• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'm glad Tyrion found Dany. He was underappreciated, underutilized, and on the verge of self-destruction. His family and those in Kings Landing helped to eradicate all joy, all meaning in his life, and when that was not enough, they tried to extinguish his life altogether. Now, he's part of something fresh, something great that's being built from the ground-up.

UrbanRats

Personally, I'm glad Tyrion found Dany. He was underappreciated, underutilized, and on the verge of self-destruction. His family and those in Kings Landing helped to eradicate all joy, all meaning in his life, and when that was not enough, they tried to extinguish his life altogether. Now, he's part of something fresh, something great that's being built from the ground-up.

That's all well and good but... where the fuck is Varys?

bill0527

No snark or sarcasm, I honestly want to know...what did people think they had signed up for after watching the pilot, nevemind the previous four seasons?

After the pilot?? I thought I was watching a medieval fantasy with occasional visceral violence centered around political machinations, with occasional deviant sex thrown in. Which is pretty standard for medieval fare.

I didn't know I was in for brutal child killings, rape, some of the worst torture put on film, repeatedly stabbing pregnant women in the stomach, skinning people alive, just to name a few.

It has gotten worse in each successive season. Its like a journey to the absolute bottom of human depravity. Who can be the biggest and most shocking POS on this show? It seems like they have to up that shock value each season. And for me personally, I don't really feel like I need to see what's next. Tuning in to see the worst of humanity every week is just not my idea of entertainment for me personally.

Epix

I fell like the finale has to be like 2 hours just to get minimal closure on even half of the storylines taking place right now.

sangreal

I fell like the finale has to be like 2 hours just to get minimal closure on even half of the storylines taking place right now.

Yeah, I was saying the same thing several pages back. There is way too much left to wrap up

Off the top of my head:
-- Stannis and Winterfell
-- Brienne and Winterfell
-- Sansa and the drill
-- Meryn, Arya and the Faceless men
-- Cersei and Marge in King's Landing
-- Frankenmountain
-- Jon's troubles at the wall
-- Post-dragon/revolution Meereen
-- Where the fuck is Varys
-- Davos' quest for supplies / reaction to Shireen

Yeah, I was saying the same thing several pages back. There is way too much left to wrap up

Off the top of my head:
-- Sansa and the drill
-- Frankenmountain
damn, that is a lot going on.

what is the drill, though?

After the pilot?? I thought I was watching a medieval fantasy with occasional visceral violence centered around political machinations, with occasional deviant sex thrown in. Which is pretty standard for medieval fare.

I didn't know I was in for brutal child killings, rape, some of the worst torture put on film, repeatedly stabbing pregnant women in the stomach, skinning people alive, just to name a few.

It has gotten worse in each successive season. Its like a journey to the absolute bottom of human depravity. Who can be the biggest and most shocking POS on this show? It seems like they have to up that shock value each season. And for me personally, I don't really feel like I need to see what's next. Tuning in to see the worst of humanity every week is just not my idea of entertainment for me personally.

The pilot has attempted child murder, incest and rape. If people thought it wouldn't get worse after all that in one episode...I don't know man. For me nothing will ever be worse than Oberyn though. That's the only scene I can't rewatch.

I think most of those plot points will be pushed until next season, if theyre ever addressed at all that is. I notice the show has a tendency to forget about past characters. Like where the fuck are:
-Gendry,
-brotherhood without banners,
-Asha,
- Rickon,
- Benjen Stark,
-the Hound (never confirmed dead),
-the Greyjoys,
-Walder Frey,
-Varys,
etc etc.

Valus

I think most of those plot points will be pushed until next season, if theyre ever addressed at all that is. I notice the show has a tendency to forget about past characters. Like where the fuck are:
-Gendry,
-Asha,
- Rickon,
- Benjen Stark,
-the Greyjoys,
-Walder Frey,
-Varys,
etc etc.

-Gendry - agreed, they should have him show up in Braavos.
-brotherhood without banners - there isn't really a reason for them to come back
-Asha - who?
- Rickon - agreed, they should have at least shown him get to his destination
- Benjen Stark - agreed, but I feel like they are saving him to "shock" us with a WW Benjin
-the Hound (never confirmed dead) - he's dead, Jim.
-the Greyjoys - they closed that chapter, no need to show them more.
-Walder Frey - we know where he is. He'll get his by the end.
-Varys - I expect we'll at least see him arrive in Mehreen in the finale.

But I also agree that they have too many plot threads to effectively tie up with only one hour. I will be upset if they leave us hanging for a year regarding the plots in Kings Landing, Braavos, and Winterfell. The whole season was building them up, please give us payoff.

To be fair, the last four of those is the Boltons. They've sailed up to become the ultimate assholes. The Lannisters are cruel but they tend to be more traditional in their approach, and they're mostly neutered now anyway.

Inglip

Neo Member
I think we will see the grand foreshadowed return of an important character.

I personally never gave up on the gravy.

UrbanRats

Off the top of my head:
-- Sansa and the drill

-- Frankenmountain

Bolded what i think we'll actually see.
Davos in a big "maybe".

Dany was a former slave herself. Her own brother and last remaining relative sold her to a brute war lord. She then proceeded to gain the respect of the brute war lords army and followers and becomes a true queen to them. She then acquired her own army and freed the slaves of half the world. Her brother sold her to khal drogo against her will but from that point forward she has gotten to her incredibly prominent position on her own leadership. And she three dragons. What's not to like? She makes Stannis look like a pawn.

I can trade some mediocre acting for the badass character that is daenerys targaryen. You can tell she's definitely trying to step her game up around Peter Dinklage though.
The only reason she was ever respected when it comes to the Dothraki was because she was the one who bent for their King. As soon as he was gone, 99.9% of them tapped out and went elsewhere. If it wasn't for Jorah, she would be dead by season 1. She's a very good commander in battle, is absolutely gorgeous and has dragons. That's where it ends with her.

Off the top of my head:
-- Sansa and the drill
-- Frankenmountain
Yeah there are a lot of loose ends for season 6... I hope we get a resolution for Winterfell though. They've been building to it more than any of the big storylines, but I have a feeling all the focus will be at King's Landing and Arya face-changing to get that W. Which has me a bit on the edge with slight irritation. I just want some closure at Winterfell, be it good or bad.

Inglip

Neo Member
I'm really surprised we haven't seen anymore of the Brotherhood without Banners.

The whole riverlands plotline is just too extensive. Caged Tully, black Tully, MIA Hound, Brotherhood, Gendry, it´s just too much.

It would cost at least half the Dorne, Piggymance and Wormance, the carriers of the season!

Bit-Bit

I hope Jamie comes back just in time to see Cersei get beheaded or whatever her fate is for her crimes.

I hope Jon catches Olly up to some shit and beheads his ass for treason.

I hope Dany finds the leader of the Harpies and beheads his ass via dragon bite.

I hope Stannis breaks through Winterfell and beheads the Boltons via flaming sword.

I hope Brienne finds Stannis and beheads him with Oathbreaker.

If all of this happens, then we're talking about the greatest season finale of all time.

someday

Banned
How did her character go backwards? She knew what she was getting into (at least for that night, not being held in a room every night) and agreed to it. She wanted to play a role instead of hide and cry, and yet this is moving backwards?! On one hand I coplain about the terrible blatant foreshadowing fan hand holding of season 5 and then I see posts like this. Looks like we need a monologue for Littlefinger to spell it out when he sees Sansa at the end of this season/early next season.

The reason there is more of a shitstorm then than now is because society is full hypocrisy and double standards, especially in North America. It's crazy to be more insulted at rape then a little child getting burned alive while her parents watch. But nice way of justifying it despite it still not making any more sense than it did beforehand.
I don't think Sansa realized how brutal Ramsay was. It's one thing to expect sex that you may not be too excited about, it's another to expect to be tortured and brutalized nightly, and locked in her room all day. She wanted to play a role, but she had no idea her role would be as a sexual prisoner. You have to see the difference right?

And Like RDreamer said, child sacrifice just isn't something that happens too often so it is much easier to distance yourself from that plot (though it was still horrifying to see). Rape is something that happens and is a realistic fear for today. It is harder to distance yourself from it than flaying, forced dick amputations, and children being burned for the God of Light.

Netprints

I hope Jamie comes back just in time to see Cersei get beheaded or whatever her fate is for her crimes.

I hope Dany finds the leader of the Harpies and beheads his ass via dragon bite.

I hope Stannis breaks through Winterfell and beheads the Boltons via flaming sword.

If all of this happens, then we're talking about the greatest season finale of all time.
Whoa. Too many head being cut off.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Too many bad things happening to bad people, we're gonna end with Jon dead, Stannis killed, the Boltons ruling the north, Dany killed by Drogon, and Brienne and Sansa killed. There's no way we get a happy ending here.

Off the top of my head:
-- Sansa and the drill
-- Frankenmountain

I said the same thing a few episodes back and since then, not only has none of it been resolved, but in some cases it's created more unresolved stories.

Right now with all the shit going on and feeling like it's nowhere close to an end it feels like it should be mid season.

I have a feeling we won't see The Mountain or Varys this season, potentially no more Davos as well. Even with those removed, I don't see them finding the time to finish off the other stories, or at least move them forward significantly, there's just not enough time.

Bit-Bit

Too many bad things happening to bad people, we're gonna end with Jon dead, Stannis killed, the Boltons ruling the north, Dany killed by Drogon, and Brienne and Sansa killed. There's no way we get a happy ending here.

I know you speak the truth, but I want to believe dammit!

Blader

-Gendry,
-Asha,
- Rickon,
- Benjen Stark,
-the Greyjoys,
-Walder Frey,
-Varys,
etc etc.

Doesn't mean they'll never show up again, just that they're not relevant to the plot now. Jaqen and Lancel Lannister weren't seen for years either.

Pooya

They are not going to finish all of that obviously, I think Jon's plot is fine where it is right now. Probably devote most of the last episode to Stannis and his siege, I don't think even that will go anywhere conclusive for now.

They can cover Cersei and probably some short scenes for Mereen and that's it. would be fine. I wonder if Jaime returns any time soon or not, if he returns faith would arrest him too.

There are so many things left open from previous seasons, I hope they do something with all that in the end, and don't pull a we followed the books at first but now that we're pretty much original some stuff from those time is is just going to be left there

Sober

Bolded what i think we'll actually see.
Davos in a big "maybe".
Everything except Frankenmountain IMO. Varys/Mareen maybe just like 5 minutes to catch up
if imdb is be to believed that Varys shows up in 5x10

They might push most of Davos off to next season maybe if they plan to make that a plotline.

Brojito

Neo Member
I doubt the finale will spend more than 5 minutes in Mereen, honestly. There's just too much other important stuff to cover and I don't really think Dany's storyline has really been building to much of anything. Tyron's with her now, Drogon's back.... What else is there really to show? Maybe Varys finally arriving as well? They've been dragging out the harpy business all season but I feel like last episode was the climax of all that, they're probably just going to handwave them away now. The threats over because they're all scared shitless of the dragons now, or something.

The majority of it will most likely be Stannis' battle with the Boltons, Jon at the Wall, and Kings Landing, I'd say in that order of importance. Everything else else that doesn't coincide with those story lines will probably get 5 minutes, like Jaime getting on the boat to go back to Kings Landing. Although I have a feeling they're going to throw some new twists and cliffhangers in this episode to set up for next season, because right now some of the stories seem to be a bit dead in the water.

Valus

I doubt the finale will spend more than 5 minutes in Mereen, honestly. There's just too much other important stuff to cover and I don't really think Dany's storyline has really been building to much of anything. Tyron's with her now, Drogon's back.... What else is there really to show? Maybe Varys finally arriving as well? They've been dragging out the harpy business all season but I feel like last episode was the climax of all that, they're probably just going to handwave them away now. The threats over because they're all scared shitless of the dragons now, or something.

The majority of it will most likely be Stannis' battle with the Boltons, Jon at the Wall, and Kings Landing, I'd say in that order of importance. Everything else else that doesn't coincide with those story lines will probably get 5 minutes, like Jaime getting on the boat to go back to Kings Landing. Although I have a feeling they're going to throw some new twists and cliffhangers in this episode to set up for next season, because right now some of the stories seem to be a bit dead in the water.

You think they will spend 5 minutes on Arya killing Trant? Assuming her arc this season amounts to anything we should see some kind of conclusion there.

Everything except Frankenmountain IMO. Varys/Mareen maybe just like 5 minutes to catch up
if imdb is be to believed that Varys shows up in 5x10

They might push most of Davos off to next season maybe if they plan to make that a plotline.

Seriously tag your spoilers man.

rando14

Ramsay's gonna die next episode guaranteed, by Sansa's hand!! That corkscrew thing that Sansa picked up several episodes ago will make its grand reappearance!!

Yes to all of these!

Brojito

Neo Member
You think they will spend 5 minutes on Arya killing Trant? Assuming her arc this season amounts to anything we should see some kind of conclusion.

Ok, maybe 10 minutes. Meryn did just appear in the last episode, after all, I don't think her time with Jaqen is coming to an end anytime soon.

rando14 said:
Ramsay's gonna die next episode guaranteed, by Sansa's hand!! That corkscrew thing that Sansa picked up several episodes ago will make its grand reappearance!!

At this point, Ramsey has become such a supervillain that his death needs to the focus of an entire episode, not just a 10 minute scene where Sansa stabs him in the neck. I mean that would be awesome, but I feel like his end needs a lot of set up to really feel satisfying.

I know this is game of thrones so it will probably never happen, but I really want a reverse Oberyn vs. the Mountain scene with Ramsey, where you think he's won and is gonna survive again and then they pull a sudden bait and switch. But that would be too happy of an ending.

zewone

jack-nicholson-smile.gif

Brojito

Neo Member
Olly will kill John :(

I highly doubt anything is going to happen to Jon. It just wouldn't make sense for him to die.

For one, we've already had the Red Wedding. We don't need a second Stark getting betrayed by his own men and killed, it would just feel pointless. Besides, Jon is basically the only main character in the Wall storyline. Not that being a main character in this series really means anything, but he's the ONLY main character really left at the wall. If they kill him off, that storyline still has to continue, unlike it did with Robb. The WW are still coming, who are we going to focus on then? Sam? Thorne?

Plus we already had the scene between Sam and Olly which seemed to me like it was setting up him NOT betraying Jon. Even Thorne, in the last episode, opened the gates for Jon, and his remark to him didn't really sound like a threat. ("you've got a big heart, but it's going to get us all killed") Sounded more like Thorne understands what Jon is trying to do, but just thinks it's too risky.

Besides, what about what happened at Hardhome? Jon, several of the nights watch, and 5,000 wildlings just came face to face with the WW and an undead army. I can't believe that after bringing that story back to the wall, the nights watch are really thinking about much else. Surely they're not stupid enough to kill their Lord Commander when their fellow watchmen just saw the undead up close and personal. Everything Jons been trying to say is now suddenly proved to be true.

EDIT: You know, if Sansa kills Ramsey, do you think that Reek is going to revert back to Theon? Or is he going to start worshipping Sansa? I have a feeling that Sansa and Reek might be a combo for a while...

Oh shoot guys I totally forgot about that conversation that Brienne had with little finger (and others) about renly getting stabbed by shadow baby Stannis face. She's totally gonna have a moment with Stannis at one point. I was concerned Ramsay and crowd would capture her and flay her or something but this totally seems part of her arc. BTW I hope Ramsay gets screwed (corkscrewed). Throw Sansa in prison you gonna get shanked! Maybe she should get prison tattoos from Reek and live Dat thug life.

mantidor

Jamie will come back with his "niece" and then Cersei's prophecy will unfold.

It's the Chekov's gun of Cercei, but I still think only one of them will die and they'll leave the rest of the prophecy for future seasons.

So in a way Cercei does have plot armor for sometime.

Valus

Jon is the only real hero we have left, and as others have said he's the only guy at the wall we care about following. I really doubt they will kill him off, not at least until the very end. He's seen the last boss for crying out loud!

That would be a very shitty way to kill him, by a kid no one cares about.

Also why would he even kill Jon? There's not enough motivation. If Olly is gonna kill anyone it would be Tormund.

They have set it up that Tormund is Ollys target.

He mentioned him specifically when speaking to Sam.

When john came back we get a shot of angry Olly then a shot of Tormund counting people for no real reason.

Olly will kill him and put John in a real crisis to uphold the peace.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Very excited for the finale after the last 3 stellar episodes. I can't wait to see trash bag Stannis get what's coming to him. Also am really hoping Sansa drives that corkscrew she picked up into Ramsay's throat.

Ugh SO nervous about Cersei though. I have this dreadful feeling the Queen Regent's gonna die in the season finale :( I might quit the show if Cersei dies.

Valus

Very excited for the finale after the last 3 stellar episodes. I can't wait to see trash bag Stannis get what's coming to him. Also am really hoping Sansa drives that corkscrew she picked up into Ramsay's throat.

Ugh SO nervous about Cersei though. I have this dreadful feeling the Queen Regent's gonna die in the season finale :( I might quit the show if Cersei dies.

Nah she's not gonna die dude. She's the only villain left in King's Landing. Something bad is going to happen to her though - I assume her son is going to get waxed.

Edit: And she's not the queen regent anymore. She's just the king's mom. I love that scene of her getting dragged away and she's screaming "I am the Queen!!!" It kinda tells what's going on in her head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom