• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

I read it, now I know. It sucks.

Spoiling is SO much more than just paraphrasing exactly what did happen or will happen.

Even vague hints about future episodes grinds my gears.

Agreed. I didn't see the post, but similar ones told me more than I cared to know. Even if people merely show excitement about a future episode it's enough to cheapen the surprises.

TeddyBoy

I enjoyed the first episode, it was slow and had to pick up a lot of pieces from the end to last season so I don't mind it taking its time.

A little surprised Mance died, I thought for sure he'd opt to join Stannis.

I can't wait to see Dr. Bashir! :D

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I enjoyed the first episode, it was slow and had to pick up a lot of pieces from the end to last season so I don't mind it taking its time.

I'm shocked he made it to this season. It was clear to me that he wouldn't bend the knee no matter what. I'll be surprised if the rest of the wildling army doesn't backstab him at the drop of a feather.

Cloudy

Banned
Someone send me a PM of what got ninja edited, please. And then quit talking about it.

All I said was OMG at the end of a certain ep and edited it within seconds. Nothing else. I didn't know we couldn't even say that in here. If I get banned for that so be it but I don't feel I did anything wrong on purpose

MikeyB

I'm the exact reverse. The unaddressed conflicts in her character made me hate her both in the books I read (just the first 3, to be clear, then I stopped), and in the show (although far less in the show).

The death of her brother Viserys is always a sticking point for me. She did not care about him dying, for obvious reasons, although I found her almost complete lack of emotion, positive or negative, to that event, to be almost bovine in nature and terrible writing. But it was at that point that a light should have gone on saying 'My family name means nothing, because you can be a Targaryen prince/princess and still be a bad person and be brutally murdered by a horse-barbarian with no one to save you'. Instead her sense of entitlement is unaffected, and she even fucking names a dragon after Viserys! Whom she didn't give a single shit about! Why? Because he was a Targaryen, right? So he deserves respect. It's bizarre that she'd feel that way, having seen what she has seen.

The fact that she was treated like dirt and sympathized with servants and had lots of empathy should have pushed her beyond that stupid 'House' thinking. But it didn't, and she made very little sense to me because of it. Now that the conflicts are starting to bite her in the ass, and she's becoming more aware of them, I'm growing to like her more. What I really REALLY want to know is how she'd react if she was told what her father was like, and how the Targaryen name is seen by both the nobles and peasants of Westeros.

I get where you're coming from, and it makes sense to me. However, either because of acting or how they told the story, I find myself having to make a lot of assumptions from how she got from the singly focused mighty conqueror kid to the ruler with principles based childish visions of justice. It's not that she is conflicted, but that I don't buy how she got there.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Oh, I see. Yeah, I haven't read the books. Would you mind giving me a short overview of the differences so I don't go through Google and accidentally spoil myself on something?

Read the OP. PM someone about that (like me) for questions like that, book discussion has no place here.

Revolver

All I said was OMG at the end of a certain ep and edited it within seconds. Nothing else. I didn't know we couldn't even say that in here. If I get banned for that so be it but I don't feel I did anything wrong on purpose

I didn't see it and even so I can't get mad with Tawney Talbot looking at me. *swoon*

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Even then, you shouldn't talk about episodes that haven't aired yet(even if it's just "OMG episode X is epic"), see quote below that's in the OP :

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get torrent software and the like to work, reviews and impressions of pirated content, talking about how you're currently watching/plan to watch illegally obtained episodes, and anything else like that is strictly prohibited. Obviously, posting spoilers from the leak is going to cop you a lengthy ban, as well. This applies for any television show that we talk about in the OT.

besada

Banned
It's been dealt with. Move on. And quit asking people for information from the books. And if you've read the books, you're posting in the wrong thread. This isn't rocket science, folks. Book readers go in the spoiler book thread, non book readers go here, and no one talks about episodes that haven't been released, except for from a business perspective and only in the leak thread. No more warnings.

studyguy

I liked the first actor. Not sure why they swapped. That dude had a rougeish charm this new dude seems to lack. Though I'm not sure if you'd blame the writing or the acting in that case. I still liked how he looked in general.

ValfarHL

Mod said enough discussion about the spoiler post(s), jeez. :p

Am I the only one who likes Snow, and especially the stunt he pulled in the end?
Great fucking acting of the chief. Those mumbled screams - you could hear how he tried to swallow the pain.

#TeamSnow

Oaktree

Banned
Guys. Crazy shit happened this morning.

A co-worker and I was discussing GoT from last night and I mentioned that I didn't know it was like four episodes into season 5 and my co-worker was like, "WTF are you talking about. S5 just started last night." I told him I have watched this show on CT up until Season 5, Episode 2 and told him things he hasn't seen yet. He didn't believe me so I showed him. Somehow, CT has got the damn shows up until Season 5, Episode 4. So I am an episode ahead. Contemplating watching the other 2 episodes tonight. Not sure how CT got them before they aired.

Am I the only one who likes Snow, and especially the stunt he pulled in the end?
Great fucking acting of the chief. Those mumbled screams - you could hear how he tried to swallow the pain.

#TeamSnow

I really expected one of the free men to end his life by throwing an axe or shooting an arrow, so I saw the arrow coming, but for some reason I didn't imagine Snow would do it. I'd imagine Stannis and his puppet master would get angry at that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

#TeamSnow
I'll be shocked if there's no retribution for that. Melisandre and Stannis ain't getting any of that softie Jon Snu shit.

Vashetti

Banned
Members dropping like flies and the season has barely started.

Fuck whoever leaked those episodes. Now we have idiots coming in here hinting and making up nonsense stories.

Just leave us alone.

ValfarHL

I really expected one of the free men to end his life by throwing an axe or shooting an arrow, so I saw the arrow coming, but for some reason I didn't imagine Snow would do it. I'd imagine Stannis and his puppet master would get angry at that.

I was waiting for so many things to happen:

1. The chief to change his mind just before the hot fire lady lit the fire. (Not really in his character, but you know..maybe wishful thinking)

2. The free men all to bend their knees to try and save him.

And much more that I can't remember.

Anyways, really great and suspenseful scene!

Revolver

#TeamSnow

I used to just tolerate Jon Snow but I'm starting to like him more. I imagine there will be blowback for what he did from Stannis the Mannis and the red witch though. Maybe Davos can calm things down.

Griss

Pretty sure that's exactly what you were expected to think. I was sure Tormod or whatever the big guy is called was going to charge the pyre or throw a knife too. The fact that it's Jon with the balls to do it is what makes it so impressive.

I also don't know how exactly they'll punish him. After all the guy ended up dead, and he did still burn, if only just a little. Melisandre would probably be more pissed off than Stannis, tbh. Not sure Stannis would even care that much unless there's a specific law against what Jon just did, and Stannis does need the Night's Watch onside. Executing Jon would be rank stupidity.

I'm shocked he made it to this season. It was clear to me that he wouldn't bend the knee no matter what. I'll be surprised if the rest of the wildling army doesn't backstab him at the drop of a feather.

I'm thinking the same thing, I'll be shocked it they don't bend the knee and fight for Stannis.

aravuus

I'm excited to see if the number of deaths in season 5 will be lower than the number of bans in this thread by the time the season ends

ValfarHL

Pretty sure that's exactly what you were expected to think. I was sure Tormod or whatever the big guy is called was going to charge the pyre or throw a knife too. The fact that it's Jon with the balls to do it is what makes it so impressive.

I also don't know how exactly they'll punish him. After all the guy ended up dead, and he did still burn, if only just a little. Melisandre would probably be more pissed off than Stannis, tbh. Not sure Stannis would even care that much unless there's a specific law against what Jon just did, and Stannis does need the Night's Watch onside. Executing Jon would be rank stupidity.

They can't kill Snow now - he's one of the few, if not the only, good person still in the show. :p

Maybe he'll be banned, if that's even a thing in the Nightwatch. And then go on to build his own army of wildlings, who now probably loves him.

Nameless

#TeamSnow

Snow is the most like Ned out of all the Stark sons, a true Warrior of The North. Putting Mance out of his misery might have been the best course of action after he refused to bend a knee. Not only should it earn him some points with Tormund and the Wildlings, but there's less of a chance Mance serves as a martyr against Stannis since his people didn't have to watch and listen to him slowly die screaming.

aravuus

#TeamSnow

I've always liked Snow, don't even know why

Revolver

They can't kill Snow now - he's one of the few, if not the only, good person still in the show. :p

Maybe he'll be banned, if that's even a thing in the Nightwatch. And then go on to build his own army of wildlings, who now probably loves him.

I think the wildlings would probably be willing to follow him now and Stannis would be smart to use that to his advantage. I do feel bad for him when everyone calls him a bastard all the time. Just rub it in why dontcha?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Brandon isn't going to "warg into Drogon". That doesn't even make sense. If such a thing happens I will be disappointed.

ValfarHL

I've always liked Snow, don't even know why

I think what I've always liked most about him, is that he's the silent, thinking type. Brave as fuck, but never boasts about it.

Even though he on several cases clearly have been shitting his pants, he always comes through.

Also he has a great character development, as he now craps his pants more rarely. :D

He's good at heart, but no pussy.

KorrZ

I couldn't stop laughing during this part sadly because just previous to this episode my friend and I were talking about the upcoming season and he was adamant that Mance was going to have a huge role to play ahead. Welp!

Griss

Brandon isn't going to "warg into Drogon". That doesn't even make sense. If such a thing happens I will be disappointed.

Why doesn't it make sense? You can warg into rats, crows, human beings, but not Dragons? Dude has practiced on Hodor, and warging into a human has to be tough.

munchie64

Dragon warging makes sense to me. Seems like a pretty legit guess of where this is going imo, especially after the "fly" line last season

ValfarHL

I think the wildlings would probably be willing to follow him now and Stannis would be smart to use that to his advantage. I do feel bad for him when everyone calls him a bastard all the time. Just rub it in why dontcha?

Remember in the speech Snow held to Mance just before the execution - about how he somehow managed to unite 90 different clans, and even some giants or sum like that.
Mance said in the end that he likes him, or he's a good man, or something.
They both have very strong principles, and now Snow is pretty much a hero to the Wildlings kept at the Nightwatch.

Me reckons, cause of what was said between Snow and Mance, the general mood of both scenes, and the several up close shots of the big Wildling guy that: All hell is gonna break loose at the base.
A fight will break up between Stannis' people and the Wildlings. Snow and some of the Wildlings will manage to escape, and the remaining Wildlings will tell all 90 clans about what a damn hero Snow is. Word of mouth, etc.

Then Snow will be the leader of 90 clans plus some giants and sum such.

Snow will then go for the Iron Throne!

Holy crap if I'm right!

KorrZ

Why doesn't it make sense? You can warg into rats, crows, human beings, but not Dragons? Dude has practiced on Hodor, and warging into a human has to be tough.

Dragon warging makes sense to me. Seems like a pretty legit guess of where this is going imo, especially after the "fly" line last season

It almost seems too obvious though, like thats what every single person is thinking after that line, and I feel like Game of Thrones almost never goes down the completely obvious path.

I honestly would watch a show where Little Finger is the main character, and just follow him from birth to death. He is one of the most fascinating characters in the show, and he has really had an influence form season one to now.

MikeyB

Holy crap if I'm right!

Yeah, this. Then he'll get mired near Winterfell, Daenarys will take King's Landing and then head to destroy Jon, the White Walkers will finally manifest as a threat south of the wall, they'll unite riding a dragon controlled by Bran and marry and rule.

The end. Winter came, but never settled. A light dusting of Snu.

ValfarHL

Yeah, this. Then he'll get mired near Winterfell, Daenarys will take King's Landing and then head to destroy Jon, the White Walkers will finally manifest as a threat south of the wall, they'll unite riding a dragon controlled by Bran and marry and rule.

The end. Winter came, but never settled. A light dusting of Snu.

Would be fucking sweet, but that Snu shit is making me laugh way too much.

death_by_snu_snu_by_nebezial-d6x9ipc.jpg

Edit: Hah, you just made fun of me, I didn't realize!. My theory is atleast plausible, yours is directly from Sinbad or some shit. :p

I think Sansa's the one to watch this season. I bet she's going to out-Littlefinger Littlefinger.

I don't think that will happen this season, he has so much life experience and been doing what he does for so long. She's still new to "the game" and we just saw her get into it last season when she made her transformation. I think she still has a lot of learning to do before she can out fox little finger. But that does look like her end game.

munchie64

It almost seems too obvious though, like thats what every single person is thinking after that line, and I feel like Game of Thrones almost never goes down the completely obvious path.
Well yeah I can see where you're coming from, but it doesn't make no sense like Jackben said.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, was this common? I thought I was the only one, lol. I'm terrible with faces. I was like Grey Worm got access to roids? Speaking of which, how on earth could a eunuch put on that kind of muscle mass? I thought the lack of testosterone would make that near impossible.

It's not unreasonable if Grey Worm gets his hands on the muscle elixirs of...uh...westeros.

Animated jiff of Ned Stark in a rare scene

vOQTo5E.gif

Nameless

Remember in the speech Snow held to Mance just before the execution - about how he somehow managed to unite 90 different clans, and even some giants or sum like that.
Mance said in the end that he likes him, or he's a good man, or something.
They both have very strong principles, and now Snow is pretty much a hero to the Wildlings kept at the Nightwatch.

Me reckons, cause of what was said between Snow and Mance, the general mood of both scenes, and the several up close shots of the big Wildling guy that: All hell is gonna break loose at the base.
A fight will break up between Stannis' people and the Wildlings. Snow and some of the Wildlings will manage to escape, and the remaining Wildlings will tell all 90 clans about what a damn hero Snow is. Word of mouth, etc.

Then Snow will be the leader of 90 clans plus some giants and sum such.

Holy crap if I'm right!

I love the idea of the Wildlings rallying behind Jon Snow, but the Night's Watch, if not The Wall itself would have to fall before Jon abandoned his vows. If it did come to that I think he'd value a free and independent North over anything, including The Iron Throne.

In any event the North is shaping up to be my favorite storyline this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom