• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Maybe I was looking at her bush too much but I honestly didn't notice the CGI being bad during that scene.

Pimpwerx

All those seasons building Sthannis to off him like that? WTF?!? That was a huge waste of time.

Arya is a harass. Don't make her permanently blind.

A Lannister I actually like? Jamie has that douche to that dude. I like Lefty. Sucks for his daughter.

That ending was brutal. However, it means the white walkers are totally going to wreck shit at The Wall. There are now zero people I give a shit about there with Jon and Sam out of the picture. Those virgins deserve what's coming to them too. PEACE.

It really isn't though? There hasn't been a major character death (barring any that happened tonight) that happened for no reason. Cut Jon from the whole story and the wall is in the same spot it is now, with any character development effectively being a waste of time. Cut Rob and the show's plot is quite different. See the difference?

Game of Thrones for all it's pretenses is still a fairy tail, and Jon leaving the show here is bad storytelling.

Then you dun fuckin' goofed. That shit was obvious even from the cell, completely different person.

Cite an example. Red Wedding had massive purpose. I can't honestly think of a death that had no purpose.
I guess saying deaths serve no purpose was a bit too much but the show certainly kills off characters left and right without notice. His death serving no purpose isn't a real indication on him coming back. For all we know, his death could end up serving a purpose once the show comes back instead of it being a sign of him coming back alive. I hope it's the latter but I can see him remaining dead and them chalking up his blood to some importance.

Zaph

The way Melisandre lingers around Jon every chance she gets, and the very, very long focus of his blood welling in the snow (after how many conversations about king's blood?), yeah there's no way he's dead - I'm not even sure why the show bothered to pretend.

Overall, what a weird episode? So many elements seemed to work, but then there was a bunch of unnecessary aren't they/are they dead cliffhangers? Sansa/Theon? Stannis? Marcella (okay, she's obviously dead after that far-too-touching-for-GOT moment). And Jon? Seems like something you'd expect from a soap opera - not a HBO show where all the casting/promotion is all over the news and/or will leak out anyway.

And what was up with the insanely long Cersei scene given they had to use CGI? Surely shorten it drastically given how wonky it looks?

Yeah, not a bad episode, just weird.

Eyeh4wk

The Cersei thing is so stupid. If the actress doesn't do nudity, just shoot around it. Doing a weird CGI thing isn't ever a good compromise. They could have shot around it like they shot around the fucking battle of Winterfell.

I'm interested in what's up with Arya now.

But then we wouldn't have the obligatory tits shot of the episode.

BTM

Holy shit that was a roller coaster of emotions. I fucking fell for the trap. I got all excited about Benjen and then just starting going "fuck fuck fuck fuck" when I realized what was going on.

He has to come back though right? Wasn't his mother's identity one of the questions GRRM asked D&D before he let them take over?

And I was actually happy for Jamie when Myrcella was telling him she knew he was her father. After all these years he was finally able to feel true love from one of his children and then boom, poisoned.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
But then we wouldn't have the obligatory tits shot of the episode.

Do you really think the nudity in that scene didn't add to how much she was degraded? Her being clothed would have taken a lot of the impact from that scene.

I guess saying deaths serve no purpose was a bit too much but the show certainly kills off characters left and right without notice. His death serving no purpose isn't a real indication on him coming back. For all we know, his death could end up serving a purpose once the show comes back instead of it being a sign of him coming back alive. I hope it's the latter but I can see him remaining dead and them chalking up his blood to some importance.
The show becomes a lot less interesting without him, theres really no other character or plot line in the show that I really care for if he really stays dead. The threat of the WW is useless to me then

Just finished watching so I haven't looked at reactions at all, but something about this episode....ehhhh. Really wasn't a fan. Seemed weird, not totally sure why yet. Maybe it was the 340 cliffhangers just stitched together to make an episode.

Edit: what the hell is wrong with gaf? This double post came out of no where. I have been noticing them in other threads too.

Edit 2: now my original one was deleted. Sigh...

The show becomes a lot less interesting without him, theres really no other character or plot line in the show that I Really care for if he really stays dead.
#teamwhitewalkers

I feel the same and like I said I'm pretty sure he'll come back but you never know.

Seems too coincidental that Melisandre just happens to show up at the wall. She'll bring him back from the grave and Jon will no longer be tied to the Nights Watch.

Now what will happen to the Wall storyline? Outside of Jon's probable resurrection there is like nothing going on and no one to watch for.

We get to watch the whitewalkers completely tear through The NightsWatch and the Boltons. It's believable that Jon is dead and they just completely screwed themselves and we get to see them alone at the wall defenseless when the time comes and they get slaughtered. I can see the same happening in Winterfell. The Boltons don't have the support from the Royal family anymore so they too will be alone when the time comes with Sansa and Theon escaping(I presume) there is noone left there to care about.

The reckoning will be sweet. I think these two plotlines where the only ones to save the North as far as I'm concerned the North is done and those left will die horrible deaths. Kings landing is where they will meet resistance. But as for the Nightseatch and Boltons...

314185d38ca04ab6ca6c08407c70fa12.gif

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Deleting entire post. Poster beneath this message didn't like that what I quoted is in this thread and I can sorta see their point.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just finished the episode.

WTF...

1) What does killing Jon accomplish here? Did he not tell them that their is a zombie apocalypse at their doorstep and they should get their shit together? Do they not care? Did they think about Wildlings finding out and telling the Watch to do fuck themselves? They outnumber them for fuck's sake! You just kill the dude who went to bat for them!

So what happens if Jon is resurrected? Uh, they kill him again? This time they kill the Red Women and Davos. Great. Fun. Jon rallies the troops and kills those people? Seemed to be a good group of dudes who wanted him dead. I'm don't...I don't see the end game here with any of these results.

2) Oh look, Dany found another army!

3) No resolution with the two Tyrells stuck in jail?

4) Didn't we see Lena nude in 300? Or was that a body double as well? All I could think of was "were her breasts that big? sup with her face? Oh, CG." With that out of the way, Cersei is one strong, strong woman. She saw her only chance out of that place and back into the capital and took it. That took some serious balls, guts, etc. Speaking of balls, sup with the dude just hangin' out? LOL Gotta keep the genital balance evened out I guess.

5) Dorne is pretty fucked. Killed the king's sister and put their Prince on the same boat? When Cersei/Tommen find out...

Finally, after this episode, I just sat back and wondered where everything is going. It's just sort of flopping around like a fish out of water. No one is challenging Tommen any time soon. The Boltons are secure in Winterfell. The Frays are just chillin' with no retribution taken upon them. Dorne does nothing. Dany is a world away with her own city at their own throats...and she's in the middle of nowhere. She isn't going for the Throne any time soon. The show just straight up said "Fuck Bran" who is chillin' in the North with tree children. The Night's Watch is pretty pathetic. They're no match for the White Walkers and they won't help any side. Arya is too young to do anything worthwhile in the grand scheme of things here either. Also, to be honest, I don't care about Theon and Sansa. they mean nothing to the story at this point.

It feels like the story is stuck in dirt spinning its tires. =/

More I think of it, the more I realize Snow coming back makes no sense.

Despite all this stuff about revivals and all that... how do you write a compelling story?

Because on one hand Jon Snow has to either die again, or survive until the very end. Neither will be as impactful.

His death here just makes sense, and it's completely believable given the motivation.

On top of this, no one was really left that is greater than Jon that would vouch for him. People die shitty deaths, him being just another death really removes all this "plot armour" structure that one may expect when reading or watching shows. Lots of shows do it, but to do the opposite and kill off someone like that is going to be remembered significantly. If you were to really believe in this world and story, you'd accept that great people would die like this

I think my only issue is that the whole episode was so poorly executed, so it doesn't feel "real". Way too many cutaways and way too many deaths crammed in.

Seriously, was it to hard to find a double with a similar cup size?

I know, I remember reading last year that she was to do a nude scene, I just seen the headline and didn't bother with the article as to avoid spoilers and I was pretty excited. The moment I saw her boobs I knew it was bogus.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I can't see Jon and some of these other characters staying dead, there are so few characters that we still follow and no new ones introduced that I don't see them thining the ranks even more. With Mel turning up there at the end and the whole Nights Watch vow proclaiming loyalty till death, just seems a coincidental to not mean anything.

Still, good luck to them if he isn't dead and they they are going to try and keep quiet about it which I imagine won't last long, and good luck to them if they did kill a bunch main characters we'd been following for years with very few left to follow.

Tainted

Did anyone else get a laugh out of Varys just popping up out of nowhere ? :) Would've been funny if he covered Tyrion's eyes and shouted 'Surprise !'

diamount

Banned
Just finished watching so I haven't looked at reactions at all, but something about this episode....ehhhh. Really wasn't a fan. Seemed weird, not totally sure why yet. Maybe it was the 340 cliffhangers just stitched together to make an episode.

Yeah, probably the weakest finale the show has had for me. Jon not coming back is BS that's for sure.

NolbertoS

"But I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season. So that’s all I can tell you, really."

Jon in season 7 then!

I think season 6 will be about Khaleesi, Bran and Hodor's adventures and maybe Arya And Sansa's adventures. Keeping Jon dead until all the character stories lead to the Great Battle against the White walkers is when he'll get resurrected. Just think Jon plays a big role in the final battle lf Westeroos. Don't forget Bran is learning magic from the Old Gods, maybe he also has rhe power of resurrection.

"But I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season. So that’s all I can tell you, really."

Jon in season 7 then!

They wouldn't go a whole season without him because that would mean a whole season without the wall, without meli, davos. Not going to happen this late in the series.

Anyway, the article means nothing because he'd be breaching his contact if he was to say otherwise.

Mrbob

Jon in season 7 then!
If he is coming back I think the worst thing would be to drag it out all of season six and into cliffhanger territory for season 7.

royalan

I think season 6 will be about Khaleesi, Bran and Hodor's adventures and maybe Arya And Sansa's adventures. Keeping Jon dead until all the character stories lead to the Great Battle against the White walkers is when he'll get resurrected. Just think Jon plays a big role in the final battle lf Westeroos. Don't forget Bran is learning magic from the Old Gods, maybe he also has rhe power of resurrection.

But by that point his body will have been dead and decomposing for how long?

Jon doesn't even need to come back. The North is lost. The evil has won there and when the white walkers sweep through Castle Black and Winterfell there will be nobody left there to care about. We will cheer the arrival of the Night King and watch the slaughter.

NolbertoS

But by that point his body will have been dead and decomposing for how long?

You do realize that not all the stories follow a linear time progression. In a seasons time, 2- 3 days could pass a season. We get micro glimpses on whats happening around the world simultaneouslu per episode. For all we know when rhe stories focus on Castle Black again, Melisandre will have begun the rituals of resurrection with the Lord of Lights help.

Mrbob

so ghost showed up out of the blue to save sam and gilly. and now he's nowhere to be seen? sloppy shit.
Yeah that is the worst part of it. Now D and B will have to concoct some stupid reason why Ghost saves Sam from a random encounter while has no idea Jon is in danger.

kingkitty

we've lost Stannis

and Jon is dead as well.

there is no hope for the North.

there is no hope for Westeros.

may the gods help us.

#stannisisdead
#longlivestannis
#thereisnohope

I dont get the Watch. Didn't Jon tell them about the white walker army. They dont give a fuck about that? Makes no sense and so petty against impending doom.

Brojito

Neo Member
so ghost showed up out of the blue to save sam and gilly. and now he's nowhere to be seen? sloppy shit.

Yea where the fuck is ghost this entire time? I forgot he even existed until that scene with sam and gilly, and then he just disappears again.

Just to make up for it they should open next season with ghost ripping ollys throat out in his sleep or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom