• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Dorne is going to be the Lannisters' new bank when the Tyrells pull out after all this shit.

Hahaha The Martells who HATE the Lannisters are going to be backing them in any way? Am I the only person that doesn't believe Prince Doran is serious about this so called alliance?

Curufinwe

That's definitely what it is. I think some shit's gonna happen when Dorne's heir arrives at king's landing to a shit storm. I'm really curious how this all plays out actually. Cersei is in a jail. Cersei has been arrested for the same shit Jamie did.

Cersei was arrested for having sex with her cousin and getting him to murder the King.

Curufinwe

Dorne's set pieces and costumes contrast so starkly with the rest of the show that it's incredibly jarring to me. Every time I watch Jaime and Bronn, who I've seen trudge through the cold hellish landscapes of the north, hanging out in this overly bright setting and interacting with these outrageously stupid characters, I can't help but feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Maybe that's the point, but every scene in Dorne has felt so out of place in the series that I just want them to finish up and move on already. You can almost see Jaime thinking to himself, "What the hell am I doing here?"

Doran and Ellaria aren't stupid at all.

Hahaha The Martells who HATE the Lannisters are going to be backing them in any way? Am I the only person that doesn't believe Prince Doran is serious about this so called alliance?

He did seem a little too nice about it. I'm sure he would love to see his son on the Iron Throne.

demolitio

Dorne's set pieces and costumes contrast so starkly with the rest of the show that it's incredibly jarring to me. Every time I watch Jaime and Bronn, who I've seen trudge through the cold hellish landscapes of the north, hanging out in this overly bright setting and interacting with these outrageously stupid characters, I can't help but feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Maybe that's the point, but every scene in Dorne has felt so out of place in the series that I just want them to finish up and move on already. You can almost see Jaime thinking to himself, "What the hell am I doing here?"

I think it's meant to be in stark contrast. Here we have this large territory that is being ruled by a king days away that has an entirely different culture. It's like colonialism where nations think they can rule a different culture forever when there's more differences than similarities.

Showing this bright, beautiful world with different clothing, etc. is showing how disconnected Dorne is from the happenings of Westeros and how they seem to be unaffected by all the bullshit the great families of Westeros cause and would only care if they decided to make their own moves.

I'm sure they'll have a big part in the future as I can't imagine this alliance lasting through thick and thin. They just don't care down there about the nonsense and probably have their own aspirations beyond what they're letting on. Dorne is widely viewed as independent it seems, so it pretty much is a different world from Westeros. I'm just curious if White Walkers care about them...lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think it's meant to be in stark contrast. Here we have this large territory that is being ruled by a king days away that has an entirely different culture. It's like colonialism where nations think they can rule a different culture forever when there's more differences than similarities.

Showing this bright, beautiful world with different clothing, etc. is showing how disconnected Dorne is from the happenings of Westeros and how they seem to be unaffected by all the bullshit the great families of Westeros cause and would only care if they decided to make their own moves.

I'm sure they'll have a big part in the future as I can't imagine this alliance lasting through thick and thin. They just don't care down there about the nonsense and probably have their own aspirations beyond what they're letting on.

Well, considering the Queen and King's mother are currently in jail and maybe sentenced to death by religious nuts, and the King is more and more known to be a product of incest... I doubt anything is going to happen at all with this alliance.

What was wrong with the fighting in episode 9? The Unsullied getting merked or the actual pit fighting? Cause I thought the latter was pretty well done.

Most of the fighting in episode 8 felt and looked visceral, exciting, and professionally choreographed, whereas the combat in episode 8 felt and looked much cheaper and poorly choreographed to me. I mean, just look at this shit:

bK0yDth.gif

Whoever's responsible for the awesomeness of episode 8's fight scenes needs to be used for all of the upcoming fight scenes.

Who is going with Trystane to King's Landing other than Myrcella?

I'm sure he's going to have some bodygaurds. I was thinking they would be the one to help Jaime free Cersei but then I thought what if they see how weak the lanisters are now? Jaime, Cersei, Tommen. That's all? I think it would hardly start a war to kill the three and try and take the throne for Dorne.

I'm sure he's going to have some bodygaurds. I was thinking they would be the one to help Jaime free Cersei but then I thought what if they see how weak the lanisters are now? Jaime, Cersei, Tommen. That's all? I think it would hardly start a war to kill the three and try and take the throne for Dorne.

I think they already know who the only remaining Lannisters are. But having seeing Cersei locked up and Tommen with his back against the wall will definitely sweeten the situation.

Even with guards though it seems weird, Trystane and Myrcella are meant to be what? 15-16? I see it as a risky move. Granted, I guess they probably don't know about the problems the faith has been causing.

I think they already know who the only remaining Lannisters are. But having seeing Cersei locked up and Tommen with his back against the wall will definitely sweeten the situation.

Even with guards though it seems weird, Trystane and Myrcella are meant to be what? 15-16? I see it as a risky move. Granted, I guess they probably don't know about the problems the faith has been causing.

Definitely a risky move but if there was ever a time to get back at them it would be now while they are at their weakest. After what they did to their sister and then Oberyn last season it would seem really odd if Prince Doran just chooses to help the three remaining Lannisters instead of getting revenge and the throne in one move.

mokeyjoe

Their 'season story arc' could have easily been a single episode....maybe 2.

This whole season has been transitional. It's had some great stuff but not nearly the impact and weight of any other season. It was bound to happen. They need to make some big changes to get ready to the finish so we get so we got.

Yeah, but part of the reason for Dorne is to get Jaime out of the way while shit goes down in Kings Landing.

Nameless

But Nameless, I fear what will happen to you if Meli ever bites the dust, lol.

Luckily I won't have to find out for a while assuming Melisandre survives long enough to encounter Arya again like she promised. Hopefully the character will continue to play a bigger role now that we seem to be moving into the 'Fire vs Ice' part of the story.

I still wonder why Melisandre seems to always need a sacrifice of Kings Blood to work her magic, when that dude who resurrects people apparently doesn't. If I remember, his sacrifice seemed relatively minor for such a major act. Meanwhile, you got burning corpses everywhere Just for Meli to be able to do anything.

Well Thoros kinda stumbled upon that ability. Beric had been killed and he said a prayer for his dead not knowing it would bring him back. Meli is shocked to hear about this as if it never occurred to her. But now that she knows it's possible I wouldn't be shocked to see her try if, say, Stannis dies.

Or maybe after Davos reports back how Olly shoved Jon off The Wall and shot him full of arrows before he hit the ground, Meli will go and bring him back, since, clearly Jon is important in her eyes.

As far as Blood Curses, the first we see is the one the village witch tricks Daeny with. A sacrifice is necessary as "Only death pays for life". The unborn baby Daeny unknowingly pays with did have King's Blood as well. Pretty interesting.

Definitely a risky move but if there was ever a time to get back at them it would be now while they are at their weakest. After what they did to their sister and then Oberyn last season it would seem really odd if Prince Doran just chooses to help the three remaining Lannisters instead of getting revenge and the throne in one move.

I don't see him as getting revenge, I think he'll help them, but not without cost. It should at least finally bring something interesting out of the Dorne story line.

Luckily I won't have to find out for a while assuming Melisandre survives long enough to encounter Arya again like she promised. Hopefully the character will continue to play a bigger role now that we seem to be moving into the 'Fire vs Ice' part of the story.

Agreed, but you never know with this show. Worst possible sacrifice and it could end up in a loss. That would be a really shitty twist.

cant stop laughing

LOL Classic Stannis.

TheContact

So Roose/Ramsey vs. Stannis/Melisandre

I smell the defeat of Stannis. I have a feeling Melisandre is purposely misleading him. Oh perhaps even unknowingly. Maybe Stannis attacks, loses, then kills the Red Priestess himself.

I just don't see Stannis walking in, destroying the Boltens, taking over Winterfell, then releasing Sansa from all the misery that is Ramsey Snow. It's just not going to happen that easy. Not after all that's gone on with her. Of course there's a possibility that Ramsey flees with Sansa and Reek by force.

I think we've been set up to expect the obvious. Shireen being sacrificed to win a war. Chances of that playing out now looks very slim. I would have put more money on Stannis beating the odds without her sacrifice. Now...

I can see Stannis retreating back to Dragonstone a defeated, and destroyed man. He'll still play a part in the war to come against the WW but it'll likely be to provide resources from Dragonstone to defeat the WW.

Stannis is going to destroy roose I think. If burning shireen works then something has to come from it. Plus the lord of the light is pretty legit

If stannis fails here I think he loses all hope and maybe kills mellisandre.

Killing shireen wasn't his idea. He rejected it at first but became desperate and it shows how badly he wants to be king he'd kill his own daughter to get it.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I don't see him as getting revenge, I think he'll help them, but not without cost. It should at least finally bring something interesting out of the Dorne story line.

Agreed, but you never know with this show. Worst possible sacrifice and it could end up in a loss. That would be a really shitty twist.

LOL Classic Stannis.

Doran pretty much told Ellara to kiss his ring and step in line, or die. I really don't see him as someone to break bread with the people responsible for the deaths of his siblings, niece, and nephew. We've been told that even with his dragons, Aegon never could conquer Dorne. Now I'm supposed to believe they're suddenly all about that Seven Kingdoms bullshit? If Dragons couldn't bring them into the fold, I seriously doubt any army in Westeros could force Dorne to be subservient to the Iron Throne.

Most of the fighting in episode 8 felt and looked visceral, exciting, and professionally choreographed, whereas the combat in episode 8 felt and looked much cheaper and poorly choreographed to me. I mean, just look at this shit:

bK0yDth.gif

Whoever's responsible for the awesomeness of episode 8's fight scenes needs to be used for all of the upcoming fight scenes.

There is an issue.

That person who was used for Episode 8 is in Greenland during shoot.

It's hard to transport him to Spain for Dorme scenes XD.

Stannis is going to destroy roose I think. If burning shireen works then something has to come from it. Plus the lord of the light is pretty legit

If stannis fails here I think he loses all hope and maybe kills mellisandre.

Killing shireen wasn't his idea. He rejected it at first but became desperate and it shows how badly he wants to be king he'd kill his own daughter to get it.

Lord of the light is same god the resurreaction flame sword wielding man in cave worshipped with the "men with no banners" or something like that? Legit enough to resurreact dead man, I think the god is going to be legit enough to give something for crispy daughter.

Would love to see more of the guys whose leader had that flame sword. They should join Stannis! :)

Chichikov

The distinction has been observed for over two hundred years. Also, everything in every language was "pulled our of people's ass" at one point or another. In this case, having a distinction helps remove ambiguity from phrases like "less promising results". Is there less promise in each of the results, or fewer results with promise?
There was never a point in time since the invention of the word "less" (which predates the idea of grammar rules) when people didn't use "less" for countables.
Unlike "fewer", which is almost never used for uncoutnables and therefore sounds weird to native speakers.

Some people prefer to use fewer than less, there's nothing wrong with that, and in some cases there's a good reason to do so (like the example you gave), but all the cases Stannis bitched about are pure pedantry, though one must admit, not as much pedantry as me bitching about linguistics in a Game of Thrones thread :p.

Read more:
https://motivatedgrammar.wordpress.com/2008/09/30/10-items-or-less-is-just-fine/

Five

Banned
There was never a point in time since the invention of the word "less" (which predates the idea of grammar rules) when people didn't use "less" for countables.
Unlike "fewer", which is almost never used for uncoutnables and therefore sounds weird to native speakers.

Some people prefer to use fewer than less, there's nothing wrong with that, and in some cases there's a good reason to do so (like the example you gave), but all the cases Stannis bitched about are pure pedantry, though one must admit, not as much pedantry as me bitching about linguistics in a Game of Thrones thread :p.

Read more:
https://motivatedgrammar.wordpress.com/2008/09/30/10-items-or-less-is-just-fine/

I know the history. What I was trying to address in my previous post is that a distinction was introduced in part to mirror much/many as you've said and also to to avoid ambiguity in certain instances. Languages change, and I think using fewer for countable nouns is a helpful change.

Doran pretty much told Ellara to kiss his ring and step in line, or die. I really don't see him as someone to break bread with the people responsible for the deaths of his siblings, niece, and nephew. We've been told that even with his dragons, Aegon never could conquer Dorne. Now I'm supposed to believe they're suddenly all about that Seven Kingdoms bullshit? If Dragons couldn't bring them into the fold, I seriously doubt any army in Westeros could force Dorne to be subservient to the Iron Throne.

Well, I'm not suggesting that he's going to break bread with them, or at least not in the way you think. I just think that he will do what he can to put himself into a position of power without resorting to war or even violence, at least in the beginning.

Think of the Tyrell family, a rose's beauty often hides the fact that it has thorns. Other than having Joffrey killed, which was for the good of the realm they are sneaking their way into a position of power.

Qvoth

finally watched the episode, FUCK YOU STANNIS I BELIEVED IN YOU
FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Brojito

Neo Member

bK0yDth.gif

Don't talk shit about the tactical combat roll, I've seen Geralt of Rivia do it all the time. It's a legit move.
LOL at how the dude lifts his arms up and just sorta staggers into Jorah's sword

Nameless said:
Well Thoros kinda stumbled upon that ability. Beric had been killed and he said a prayer for his dead not knowing it would bring him back. Meli is shocked to hear about this as if it never occurred to her. But now that she knows it's possible I wouldn't be shocked to see her try if, say, Stannis dies.

Or maybe after Davos reports back how Olly shoved Jon off The Wall and shot him full of arrows before he hit the ground, Meli will go and bring him back, since, clearly Jon is important in her eyes.

As far as Blood Curses, the first we see is the one the village witch tricks Daeny with. A sacrifice is necessary as "Only death pays for life". The unborn baby Daeny unknowingly pays with did have King's Blood as well. Pretty interesting.

Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but I don't understand the "rules" of Melisandre's blood magic.

First use- Stannis fucks Melisandre and she births demon baby
Second use- Melisandre uses leeches on Gendry and then burns the leeches containing the blood

But suddenly this time, with Shireen, she has to kill her. Specifically burn her alive. Why? I know even Stannis asks why she can't just use leeches, but I don't remember her giving any kind of real answer. It just doesn't make any sense that she needs to burn Shireen alive to save Stannis from bad weather but she can kill off 3 wannabe kings with a couple drops of blood from Gendry.

aravuus

Uhh, at least we got one of the hottest partial nudity scenes in the show out of Dorne, I guess. Otherwise it has been really boring, yeah.

Griss

I guess enough time has passed since the Shireen scene to reflect on it. And my reaction is interesting. I'm not sure if there's a point at which the violence in the show becomes 'too much', but it looks like that might have been it for me. I barely remember the rest of that episode, and I have no desire to watch the next one. Or next season, really. In a very calm way, I really feel like I might be done with this. Not angry, just feel like my interest in the story is killed. Which is a shame after 5 years. It wouldn't be the first time I gave up on this series for good, and the last one stuck, which is why I'm in this thread rather than the other one. Maybe this one will stick too. I guess we'll see.

Still just super disappointed to invest all that time just to get something like that scene... can't get over it.

It's not the only reason, though. The show has clearly lost it's way. Dany and her story are both so weak (I'm sorry but Clarke is just appalling), and her story will only become more and more essential as time goes on. Dorne was an utter farce this year, and Arya's story, while watchable, is irrelevant. Even King's Landing is beginning to feel irrelevant, having seen the White Walkers. That leaves the North, where the show has still been on fire all season. But I genuinely believe that Jon will get killed soon (by Olly, show isn't even pretending to be subtle anymore), the Walkers will overrun the wall early next season and that part of the story will end. Because of fucking course it will, we're enjoying it.

I suppose it was a good run, can't complain too much.

Sober

bK0yDth.gif

There were a few goofy and self-indulgent moves in the pits but I think for the most part I think it was going for verisimilitude over flash. Which is tonally odd, but still.

I mean yeah it's not as awesome watching Jorah grapple his opponents while out of each other's weapons reach but that was assuredly how people actually fought back then, not like the stuff you see in ep 8 where you just have Jon Snow and friends carve through a dozen dudes like an action movie (which I liked btw, especially when he faces off with the WW).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

bK0yDth.gif

Does anyone have a gif of when John Snow is walking through the snow and he sees a walker and then he spins and slices it in half? Loved that part.

I guess enough time has passed since the Shireen scene to reflect on it. And my reaction is interesting. I'm not sure if there's a point at which the violence in the show becomes 'too much', but it looks like that might have been it for me. I barely remember the rest of that episode, and I have no desire to watch the next one. Or next season, really. In a very calm way, I really feel like I might be done with this. Not angry, just feel like my interest in the story is killed. Which is a shame after 5 years. It wouldn't be the first time I gave up on this series for good, and the last one stuck, which is why I'm in this thread rather than the other one. Maybe this one will stick too. I guess we'll see.

Still just super disappointed to invest all that time just to get something like that scene... can't get over it.

It's not the only reason, though. The show has clearly lost it's way. Dany and her story are both so weak (I'm sorry but Clarke is just appalling), and her story will only become more and more essential as time goes on. Dorne was an utter farce this year, and Arya's story, while watchable, is irrelevant. Even King's Landing is beginning to feel irrelevant, having seen the White Walkers. That leaves the North, where the show has still been on fire all season. But I genuinely believe that Jon will get killed soon (by Olly, show isn't even pretending to be subtle anymore), the Walkers will overrun the wall early next season and that part of the story will end. Because of fucking course it will, we're enjoying it.

See you next week buddy.

rambis

Banned
While the shireen scene was certainly uncomfortable and disorienting, its really not that much worse than what the show has done over the years. I understand the sentiments of "enough is enough" but alot of the "bad writing or gimmick" comments feel unjustified.

They've been trying to torch someone with the kings blood since the blackwater. Gendry is obviously out of the picture. So who next? All the targs are gone. And by law the Baratheons hold the crown. If he wasn't having a son anytime soon, then obviously I think you look to the daughter.

Idk, it made sense to me. Stannis has taken numerous losses and was reaching a breaking point in the harsh winter. I wanted him to return to castle black, cause honestly Jon looks to be in trouble but I don't call a story bad just because it didnt play out the way I wanted.

BunnyBear

For fuck's sake, it's a fantastical television series. Some people are taking it way too seriously and you are one of them with posts like that.

I also disagree with Arya's storyline being irrelevant, it's clearly building to something.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The show has long given certain characters climaxes and certain characters "builders" each season. Mainly from the second season on; I can see the argument that the first was trying to do climaxes with everybody. But even then, I'm not sure I'd agree with that sentiment, if only for the number of characters who were "just there" and then blossomed starting the following year.

Arya's fifth season is a builder. She's had more climactic seasons in the past.

UrbanRats

bK0yDth.gif

Erm, Jorah was still totally within his i-frames, which is why the spear dude didn't even bother to attack.
Unfortunately, he wasn't expecting an attack out of that roll, which was indeed a rookie mistake, should've side stepped, and get a free backstab.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can deal with Jorah roll. I mean, it's silly and looks goofy, but whatever. Much like mixed CGI quality stuff like this is a vessel for narrative and unless it's really obnoxiously terrible both in choreography and narrative purpose then I don't mind.

Sand Snakes vs Jamie/Bronne was a total clusterfuck of failure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom