• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Very excited for the finale after the last 3 stellar episodes. I can't wait to see trash bag Stannis get what's coming to him. Also am really hoping Sansa drives that corkscrew she picked up into Ramsay's throat.

Ugh SO nervous about Cersei though. I have this dreadful feeling the Queen Regent's gonna die in the season finale :( I might quit the show if Cersei dies.

If you believe the witch that gave her fortune when she was a girl, then Cersei outlives her kids. Unless there's a huge bloodbath, I think she'll be around for a while.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Completely off topic but something I've always found odd.

In the world of GoT, there's only a very small amount of people who believe in magic. Everyone else thinks they're just old legends or whatever.

Why then did no one find it weird that Thoros was able to engulf his sword using his blood? Jamie and others have talked about seeing his flaming sword but they never said something along the lines, "HOLY SHIT, THE LORD OF LIGHT IS REAL AND THERE'S MAGIC AND SHIT".

Volimar

Completely off topic but something I've always found odd.

In the world of GoT, there's only a very small amount of people who believe in magic. Everyone else thinks they're just old legends or whatever.

Why then did no one find it weird that Thoros was able to engulf his sword using his blood? Jamie and others have talked about seeing his flaming sword but they never said something along the lines, "HOLY SHIT, THE LORD OF LIGHT IS REAL AND THERE'S MAGIC AND SHIT".

They probably think most of it is some sort of trickery.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
If you believe the witch that gave her fortune when she was a girl, then Cersei outlives her kids. Unless there's a huge bloodbath, I think she'll be around for a while.

Oh that's right! Wasn't that the very 1st scene of Season 5? They made it seem really important so it can't just be some throwaway prophecy.

I mean....poor her kids but if it means Cersei sticks around a bit longer...

kmax

9510358.gif

We're fucked, aren't we? This is GoT after all.

The suspense is killing me.

I have a feeling Pod might somehow get killed in all the commotion next episode. His conversation with Brienne about wanting to be a knight and Brienne saying she'll teach him how to fight brought up warning flags, if the Boltons, Stannis and Brienne all survive somehow I can see Pod being a casualty of the fight.

Volimar

9510358.gif

We're fucked, aren't we? This is GoT after all.

The suspense is killing me.

I just keep thinking that there has to be a pay off for all our torturous scenes. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.

I have a feeling Pod might somehow get killed in all the commotion next episode. His conversation with Brienne about wanting to be a knight and Brienne saying she'll teach him how to fight brought up warning flags, if the Boltons, Stannis and Brienne all survive somehow I can see Pod being a casualty of the fight.

Nah, he ends up with Sansa. After all the shit she's had to put up with, she deserves some god tier sex.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Seriously though, Dany needs to let her two other dragons out of their chains already. I feel bad for them locked up in the dark :*

I really can't wait for Westeros' rightful Queen to arrive with her new sidekick Tyrion. Hopefully in Season 6. Danaerys can then have Drogon do to Stannis and Melisandre, what Stannis and Melisandre did to Shireen :)

turtle553

if Jon gets omar'd by this bitch ill be mad and im not even a huge jon snow fan up until this year

More likely Olly does something against the wildlings after Jon orders the Night's Watch to let them be. Jon has to take his head just like Jonas Slint.

Is Olly even a sworn member of the Night's Watch yet?

Nameless

Jon giving away weapons and Winter stores to the One True King might really start the shitstorm at The Wall. And you know he will after Stannis did him a solid by lending him his fleet.

Watching that last episode with my dad, it annoyed him more than anything that Drogon had a Big Damn Heroes moment. Never mind how Dany easily could've died beforehand--the timing of Drogon arriving in the arena pretty much spoiled it for him. I thought that, maybe, he would've heard the hubbub and flew down to see what was up. Since he was already roaming the area freely, it's possible.

What I'm wondering now is why Drogon was so down to be petted by Dany and ridden when he's, as it appears to me, the most feral. Didn't snap or anything. If Drogon is cool with it, definitely the other two (Visceron? Aegon? I can't remember) should be released the next time we see Dany. Whether or not she gets much coverage in the finale, though, will probably decide that. On the plus side, Jorah and Tyrion both survived, so I'm good there. c:

Also totally forgot about that Cersei prophecy. I wanna know who the other girl was, but eh...Can't say I feel very sympathetic for her just yet.

I hope Jamie comes back just in time to see Cersei get beheaded or whatever her fate is for her crimes.

I hope Jon catches Olly up to some shit and beheads his ass for treason.

I hope Dany finds the leader of the Harpies and beheads his ass via dragon bite.

I hope Stannis breaks through Winterfell and beheads the Boltons via flaming sword.

I hope Brienne finds Stannis and beheads him with Oathbreaker.

If all of this happens, then we're talking about the greatest season finale of all time.

Seven hells, YES

sangreal

(5x10 preview)

we are definitely getting more Meereen next week, so they do have to squeeze that in too. Wouldn't make sense to drag the harpies out for another season anyway

we also see Stannis begin his siege of winterfell, which means if they are going to wrap up that story, they'll have to conclude Davos' trip to the wall (and presumably back), the start, and end of the siege all in one episode

Just Want To Say...

I love the fact that there's a place where I can discuss the show, without fear of it being spoiled for me.

That being said. Wow. This thread is depressing all to heck. I love this show. But there's far too many people doing far too much bitching about it. If you don't like it, that's really too bad. But why does it seem like people are trying so hard to ruin it for those who enjoy the show?

Maybe there should be two non spoiler threads. One for those who enjoy the show and are going to continue watching. And one for those who no hate the show and want to pick absolutely every little detail apart.

Just a thought.

I doubt we're going to see the whole siege of Winterfell tbh, we'll probably be left with a bunch of cliffhangers. There's just too much to properly conclude in an hour.

enigmatic_alex44

Just Want To Say...

I love the fact that there's a place where I can discuss the show, without fear of it being spoiled for me.

That being said. Wow. This thread is depressing all to heck. I love this show. But there's far too many people doing far too much bitching about it. If you don't like it, that's really too bad. But why does it seem like people are trying so hard to ruin it for those who enjoy the show?

Maybe there should be two non spoiler threads. One for those who enjoy the show and are going to continue watching. And one for those who no hate the show and want to pick absolutely every little detail apart.

Just a thought.

Like really, this is by far the best show airing on TV at present. I really don't understood where all the hatred for Season 5 came from. Yes, it took a bit longer to get going than a few previous seasons, with more slow build up, but the build up paid off, as everything from the end of episode 7 up until end of episode 9 has been so worth it (with this particular stretch being one of the most emotionally shattering for me). Season 5 is just as good as previous GoT seasons.

Honestly, this may be the most excited and simultaneously nervous I've been for a GoT finale yet, and that's saying something for this show!

iNvid02

i love this show but season 5 has hit some low points (im looking at you sandsnakes..). Some of the fight choreography has been funny to witness as well. And the unsullied constantly getting bumrushed by the sons of the harpy annoys me as well.

But the last 2 episodes have been great, if the finale delivers the season will be alright.

RDreamer

I still love the show, too, but I think that Season 5 is definitely the low point for the entire series. The back half is making up for things a bit but the first half or so was probably the longest chunk of not quite as good stuff.

I seem to like the show just a tiny bit less each season. Season 1 is hands down my favorite. Season 2 and 3 are pretty close and I'm not sure which I'd pick to be better. Season 4 is a little bit worse. Now season 5 is a bit more of a step down.

while excellent they just could not redeem the pointless sand snake arc or that terrible fight scene

I think the problem is that people expectations are so high now for this show, that when things don't live up to the highs that have happened, people feel let down. I'm not expecting every story to hit the mark every episode. I haven't yet watch an episode that didn't have at least one good advancement in story. There doesn't have to be a pay off for me. Just a build up of anticipation of what's going to happen next.

I think when you put things into perspective, and accept that not every story is going to be mind blowing, you'll find yourself less disappointed. Sure the stuff in Dorne hasn't been the greatest. I'm still interested in where things go from here though.

Book 4 and 5 have the reputation of being the weakest of the series. There's been many fans of the books, just as disappointed in how those played out. But there's an end to this story that nobody but a few know, and I'll be right there to see it play out on screen. And when it's all done, I'll get back to the books and get all the details and back story the show never had a chance to give us.

enigmatic_alex44

How would you guys rank seasons so far?

For me at the moment: 4 > 3 > 5 = 1 >>> 2

Depending on how the finale goes, 5 could move up a spot. Unless seasons 6 and 7 suddenly tank in quality though, 2 will always be my least favorite season. I found it much slower than 5 with no real big events other than Blackwater and even then it's the least impressive spectacle of all the big events so far imo. Also "Where are my dragons???" Ugh.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
4 > 1 = 3 > 2 > 5 or 5 > 2.

Last part depends on the finale, but I think I'm leaning 2 > 5 very slightly right now. Still totally worth watching either way.

RDreamer

I'd probably say:

1 >>> 2 = 3 > 4 >>> 5

Season 1 was so fucking good. Sean Bean was great, and the guy playing Robert Baratheon was so top notch. Their interactions were all so good. Loved everything about it.

Brojito

Neo Member
While Theon watches

I feel bad for laughing at this.

DeathByBacklog said:
Book 4 and 5 have the reputation of being the weakest of the series. There's been many fans of the books, just as disappointed in how those played out. But there's an end to this story that nobody but a few know, and I'll be right there to see it play out on screen. And when it's all done, I'll get back to the books and get all the details and back story the show never had a chance to give us.

Yea, I think one of the biggest problems with this season is just plainly the source material. I've heard from many book readers that books 4 and 5 are just a bit of a drag, and cover a lot of secondary material and secondary plots. The season comes off a bit like the showrunners are having a difficult time trying to turn all that into a coherent season - no wonder they've had to deviate so much at this point, it's probably the only choice they had.

But they've done such a fantastic job translating the books so far, so I'm not particularly put out by the fact that this season is a bit weaker than others. It's still Game of Thrones, and there is quite literally nothing else like it on TV. Even at it's worst I would say this show surpasses just about everything else.

Plus, we got Hardhome out of this season. Probably going to go down as one of the best episodes in the entire show when it's all finally over. Peter Dinklage is always fantastic no matter what, and as boring as the Dorne stuff as been at times, I'll take more Bronn any way I can get it. His and Jaime's little buddy-cop road trip made up for some of the pointless scenes.

EDIT: We're ranking now.

4 > 2=3 > 1 > 5

Again, not because I hate seasons 1 or 5 so far, but they've just been slow and a lot of set up. Season 4 had so many great moments (Joffrey bites the dust, Mountain vs. Oberyn, battle at the Wall, Tywin vs. Tyrion, etc.) and season 2 had some of my favorite interactions in the show (Arya with Tywin was brilliant, and so was Tyrion running Kings Landing with Bronn). And then season 3, because that's where you finally realized that this show really wasn't playing games.

KorrZ

4 > 3 > 1

I can't decide yet if it'll be 2 > 5 or 5 > 2 until I see the finale.

Season 4 is just way too good, so much pay off for so many things that had been building for the entire series.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I hope Jamie comes back just in time to see Cersei get beheaded or whatever her fate is for her crimes.

I hope Jon catches Olly up to some shit and beheads his ass for treason.

I hope Dany finds the leader of the Harpies and beheads his ass via dragon bite.

I hope Stannis breaks through Winterfell and beheads the Boltons via flaming sword.

I hope Brienne finds Stannis and beheads him with Oathbreaker.

If all of this happens, then we're talking about the greatest season finale of all time.

This interests me

Season 4 is just way too good, so much pay off for so many things that had been building for the entire series.

This single, simple sentence is what people need to remember when they complain that shit ain't happening this season.

Someone brought up rating seasons a few weeks ago and I couldn't do it then, and I can't do it now. It's too hard for me to rate them as I think they're all excellent.

enigmatic_alex44

I think part of what made season 4 so great and stand out is that it broke the traditional GoT formula with episode 9 always being the "big one". With Joffrey's death in episode 2 (while characters were still reeling from the Red Wedding events), I knew season 4 would end up being a wild ride. Then episode 8 delivered another devastating blow with Oberyn vs. The Mountain. Then episode 10 wasn't a wind down like usual, but instead had Tyrion take out his tyrant father with a crossbow.

Great stuff.

bill0527

Just Want To Say...

Just a thought.

Is this your first TV thread at neoGAF?

I think part of what made season 4 so great and stand out is that it broke the traditional GoT formula with episode 9 always being the "big one". With Joffrey's death in episode 2 (while characters were still reeling from the Red Wedding events), I knew season 4 would end up being a wild ride. Then episode 8 delivered another devastating blow with Oberyn vs. The Mountain. Then episode 10 wasn't a wind down like usual, but instead had Tyrion take out his tyrant father with a crossbow.

Great stuff.

A huge moment that hardly gets a mention is how so many previous events happened because of Littlefinger. That was such a major twist that no one expected. Nearly set every big event in motion because of that man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiEyIiClWYA

Brashnir

Just Want To Say...

On the bright side, the show is basically caught up with the books, so that worry is gone.

That said, I hope this thread continues in the future, because the book reader thread is the worst cesspool on GAF. If you think this one is negative, I dare you to read that one after the series is done.

For me,

4 > 5 > 1 > 3 > 2

I used to rank 5 lower, but I did a rewatch of it, and it held up much better during it.

Hardhome and The Dance of Dragons are two of the top 6 episodes or so imo.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I tend to think the story is going to have a "happy" ending, with air quotes indicating a very bittersweet one. GoT has shown that yes, sometimes bad people get what is coming to them and get it big time. It just usually comes at a cost and without a victory fanfare. (Jamie's true role in saving King's Landing from the mad king being a prime example. His reward is a place in the history books as an honorless scumbag.)

I totally wouldn't be surprised if Jon makes it to the end and in some way saves the day. But it will come at a major cost of some kind and he live won't live happily ever after.

Inglip

Neo Member
4 = 1 > 3 > 5 > 2 for me.

I wonder why is season 1 rated so low here, Dany was the shit back there, Sean Bean and Roberts´ actor absolutelly nailed it, Tyrion tamed savages, dozens od schemes all around, great cliffhangers. And so much happened in short time!

This season is not great, partially because it loses its wits (too many hints, not enough subtle schemes, "coincidences", faulty logic) and partially because last season set the bar so high. Also, great characters like Tywin, Oberyn or Hound are not around anymore and have not been really replaced in terms of quality.

But it still rocks!

Just rewatch season 2 if you need comparison. You know, the season with generic muddy nothings-happenin scenes, Jon walking around pointlessly and Dany in Quarth.

And don´t forget that 50 minutes of GoT costs SAME amount of money as 20 minutes of Friends or 6 minutes of Hobbit. It´s unbelievably effective with its´ budget.

Nameless

Can't believe this Season 2 slander I'm seeing...

-Rise of King Stannis
-Introduction to the Lord of Light
-Arya on the road with Yoren, Gendry, and Hotpie
-Gold Cloaks against Yoren, Arya loses Needle
-Prisoners in Harenhal
-Arya & Tywin was incredible
-Renly,Brinne, Margaery, Littlefinger , Catelyn , Stannis & Melisandre all maneuvering in the Stormlands at the sand time
-Shadow Baby!!
-Craster's Keep
-Tywin's breakout season. Tons of war councils, strategy, and politics
-Joffrey level 100
-This is the season Tyrion was Hand, people
-Tyrion vs Joffrey
-Tyrion vs Littlefinger
-Tyrion vs Pycelle
-Tyrion vs Varys turning into Tyrion + Varys
-Varys vs. Littlefinger
-Cersei and Tyrion getting hammered and
delivering some of the best scenes in the show
-Cersei's harshness towards Sansa turning into a weird mentorship over the course of the season
-Bronn's break out season
-The King in the North!
-Caged Jaime is the best Jaime
-Theon in the Iron Islands reuniting with Balon and Yarra
-Theon assuming command of the Sea Bitch and taking Winterfell with 20 men.
-Theon's speech
-Introduction to The Twins and House Frey
-Daeny vs The Spice King
-The Richest Man in Qarth
-Some of the best Jorah and Daeny scenes
-The Battle of fucking Blackwater
-"Fuck the King"
-Cersei on the Throne with Tommen(it has even more weight to it after the prophecy we saw this season)
-Cowardly sneak attack by The Tyrells and Tywin
-#standandfight
-Fist of the first men & White Walkers

2>4>1>3 Can't judge 5 till it's done.

Sure I'm missing things, but the point is S2 is remarkable, and arguably the most important season given its sheer density. The War of Five Kings in full swing, it's absolutely bursting with lore, politics, and some of the best performances we've seen. The pacing is frenetic, most episodes jump around ALOT. Some ding the season for this, but the pace meshes well with the chaotic climate in Westeros. Seriously, if you haven't watched S2 in a while give it at least a partial rewatch.

Blackwater and The North Remembers are in my top 5. Garden of Bones, Prince of Winterfell, A Man Without Honor, and What is Dead May Never Die are great too.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I largely agree with that list, but pound-for-pound, I was still a bit less enthusiastic about most episodes than I've been with 1/3/4. Either on-par or a bit above 5 in that regard. There were a couple of episodes in there that just didn't do much for me and early on in the year a troubling amount of things I thought overly goofy. (Spying on the spy who spies on the brothel sex; literally a horse fart scene; Theon and the sailor girl; couple other bits.) Add in some of the worst pacing issues as the show had to learn how to split things considerably more than S1 and didn't do the best job, and it can be problematic.

That just speaks volumes for how much I love the show, I guess, that Seasons 2 and 5 are still strong 8/10 contenders overall.

cormack12

Gold Member
To keep up my spectacular wrong predictions so far, I think we'll end episode 10 as follows:

> Stannis starts siege of Winterfell and pushes through. Either during or the night before, Sansa injures Ramsey non-fatally and escapes. Reek will help her in some way. She will be picked up outside by Brienne and be grateful for her help. She will demand to be taken to the wall where her brother is.....
> ....who will be dead. I honestly can't see Jon living. He's become Lord Commander, he's brought down the wildlings from the North. He has no army or interest in the Throne. I think Bran and Dany will be more instrumental in the war of the whitewalkers as well - we're all desperate to know if Mel knows more about his lineage than us, but if it's not true/critical to the plot then there's no point knowing;
> I think the episode will end with a show of strength from Melisandre as well. I think for some reason, we'll see some massive explosive power/fire that will decimate the Boltons forces. Mel is now legit;
> Arya will kill Meryn Trant, but it won't be clean. She will use Needle. Jaqen will be pissed;
> Dany will have a scene re-uniting her dragons. She will return to Meereen and make some sort of speech with an intention of going to Westeros next season;
> The episode is called
'Mother's Mercy'
, so that means someone confesses. Maybe all of them? I think High Sparrow hinted at creative punishment style judgement for this. I can't see the Tyrell's confessing as it would be both of them which leaves Cersei - Jamie will arrive back in time to see the punishment, whatever it is. It will affect Tommen in some way;
> Littlefinger will have a brief scene, I'm not sure why though;
> I know Bran's not in this season, but maybe a cut to him still in that weird place where something of significance is shown, maybe after Drogon flies or something?

That should pad the episode out nicely. I expect a big death and a lot of loose ends still.

TheContact

Jon and Bran can't die IMO. They have plot armor now. Otherwise the story wouldn't make any sense anymore.

I know GoT plot armor is as thick as butter but I can't see Jon dying. I truly believe he is the "ice" and dany is the "fire" but grmm is a crazy person so you never know I guess. Maybe the white walkers are the "ice" and the dragons are the "fire"

Bran might die but only after he wargs a dragon

In regards to Cercei, I think frankenmountain will save her somehow. Otherwise I don't understand the scene when pycell reinforced that his work was almost done, though I would really like this to be the end of her

takriel

I know GoT plot armor is as thick as butter but I can't see Jon dying. I truly believe he is the "ice" and dany is the "fire" but grmm is a crazy person so you never know I guess. Maybe the white walkers are the "ice" and the dragons are the "fire"

Bran might die but only after he wargs a dragon

In regards to Cercei, I think frankenmountain will save her somehow. Otherwise I don't understand the scene when pycell reinforced that his work was almost done, though I would really like this to be the end of her

Bran might as well be the Ice. Jon could die. I sure as hell hope not.

And if he must die, at least have the decency to spare him a silly death. It would be too obvious if that little boy somehow killed him. Let him fight heroically. But yeah, Jon is kind of set up to die here.

Ushay

I have a bad feeling about Jon, that grumpy bastard Ser whats his name, has a sinister look in his eyes. Jon has made a tough call, but it's definitely the right call the problem is he's surrounded by morons (rapists and murderers).

I think Dany will be gone for a while now that she has taken off. Drogon could literally go anywhere in a short amount of time.

Cersei will get her due hopefully. But I can see her exacting revenge next season.

And of course, Stannis aka Father of the Year will lay siege to Winterfell, Boltons will be crushed only to have Littlefinger swoop in at the last minute. Melissandre will work her mojo and push his forces back perhaps?

Arya will attempt an assassination on Meryn Pedotrant and probably epically fail.

The best thing about this next episode will be this terrible season finally ending.

Just hope it ends with some interesting cliffhangers or where it clearly shows what direction the rest of the story will go.

Alliser isn't going to try anything. He did let them through the gates, and Jon gave him a pretty high position when he could have just shipped him off. He's an asshole but I haven't seen him actually betray someone.

I'm more worried about Olly and what might happen to Jon or possibly Sam or Gilly if they get caught up in the crossfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom