• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

I still wonder where they'll go with a few of these storylines. Especially Cersei/Margaery and the whole High Sparrow plot. Maybe they'll get Mountain'd?

Only people complaining about last night's CG are the graphics whores from gaming side. Pls. Just stick to the books. We don't care if there was no lack of pixel shading or whatever.

I still wonder where they'll go with a few of these storylines. Especially Cersei/Margaery and the whole High Sparrow plot. Maybe they'll get Mountain'd?

With only one episode left in the season it does seem like there is a shit load of loose ends they need to tie up in one hour.

I know they always have cliffhangers but it seems like there is just so much unresolved and nowhere near being resolved. Feels strange to me.

Apt101

The whole "Rains of Castamere" thing, and a poor family pretending to be wealthy while a family that is actually wealthy gravitates closer to the throne? I'm guessing the Lannisters will be wiped out like how they wiped out the Rains, and the Tyrell's take their place.

Edit: The writing seems to be on the wall. That older Tyrell is basically the analogue to Tywin Lannister. He's dead. His best son is off with Dany. His other son is a swashbuckling idiot who had his only skill taken from him. His daughter, ruling, is completely self destructive. Meanwhile the old woman lives and schemes.

Ferrio

Banned
Do we know what happened to Varys since he got separated from Tyrion? Varys is my favorite character and I've missed him lately. PEACE.

Left in the dust. I assume they silently dropped him for the rest of the season due to more important matters. Just so much you can fit in :(

Blader

Why did Stannis' daughter have to die again? Stannis got away with just fucking Melisandre, and all Gendry had to do was donate some blood via leeches.

sangreal

Boat or carriage? They were in a carriage when they got to Volantis, right? PEACE.

Correct. Presumably because they did not want to sail through old valyria

I just came here to post my thoughts on that.

I really didn't like that scene and felt it didn't belong in last nights episode, there was nothing of value there other than them returning, which served no purpose other than showing some kids disapproval yet again, we get it, Olly is angry and doesn't approve.

What a pointless bit of filler that should have been used in an episode where they spent more time at The Wall, gone further into detail about the events especially now that there are so many others who have witnessed what many felt were just stories.

I was hoping to see them return somewhat traumatized, the look in their eyes would have instilled fear into non believers. Something, anything. But nope, filler scene instead.

I agree, but I would have been more upset if they didn't address the return at all. It was a very much open question whether or not they would actually open the gates

The Ramsay off-screen sabotage scene was pretty weak too

no but seriously, i was really annoyed that there was no wind blowing past her when she rode. I mean, get a fan and just make sure her wig is extra tight during that scene. It's not a cg issue, it's a crappy production issue

BokehKing

Banned
Only people complaining about last night's CG are the graphics whores from gaming side. Pls. Just stick to the books. We don't care if there was no lack of pixel shading or whatever.
It's not that, it just takes you out of the experience on nice tv's.

So if the future of the series revolves around dragon riding, it has to look better.

Nameless

That leech shit didn't even kill Balon Greyjoy

You could say it did...

960.jpg

BokehKing

Banned
He left the Red Lady behind during Blackwater against her wishes. Prior to that fight he was willing to disagree with her, and he had expressed his doubts; after that, not so much.
She couldn't put out camp fires, or prevent them, she wouldn't have been a big help with wild fire. Almost 85% sure of that.

Apt101

So if the future of the series revolves around dragon riding, it has to look better.

I'm a graphics whore and I thought they were fine. Though I did watch it on a 27" 1080p monitor and not my giant-ass TV.

zewone

Last week I was praising the special effects of the show being better than most blockbusters. But this week.....not so much.

Five

Banned
am I the only one that was surprised to hear there are 19 castles on the wall?

They've spoken about the many castles before. Like when the wildlings were asking Jon which of them were manned. ("Castle Black" "Aye, everyone knows Castle Black")

sangreal

They've spoken about the many castles before. Like when the wildlings were asking Jon which of them were manned. ("Castle Black" "Aye, everyone knows Castle Black")

Yeah, I knew there were more -- like east watch

Just didn't realize there were so many

Sad state of affairs when they only have 50 men

BokehKing

Banned
Last week I was praising the special effects of the show being better than most blockbusters. But this week.....not so much.
Exactly, a majority of last week was CGI and it looked amazing.

Last night, was kind of like watching a 90's sitcom "driving in a car" scene with the background looking horrible in contrast to the actors

woen

Something is obviously going to happen with Olly and Jon. As you've said, there have been too many blatant narrative clues; it's leading up to some sort of showdown between the two, likely in the finale.

What comes of it remains to be seen, but I don't put anything beyond the show. I don't know if you can say any character here truly has plot armor, even the two most obvious candidates - Arya and Daenerys.

Don't forget Brandon, even though he mysteriously disappeared from the whole season.

So this probably means that the Onion Knight is going to have a real bad time when he gets back from the wall?

Yeah, I think he just goes into overdrive and kills Stannis. I mean, it's a coin flip between him and Breinne. Both have a good enough reason to kill him but in both cases, I don't see what either would do for the rest of the story once he dies. Maybe they team up to....something.

If it's Brienne, I want her to put a knife in his back like the shadow did to Renly.

If it's Davos, I want him to cut his throat and then smother his mouth with his nub hand while he chokes out.

So assume the Baratheons are the true heirs. Who would be ruler given Stannis and his daughter would be gone and Genry is a bastardo?

Apt101

Yeah, I think he just goes into overdrive and kills Stannis. I mean, it's a coin flip between him and Breinne. Both have a good enough reason to kill him but in both cases, I don't see what either would do for the rest of the story once he dies. Maybe they team up to....something.

If it's Brienne, I want her to put a knife in his back like the shadow did to Renly.

If it's Davos, I want him to cut his throat and then smother his mouth with his nub hand while he chokes out.

So assume the Baratheons are the true heirs. Who would be ruler given Stannis and his daughter would be gone and Genry is a bastardo?

As Cersei pointed out before, the throne belongs to whoever can take it. Claims? Paper? What does any of it matter?

I think Little Finger will ease up in, but be forced out when the true heroes Dany and John Snow show up. But who knows.

Melon Husk

Too many loose ends.

"I want to hear all about the Dance of Dragons when I get back"
"You'll read it yourself"

And you won't get back by the end of the season Ser Onion, I'm sure of that. Looks like I'll have to read the damn book aswell. They can't close half a dozen storylines in the final episode, and that just makes me sad.

Was yesterday's episode only 30 minutes long or something? Jon's return had no value for the viewer and the drawn out hesitation at the gate amounted to nothing but more bickering and ill omens from the bitter man and the kid gave maybe his fifth evil eye to Jon.

I'm half expecting Olly the boy to torch the place and poison the food supplies and stab someone important in the face and jump the Wall to join the frost zombie horde for revenge.

i think the producers came out and said that the reason bran is taking a break is that his story caught up with the books. Having not read the last couple of books, i'll assume that they still dont have a story for him next season unless they're tapped directly into whatever GRRM is doing for TWOW.

Then again, they also said that they were continuing with Sansa's stuff even though it suffers from the same issues as Bran's story does. It's just weird, it's like that time we got 2 Full Metal Alchemists series on the same content.

As Cersei pointed out before, the throne belongs to whoever can take it. Claims? Paper? What does any of it matter?

I think Little Finger will ease up in, but be forced out when the true heroes Dany and John Snow show up. But who knows.

Well, yeah. The Lanisters have the thrones with no claim so it's up for grabs but I meant traditionally. Stannis was the rightful King since his brother died with no trueborn heirs Now the same thing is likely going to happen to Stannis. I wondered how succession SHOULD work in this case.

Apt101

Well, yeah. The Lanisters have the thrones with no claim so it's up for grabs but I meant traditionally. Stannis was the rightful King since his brother died with no trueborn heirs Now the same thing is likely going to happen to Stannis. I wondered how succession SHOULD work in this case.

Oh, right. Well any (edit: legitimate) child of Robert, and then his oldest sibling. So as far as the world knows Stannis.

Oh, right. Well any child of Robert, and then his oldest sibling. So as far as the world knows Stannis.

Without him and Renly, would it fall to a cousin or male member of the wife's family?

The talk about Aemon's possibly succession was really interesting

Apt101

Without him and Renly, would it fall to a cousin or male member of the wife's family?

Nearest collateral line at that point. Edit: in other words, who is the next eldest within the line. Cousins, aunts or uncles, doesn't matter.

sangreal

I don't know the answer to your question, but Aemon's would-be succession was much more straight-forward. He was the oldest heir when his father, the king, died

sangreal

Also, I guess this isn't the last we've seen from the guy she was supposed to marry. Something is too suspicious about his behaviour. Oh and I couldn't help it but laugh at Dany leaving the rest of her company to fly on Drogon. lol

I'm pretty sure he is dead now, but yeah it was very suspect when he showed up late

That wasn't a great episode nine. Last week was much better. I knew Stannis would roast his daughter. Her screams were pretty fucking disturbing though. Idon't mind though as I have dozens of happy shows to watch. I'm absolutely fine with seven seasons of complete and utter abject misery. I have a feeling Stannis is going to be the player to beat. Whatever he summons versus Dany's dragons. Hopefully Jon snow comes out triumphant. I thought Aryas scenes were boring, hope she gets out of that place soon.

I agree it was rather underwhelming episode. When they kept showing Dorn, Arya and her borefest adventures I got very disapointed. I like the twist of turn of events at least with the dragon which was expected to happen but nevertheless cool. Jorah Fedorah finally got to hold his womans hands again.

I bet something tragic will happen with Stannis one way or another. I am still sceptical that the visions of great victory will go as planned.

Apt101

If Stannis wins the throne, who would be the next in line now that Shireen is gone?

The eldest Lannister. Edit: who is not otherwise oathed to some other role. So not Jaime.

Edit 2: succession works exactly how the word implies. The first born. If all sisters and brothers are dead, it falls to the eldest extended family member most closely related to the noble line. That includes the secondary house of the crown - in this case the Lannisters. After that - hmmm, not sure. Since the path to ascension was broken once House Targaryen was ousted. At that point it could well be a Stark, since the "King in the North" wields secondary powers.

Poor, sweet Shireen.

In my gut I knew it was going to happen. Stannis has shown an obsession with his 'Lord of Light' destiny to the point that rationalizing and accepting the sacrifice of his own daughter was inevitable. It was still the most difficult- and most emotional- of all the deaths in this show thus far for me. As usual with this show, my mind immediately went towards the usual tropes and I thought for a moment that either Stannis would stop the sacrifice or Davos would roll in and rescue her. Once again, Game of Thrones shows no mercy.

This is one that still lingers, but in a different way than Ned... or Robb/Catlyn... or Obeyrn.

I've had three characters for the past couple seasons that I figured would be the most difficult to see hurt/broken/killed should any/all happen to them- and this stems from me feeling like they represent a certain purity and innocence in such a dark, dirty world. More so than any other characters in this show, these are the three thus far that have me the most concerned for their fate:

-Sam (I pegged him to be a goner instantly, but he's trudged along, impressively so. He's just a sweet guy and would be perfectly content with his nose in a book in a library for the rest of his days. He deserves a happy ending.)
-Tommen (the unfortunate recipient of 'the throne' and a child of incest with a group of religious fanatics holding influence over King's Landing, this kid has 'doom' written all over him. He appears thoughtful and compassionate. I could imagine, with the right council, Tommen turning out to be a fine, honorable king unlike his shithead brother. A polar opposite. I could easily see Tommen as someone that Ned would approve of. Sadly, he rose to his position in a really terrible time. If he was older and sits on that throne before Joffrey, so much changes in this story, IMO.)
-Shireen (well, sadly I can mark this one off my list after last night. I could see the writing on the wall and I knew if Stannis fulfilled his twisted sense of destiny poor little Shireen would not make it. It was just as, if not more-so, heartbreaking than I anticipated.)

Stannis situation brings up an interesting discussion, though: you have been tasked to save the world and you have seen enough evidence to believe it. How far would you go and what would you sacrifice for it?
I know for certain I would fail the world, as I'd never sacrifice any of my daughters- especially in such a horrible manner. A character like Stannis has shown his resolve, though. It's horrible, but it is in line with his character. I have absolutely no doubt that he honestly believes what he did was right, yet you can still see the emotional damage that belief is causing him.

I've noticed some posters roll in here from last night trying to shame others that showed some support for Stannis these last few seasons.
I think that's a low blow.
There's a complexity to his character that goes well beyond just "YO, BRO JUST KILLED HIS KID!"- and although his sense of justice and divinity is absolutely brutal, he also showed aspects of honor that (apparently) he made a name for himself over the years with. I feel like, more than a lot of characters on this show, Stannis could easily be viewed as a tragic character. He's an honorable man that became engulfed and brainwashed by religious zealotry. Even if he does win the Iron Throne, I feel like the cost will be too great for him to ever bear. He had one last piece of humanity to hold onto- and it just went up in a sacrificial fire.

This show/story is fascinating, but constantly heartbreaking.

Also my coworker asked me bewildered "Did people like Stannis? Why?" And I couldn't give a straight answer. Why did we liked him again?

We didn't. Dude has had like three segments throughout the entire series that didn't show him as a fanatic with no compassion, and most of those have been this season explicitly to lead up to this episode. Book readers have been hyping him and people grasped at more than was ever shown on screen.

Nikodemos

Does Dany being Blood of the Dragon make her immune to greyscale or something? Cause there was a moment when I'm sure she touched Jorah's left hand.

Also, LOL @ Arya selling oysters in a brothel.
Many Mediterranean cultures consider oysters to be an aphrodisiac, so the clients would be easy marks (see the guy who paid a silver instead of three coppers) which is why people repeatedly tried to throw her out (saw her as a grifter).

And I'm pretty certain Jaquen saw through her lie, but wants to see where the action is going. Though I suspect a crooked insurance salesman and a murderous molester cunt are relatively equal in vileness in the eyes of the Many-Faced God.

I like to skip those segments :p

Also my coworker asked me bewildered "Did people like Stannis? Why?" And I couldn't give a straight answer. Why did we liked him again?

Cause he came to the aid of the Nightwatch , has the Onion knight by his side and was/is the only hope for the Boltons to get wrecked. He kinda lost most of his support after that sacrifice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom