• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sande

If certain characters won't die then the people will complain that the show is only about cheap deaths while the real important characters have plot armor.

It's a lose-lose situation.
I think there's a delicate balance to doing it "right". Game of Thrones has gone way overboard imo, and I'm all out of fucks to give about anyone dying at this point.

I definitely don't think Ned is his father. But I do believe that he has Stark blood in him as Ned sounded very sincere when he told him that in season 1 (https://youtu.be/diZPm20DdLM?t=15s).
So my theory is that he is the son of Ned's sister Lyanna (or is there another sister?). Whether it's with Robert or someone else I don't know but I'm almost certain he's the son of Lyanna.

I say nay to this. I think Jon's lineage is much simpler. He should truly be Ned's bastard son. With who though, that's the question. My rationale is Caitlin's near-irrational hatred on Jon. She's hated him his entire life and can't let it go, no matter how he's grown up and integrated with the rest of the family. I 100% believe he's Ned's son.

Who the mother is, I dunno. If there was a Targeryn daughter at the time, it'd line up with everyone else's theory that he's full-blooded. If he's Lyanna's, and there was a good reason (like she was ... I can't think of one), it would explain why Caitlin kept apologizing to Ned about hating Jon.

No, they aren't immune to fire, period. The season 1 finale was a specific magical event, a once-off. If you set Dany on fire there in season 5, she'd burn to death.

You sure? Because in the first episode when she steps in to the bath the maiden says "it's too hot my lady" but she steps in anyway without caring.

Lorcain

As soon as Jon left without Longclaw I feared the worst. That was a very clever fake out showing Benjin Stark in the episode recap. Nicely done producers.

The fake out with Syrio was cruel. The producers were just fucking with us. I was waiting for Jaqen to be Syrio. Nothing...except a girl losing her eyesight. I wasn't able to make out some of what Jaqen told Arya during that scene.

I hope Jon gets superpowers when he rises from the ashes as the lol's new champion.
He better not really be dead.

I hope there isn't a kidnapping storyline for Dany to start the new season. She's already been there and done that sort of. It would be much cooler if she rides in as the new Khaleesi for a huge Khalisar. She's not the true queen without her Dothraki.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
You sure? Because in the first episode when she steps in to the bath the maiden says "it's too hot my lady" but she steps in anyway without caring.

My understading is that only the dragon is immune to fire (that's what Dany says when Drogo kills Viserys). There is one dragon per generation (I suppose). Dany is the new dragon, Viserys wasn't so the gold killed him.

I assume that Aemon wasn't his generation's dragon.

rxdco07

Spoilers GoT theory for next season:
White walkers attack Castle Black and the Night's King does the 'come at me bro thing to raise the "defeated army". One of the new undead is Jon Snow, but a flashback occurs where -before he was stabbed by Olly, he actually warged to Ghost, Jon's direwolf. Ghost/Jon sees this and wargs back to the undead corpse, thus the birth of Jon Snow the white walker aka Snow White #snowwhitetheory

Inglip

Neo Member
There's like 400 years of history of Targaryens and thousands of years of Valyrians in general. She is unique, but that's it. A lot of you raged about her carelessness when she watched her brother died, but i think she was truly surprised that he wasn't like her "He was no dragon".

The reason for Red Womans' lust for Targaryens/Baratheons is because they share blood, although they are really distant.
(not spoiler, it was on S1 bonus history explanation series, but tagging it anyways as it's apperently not a common knowlage) Fire immunity is not related to it as far as we can tell.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
This reminds me, shouldn't Aemon's body not have burned? He was full Targaryen.

I have a feeling that the head of the Sparrows (or whatever that religious order is called) and that female jailer are about the experience the most painful deaths of all time.

JB1981

So is Jon really dead or is Melisandre going to bring him back? I have to think that final shot which lingered on the blood so long has to imply something about him having King's blood. I refuse to accept that he's gone. His character trajectory doesn't support death this early.

MikeyB

I bet some money that the finale would cut to Jorah, Tyrion, and Daerio (or whatever) in the throne room, generally unharmed, and with no explanation of how they made it from the arena to the pyramid after Dany's escape.

Nothing about the remaining Harpies on the ground, in the stands, or in the streets.

I wish I had also bet that they wouldn't acknowledge Jorah getting sliced up in the arena.

Betting that the jump from the wall of Winterfell isn't referenced again seems safe.

Edit:
It cut straight to Ramsay killing somebody, we didn't need to see Brienne slashing/stabbing him.

That's awesome. So we needed to see random dude get beheaded in the arena, hear Shireen's screams, see Sandsnake boobs, watch Cersei walk through the city for ages, but not confirm the death of a major character of four seasons. Okaaaaay.

Sajjaja

So is Jon really dead or is Melisandre going to bring him back? I have to think that final shot which lingered on the blood so long has to imply something about him having King's blood. I refuse to accept that he's gone. His character trajectory doesn't support death this early.

We all feel you man.....But it's the reality. He's dead. He ignored the people around him and focused too much on the bigger picture.

nahlakhai

Depends on what kind of trajectory you think he was supposed to go on in the first place. If you believe that Jon is Ned's son, whether bastard or not, then this is where it ends. His honor and farsightedness costed him his life, just like Ned.

Personally I think Mellisandre being there and her abandonment of Stannis means everything in this case. Jon Snow may be dead, but Jon Stark/Targaryen is going to be born.

Zaph

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Cersei+cgi+body+double

A side by side comparison...

double-cersei.png

All I could think of while watching it:

Curufinwe

I bet some money that the finale would cut to Jorah, Tyrion, and Daerio (or whatever) in the throne room, generally unharmed, and with no explanation of how they made it from the arena to the pyramid after Dany's escape.

Most of the Harpies got killed by Drogon, and there were still some Unsullied left along with Jorah and Daario. This thread would be a lot shorter if you took out all the posts where people complain about things that were adequately explained on the show.

They showed snow on the ground, people in real life have survived longer jumps than that into snow, there doesn't need to be any further explanation.

MikeyB

She fled because the dragon was getting injured. That they had the upper hand is far from clear. The unsullied were being slaughtered in the stands. You're assuming a ton.

Episode was great. It really makes you want to watch the next season damn it.

Though it just cemented even more why #TeamWhiteWalker is the way to go. Humans are too cruel.

Also nice, burning a little girl alive made the temperature rise a few degrees. Go Lord of Light lol

MikeyB

That Drogon killed enough Harpies to allow Jorah etc. to escape is not assuming a lot at all.

So all of the Harpies were in the arena at the ground level? They were the 15-16 that he torched? The ones in the stands were killed or unable to reach the ground or fled? And there were none in the streets or the Unsullied had them controlled out there? No, not much at all.

Crisco

Banned
People complaining about the Harpies again? That was assassination attempt in Daznak's pit, not a full out revolt. When they failed to kill Dany, the jig was up and the rest probably retreated.

Zaph

Most of the Harpies got killed by Drogon, and there were still some Unsullied left along with Jorah and Daario. This thread would be a lot shorter if you took out all the posts where people complain about things that were adequately explained on the show.

Also, it's probably safe to assume the Harpies' were steeled by Daenerys looking weak after clearing out the slavers and chaining up her dragons. Having a grown Drogon fly down, eat people and fly her away probably caused a lot of the surviving Harpies to melt their masks that night...

If certain characters won't die then the people will complain that the show is only about cheap deaths while the real important characters have plot armor.

It's a lose-lose situation.

I think there's a delicate balance to doing it "right". Game of Thrones has gone way overboard imo, and I'm all out of fucks to give about anyone dying at this point.

I thought this was an interesting article and thought this quote really summed up what a lot of people seem to be feeling lately:

Let’s get back to first principles here, first principles meaning, “Not everything has to be 100 percent awful 100 percent of the time.” It’s not that I object to profound onscreen unpleasantries so much as I’m tired of those unpleasantries being the Entire Point, the show’s sole reason for being, an escalating trollishness that punishes you relaxing or caring or smiling or not-wincing, even for a second. There is nowhere to go but down, from Too Far to Even Farther. It’s the only game left in town. Game of Thrones long ago entered its “going door-to-door trying to shock you” phase, playing for stats in which the only stat that matters is “number of Twitter users appalled.” We got plenty of grist for that mill last night, and no grist for any others.

particularly for the fact that any time somebody is like "Okay, this shit is going overboard" people here always post that stupid Ramsey gif. Showing Ramsey being fucked up over and over and over really isn't story telling. That's part of the problem with this season.
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/game-of-thrones-needs-to-put-us-out-of-its-misery-1711317572

aravuus

She's tall as fuck too. What's her name?

Haha

"Not only she gets to beat and humiliate Cersei, she's also fucking tall!"

Seriously though

I'd pay to get to humiliate Cersei

Or I guess I would have paid, I admit I felt kinda bad for her in the finale

Cersei + Zombie Mountain combo is going to wreck shit in season 6

You mean skipped the slaughter? There was no battle there.

Battle, slaughter, whatever. Stannis survived till the very end and I would have loved to actually see him in action.

Qurupeke

Night King comes to the place the Bolton-Stannis battle took place. He resurrects them and adds them to his side. Stannis becomes a whitewalker and kills Night King. Becomes the one True King. Takes Westeros with his undead buddies.

Vashetti

Banned
So Stannis and what was left of his army died in the attempt to get the Boltons out of Winterfell. When is this evil family finally going to get their comeuppance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom