• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
The best thing about this next episode will be this terrible season finally ending.

Just hope it ends with some interesting cliffhangers or where it clearly shows what direction the rest of the story will go.

Indeed. I don't know if the show can recover from this season. I've lost faith in its direction.

Sande

How the hell are they gonna wrap up King's Landing, Winterfell, and Meereen storylines this season in a reasonable fashion?

Especially if King's Landing or Winterfell are just left like they are, this season sure had even worse pacing than I could have imagined. You just don't set something up in the first few episodes and then do fuck all for the rest of the season.

How the hell are they gonna wrap up King's Landing, Winterfell, and Meereen storylines this season in a reasonable fashion?

Especially if King's Landing or Winterfell are just left like they are, this season sure had even worse pacing than I could have imagined. You just don't set something up in the first few episodes and then do fuck all for the rest of the season.

But that all too important dorne story. duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Nameless

Why do I keep saying this? This isn't the series finale. Are we really acting like plotlines haven't spanned multiple seasons since the beginning of the show?

Also explain what they set up and ignored? The main stories couldn't be further from where they began.

Sande

Why do I keep saying this? This isn't the series finale. Are we really acting like plotlines haven't spanned multiple seasons since the beginning of the show?

Also explain what they set up and ignored? The main stories couldn't be further from where they began.
Siege of Winterfell not happening this season would be the equivalent of them pushing the Battle of Blackwater to season 3. King's Landing situation not resolving would be the same as pushing Tyrion's trial to season 5.

The problem is, outside of Jon's storyline, the rest have set something up, but nothing has really come of it. I don't think it's good television to just save all that stuff for next season. The biggest problem of it all is the pacing. They paced everything so that people expect to see the outcome. Take King's Landing for example. Basically everything happened by episode 7. Of course we expect to see where that goes, but then the whole storyline is almost completely ignored for 2 episodes. If the season is going to end with Cersei, Margaery and Loras still locked up, they should have done all that in episodes 9-10. You know, paced it for next season, not this one.

Nameless

Siege of Winterfell not happening this season would be the equivalent of them pushing the Battle of Blackwater to season 3. King's Landing situation not resolving would be the same as pushing Tyrion's trial to season 5.

The problem is, outside of Jon's storyline, the rest have set something up, but nothing has really come of it. I don't think it's good television to just save all that stuff for next season. The biggest problem of it all is the pacing. They paced everything so that people expect to see the outcome. Take King's Landing for example. Basically everything happened by episode 7. Of course we expect to see where that goes, but then the whole storyline is almost completely ignored for 2 episodes. If the season is going to end with Cersei, Margaery and Loras still locked up, they should have done all that in episodes 9-10. You know, paced it for next season, not this one.

I guess I don't see spending an episode or two away from a story as ignoring it. I'd wager we will see at least a battle for Winterfell. Meereen isn't resolved until Daeny ends her occupation, which was never going to happen this season -- but plenty of things did. We got a pretty important King's Landing scene in the 8th episode and they focused on other things in episode 9. The 9th episode last season also stepped away from King's Landing, and after Oberyn's death no less. Tyrion was locked up for how many episodes? How long did it take Arya and The Hound to get The Vale? How long did Brienne and pod roam around looking for a Stark girl? How long did it take Stannis to get to The Wall? This is how the show has always flowed, more or less.

There's no ongoing storyline that couldn't come to a reasonable stopping point, if not be resolved out right in an episode:

I guess I don't see spending an episode or two away from a story as ignoring it. I'd wager we will see at least a battle for Winterfell. Meereen isn't resolved until Daeny ends her occupation, which was never going to happen this season -- but plenty of things did. We got a pretty important King's Landing scene in the 8th episode and they focused on other things in episode 9. The 9th episode last season also stepped away from King's Landing, and after Oberyn's death no less. Tyrion was locked up for how many episodes? How long did it take Arya and The Hound to get The Vale? How long did Brienne and pod roam around looking for a Stark girl? How long did it take Stannis to get to The Wall? This is how the show has always flowed, more or less.

There's no ongoing storyline that couldn't come to a reasonable stopping point, if not be resolved out right in an episode:

But Obyerin's death was the high point, what if they saved that fight for the start of this season instead and Tyrion was still locked up? Arya and The hound took a season to get there, but by the end she was on a new adventure to Bravvos, remember that at the end of the previous season they were going to Cat and Rob. Stannis got to the wall at the end of last season.

Yes, all these things took time, but they were set in motion at the start of the season and came to pass before that season ended.

Sure loads of stuff overlap for seasons even, just pointing out that your examples are bad ones, lol.

But Obyerin's death was the high point, what if they saved that fight for the start of this season instead and Tyrion was still locked up? Arya and The hound took a season to get there, but by the end she was on a new adventure to Bravvos, remember that at the end of the previous season they were going to Cat and Rob. Stannis got to the wall at the end of last season.

Yes, all these things took time, but they were set in motion at the start of the season and came to pass before that season ended.

Sure loads of stuff overlap for seasons even, just pointing out that your examples are bad ones, lol.
Arya and Hound was padding to its full effect. It could have easily been 4-5 episodes, it didn't need to be more than half a season. Also season 4 is the most jam packed with content, which is why I consider it the best. Her arriving to Braavos, finding the House of Black and White and turning into a faceless killer by episode 10 (this has to happen) shows more story then the previous season. I just think execution wise, they kind of botched it for some episodes which dragged it down a bit.

I am getting a little worried that the WW might get taken out in 2 episodes or so since we have two seasons left and so many storylines still needed a few more steps before they're ready for the war.

I agree that something has to happen at Winterfell, and I also agree some kind of resolution should happen. I think for season 6 and 7 the most important aspect after ensuring the story is on point with Martin's line of thinking is getting some proper fighting directors. The Brianne horse fight was great, the Dorne Jaime & Bronn vs Dornish soldier was cool and the fight at Hardhome was orgasmic, but otherwise it's been either average or in one case terrible (we all know which one this is).

If an itty bitty bit of dick blood can kill 3 people (well, 2 onscreen, who knows what happened to Balon), then I'm expecting that Shireen being burnt alive will cause it to rain fireballs and lava on Winterfell, which would tie up that storyline pretty quickly.

RDreamer

I wonder why is season 1 rated so low here, Dany was the shit back there, Sean Bean and Roberts´ actor absolutelly nailed it, Tyrion tamed savages, dozens od schemes all around, great cliffhangers. And so much happened in short time!

I really wonder this, too. Dany's story was hands down the best in Season 1. Sean Bean and Robert's actor were so fucking good. The scene with Robert and Cersei together where Robert says he can barely remember how Lyanna looks is still my favorite scene in the entire series, probably. Really, the interactions between all the characters was so top notch. The scene between Ned and Jaime when they're fighting was fucking great. The scene with Viserys getting his golden crown was so good, too. The first episode Bran being pushed out a window was such a big moment. Then there's the biggest moment of Ned getting his head cut off! This is also the season we got Bronn and his great fighting the Eyrie. It also had mother fucking Syrio Forel!

The whole season had such good pacing and impactful things happening in most episodes. I mean, it doesn't seem to have a big sort of load-blowing episode like people here like, but that means that the whole season was paced better.

I have a feeling people around here just like big budget stuff more.

Tuck

Can't believe this Season 2 slander I'm seeing...

-Rise of King Stannis
-Introduction to the Lord of Light
-Arya on the road with Yoren, Gendry, and Hotpie
-Gold Cloaks against Yoren, Arya loses Needle
-Prisoners in Harenhal
-Arya & Tywin was incredible
-Renly,Brinne, Margaery, Littlefinger , Catelyn , Stannis & Melisandre all maneuvering in the Stormlands at the sand time
-Shadow Baby!!
-Craster's Keep
-Tywin's breakout season. Tons of war councils, strategy, and politics
-Joffrey level 100
-This is the season Tyrion was Hand, people
-Tyrion vs Joffrey
-Tyrion vs Littlefinger
-Tyrion vs Pycelle
-Tyrion vs Varys turning into Tyrion + Varys
-Varys vs. Littlefinger
-Cersei and Tyrion getting hammered and
delivering some of the best scenes in the show
-Cersei's harshness towards Sansa turning into a weird mentorship over the course of the season
-Bronn's break out season
-The King in the North!
-Caged Jaime is the best Jaime
-Theon in the Iron Islands reuniting with Balon and Yarra
-Theon assuming command of the Sea Bitch and taking Winterfell with 20 men.
-Theon's speech
-Introduction to The Twins and House Frey
-Daeny vs The Spice King
-The Richest Man in Qarth
-Some of the best Jorah and Daeny scenes
-The Battle of fucking Blackwater
-"Fuck the King"
-Cersei on the Throne with Tommen(it has even more weight to it after the prophecy we saw this season)
-Cowardly sneak attack by The Tyrells and Tywin
-#standandfight
-Fist of the first men & White Walkers

2>4>1>3 Can't judge 5 till it's done.

Sure I'm missing things, but the point is S2 is remarkable, and arguably the most important season given its sheer density. The War of Five Kings in full swing, it's absolutely bursting with lore, politics, and some of the best performances we've seen. The pacing is frenetic, most episodes jump around ALOT. Some ding the season for this, but the pace meshes well with the chaotic climate in Westeros. Seriously, if you haven't watched S2 in a while give it at least a partial rewatch.

Blackwater and The North Remembers are in my top 5. Garden of Bones, Prince of Winterfell, A Man Without Honor, and What is Dead May Never Die are great too.
Book 2/season 2 Tyrion is GOAT.

Brojito

Neo Member
Can't believe this Season 2 slander I'm seeing...

-Rise of King Stannis
-Introduction to the Lord of Light
-Arya on the road with Yoren, Gendry, and Hotpie
-Gold Cloaks against Yoren, Arya loses Needle
-Prisoners in Harenhal
-Arya & Tywin was incredible
-Renly,Brinne, Margaery, Littlefinger , Catelyn , Stannis & Melisandre all maneuvering in the Stormlands at the sand time
-Shadow Baby!!
-Craster's Keep
-Tywin's breakout season. Tons of war councils, strategy, and politics
-Joffrey level 100
-This is the season Tyrion was Hand, people
-Tyrion vs Joffrey
-Tyrion vs Littlefinger
-Tyrion vs Pycelle
-Tyrion vs Varys turning into Tyrion + Varys
-Varys vs. Littlefinger
-Cersei and Tyrion getting hammered and
delivering some of the best scenes in the show
-Cersei's harshness towards Sansa turning into a weird mentorship over the course of the season
-Bronn's break out season
-The King in the North!
-Caged Jaime is the best Jaime
-Theon in the Iron Islands reuniting with Balon and Yarra
-Theon assuming command of the Sea Bitch and taking Winterfell with 20 men.
-Theon's speech
-Introduction to The Twins and House Frey
-Daeny vs The Spice King
-The Richest Man in Qarth
-Some of the best Jorah and Daeny scenes
-The Battle of fucking Blackwater
-"Fuck the King"
-Cersei on the Throne with Tommen(it has even more weight to it after the prophecy we saw this season)
-Cowardly sneak attack by The Tyrells and Tywin
-#standandfight
-Fist of the first men & White Walkers

2>4>1>3 Can't judge 5 till it's done.

Sure I'm missing things, but the point is S2 is remarkable, and arguably the most important season given its sheer density. The War of Five Kings in full swing, it's absolutely bursting with lore, politics, and some of the best performances we've seen. The pacing is frenetic, most episodes jump around ALOT. Some ding the season for this, but the pace meshes well with the chaotic climate in Westeros. Seriously, if you haven't watched S2 in a while give it at least a partial rewatch.

Blackwater and The North Remembers are in my top 5. Garden of Bones, Prince of Winterfell, A Man Without Honor, and What is Dead May Never Die are great too.

Agree 100%. It's amazing how much happened in season 2 and how many things were introduced. Plus every single character interaction was on point. Coincidentally that season also has the most epic trailer in the whole series.

Sande

GoT dragging stuff out has been one of my main complaints for a long time. What seems to be different this time around is that apparently we won't get any kind of resolution in several story lines.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we have one hell of a season finale coming up.

Exactly.

Arya and Hound was padding to its full effect. It could have easily been 4-5 episodes, it didn't need to be more than half a season.

I wish they were still padding Arya and The Hound, that was and still is one of my favorite unlikely duos of the entire series so far and in my opinion the last great one. I was expecting a lot from Tyrion and Varys, but that was very short lived, then Tyrion and Jorah, but that was also short lived, and even more so from Bronn and Jaime but that turned out to be the weakest part of the season for me because I had such high expectations between those two characters, but that's not over yet so who we'll see.

Denali

Has anything leaked about the season finale? I'm watching a Twitch stream, and people are of course yelling out "spoilers" in chat, but I don't know if they're valid or not.

Obviously not going to discuss what's being said, I'd just like to know if I need to be on my guard for additional spoilers until tomorrow.

Vashetti

Banned
Has anything leaked about the season finale? I'm watching a Twitch stream, and people are of course yelling out "spoilers" in chat, but I don't know if they're valid or not.

Obviously not going to discuss what's being said, I'd just like to know if I need to be on my guard for additional spoilers until tomorrow.

Yes, stuff has been leaked.

Nameless

I wasn't saying all of those stories overlapped seasons. I was making the point that they all developed slowly throughout most, if not the entire season. Complaining about the lack of resolution before the season was over would have been premature last year just like it is this year.. Look how much ground "The Children" covered. I see no reason why we couldn't get similar payoffs in the finale this season.

Also tons of people bitched about spending ep9 at The Wall last year instead resolving Tyrion's fate, which I'd argue was even more important than Oberyn's actual death.

Book 2/season 2 Tyrion is GOAT.

Indeed. Legendary stuff by the Half Man.

Agree 100%. It's amazing how much happened in season 2 and how many things were introduced. Plus every single character interaction was on point. Coincidentally that season also has the most epic trailer in the whole series.
Woah forgot about this. Amazing song. They should have recycled it every season. Great stuff.

GoT dragging stuff out has been one of my main complaints for a long time. What seems to be different this time around is that apparently we won't get any kind of resolution in several story lines.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we have one hell of a season finale coming up.

Exactly.

Westeros is a big world, it's always taken time for characters to reach their destinations. To me the journies(both figurative and literal), are often the most interesting part of Thrones. I personally wouldn't describe any of that stuff as the "dragging things out". It's story telling, and this story has always been told meticulously. But to each their own.

yes, someone leaked a screener or something for the final. There are some spoiler pics floating around. So i would lock yourself away for a the next day.

My theory is Melisandre having some sort of connection to the White Walkers at the very end, a kind of surprise Saruman arc that we had in LoTR with him unwittingly helping Sauron.

oatmeal

Banned
On another forum and some piece of SHIT spoiled this episode in teh THREAD TITLE...not even in a thread.

Fuck.

I'm so fucking mad.

I won't say anything else.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
On another forum and some piece of SHIT spoiled this episode in teh THREAD TITLE...not even in a thread.

Fuck.

I'm so fucking mad.

I won't say anything else.

That sick bastard Jorah finally gets his wish, a kiss from Dany, won't he?
Jesus Christ I am about to throw up my dinner just at the thought of it!

oatmeal

Banned
That sick bastard Jorah finally gets his wish, a kiss from Dany, won't he?
Jesus Christ I am about to throw up my dinner just at the thought of it!

its worse

let's just say dany and drogon won't be back for a little while

(This isn't serious. Nothing to do with Dany was read!!)

I swear Peter Dinklage makes everyone else a better actor when he's in a scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nb2gVah_44

He went from drunken perverted dwarf to simply the best actor on the show and probably all of television. He steals every single scene he is in and I hope he gets a better career out of this. I want to see more of him on the big screen and not just as a role only a dwarf could play. The guy is a legitimately great actor.

oatmeal

Banned
Oh sorry. He said a fake thing about them kissing, I was alluding to the dragon and dany having sex.

Apologies! Has nothing to do with what I read.

Nameless

My theory is Melisandre having some sort of connection to the White Walkers at the very end, a kind of surprise Saruman arc that we had in LoTR with him unwittingly helping Sauron.

Yup. She's the only person to take the warning from The Wall seriously and has been beating the WW drum since her debut. Meli,Stannis,Jon,Sam,and now I guess the Wildlings are the only people who are concerned about what's coming.

It would be amazing to see Jon's speech come to life though -- Lannisters, Tyrells, The Vale, Dorne, The Freys, North Men, Iron Islanders, Wildlings, the Night's Watch, Stannis, and of course Dragon Ryder Daeny w/ her Unsullied all abandoning their silly feuds & rivalries to come together and fight The Army of the Dead as one.

Oh and these guys of course :

Richard-Dormer-as-Beric-Dondarrion-lighting-his-sword.gif

Yup. She's the only person to take the warning from The Wall seriously and has been beating the WW drum since her debut.

Thing is, Is she in league with the WW or conjuring up something unaware that is controlling them?

Anyway, we need to divert our eyes from the so called spoilers. seen a video (spoiler FREE) on the latest S5 Finale location used, as seen in the trailer last weekend! https://youtu.be/npLvOZ5rcpU :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom