SO much more than just paraphrasing exactly what did happen or will happen.

Even vague hints about future episodes grinds my gears.
Someone send me a PM of what got ninja edited, please. And then quit talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom