• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuXx

Remember most of the night's watchmen are rapists, murders, and other kinds of criminals. These guys aren't really in it to save the world, just look after themselves.

That's why I don't really feel bummed about Jon going out like that. Dude had plenty of opportunities to leave the watch. Deciding to stay loyal to a bunch of crooks instead of fighting for his family/house was dumb on his part.

Edward

Banned
Did they though? They showed the dude get stabbed multiple times and bleed out in the snow. Everyone is hoping he gets brought back and is finding clues for how that might happen but I'm not seeing a cliffhanger there.

Reminds me of that Breaking Bad season finale when Jesse shoots Gale in the face. Lots of people were saying things like, "the gun sort of moves.. maybe he didn't shoot him? Maybe Gale is still alive!"

nubbe

Ey9dTmU.gif

Nah... I'm on team White Walkers

Joe

We get to look forward to:

- a war with dorne
- davos at the wall, with the red priestess as his closest ally. hopefully he becomes a more important character, he's one of my favorites
- zombie mountain who looks insane in that kingsguard armor
- tyrion governing mereen
- possible resurrected stannis and/or jon snow
- possible daenerys uniting dothraki tribes?
- bran, children of the forest, and warging into wolves
- blind arya
- white walkers getting real close to the wall and the seven kingdoms
- sansa and theon together in search of bran and rickon

Inglip

Neo Member
That's why I don't really feel bummed about Jon going out like that. Dude had plenty of opportunities to leave the watch. Deciding to stay loyal to a bunch of crooks instead of fighting for his family/house was dumb on his part.

Stannis had like 20% chance of actually getting the Throne. Also, what good is Winterfell if there are WW right outside the border? It wasn't dumb at all IMO

SlickVic

They're a bunch of bitter, angry, closed minded old fools. And they haven't been laid in years (if ever). You can't expect them to listen to reason.

Yeah seeing how the Night's Watch acts isn't terribly surprising. Nothing we've seen of them up to this point as a whole has shown they have the intellect or savvy to overcome the generations of prejudice they have for the Wildings. You can argue the Wildings aren't terribly different themselves, but when they've witnessed the army of the dead first hand, it makes it a whole lot easier to bury old grudges (and even then, we saw it wasn't a unanimous decision for all of them to leave either).

As far as other thoughts, man did Stannis's story wrap up surprisingly quickly. This season seemed to be building up to a big battle between Stannis and the Boltons, but we get one quick landscape shot comparing the size of the 2 armies, and the battle is basically over after that. The fallout of his decisions from the last episode play out very quickly. For a character that had managed to keep sticking around after the Blackwater defeat (hard to believe that's 3 years ago now), I guess it just surprised me how fast everything just fell apart for him before his death.

- a war with dorne
- davos at the wall, with the red priestess as his closest ally. hopefully he becomes a more important character, he's one of my favorites
- blind arya

Yep. Still looking forward to the upcoming seasons.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

- a war with dorne
- blind arya

Tyrion is the only thing I'm looking forward to (other than a revival of Jon). Him and Varys are back together doing what they do best, pulling shitty situations from the brink of utter destruction and righting whatever ship they're on. The two of them fucking held King's Landing together, if they can't fix Mereen then no one can.

Yeah seeing how the Night's Watch acts isn't terribly surprising. Nothing we've seen of them up to this point as a whole has shown they have the intellect or savvy to overcome the generations of prejudice they have for the Wildings. You can argue the Wildings aren't terribly different themselves, but when they've witnessed the army of the dead first hand, it makes it a whole lot easier to bury old grudges (and even then, we saw it wasn't a unanimous decision for all of them to leave either).

As far as other thoughts, man did Stannis's story wrap up surprisingly quickly. This season seemed to be building up to a big battle between Stannis and the Boltons, but we get one quick landscape shot comparing the size of the 2 armies, and the battle is basically over after that. The fallout of his decisions from the last episode play out very quickly. For a character that had managed to keep sticking around after the Blackwater defeat (hard to believe that's 3 years ago now), I guess it just surprised me how fast everything just fell apart for him before his death.

Stannis had nowhere to go as a character after this. He literally gave up everything he stood and fought for in pursuit of what he thought was his destiny. Had he listened to Davos he'd still be alive and the Wall might be in a better situation. He wasn't Stannis anymore, not the Stannis that Davos had unending loyalty to anyway.

SSJLuffy

Probably the weakest season overall but this finale was easily one of best episodes of the season and one of the best finales.

Gonna be re-watching the finale again sometime soon... this kinda made me wanna watch the entire season and possibly entire show... AGAIN.

Was an odd episode. I wasn't against anything that happened, but it felt oddly paced and stitched together. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger.

And of course Jon will come back. He always does.

Future

Who of the nights watch would actually be able to kill a white walker. Who there even knows that jons sword and valerian steel is capable of it.

They are already dead

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Who of the nights watch would actually be able to kill a white walker. Who there even knows that jons sword and valerian steel is capable of it.

They are already dead

Sam, but he's not there anymore. Shit, these dumb fuckers are going to be killed by the first White Walker that strolls by.

TuXx

Stannis had like 20% chance of actually getting the Throne. Also, what good is Winterfell if there are WW right outside the border? It wasn't dumb at all IMO

Don't you think Stannis would had more of a chance if he had the Wilding army on his side? If Jon was really smart he would have became warden of the north and had a larger army on his side to defend the wall. If he couldn't do that, he'd at least have more power to send more men to the wall.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Don't you think Stannis would had more of a chance if he had the Wilding army on his side? If Jon was really smart he would have became warden of the north and had a larger army on his side to defend the wall. If he couldn't do that, he'd at least have more power to send more men to the wall.

For better or worse Jon was Ned's kin, he had that same stubborn honor thing in him. Had he been a little greedy he might have survived and the last two episodes might have played out differently for him and Stannis.

Watching Stannis lose everything in a matter of minutes was heartbreaking. I've been on his team since season 2...god damn.

The fucking build up... just to die like that. Fuck man...I cared more for stannis than jon snow lol.

Indeed. This is the moment I was Team Stannis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af0dSZXGK9Q

He had an interesting story arc. Despite the odds, he almost conquered King's Landing and the throne. Fails, and loses almost everything. To only come back to save the Wall, and tries to take the north. Where he literally loses everything.

Inglip

Neo Member

He offered it to him AFTER he burnt Mance. Wildlings were off the picture whan he had the choice to go for it.

GRRM on that Khu khu mode..
CCbEV7gUIAEKQ_z.jpg

My boy Jon Targaryen is probably really dead.
9jBmg.png

I'm not believing all these resurrection things until I see him again alive as a REAL Jon Targaryen and not as a WW top dog (coming back as a WW doesnt count lol.. that is not the authentic JS we know and love). I feel like I saw this GRRM bullshit coming (after all these seasons) but still.... I wasnt ready AT ALL.. fuck this hurts. Fuck Olly you little shit. I hope you die getting your ass clobbered by skeleton dudes.

Man, I wonder what would Ned and Cate feel if they ever see al the shit their kids are/have gone through. Ned will probably be proud of Jon, Shedding tears for Sansa and shaking his head for Arya... Arya was feeling herself way too much thinking shes already that ninja assassin and Jaquen called her ass out for it now she suffering for it... . I wish arya followed my suggestion weeks ago to ice jaquen for making her sweep floors and cleaning bodies. now its too late.. She'll probably get kicked out of the house because well she broke the rules and blind. I hope shes good at singing. because darn How will blind arya survive in that world.

I feel like jumping on to the Bran Bandwagon but Bran will probably go like "Bitch were where you when I was walking?"

And Sansa is alive.. Aint no way GRRM will dispatch her only through by jumping off a wall.
mjlol.png
. She will get caught by Ramsey.. Because Theon gonna Reek again.

Zaph

Not gonna lie, I could happily watch an entire season 6 of just Tyrion, Varys, Grey Worm and Missandei fixing up Meereen. No magics, dragons, zombies or battles. Just give me Westeroes West Wing.

WWW for short. I don't think that acronym is taken.

Five

Banned
Not gonna lie, I could happily watch an entire season 6 of just Tyrion, Varys, Grey Worm and Missandei fixing up Meereen. No magics, dragons, zombies or battles. Just give me Westeroes West Wing.

WWW for short. I don't think that acronym is taken.

Meereen is in Essos.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Melisandre's "oh god i was wrong i've fucked up everything" face when arriving at Castle Black was great.

DrBo42

It's kinda shocking just how stupid the Night's Watch is. You're going to betray a dude that stopped thousands of wildlings from becoming more of the inevitable undead army you're going to face? My suspension of disbelief has hit its limit.

zeshakag

You know I wouldn't be surprised if the first line of the next book was something along the lines of

"The lord of light did not listen to the red haired woman's prayer. The bastard's corpse had since gone stale."

just as a fuck you. I'd be real cautious of setting up all of these expectations of resurrection knowing good ole George.

Zaph

It's kinda shocking just how stupid the Night's Watch is. You're going to betray a dude that stopped thousands of wildlings from becoming more of the inevitable undead army you're going to face? My suspension of disbelief has hit its limit.

Generally speaking, you don't end up at the Night's Watch by being smart. At least the show's being consistent in showing us that these guys really are a bunch of scumbags basically in a prison - unlike all those other shows which make out criminals/prisoners to be rogues with a heart of gold.

TuXx

He offered it to him AFTER he burnt Mance. Wildlings were off the picture whan he had the choice to go for it.

Why would the Wildlings be out of the picture? Jon was able to bring them over the wall before Stannis went to Winterfell. The only thing that would have been a challenge was convincing the wildlings to fight for a southern king that killed their leader, but if he was able to convince them to go to castle black, he'd probably would have been able do it.

FFS. This fucking show. No way in hell Jon isn't coming back. Remember the guy that got chapped in half by the hound?

For me, Myrcella's death was quite tragic, given how minor the character is in the show. For Jaime this has got to be too much.

I'm rooting for Obyrin's bitch to get what's coming to her.

Does anyone remember those Lord of Light followers from a few seasons back? That one guy who had his wounds healed by the LoL, I suspect the same will happen to Jon if the LoL really wants him alive to fulfill whatever end goals it has in mind.

DrBo42

Generally speaking, you don't end up at the Night's Watch by being smart. At least the show's being consistent in showing us that these guys really are a bunch of scumbags basically in a prison - unlike all those other shows which make out criminals/prisoners to be rogues with a heart of gold.

Yeah I was thinking about that when I was writing it. But I have to imagine that level of stupid hatred has to go out the window when zombie armies are being raised.

I said it's better writing to make you wonder. She's there at that camp. He's shown bleeding out.

It's far more mysterious to have you (us) wait and find out what happened with all the chess pieces. The impact of Jon falling for the traitor gag would be so much more diminished if she just wandered up to him seconds later.
Not really, if the cliff hanger hinges on one event happening, which is Red Witch walking up and doing a thing that makes Jon wake up ten minutes into the first episode, then it is something that could have easily been done at the end of the episode to complete one plot line and start another without stringing the audience along for pure shock.

funkypie

Banned
Overall disappointing episode to disappointing series. Felt like mgs4 trying to hard to wrap up everything and delivering trash.

Jamie's story felt like it was there just to give him screen time and an easy way of writing him out of kings landing, so he could not interfere in the god awful plot of cersi and the religious nut jobs. Could have been wrapped up in 2-3 episodes and stupidly sneaking to dorn when just going normally would have worked.

They built up stannis for three years just to end him in 2 minutes. Seriously why?

Jon snow not a character I'm too fond off but seriously, the guy was an idiot, at least make a speech to the rest of your men about what you had seen, instead he confides is Sam, who is useless. If Jon actually spoke to the nights watch once in awhile they might not have betrayed him.

Not sure if it's a combination of the last couple of books being bad (not read just people's opinions), rushed work, George rr Martin making it up on the spot or the show runners doing whatever.

Also why has this series been so predictable, you could guess every scene. From jons trap, to Danny's dragon coming to the rescue.

I dont read the books but my brother does and told me something that isnt in the books and it was hinted heavily this season. For caution im blocking out what I say just incase it comes true.

In theory i dont wanna let jon go just yet

Im very serious about spoilers and my brother has not told me anything that hallens in the books

Enco

Literally no chance Sansa and Theon are dead.

That would be way too dumb.

Pretty insane episode. Fuck Melisandre and Ollie. Hope they die.

RIP Jon. He was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom