• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIS

The problem is that she's not even really rising to greatness. She's a terrible ruler, but she has dragons. That's apparently what her arc was all about. She shouldn't rule jack shit... but, dragons.

Obviously yes, But she is learning and her character has been considerably developed in season 4 and 5.

And yes, her control of dragons is a metaphor of her controlling the the world around her. The moment she started to lose control over her children all hell broke loose, now she summoned AND tamed drogon. Dany is back yo!

mokeyjoe

This convo is a few pages back but I thought Dany riding the dragon looked great. I would like to see what supposedly looks light years better. It looked far more real than any Avengers/xmen/transformers crap.

Cost of one season of GoT - $60m
Cost of Hobbit trilogy - $745m

I'm not going to nit pick.

The problem is that she's not even really rising to greatness. She's a terrible ruler, but she has dragons. That's apparently what her arc was all about. She shouldn't rule jack shit... but, dragons.

If she succeeds her arc will not only be about learning to control dragons but will be about learning to rule with them as well. Her arc is all about learning to fit the position she feels she's destined to be. I loved her comment that she wants to break the wheel.

televator

Stannis is beyond redemption now... on the other hand... There is no telling what kind of black magic is commming for the Boltons. Maybe Roose gets flayed alive and his remains get fed to Ramsay while Theon makes him a eunuch. Then Darth Sansa watches the whole thing with a smirk on her face.

wildfire

Banned
How many gods are there in the story? The many faced God seems pretty legit too. The claim for fire god to be the "one true" god seems like a farce to me. Always has. Even if the powers are real. I also suspect the red witch to be up to her own devices and not at all concerned with Stannis's path. Like she's pulling the puppet strings. The only things about this arc I was sure of was that she would pit him and his daughter against each other, and she did. I personally hope Brianne takes and axe to his dome and I have a hard time seeing Davos follow him now. I"m not sure how Stannis dies, but I feel like he does and I sure hope it's painful.

Red God/Lord of Light
Known blessings:
Shadow assassins
Resurrection

Old Gods
Known blessings:
Give children super powers (warging, premonition)

The Seven
Known blessings:
none (all indications say these gods don't exist at all and are only a tool to promote iron throne/Westeros politics,)

The Many Faced
Known blessings
Transmogrification

RDreamer

If she succeeds her arc will not only be about learning to control dragons but will be about learning to rule with them as well. Her arc is all about learning to fit the position she feels she's destined to be. I loved her comment that she wants to break the wheel.

That's the problem. She hasn't learned to control them at all. Drogon came to her rescue completely at random.

I guess the lesson is that she shouldn't have abandoned them at all. Which I suppose is an alright lesson in a way. It still doesn't make the arc terribly interesting to watch compared to if the arc was her actually learning how to rule.

I'm guessing perhaps that's what next season is for. Tyron advises her and she gets shit in shape while actually learning to control her dragons. That would be rad, I suppose. Still makes this season a bit of a side-step and kind of a bore, but what can you do?

Nameless

This is a great little clip that everyone needs to watch so I'm quoting for a new day.

Definitely! She mentions the Son of Fire in that clip, the one who will lead mankind against the White Walkers and The Lord of Darkness. According the History & Lore series(included with the Blu Rays) the last/original Son of Fire forged Lightbringer using the actual heart of the woman he loved. That was the sacrifice the Lord of Light required -- a vile and reprehensible leap of faith that ultimately saved lives.

Zoon

I'm still on team stannis and I don't understand why he is getting so much hate.He had to sacrifice his daughter to get a chance to live.If he didn't he either tries to siege winterfell and dies or return to the wall and die from the winter.All his other options lead to his army and him dead.

MikeyB

Is it just me or are things becoming more and more convenient lately. It's kind of hard to suspend my disbelief.

Definitely. They could have condensed several storylines to better build up less of them. They spend a lot of time on inconsequential garbage and long meaningful looks, but not enough on building the back story of the huge events in the last two episodes.

For example, rather than have Tyrion and Jorah travel together, have Varys and Tyrion arrive as they planned, have Barristen and Grey Worm healthy and have Tyrion and Varys work for Daenerys' respect.

With all that found time, build up the gradual mounting resistance, cut out the feeding a high born to a dragon, and have her marry against Tyrion's advice. Have Jorah fight his way to the Pit. After Jorah's win, instead of the Harpies killing the crowd members, have her husband make a speech about the win being nothing in the scope of history and go on about the permanence of Mereen. Then the entire crowd tries to stone the Royal party and a sizable unsullied guard. They flee to the center of the ring to escape the stones. The stoning stops as Sons of the Harpy enter the ring. The royal party successfully fights their way out, Barristen and Grey Worm are respectively killed and injured, (maybe Dario eats shit too, because fuck that guy) the Unsullied holds everyone in the Coliseum, and then Dany frees two of her dragons and has them roast and eat the entire crowd. Varys and Tyrion are scared shitless and she says, we leave for Westeros.

ASIS

I'm still on team stannis and I don't understand why he is getting so much hate.He had to sacrifice his daughter to get a chance to live.If he didn't he either tries to siege winterfell and dies or return to the wall and die from the winter.All his other options lead to his army and him dead.

Stannis sacrificed the thing most dear to him in order to "win". He's so far gone with his "destiny" talk that he refused to act before it was too late.

"We march to victory or we march to defeat, but we keep going forward" were his words all season. If he really believed that he would have marched anyway, but it's obvious he just wants victory at all costs.

What a coward and a cunt.

Nameless

Stannis sacrificed the thing most dear to him in order to "win". He's so far gone with his "destiny" talk that he refused to act before it was too late.

"We march to victory or we march to defeat, but we keep going forward" were his words all season. If he really believed that he would have marched anyway, but it's obvious he just wants victory at all costs.

What a coward and a cunt.

As he sees it his destiny is not just to "win", but to defeat the White Walkers and end the eternal night that comes with them. If it was only about the Throne I don't think he does it, but in his eyes literally everything is at stake here and it's all on him.

He could have marched back to Castle Black or if he were short on supplies, order it from Castle Black and then make his way back. Castle Black can hold his army or spread it amongst other castles. Lord knows Jon could use help.

He should have listened to Davos and waited for the snow to pass. But his greed knows no bounds. Killed his brother, daughter and tried to kill his most trusted lieutenant Ser Davos himself. The red lady has him by his balls.

ASIS

As he sees it his destiny is not just to "win", but to defeat the White Walkers and end the eternal night that comes with them. If it was only about the Throne I don't think he does it, but in his eyes literally everything is at stake here and it's all on him.

I don't think he actually believes that. He says a million times he doesn't know what he saw. But he decided to go through it. If he actually cared about all that he would have taken Davos' advice and head back to the wall when it became apparent that they were going to lose.

I believe he wants to be king more so than to be the savior of the world. he will sacrifice anything to get it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Book readers..Is the tv show caught up yet?

I think it was answered a few pages back that the next episode should be pretty much up to the end of the current book for most storylines? Can't confirm, I've only read the first 3 so far.

boxter432

He could have marched back to Castle Black or if he were short on supplies, order it from Castle Black and then make his way back. Castle Black can hold his army or spread it amongst other castles. Lord knows Jon could use help.

He should have listened to Davos and waited for the snow to pass. But his greed knows no bounds. Killed his brother, daughter and tried to kill his most trusted lieutenant Ser Davos himself. The red lady has him by his balls.

99% sure it was mentioned that castle black couldn't support stannis' army/that many people much more.

wildfire

Banned
Oh goddamn it, they better not have her fail. Someone on this show needs to have a good day for once.

tumblr_lylas0rzfn1r9h4heo1_500.jpg

talisa.jpg

YAx3OYo.png

11420789_360018837528853_1624271082_n.jpg

Moments where characters had good days.

99% sure it was mentioned that castle black couldn't support stannis' army/that many people much more.

Right, so he sent Davos for their food anyway. Granted there's an ulterior motive to kill his daughter there, but he's loosing the pragmatic side and going full on crazy throne driven mad.

Definitely! She mentions the Son of Fire in that clip, the one who will lead mankind against the White Walkers and The Lord of Darkness. According the History & Lore series(included with the Blu Rays) the last/original Son of Fire forged Lightbringer using the actual heart of the woman he loved. That was the sacrifice the Lord of Light required -- a vile and reprehensible leap of faith that ultimately saved lives.

Interesting, I don't remember hearing that, but I've only gotten through the first 2 seasons worth of History and Lore so far, can't wait to finish off the rest when I've got time to give it my full attention.

Stannis is a major player in the end game and people are going to have to come to terms with it.

What's interesting now though is how he'll clash with Dany because I'm assuming that Dany will play a role in the White Walkers as well, actually, has "Winter is Coming" ever been spoken in the south? I'm not sure if it has.

Oh goddamn it, they better not have her fail. Someone on this show needs to have a good day for once.
It probably wont. Arya is very smart, confident, capable and focused unlike "Im soo shtupid" Sansa. She didn't waste the poison on Thin Man, meaning she saved it for Trant.

The more I think about where this story is headed the more concerned I become. I hope HBO won't do what I think they're gonna do, just for the sake of shock value. It's obvious Meryn Trant is sexually attracted to little girls. I hope they won't have Arya try to kill him, pretending to be a prostitute, and fail...and end up getting raped. Just imagine the blow-back with both Stark girls getting raped this season. I hope I'm wrong.

Nothing would shock me at this point. I think Arya will be fine though. Hopefully.

Speevy

Banned
The show has caught up...in the sense of a rope being caught up around someone's neck, and they're collectively hanging from it in the other thread.

Nameless

I don't think he actually believes that. He says a million times he doesn't know what he saw. But he decided to go through it. If he actually cared about all that he would have taken Davos' advice and head back to the wall when it became apparent that they were going to lose.

I believe he wants to be king more so than to be the savior of the world. he will sacrifice anything to get it.

Marching his entire army back to The Wall in those treacherous conditions would have not only cost him more men & horses, but as he says, it would quite possibly mean being stuck there for years.

He questions the Lord of Light due to impatience but he knows what he saw. "When you see the truth, right in front of you, how can you deny that her god is the real God?" Also you can't really separate his role as savior and his taking Iron Throne at this point, they're one in the same in his eyes. His debut scene on the show even makes that apparent.

https://flavorwire.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/tumblr_lylas0rzfn1r9h4heo1_500.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://thegeekiary.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/talisa.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://feministfiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/YAx3OYo.png?w=600[IMG]

[IMG]https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e15/11420789_360018837528853_1624271082_n.jpg[IMG]

Moments where characters had good days.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but only one of those four is a good day, and only one of them is from this season (and it's not one of the good ones).

But of course there have been a few good days.

Jayof9s

Why was the audience boohing when Jorah was winning?

I believe they were booing because he wasn't from Meereen. Like a home team crowd sorta thing.

And the last guy he killed had been introduced as the Meereen champion.

All of the fighters represented some location/culture - Jorah as a Westeros knight, the guy with the rapier was from Braavos, there was a Dothraki, etc. It would have been cool if they introduced each of them, since I had no idea who at least half were supposed to represent, but obviously that would have taken a while and not added to the story.

a916

Olly really is going to screw us over isn't he?

What if he kills doesn't poison Jon/Sam but actually tries to go after a wildling and sparks a war in Castle Black between the two sides? Then Jon has to do what Robb did, kill his own kind and lose supporters.

Olly really is going to screw us over isn't he?

What if he kills doesn't poison Jon/Sam but actually tries to go after a wildling and sparks a war in Castle Black between the two sides? Then Jon has to do what Robb did, kill his own kind and lose supporters.
I dont understand why Jon doesnt get it. I mean he should know by now that Castle Black is seething. They just got done alighting the funeral pyres of their fallen brothers and Jon brings the enemies who killed them. Did he expect Olly to smile back? Come on duder. You know nothin.

mokeyjoe

I dont understand why Jon doesnt get it. I mean he should know by now that Castle Black is seething. They just got done alighting the funeral pyres of their fallen brothers and Jon brings the enemies who killed them. Did he expect Olly to smile back? Come on duder. You know nothin.

I think he does, he just doesn't really think he has a choice.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just caught up, this episode was really emotional I thought. Kind of surprised me as I didn't realise I was connected to the characters as much. Not sure if I was sad at Shireen or seeing the worst of Stannis surface and eclipse the good in him.

And near the end when Drogon came in to save the day and was taking spears. I really enjoyed this episode. Apart from that last bit of CGI - I was just waiting for Falcorrrrrrrr!!!

giphy.gif

Arya's storyline is just borderline boring at the moment though. Looks set to heat up though, not sure how Jaqen will react to 'a girl' crossing off targets from 'Arya Starks' list.

Well episode ten it is then next week and the conclusion of this season. Guaranteed big death then :s

ramparter

Banned
Never really liked Stannis, just wanted him to hand it on the Lannisters which he didn't manage, and now I wanted gim to hand it on the Bolton's which he will fail miserably I believe. But man what the fuck, fuck, fuck... Unbeliavable douche and loser. Die!

But OMG at the finale! Episode redeemed!

PS: Lol at the "revolution", everything regarding the sand snakes was completely butchered. One moment she drops her wine and the other she is crying for been given mercy? Then that peaceful talk with Jaime? lololololol They could as well have skipped all these...

xaosslug

nobody knows the trouble Jon's seen, nobody knows his sorrow.

Zeliard

So almost all we've been through so far, all of the houses fighting each other, was pretty much pointless then? That's interesting.

That's one of the major ideas in the story. All of the intricate in-fighting and political gamesmanship is petty and pointless in the face of magical, nearly invulnerable ice creatures and their legion of zombies, as they're on the verge of eating human civilization.

Stannis and the Boltons are about to bitterly fight for Winterfell and all it's going to seemingly get them is a place as an appetizer in the ice zombies' course menu. It's been a form of dramatic irony throughout much of the story.

Olly hurting either Jon or Sam or anyone but a Wildling is about the dumbest thing i've ever heard. Its so dumb it will likely come to fruition. This show isn't exactly subtle and all those extra long mopey looks from Olly and wanna-be angry faces points towards him doing something stupid.

Would be just like this show to build up a character for 5 seasons, show him as being a true hero and someone you could get behind, just to be offed in some ridiculous manner.

Drogon was shown to be a cool Dragon this episode. He will soon die too. He will likely get shot in the wing by some stray arrow over the battle of winterfell and then crash into the sea hundreds of miles away the very next scene and drown with Dany looking on.

Ithil

Tyrion and Jorah arrive and fight in the exact smaller pit that Dany is apparently watching over. (and that's not even mentioning Tyrion's strange journey of going to Mereen to be kidnapped to go to Mereen then taken by pirates to go to Mereen.)

Tyrion was nowhere near Mereen when Jorah grabbed him, and Jorah had no idea Tyrion was already going there, he just took advantage of seeing him in Volantis.
The pirates weren't going to Mereen either, in fact, they didn't, they sold them both to gladiator slavers who would be going to Mereen now that the fighting pits were reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom