• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olly hurting either Jon or Sam or anyone but a Wildling is about the dumbest thing i've ever heard. Its so dumb it will likely come to fruition. This show isn't exactly subtle and all those extra long mopey looks from Olly and wanna-be angry faces points towards him doing something stupid.

Would be just like this show to build up a character for 5 seasons, show him as being a true hero and someone you could get behind, just to be offed in some ridiculous manner.
Could it be that showrunners are forcing us to only get behind Dany? Because it looks that way. Stannis had a semblance of a good character and then he burned his daughter alive.

So how many unsullied are left?

It feels like they should be completely extinct now after a ton of them dying.

I think she had a huge army of them, I doubt they were all in the city. The ones that god murdered by the Harpies were stationed in the city as patrols. So she probably has a decent number of them left. I'd say maybe 100 of them have been killed in the city (less than half of that was shown on screen, and I doubt there were that many more killings that weren't shown).

Still I agree with everyone, Daenarys has no idea how to rule, Tyrion needs to save this epic fail situation ASAP.

Speaking of Tyrion, last week he said that killing those devoted to you doesn't inspire devotion, I wonder how his thinking will play on in Stannis' situation. His men all watched as he sacrificed his own daughter so they have a chance to win/survive. I wonder how the men will react to it, will they be disgusted like GAF, or will they become more devoted to him?

Zeliard

Olly hurting either Jon or Sam or anyone but a Wildling is about the dumbest thing i've ever heard. Its so dumb it will likely come to fruition. This show isn't exactly subtle and all those extra long mopey looks from Olly and wanna-be angry faces points towards him doing something stupid.

Something is obviously going to happen with Olly and Jon. As you've said, there have been too many blatant narrative clues; it's leading up to some sort of showdown between the two, likely in the finale.

What comes of it remains to be seen, but I don't put anything beyond the show. I don't know if you can say any character here truly has plot armor, even the two most obvious candidates - Arya and Daenerys.

I'm fearing Olly more than anyone at castle back in all honesty, that boy is passing just too unnoticed
maybe he is a Faceless Man

Could it be that showrunners are forcing us to only get behind Dany? Because it looks that way. Stannis had a semblance of a good character and then he burned his daughter alive.
We can still root for Jon Snow, too. I know he doesn't want the throne but he's still a major player.

RDreamer

Tyrion was nowhere near Mereen when Jorah grabbed him, and Jorah had no idea Tyrion was already going there, he just took advantage of seeing him in Volantis.
The pirates weren't going to Mereen either, in fact, they didn't, they sold them both to gladiator slavers who would be going to Mereen now that the fighting pits were reopened.

He wasn't near Mereen, but he was going there.

It doesn't matter what their intentions were. The end result was that there was never any zigging with this zagging. It lead to an incredibly boring arc this season. It's just as I put it. Tyrion intended to go to Mereen. Then Jorah kidnapped him to take him to Mereen. Then the pirates may not have originally been going to Mereen or whatever, but by the end of the exact scene they popped up, they were suddenly going to Mereen. There's no tension in that for the watcher. It's a straight line with a bunch of fluffy bullshit thrown in to try and make it more exciting. It was dumb and coincidental as fuck.

That's one of the major ideas in the story. All of the intricate in-fighting and political gamesmanship is petty and pointless in the face of magical, nearly invulnerable ice creatures and their legion of zombies, as they're on the verge of eating human civilization.

Stannis and the Boltons are about to bitterly fight for Winterfell and all it's going to seemingly get them is a place as an appetizer in the ice zombies' course menu. It's been a form of dramatic irony throughout much of the story.

It would be great to see some ultra dramatic battle with one of the victors clamber atop a burning tower and hoisting a flag... only for a giant zombie army to show up on the horizon.

Apt101

Yea, Olly is a kid who doesn't have the wisdom years brings. No reflection, no placing things in context. His entire worldview is built around the savagery of the wildlings. John helping them makes him an enemy. Olly being around cannot be good for Snow. And I agree with other posters that this show is anything but subtle. They telegraph shit loudly episodes in advance.

a916

Yea, Olly is a kid who doesn't have the wisdom years brings. No reflection, no placing things in context. His entire worldview is built around the savagery of the wildlings. John helping them makes him an enemy. Olly being around cannot be good for Snow. And I agree with other posters that this show is anything but subtle. They telegraph shit loudly episodes in advance.

If they begin next week's show showing Olly and his parents dying... we're all screwed.

Sober

I think she had a huge army of them, I doubt they were all in the city. The ones that god murdered by the Harpies were stationed in the city as patrols. So she probably has a decent number of them left. I'd say maybe 100 of them have been killed in the city (less than half of that was shown on screen, and I doubt there were that many more killings that weren't shown).

Still I agree with everyone, Daenarys has no idea how to rule, Tyrion needs to save this epic fail situation ASAP.
Dany doesn't have anyone to run a proper city guard nor apparently do any of her advisors know anything. She has battlefield soldiers who are taught to fight in formation to patrol the city and I'm guessing most of the Harpies are mercs or pit fighters who know how to fight dirty in 1v1s and up close. That's mostly why the Unsullied seem to just be dying so well this season.

Speaking of Tyrion, last week he said that killing those devoted to you doesn't inspire devotion, I wonder how his thinking will play on in Stannis' situation. His men all watched as he sacrificed his own daughter so they have a chance to win/survive. I wonder how the men will react to it, will they be disgusted like GAF, or will they become more devoted to him?
From the preview it looks like
the snow lets up and the ice melts away which gives Stannis and his men a chance to fight. Probably because his sacrifice worked out. But what bothers me is how he is gonna siege Winterfell without the siege weapons that Ramsey destroyed, or even straight up assault the castle.

Carbonox

Fuck Stannis and fuck anyone who backs that mad cunt. :p Never liked him and I truly hope karma
Drogon
bites him in the ass.

The last 20 minutes or so though were excellent and I was fucking loving seeing Drogon come down and wreck shit. Got a bit tense when the spears started flying as it would have been a bittersweet end for him had he died but I'm glad he saved the day.

Despite Dany's issues throughout the show I'm still 100% on board with her (I've enjoyed as much as I've loathed where she's concerned) and her dragons (ok mainly her dragons). Hopefully she now kicks on, gets the other two and destroys the fuck out of her enemies. Nothing more satisfying than seeing dragons merk every dickhead.

Why does Dany hate the culture of the fighting pits so much...when her first husband was a rapist and raped and pillaged everybody.

Also, I still don't really get how she got the dragon eggs. From what I understand, it was a gift from her host Illyros (sp), but where did he get it? Seems like an odd and coincidental way to become a dragon queen. Unless Illyros was given those dragons by the Mad King, and he kept them safe for the successor

Apt101

I think what they're trying to project with Dany is that she has all of the potential and power in the world, but she's still a young and conflicted person at heart who is learning things the hard way at every step. Her fleeing the carnage on the back of her dragon throws all of the plans others have had for her in doubt.

Will she forge ahead on her own now? More confident? Or will she spend time reflecting and return a true queen, finally listening to the correct advisors and never following her heart again? She just faced certain death for the second time and was miraculously saved (she didn't know she'd survive the fire earlier in the series). If they don't progress this character after this then they truly are just stalling for GRRM.

Why does Dany hate the culture of the fighting pits so much...when her first husband was a rapist and raped and pillaged everybody.

Also, I still don't really get how she got the dragon eggs. From what I understand, it was a gift from her host Illyros (sp), but where did he get it? Seems like an odd and coincidental way to become a dragon queen. Unless Illyros was given those dragons by the Mad King, and he kept them safe for the successor

Not really. Like Valyrian steel, dragon eggs are rare but still found in the world. The host had them, because he was wealthy, and saw them as a fitting gift given her lineage.

Because she's young and hypocrite. Young people tends to respond with emotional reaction rather than their brain. Plus she has an ego of a Targaryen.

RDreamer

Her first husband also had slaves, too. I think after he died she became her own person, which is understandable, especially considering she didn't even choose that husband. She set out to free slaves after seeing the Unsullied. She freed the slaves in Mereen. It would be weird for her to allow the pits to be open while freeing the slaves, because only slaves fight in the pits, and she knows that.

He was a rich dude willing to house Targaryen political fugitives. I don't think it's much of a stretch that he bought some expensive but "dead" dragon eggs, too. He was probably a fan of their rule.

It's not like he got dragon eggs that people knew would hatch. It took the fire for that to happen. I guess no one knew how to hatch 'em, or it took a Targaryen to do it.

SiteSeer

1) probably because she expects the civilized cities to know better, it is a blood sport. for the dothraki it's their way of being.

2) i think they were a wedding present from that guy, as he was a supporter of the targaryen throne and having dragon eggs given to the dragon kings descendant probably made sense, i think i read the eggs are from the far east.

3) anyone else notice jorah's prop sword bending and twisting during his pit scene? was a couple flashes but it really stood out to me. lol

Apt101

I saw a Facebook friend complained about how Ellaria Sand's treason is silly and implausible. Personally I think they're doing it to show that the Dornish king's mercy (is he a king?) will eventually be his downfall. Bastards, incest, whatever, no one is special in Dorne, almost nothing looked down upon, and they've seemed to not have the same political in-fighting the other kingdoms have had. Which makes them complacent. Ellaria is going to implode their serenity from the inside. Just my guess. Edit: I mean, even the peaceful gardens seems to be a non-subtle clue.

Or she dies stupidly and none of it matters. Who knows with this show at this point.

Dahbomb

Fuck Stannis man...

104294-he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-SGL1.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think he does, he just doesn't really think he has a choice.

Well he's right. Every single person killed on the other side of the wall is just another soldier in the White Walker's undead army. He needs to get as many people on his side of the wall to defend it as humanly possible. Everyone else is stupid for not seeing it.

I saw a Facebook friend complained about how Ellaria Sand's treason is silly and implausible. Personally I think they're doing it to show that the Dornish king's mercy (is he a king?) will eventually be his downfall. Bastards, incest, whatever, no one is special in Dorne, almost nothing looked down upon, and they've seemed to not have the same political in-fighting the other kingdoms have had. Which makes them complacent. Ellaria is going to implode their serenity from the inside. Just my guess. Edit: I mean, even the peaceful gardens seems to be a non-subtle clue.

Or she dies stupidly and none of it matters. Who knows with this show at this point.

He's given her another chance, but like he said: it's her last. Dorne basically comes off as a meritocracy, if you're awesome then nothing else matters. Honestly he doesn't seem too complacent, the Dornish king just seems sick of war and will do what it takes to prevent it.

Gaz_RB

It's weird they didn't really seem to talk about what happened at Hardhome. Castle Black should be freaking the fuck out.

If they begin next week's show showing Olly and his parents dying... we're all screwed.
I like to skip those segments :p

Also my coworker asked me bewildered "Did people like Stannis? Why?" And I couldn't give a straight answer. Why did we liked him again?

ASIS

Marching his entire army back to The Wall in those treacherous conditions would have not only cost him more men & horses, but as he says, it would quite possibly mean being stuck there for years.

He questions the Lord of Light due to impatience but he knows what he saw. "When you see the truth, right in front of you, how can you deny that her god is the real God?" Also you can't really separate his role as savior and his taking Iron Throne at this point, they're one in the same in his eyes. His debut scene on the show even makes that apparent.
i interpret that scene completely differently.I mean yes he saw magic and he can't explain it, but he doesn't believe in the sacrifices and all the shit he's done for the god of light. the red woman was feeding his ego time and time again, but he still isn't fully accepting it.
and yes, he would be stuck for a long time, so what? he was going to lose tons of men and horses anyway, he just didn't want to be remembered as the 'king who retreated'

different interpretations I suppose...
still a cunt

It's weird they didn't really seem to talk about what happened at Hardhome. Castle Black should be freaking the fuck out.

I just came here to post my thoughts on that.

I really didn't like that scene and felt it didn't belong in last nights episode, there was nothing of value there other than them returning, which served no purpose other than showing some kids disapproval yet again, we get it, Olly is angry and doesn't approve.

What a pointless bit of filler that should have been used in an episode where they spent more time at The Wall, gone further into detail about the events especially now that there are so many others who have witnessed what many felt were just stories.

I was hoping to see them return somewhat traumatized, the look in their eyes would have instilled fear into non believers. Something, anything. But nope, filler scene instead.

RangerX

Banned
That wasn't a great episode nine. Last week was much better. I knew Stannis would roast his daughter. Her screams were pretty fucking disturbing though. Idon't mind though as I have dozens of happy shows to watch. I'm absolutely fine with seven seasons of complete and utter abject misery. I have a feeling Stannis is going to be the player to beat. Whatever he summons versus Dany's dragons. Hopefully Jon snow comes out triumphant. I thought Aryas scenes were boring, hope she gets out of that place soon.

TeddyBoy

I've supported Stannis' claim to the Iron Throne since his appearance in Season 2, but killing Shireen is a real test.

The night is long and full of terrors indeed :(

Drogon looked great fighting the Harpies and it was sort of nice to see them as mortal beings rather than these invincible beasts the show has described until now.

Killing Renly was just modus operandi of nobility. It's what they do: challenge and defeat their siblings for the claim of the throne.

This is like a king with nothing left but a rumor of victory from a priest, a king who lives and dies by the idea of succession, killing his only heir to win a battle.

But you know, I think all of this, our reactions and debates, are exactly what the showrunners had in mind. Even if it did come from GRRM. They knew how to make it play out to sadden and conflict viewers.
Rumor? Really now?

LosDaddie

Banned
Great episode!

I was actually standing up yelling at the HDTV "Call your dragons! CALL YOUR FUCKING DRAGONS!!" And after that happened "RIDE THAT MOTHERFUCKER OUT"

Maybe the cognac had a little to do with it. :) I can't wait for Sunday

Cake Boss

Banned
Great episode!

I was actually standing up yelling at the HDTV "Call your dragons! CALL YOUR FUCKING DRAGONS!!" And after that happened "RIDE THAT MOTHERFUCKER OUT"

Maybe the cognac had a little to do with it. :) I can't wait for Sunday

I did this too.

I am not proud. I been waiting for that moment since the season 1 finale.

Hm. I guess I can buy that there are other dragon eggs out there in the world, and that it took mother dragon to warm it herself, to get them to hatch.

Though it makes me wonder about the other dragon eggs in the world...do people think they are fossilized? Do they try to hatch it? Crack it open? Are the dragons suspended in the yolk until warmed by a dragon mother like Dany?

Do we know if there are other lands that have active dragons, or did they all die out, save for some eggs that no one knew how to hatch?

Apt101

I did this too.

I am not proud. I been waiting for that moment since the season 1 finale.

Me three. I almost cheered out loud when she closed her eyes because I knew what was coming.

Hm. I guess I can buy that there are other dragon eggs out there in the world, and that it took mother dragon to warm it herself, to get them to hatch.

Though it makes me wonder about the other dragon eggs in the world...do people think they are fossilized? Do they try to hatch it? Crack it open? Are the dragons suspended in the yolk until warmed by a dragon mother like Dany?

Do we know if there are other lands that have active dragons, or did they all die out, save for some eggs that no one knew how to hatch?

I've read the books and watched all of the Bluray extras and couldn't answer. No idea.

Jarnet87

my prediction for the season finale

Stannis takes Winterfell but the Boltons escape to survive another day, Arya gets revenge (one way or another, she or Jaqen will kill Trant, Jon gets betrayed, Tyrion and crew discuss Daenerys, last final bit of episode shows her with her dragon/dragons.

Pimpwerx

Do we know what happened to Varys since he got separated from Tyrion? Varys is my favorite character and I've missed him lately. PEACE.

ASIS

and then there was this terrible cg where no wind was hitting her face as she nearly pisses herself flying away to the nearest taco bell
i mean this is a show after all. Shit like the dorne fight scenes are inexcusable but we need to be a bit more lenient on CGI. they had a few bad shots but overall it's still mighty impressive what they acomplished.

EDIT: Fuck android keyboards, I miss my iPhone :(

Jarnet87

Do we know what happened to Varys since he got separated from Tyrion? Varys is my favorite character and I've missed him lately. PEACE.

I'm guessing still on the way to Meereen via boat. Mace just arrived in Braavos and he was told to head there in episode 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom