• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well keep in mind they still gotta deal with the White Walkers up in this piece. It all sounds well and good to journey south but shit's about to pop off up north.

DON'T GET ATTACHED TO JON. Do you realize how much pain and heartbreak they would achieve if they offed him? God, they're totally gonna do it aren't they. FUCK. I'm so scared the more I think about it and how cruel they were with Oberyn. I loved that man.

TeddyBoy

I'm shocked he made it to this season. It was clear to me that he wouldn't bend the knee no matter what. I'll be surprised if the rest of the wildling army doesn't backstab him at the drop of a feather.

I don't know, the only wildlings we really got to know where Mance, Ygritte and Tormund (I had to look his name up), without Mance I don't really see how we could integrate the wildlings without a pre-establihed character taking the lead.

Tormund save us.

I couldn't stop laughing during this part sadly because just previous to this episode my friend and I were talking about the upcoming season and he was adamant that Mance was going to have a huge role to play ahead. Welp!

Haha well at least the Boltons didn't get him, I'd rather burn than be flayed alive.
This was a tough decision.

ValfarHL

I love the idea of the Wildlings rallying behind Jon Snow, but the Night's Watch, if not The Wall itself would have to fall before Jon abandoned his vows. If it did come to that I think he'd value a free and independent North over anything, including The Iron Throne.

In any event the North is shaping up to be my favorite storyline this season.

Your post makes way more sense than mine, boo.

Remember in the speech Snow held to Mance just before the execution - about how he somehow managed to unite 90 different clans, and even some giants or sum like that.
Mance said in the end that he likes him, or he's a good man, or something.
They both have very strong principles, and now Snow is pretty much a hero to the Wildlings kept at the Nightwatch.

Me reckons, cause of what was said between Snow and Mance, the general mood of both scenes, and the several up close shots of the big Wildling guy that: All hell is gonna break loose at the base.
A fight will break up between Stannis' people and the Wildlings. Snow and some of the Wildlings will manage to escape, and the remaining Wildlings will tell all 90 clans about what a damn hero Snow is. Word of mouth, etc.

Then Snow will be the leader of 90 clans plus some giants and sum such.

Snow will then go for the Iron Throne!

Holy crap if I'm right!

That would be amazing.. But Jon Snow getting too much W's is not a good sign in the end.. We knwo damn well GRRM will do something to break us into pieces. Just look at what he did to previous likable characters

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That would be amazing.. But Jon Snow getting too much W's is not a good sign in the end.. We knwo damn well GRRM will do something to break us into pieces. Just look at what he did to previous likable characters

That's what I'm scared of.

And honestly, Jon just fucked with the Wildlings. I can't imagine they'd be so quick to forgive. But they probably will, because I don't see any other way out of this scenario.

ValfarHL

It's crazy that we have to apply that logic..

"I hope my favourite character gets his as beaten so he might live for a few more seasons."

Are there many examples of this, except Oberyn? I have a really bad movie and tv show memory.

spuckthew

A little surprised Mance died, I thought for sure he'd opt to join Stannis.

I thought some kind of cliché "I will kneel! I WILL KNEEL!" thing was gonna happen as he became engulfed in flames and either 1) it'd be too late with everyone gasping, 2) the fire would be put out but he'd die after, 3) the other Wildlings would go apeshit and do something (somehow - I realise they were shackled), or 4) he'd just burn in agony. Jon's mercy killing totally wasn't on the cards for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's crazy that we have to apply that logic..

"I hope my favourite character gets his as beaten so he might live for a few more seasons."

Are there many examples of this, except Oberyn? I have a really bad movie and tv show memory.

We do this bullshit in wrestling, funnily enough. "Ok if he won the two nights before...he's gonna lose at the pay per view"

I can't remember a game of thrones episode that slow. The only thing I really liked was the last 10 minutes. Hated the flashback scene, gave nothing to the story.

Man, I really hope it get's better.
RIP Mance Rayder

Kal_El

I had to have a super season 4 marathon to get caught up for season 5.

First, I really liked Chea? Shay?

Jon Snow is my favorite character. Why doesn't the "leader of the Night's Watch" seem to like him very much? My FFXIV tarutaru was named ElderJonSnow

I like how different Sansa and Arya are? If the roles were reversed I think they would both be dead or worse. I liked her with the Hound and I had to look up what the coin and the saying meant to get her on the boat.

When will Sam get with the wildling with 9 lives?

Lord Balish and Varys? (Bald guy) are my favorite behind the scenes chess players.

Nameless

I can't remember a game of thrones episode that slow. The only thing I really liked was the last 10 minutes. Hated the flashback scene, gave nothing to the story.

Man, I really hope it get's better.
RIP Mance Rayder

I don't know, learning that Cersei is doomed to lose everything including her children was a pretty big deal. I've often argued for her as one of the more sympathetic characters on the show. That definitely stands true after the flashback and all that's happened to her as of late.

sangreal

Just watched it again

I totally forgot that Dany had lost one of her dragons; wonder where they will go with that. Maybe that is the one for Bran?

Jon Snow is my favorite character. Why doesn't the "leader of the Night's Watch" seem to like him very much?

This, and why the hell does he still have the old captain of the city guard as his right hand man after he deserted during the battle?

fuck shay though, good riddance

To be honest, I really can't remember when Khaleesi lost one of the dragons. The last memory I have of them before they were sealed in is that the two of them were fighting over some meat while one was laying next to Khaleesi, and then of course when the bones were dropped before her. When did one of them fly away?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just watched it again

I totally forgot that Dany had lost one of her dragons; wonder where they will go with that. Maybe that is the one for Bran?

To be honest, I really can't remember when Khaleesi lost one of the dragons. The last memory I have of them before they were sealed in is that the two of them were fighting over some meat while one was laying next to Khaleesi, and then of course when the bones were dropped before her. When did one of them fly away?

I'm right there with you, guys. I'm still trying to remember what happened to it.

Maybe it's chilling with Nymeria, talking shit about their masters.

Curufinwe

I don't know, learning that Cersei is doomed to lose everything including her children was a pretty big deal. I've often argued for her as one of the more sympathetic characters on the show. That definitely stands true after the flashback and all that's happened to her as of late.

I don't find her sympathetic. Her defining trait is unfairly blaming her younger brother for the death of their mother and trying to get him hurt or killed since he was a baby.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

The last time we saw the black dragon was when he roasted a few sheeps from a farmer. Then later, some poor dude dropped the charred remains of his kid in front of Daenerys that the same black dragon killed, that's when she decided to lock up the other two(big mistake here, they were still fine then, now they hate her and might turn just as rebel as the black one).

Trailer spoiler?
And if i remember the trailer, we saw the black dragon flying over Mereen during a quick shot... who knows, he will probably free his brothers(sisters?) in a future episode and now we'll have three angry dragons free to do whatever they want. This doesn't bode well if it happens.

Revolver

The black dragon was the largest and getting out of control. Killing livestock and killed a child. He just flew off and hasn't been seen since.

The last time we saw the black dragon was when he roasted a few sheeps from a farmer. Then later, some poor dude dropped the charred remains of his kid in front of Daenerys, that's when she decided to lock up the other two(big mistake here, they were still fine, now they hate her).

Yeah, I remember when he dropped the remains of the child. So one of the dragons flying away was never actually shown? Was it even mentioned? Or was that supposed to be obvious when only two dragons entered the tomb (I suppose I just reasoned they couldn't fit all the dragons in one shot)?

The makers trolled us with the first unsullied right ? Totally thought they recast Grey Worm at the moment. Nice one.

Haha, I did think that too for a second.

The makers trolled us with the first unsullied right ? Totally thought they recast Grey Worm at the moment. Nice one.

Yeah, I would like an official word on that as well. There was no context to help the viewer understand why they were focusing on that particular unsullied, with Grey Worm being the only unsullied to receive the lime light before, so it's only natural to be confused.

sangreal

Yeah, I remember when he dropped the remains of the child. So one of the dragons flying away was never actually shown? Was it even mentioned? Or was that supposed to be obvious when only two dragons entered the tomb (I suppose I just reasoned they couldn't fit all the dragons in one shot)?

I just checked last season finale, and they mention after the roasted kid scene that some sailors saw Drogon days ago but nobody has seen him since

Yeah, I would like an official word on that as well. There was no context to help the viewer understand why they were focusing on that particular unsullied, with Grey Worm being the only unsullied to receive the lime light before, so it's only natural to be confused.

I think everyone is reading too much into this, it's just like the boy, his father and the goats. We had no idea who they were or why they were showing them, but they were part of a larger story arc, the dragons becoming problematic. In this case the bigger picture is that there are assassin's out there who want people dead.

I think everyone is reading too much into this, it's just like the boy, his father and the goats. We had no idea who they were or why they were showing them, but they were part of a larger story arc, the dragons becoming problematic. In this case the bigger picture is that there are assassin's out there who want people dead.

I think you're right, but I think there must have been a clearer way to show as much.

this fucking blasphemy

Ha, no. Shay is without question the worst actress and character on the show. It would be at least semi-believable if the actress was more attractive, but she's very plain.

SummitAve

Banned

What else is there to say? I assumed it was Grey Worm as well, but found out it was just some random unsullied shortly after when they mention his name. It was just done to show some of the usual GOT brothel nudity and introduce the golden mask dudes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, no. Shay is without question the worst actress and character on the show. It would be at least semi-believable if the actress was more attractive, but she's very plain.

I thought she was perfect for her role. God damn you people, god damn!

aku:jiki

Kinda surprised to see lots of posts saying this episode was slow... This show has always just been a bunch of people talking politics to me, and this episode was no different. I'm fascinated by every scene.

I think you're right, but I think there must have been a clearer way to show as much.
He was just a pawn that died to start a subplot and they explained said plot in the very next scene. I really don't see they could make it any clearer than they did...

Griss

I don't find her sympathetic. Her defining trait is unfairly blaming her younger brother for the death of their mother and trying to get him hurt or killed since he was a baby.

Her defining trait is bullying both of her brothers completely since childhood, but doing it in a way that one of them didn't really notice and in fact thought he was getting a good deal. Also being so stuck up, superior and isolated that the only person she saw worthy of being her lover and fathering her children was her own twin - the definition of Targaryen-style narcissism. She considers herself a master strategist and politician but is of average intelligence and over-emotional when it comes to slights against her social status. She considers herself her father's equal and valued his judgment but could not accept when he didn't respect her or dismissed her abilities because she is blind to her own stupidity, preferring to see it as a slight based on gender (which, to be fair, a part of it is). She doesn't understand that ruthlessness was only half of Tywin's power, the other half being rational thinking and consistently sound judgment. There's nothing even remotely sympathetic about her as a character, and nothing impressive about her as a player in the game.

She loves her kids, I guess. That's it. Most mothers do. Maybe her brother too. If they weren't her family I doubt she'd be capable of loving anyone, and even her family she is willing to use or turn on if they disappoint her.

A living wretch.

Trust me, she is a good actress, her writers fucked up, not her.

No. Just no. She seemed like she was struggling to deliver the lines. It was embarrassing. Every scene she was in was painful.

What else is there to say? I assumed it was Grey Worm as well, but found out it was just some random unsullied shortly after when they mention his name. It was just done to show some of the usual GOT brothel nudity and introduce the golden mask dudes.

I mean that in the sense of developer commentary, not further explanation in-universe. It's a scene that makes sense in retrospect, which can be fine sometimes, but I don't think they were trying to confuse us. There's no reason to, unless they just wanted to say "lol, look how racist our viewers are, all unsullied look the same".

I thought she was perfect for her role. God damn you people, god damn!

I guess I just don't get what Tyrion saw in her. She's petulant and not very intelligent, nor in my opinion very pretty. Tyrion has otherwise remarked of the beauty of Sansa, Cersei and Ros, and Shay looks very different from them. *shrugs*

Trust me, she is a good actress, her writers fucked up, not her.

Oh? Well that is too bad. I never know who to blame in situations like these, so I tend not to blame the otherwise competent people.

I don't think it could have been much clearer, even if it was Grey Worm who was killed it still wouldn't have given a different result and in the end you'd be just as confused and probably pretty pissed off that they killed Grey Worm. I know I would, this way who cares, nameless dude gets killed and no one cares but it introduces a new story and a new threat to look forward to.

Edit: Plus, we can just pretend that the guy was on the heavier side because they were now free men, they weren't slaves anymore. He was obviously going to brothels, how do we know he wasn't hitting the bottle as well? Maybe the dude was enjoying his freedom and eating until he couldn't eat no more and drinking like a fish.

Wow, they
just up and killed Mance
. Thought he'd be a big player.

I should have expected it, don't know why I didn't see it coming when he
refused to bend the knee.

She is a good actress, she really delivered in "Gegen die Wand", a german movie and also she was great when Tyrion first met her. The writers did fuck up, I haven't read the books but I heard she wasn't annoying at all in the books.

cormack12

Gold Member
Didn't Dany mention she hadn't seen Drogon for days and she was sort of losing control over him. He sort of just checked in now and again but he was never really as domesticated as the other two? I seem to recall something being hinted at by her regarding this.

I think Jon will gain the respect of the wildlings and with that redbeard pledge fealty to Stannis. This ties up the Jon/Allisor rivalry for the Night's Watch for the time being and allows the story to progress (Stannis will initally be angry with Jon but then realise he ultimately has his wish fulfilled). If things go as they are though, I fully expect Bran and Drogon to be facing off against Jon and Melisandre at some point.

I also think this season might see Dany have to use less power (dragons and unsullied) to become a stronger ruler, hence the introduction of Tyrion and Varys for a more subtle string to her bow.

I wish they'd stop with this 'near-miss' with Brienne and the Stark girls though. It's almost becoming a skit in a sketch show the amount of times they've been so close. It's just a bit out of character with the rest of the show, and feels out of place. Like it's meant to be a light-hearted distraction, but it's not even mildly amusing.

I'm looking forward to seeing The Bolton's get snotted everywhere. I hope we see Bron some more and I hope the Martells unleash all hell against the Lannister's. Also, do we assume Mountain has died of his wounds or do people think he will come back into it?

Griss

Wow, they
just up and killed Mance

That's strange, I never thought Mance would be anything other than a cameo. Seems a lot of people thought otherwise - why?

My thinking was
a) The real threat behind the wall is the white walkers.
b) The battle with the Wildlings is done - Stannis won, Mance lost, and Stannis could win again without issue if needed. Mance no longer has any power, and nor do the wildlings, really.
c) There's a king in the north (Stannis) and the Night's Watch has leaders (Aleser and Jon Snow), so we don't really need another leader
d) What is the point of the wildlings now that they're no longer a threat? Not much other than as soldiers for either Stannis or the Night's Watch. Don't need to keep Mance around to show them doing either of those things.
e) Ygritte is dead, another reason for the show to move on from the wildlings.

The wildling story is done, imo.

I don't think it could have been much clearer, even if it was Grey Worm who was killed it still wouldn't have given a different result and in the end you'd be just as confused and probably pretty pissed off that they killed Grey Worm. I know I would, this way who cares, nameless dude gets killed and no one cares but it introduces a new story and a new threat to look forward to.

Edit: Plus, we can just pretend that the guy was on the heavier side because they were now free men, they weren't slaves anymore. He was obviously going to brothels, how do we know he wasn't hitting the bottle as well? Maybe the dude was enjoying his freedom and eating until he couldn't eat no more and drinking like a fish.

I think it could have. If, for example, they had already shown Grey Worm in another scene this season, I doubt there would have been any confusion. It was probably just an oversight though, and a complication of them needing to shove so many disparate scenes into this episode.

Also, do we assume Mountain has died of his wounds or do people think he will come back into it?

I'm expecting him to come back when the (spoiler from some trailers)
Sand Snakes, daughters of Oberyn
come calling.

Can we at least call her by her proper name?

It's Shae.

It's like calling Jon 'John' or Jaime "Jamie". You should know the show you've watched for five seasons by now, folks.

It's never written down anywhere in the show, so name misspellings are forgivable to me.

Braag

Wow, they
just up and killed Mance

It was only a matter of time. I knew he wouldn't last long in the company Stannis.
I wasn't expecting it so early in the season though.

Can we at least call her by her proper name?

It's Shae.

It's like calling Jon 'John' or Jaime "Jamie". You should know the show you've watched for five seasons by now, folks.

haha.

You never see it written on the show though, regardless of how many times you hear it, you're first instinct will be to write it the way you know most common. We're all guilty of it at some point or another.

I think it could have. If, for example, they had already shown Grey Worm in another scene this season, I doubt there would have been any confusion. It was probably just an oversight though, and a complication of them needing to shove so many disparate scenes into this episode.

Wait, so the confusion stems from thinking it was Grey Worm being recast? I thought it was as to why it happened. Then yes, I'm on your side because my first instinct was that they replaced him as well.

My sweet prince
Oberyn
, I miss you so much :(

I like the latest Mountain the most, the others seem rather meh. What do you guys think, good cast ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom