• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyB

What possible ending could a character, that burns people to fuel his delusional plans, have?
Show that he died. Give the "do your duty response" more weight. Have him claim that he is the true king. Have him say something about his faith given how much he sacrificed for it. Have him break and weep for his sins. Have something.

Less consequential characters have had more meaningful deaths.

Have Brienne's reaction now that she has fulfilled an oath to a man she loved.

Something.

Ted Striker

Neo Member
Show that he died. Give the "do your duty response" more weight. Have him claim that he is the true king. Have him say something about his faith given how much he sacrificed for it. Have him break and weep for his sins. Have something.

Less consequential characters have had more meaningful deaths.

Have Brienne's reaction now that she has fulfilled an oath to a man she loved.

Something.

His daughter was dead , his wife was dead , all his loyal soldiers massacred , abandoned by the one person he trusted most and his dreams of grandeur smashed . At that point he was a simple man bleeding . He didn't have to say anything, his expressions told everything.

Curufinwe

Should've left him on that farm. :(

Styr-Olly.png

I'm shocked he still hates the wildlings. They only ate his parents. Get over it, kid.

MikeyB

His daughter was dead , his wife was dead , all his loyal soldiers massacred , abandoned by the one person he trusted most and his dreams of grandeur smashed . At that point he was a simple man bleeding . He didn't have to say anything, his expressions told everything.
That sort of resignation is probably more true to life, but inexcusably shitty drama. The lack of resolution for Brienne is also cheap.

In a world where people can literally come back from the dead I'm going to wait before saying that Jon Snow is dead.

Well that was a lot crammed into 60 mins.

Stannis was written out like a punk. "Sire, your men have mutinied, your wife's killed herself, your army looks like it's been surrounded and here comes a 6ft blonde to kill you. Well..... See ya...."

- Ramsay's mistress falling from the tower was brutal
- Don't fuck with Arya
- They spent all the money on Drogba, so they only had $50 to cg Lena's head.
- "I love you father" *ded* We'll who didn't see that coming?
- Is Sansa or Dany the next Kim Bauer?

I think there's been a drop in quality this series. I'm off to catch up with the books to see if they suffer the same fate,or if i5 is a case of 10 shows a year just not doing the source material justice.

You mean Drogon, right?

That's one interpretation. We are introduced to Stannis succumbing to Melisandre's influence, it's all downhill then for him. A four year arc that tells the story of Stannis Baratheon's downfall.

I think with the foreshadowing of a future meeting between the red witch and Arya combined with the way she bailed after hearing about Stannis's men deserting almost ensures she's got more influence on the end game here. If she has some influence yet, and Stannis really is dead, than we can view that arc in this way IMO.

Stannis's death isn't tripping me out. John's death is what's tripping me out. What's the point of his character with his death now? Other than to piss the audience off. He led the change at the wall to stop the wildlings from getting in. Then he let them in. Hes got a sword that only a few people at the wall even know matters. He sent sam away. John's death has almost no meaning. His story has had almost no influence on the world we see. At least with Stannis we can say we saw the deterioration of a man so focused on the crown is destroyed him and we still have the red witch part of the arc to carry it on some.

That sort of resignation is probably more true to life, but inexcusably shitty drama. The lack of resolution for Brienne is also cheap.

IMO this Stannis crap was just a way to lure Brianne away from her real mission to protect Sansa. Her lack of resolution might make sense in this context. She really dropped the ball here going after Stannis when it's pretty sure he would have died anyway.

Ted Striker

Neo Member
Well something better than an off camera kill. He deserved better than that.

Even Meryn fucking Trant got a better death.

I don't think it would do justice to a character that had already lost everything. Brienne cutting down Stannis empty shell would offer us nothing. But that is only my opinion.

Stannis was a fuck up who had his daughter burned alive at the stake. Why anyone mourns, much less admires, him is beyond me.

The Boltons have always had a big army.
Yeah I guess, but to outnumber them that much seemed.. I don't know bit out there? Weren't they going to stay back and defend? Roose just randomly changed his mind? Also, where did they get so many horses? :S

I think we may have needed 3-4 extra minutes to get the necessary exposition for Stannis' segments. That may have helped considerably and built suspense.
Viewership started high, declined steadily until episode 8, and then bumped up to plateau at last year's levels.

Each season had consistently higher viewership than the previous season until this one.
The first 4 episodes leaked and nothing mindblowing like the Purple Wedding happened there as well so it made sense why it started off slow.
These so called "families suck right". Targaryens-aerys stabbed by Kings guard. Rhaegar hammered to death by Robert baratheon. Varys gold melted head. Dany trapped by dothraki hoard alone .....Starks Ned head chopped off. Cat throat slit. Rob stark and wife stabbed to death and arrowed. Bran paralyzed. Rickon in hiding. Sansa rapes. Arya blind and Jon snow killed by his comrades. Greyjoy. Cock cut off. Lannisters. Tywin dead on shitter. Jamie has no hand. Geoffrey and Myrcella poisoned. Tyrion exiled. And cersei atonement thru kings landing. Baratheons Robert skewered by a boar. Renly killed by a wraith. Stannis killed after burning his daughter and wife hangs her self. Aryns-Jon gets poisoned and his wife gets thrown out of moon door. Marbells -ones crippled and oberyn gets head bashed in. Tyrell-ser loras thrown in jail for being gay and margery is throne in cell for lying about it........these people are terrible at playing this game.
Martells- Oberyn's sister's kids were smashed through the walls and then the Mountain raped her while he still had their blood. Also cut her in half after he was done (or broke her head before?) I don't know exactly.

Jon's death is just like Ned's death. Both tried to be honourable and just, only to be betrayed by those close to them.

Stannis... what did you want to see? His head rolling on the ground? Pools of blood? There's about a 0% chance Brienne would spare him. The fact he even hung around long enough to be killed by her is already more camera time than he deserved. Those two chumps should've taken him out.

Platy

So .. what is the consensus on Sansa ?

Is she dead ?

I mean ... the snow was melting no way someone survives that .... but the "not shown" was much more "maaaaaaaaaybe she survives" than stannis

Ted Striker

Neo Member
Stannis's death isn't tripping me out. John's death is what's tripping me out. What's the point of his character with his death now? Other than to piss the audience off. He led the change at the wall to stop the wildlings from getting in. Then he let them in. Hes got a sword that only a few people at the wall even know matters. He sent sam away. John's death has almost no meaning. His story has had almost no influence on the world we see. At least with Stannis we can say we saw the deterioration of a man so focused on the crown is destroyed him and we still have the red witch part of the arc to carry it on some.

If he's dead .

But even if he really died , it's perfectly in line with Game of thrones universe and lore . That everyone can die at every moment .

MikeyB

If I had written it, the focus would have been Brienne. She would be flipping bodies looking for Stannis. She finds him facedown, wounded on the ground (none of his two on one fighting earlier). They do their talking, he brings up his faith or the current lack of it (this deserves more play because he killed his damn daughter for it), she kills him, but it makes virtually no difference to the scene. He's almost in the same position she found him and dead only a bit sooner. She trudges away past the other bodies and looks through the woods to the castle where two figures are fleeing across the fields.

Edit: his story is deserving of a Greek tragedy all on its own, yet they dump the storyline (not him, I'm not upset that he's dead) with all the ceremony of a shart. Abrupt and ambiguous.

mxgt

Banned
Man this show is fucking depressing.

I was sure Brienne didn't kill Stannis because I couldn't think why they wouldn't show it, then I see the GoT site says he's dead. Why the fuck would he get an off screen death.

Who is there to even root for now that isn't stuck in the middle of nowhere without a hope in sight?

FeD.nL

Just caught the episode. That was a damn good finale, best one since season one for me. Like i'm excited for every loose end presented in this episode as opposed to some of the other finales where some things just weren't that interesting.

The scene with Stannis and Brienne was brilliant. There lies this man that had honor once, killed everyone that was ever close and lost his way.

Tyrion stepping up, damn that might be the highlight of the episode for me, him and Varys. So long has it been building up and now it is finally getting there, I mean from everyone in the show so far he has been the most cunning leader.

Enjoyed every second of this finale and that hasn't happened since season one. Great stuff. Overall I really liked this season, was of to a slower start but so much has happened if i'm just looking to the grander picture. Incredibly hyped for season 6, can't wait.

Raistlin

Hahaha What she was probably seeing was the aftermath of Littlefingers take over of Winter fall.

Point taken, could really have been the result of almost anything.

I was just offering a short-term answer given the characters near there. But yeah, could be further off.

Blader

Is that really a "better" death? It's a harsher one, for sure, but is it really apt for Stannis?

There's nothing else to say that wasn't already said with his last look/words. The despair and resignation is all right there.

And I don't know that Brienne should be shown to have a reaction to it either. She feels duty bound to execute Stannis, she's not there to savor it.

I thought Stannis' death was done well. I predicted his failure last week. So maybe I'm not as upset. I made total sense for it to happen this way. Had he gone in and won that battle, the death of his daughter would have been justified (you can't justify that) and Theon and Sansa would have been saved.

Meryn's death wasn't about Meryn. It was about Arya.

If he's dead .

But even if he really died , it's perfectly in line with Game of thrones universe and lore . That everyone can die at every moment .

Right I get that whole anyone at anytime thing, but I still feel like these OMG moments push the greater story forward. John dying does what exactly? Remove any and all reason to care about Castle Black? He sent Sam away before he died. There's literally nothing left there to care about anymore. AND he hasn't done much of anything to this point either. Everyone assumed plot armor until the stand off at the wall, but he ended out letting the wildlings in. Unless that was the entire point to his story.

Spacebar

Man this show is fucking depressing.

I was sure Brienne didn't kill Stannis because I couldn't think why they wouldn't show it, then I see the GoT site says he's dead. Why the fuck would he get an off screen death.

Who is there to even root for now that isn't stuck in the middle of nowhere without a hope in sight?

Probably to save money.

I've just realised who is at Castle Black that might have the ability to raise the dead (if the Lord of Light wishes it so): Melisandre.

With Stannis gone she's got to have a new champion.

Ted Striker

Neo Member
Enjoyed every second of this finale and that hasn't happened since season one. Great stuff. Overall I really liked this season, was of to a slower start but so much has happened if i'm just looking to the grander picture. Incredibly hyped for season 6, can't wait.

Agreed,i thought they could never do better than last season's finale , but they surpassed my expectations.

Ted Striker

Neo Member
Right I get that whole anyone at anytime thing, but I still feel like these OMG moments push the greater story forward. John dying does what exactly? Remove any and all reason to care about Castle Black? He sent Sam away before he died. There's literally nothing left there to care about anymore. AND he hasn't done much of anything to this point either. Everyone assumed plot armor until the stand off at the wall, but he ended out letting the wildlings in. Unless that was the entire point to his story.

It's a ten month long wait to find out.

Raynes

Can people stop obnoxiously freaking out when someone simply states that it sucks they were spoiled for some specific event that occurred on the show - regardless of where that spoiler came from?

These people are in no way citing details of any sort. They are simply stating they got spoiled on Jon's death ... after it happened on the show.

Fuck, people are taking this spoiler stuff to stupid levels

Never read a book before? The narratives are quite different from shows. I suggest you try books some time. Someone watching the show could have the impression that the show is misleading them on Jon's death, that there is more to it. Hearing that it happens in the books eliminates this suspicion to a certain degree, as they describe events more explicitly whilst a show is more ambiguous. People watching the show want to speculate about information exclusively from the show, no asshole here should have the right to take that away. And no I am not blowing this out of proportion, I've stuck with the show for 5 seasons, that's 50 hours of my life so my reaction is justified.
Please let me know if you would like me to break it down further for you, I know it can be tough to grasp for some, trivializing spoilers.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
This fucking show.

Only Tyrion+Varys left to root for. Can't even root for Dany because by the time she even gets over there, everyone I hate will probably already be dead.

Why does everybody assume Melissandre can raise the dead? Only person that has been able to do it has been Thoros of Mhyr. That drunken guy that was the Chewie to Beric's Han.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Never read a book before? The narratives are quite different from shows. I suggest you try books some time. Someone watching the show could have the impression that the show is misleading them on Jon's death, that there is more to it. Hearing that it happens in the books eliminates this suspicion to a certain degree, as they describe events more explicitly whilst a show is more ambiguous. People watching the show want to speculate about information exclusively from the show, no asshole here should have the right to take that away. And no I am not blowing this out of proportion, I've stuck with the show for 5 seasons, that's 50 hours of my life so my reaction is justified.
Please let me know if you would like me to break it down further for you, I know it can be tough to grasp for some, trivializing spoilers.

We're all in the same boat. However, you're over reacting. If someone says Jons stabbing was spoiled by book readers, so what? What information was spoiled for you at this point?

Blader

I wonder if Melisandre can get any blood magic done with the pool Jon's lying in

The wall is a mess now. There are no main characters at the wall anymore. So i guess it doesn't play an important role next year.

Or it gets smashed in by the White Walkers real quick.

So .. what is the consensus on Sansa ?

Is she dead ?

I mean ... the snow was melting no way someone survives that .... but the "not shown" was much more "maaaaaaaaaybe she survives" than stannis

Mentioned this a few times but again...

Bran fell out of a tower to the ground without snow, and lived.

Why does everybody assume Melissandre can raise the dead? Only person that has been able to do it has been Thoros of Mhyr. That drunken guy that was the Chewie to Beric's Han.

He heavily implied that the reason he could do that was that the Lord of Light wanted Beric to live real bad. Seems like they could pull the same thing with Melli and Jon. I don't think they will, but the precedent is there.

sangreal

I'm with you. Exactly how I felt hearing in this thread that
Jon died in the books

I think Jon is dead for good. This melissandre coming back is just writers trolling us leaving enough crumbs to make us hopeful of a Jon Targaryen ressurrection. All those dreams will be crushed by season 6 opening as we witness Jons skull get turned into a sippy cup for that bitch ass Olly.

sangreal

Well, and Qyburn. But yeah, Melisandre was shocked when she saw Thoros revive Beric

Oh, and the white walkers. #teamJonIce

Well, and Qyburn. But yeah, Melisandre was shocked when she saw Thoros revive Beric

Oh, and the white walkers. #teamJonIce
Wasn't that because she didn't think that the Lord of light had that kind of power or was it because someone as flippant with his beliefs as Thoros would have that kind of power?

Ted Striker

Neo Member
I'm with you. Exactly how I felt hearing in this thread that
Jon died in the books

A week ago , i was googling random GoT character names , looking for pictures of them , when i typed Jon Snow , one of the suggestions was
"John Snow dies"
. I was like WTF?

BSsBrolly

Banned
Read my post over again.

I think still think you're reading the situation in an ultra sensitive way. I haven't seen anything in this thread that suggests the book finalized Jons death as you seem to think people are saying. Just that the book had the same situation take place. As far as I know book readers have been having the same discussions about this situation as we are now. I have no clue if that's true, btw. I'm not a book reader and have been told to stay out of the other thread by others here.

Ferrio

Banned
Wasn't that because she didn't think that the Lord of light had that kind of power or was it because someone as flippant with his beliefs as Thoros would have that kind of power?

She may not know she has that power either. Maybe the potency of Jon's blood will allow her to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom