• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brojito

Neo Member
Very interesting episode. I love that the show isn't scared to dive into controversial topics (burning of kids and rape) because universe the show is set in is indeed dark and filled with sadness. I predict that burning his daughter will drive him into eventual insanity where he will murder Melisandre.

What always amazes me is the fact that, whenever the show depicts some form of rape (such as a few episodes ago with Ramsey and Sansa), all you see is outrage on the internet from Gawker sites and their ilk because rape of female characters is such a supercharged topic.

Then a few episodes later and Stannis burns his own screaming little girl alive, and everyone's like "meh, that was a rough episode."

Valus

Yeah, I'm super worried about Jon Snow now. They haven't been subtle in showing that kid is about to do something that impacts the story.

Jon is the first character to meet the true last boss. I'm confident he will be around until the end game at the very least.

Very interesting episode. I love that the show isn't scared to dive into controversial topics (burning of kids and rape) because universe the show is set in is indeed dark and filled with sadness. I predict that burning his daughter will drive him into eventual insanity where he will murder Melisandre.

I expect it will be Davos who kills her, not Stannis.

Theon's father never cared for him and his sister gave up on him when she saw how broken he is. Not really much point in showing them again I suppose.
We know there was a leech for Balon but don't know if anything ever came of it. I think the ironborn are still vying for the iron throne or at least control of the north, so it's worth at least showing why they aren't major players anymore.

We know there was a leech for Balon but don't know if anything ever came of it. I think the ironborn are still vying for the iron throne or at least control of the north, so it's worth at least showing why they aren't major players anymore.

People have brought up the point that Ramsay ruined any chance of the Greyjoy name living on, which is a roundabout way of the leech working

Brojito

Neo Member
Maybe they'll be back for season 6.

I'm assuming that's what will happen... There's no way they just dropped out of the picture like they seem to in the show. The North is in more turmoil than it ever has been, I don't think Balon and the rest are just sitting around doing nothing. I imagine it's just a time constraint thing, just like how we haven't seen Bran at all - this season we got Dorne, next season we'll get the Iron Islands.

Blader

Everyone's all like #TeamStannis and #TeamBolton and #TeamWights and I'm just sitting here all season wondering where the fuck the Greyjoys all went.

His sister gave up on him after seeing how broken he was, and Balon has no use for a dickless heir.

What always amazes me is the fact that, whenever the show depicts some form of rape (such as a few episodes ago with Ramsey and Sansa), all you see is outrage on the internet from Gawker sites and their ilk because rape of female characters is such a supercharged topic.

Then a few episodes later and Stannis burns his own screaming little girl alive, and everyone's like "meh, that was a rough episode."
I actually thought the "too old" stuff was worse then both those. Guy has raped an underage girl and intents to come back every day for a new one. We didn't see it happen of course, but still.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Balon is such a prick. Blaming his son for his own past failures, and basically sending him on a mission with no chance of success.

To be honest, his father wanted him to raid a fishing village. Theon decided to attack Winterfell instead by himself.

Camwi

Theon's father never cared for him and his sister gave up on him when she saw how broken he is. Not really much point in showing them again I suppose.

Personally, I'm glad they're not on the show anymore. I hated how Theon's sister was such a bitch to him the whole time (so what if he tried to bone her?), and then she sees his dismembered sausage and all of a sudden is on #TeamTheon. I thought that was badly done.

Lorcain

At this point Jon is the only leader in all of Westeros that really knows wtf is coming. He was even personally taunted by the Night King in case he had any doubts.

It doesn't make sense to me that Jon could be killed off anytime soon
don't fucking do it Olly
. First contact with the White Walker leadership, including a stare down. That's his adversary now.

At this point Jon is the only leader in all of Westeros that really knows wtf is coming. He was even personally taunted by the Night King in case he had any doubts.

It doesn't make sense to me that Jon could be killed off anytime soon
don't fucking do it Olly
. First contact with the White Walker leadership, including a stare down. That's his adversary now.

As others have said, he has had 'plot armour' up till now because he is the only character we're invested in in that story arc. There will obviously be a battle at the wall. At that point it doesn't matter if he lives or dies. Either way going forward that story arc merges with the others.

There is no way Reek is having any sort of baby making stuff, right?

raw

Curufinwe

To be honest, his father wanted him to raid a fishing village. Theon decided to attack Winterfell instead by himself.

You're right. Balon gave him the job of captaining one ship to raid villages, and Theon was so humiliated he decided to take Winterfell to show his dad how loyal & strong he was.

Yup, the episode was an emotional roller-coaster for me. From despair to exhilaration.

Shireen's burning and Drogon in the pit are both classic Game of Thrones moments for me now, in my top 10 favourites.

The last 3 episodes have really been something else!

Five

Banned
The idea that using "less" for countable items is a mistake is a bullshit rule that was pulled out of people's ass.
It's not even about traditionalism, there was never a point in time that this was reflective of common use. People were looking for symmetry with "much" and "many" since "fewer" is indeed never used with not countable items, but that's not how English works.
Stannis stays losing.

The distinction has been observed for over two hundred years. Also, everything in every language was "pulled our of people's ass" at one point or another. In this case, having a distinction helps remove ambiguity from phrases like "less promising results". Is there less promise in each of the results, or fewer results with promise?

Ok makes sense. Wasn't Theon sold to Ned to stop them from destroying the rest of the house?

Yep, Theon was to sent to Winterfell as a ward, which is basically a hostage. I think it's basically a way for the Greyjoy line not be destroyed but obviously Balon would have no influence over Theon anymore, until Ned died and Theon left for Pyke.

Dorne in general has been complete and utter shit. But I think it's more of a set up for whats to come.

That's definitely what it is. I think some shit's gonna happen when Dorne's heir arrives at king's landing to a shit storm. I'm really curious how this all plays out actually. Cersei is in a jail. Cersei has been arrested for the same shit Jamie did. Their uncle is now the King's hand. The king is a giant wimp. Cersei's still got some black magic up her sleeve with the mountain. Fuckin' shits gonna get real IMO.

Dorne in general has been complete and utter shit. But I think it's more of a set up for whats to come.

Their 'season story arc' could have easily been a single episode....maybe 2.

This whole season has been transitional. It's had some great stuff but not nearly the impact and weight of any other season. It was bound to happen. They need to make some big changes to get ready to the finish so we get so we got.

The difference in the quality of the fight scenes between episodes 8 and 9 was very noticeable to me. Then again, episode 8 stood out to me in almost every way from the rest of the season. Great ep.

Go_Ly_Dow

The difference in the quality of the fight scenes between episodes 8 and 9 was very noticeable to me. Then again, episode 8 stood out to me in almost every way from the rest of the season. Great ep.

The end of episode 8 is a highlight for the entire show thus far, let alone the season.

So Roose/Ramsey vs. Stannis/Melisandre

I smell the defeat of Stannis. I have a feeling Melisandre is purposely misleading him. Oh perhaps even unknowingly. Maybe Stannis attacks, loses, then kills the Red Priestess himself.

I just don't see Stannis walking in, destroying the Boltens, taking over Winterfell, then releasing Sansa from all the misery that is Ramsey Snow. It's just not going to happen that easy. Not after all that's gone on with her. Of course there's a possibility that Ramsey flees with Sansa and Reek by force.

I think we've been set up to expect the obvious. Shireen being sacrificed to win a war. Chances of that playing out now looks very slim. I would have put more money on Stannis beating the odds without her sacrifice. Now...

I can see Stannis retreating back to Dragonstone a defeated, and destroyed man. He'll still play a part in the war to come against the WW but it'll likely be to provide resources from Dragonstone to defeat the WW.

Sober

What was wrong with the fighting in episode 9? The Unsullied getting merked or the actual pit fighting? Cause I thought the latter was pretty well done.

Raynes

I smell the defeat of Stannis. I have a feeling Melisandre is purposely misleading him. Oh perhaps even unknowingly. Maybe Stannis attacks, loses, then kill the Red Priestess himself.

I just don't see Stannis walking in, destroying the Boltens, taking over Winterfell, the releasing Sansa from all the misery that is Ramsey Snow. It's just not going to happen that easy. Not after all that's gone on with her. Of course there's a possibility that Ramsey flees with Sansa and Reek by force.

I think we've been set up to expect the obvious. Shireen being sacrificed to win a war. Chances of that playing out now looks very slim. I would have put more money on Stannis beating the odds without her sacrifice. Now...

I can see Stannis retreating back to Dragonstone a defeated, and destroyed man. He'll still play a part in the war to come against the WW but it'll likely to provide resources from Dragonstone to defeat the WW.

NONSENSE SHE WILL BEND THE KNEE!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Dorne's set pieces and costumes contrast so starkly with the rest of the show that it's incredibly jarring to me. Every time I watch Jaime and Bronn, who I've seen trudge through the cold hellish landscapes of the north, hanging out in this overly bright setting and interacting with these outrageously stupid characters, I can't help but feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Maybe that's the point, but every scene in Dorne has felt so out of place in the series that I just want them to finish up and move on already. You can almost see Jaime thinking to himself, "What the hell am I doing here?"

Jackpot

Banned

I smell the defeat of Stannis. I have a feeling Melisandre is purposely misleading him. Oh perhaps even unknowingly. Maybe Stannis attacks, loses, then kills the Red Priestess himself.

Stannis should get an overwhelming victory considering the sacrifice. GoT is weird about all prophecies being technically accurate so Mel should walk along the battlements of Winterfell even if it's as a prisoner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom