• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yeah, the Night's Watch has no role now that the Wildlings are on the other side and all that's left are the White Walkers in the north. I'm happy for the Night's Watch to get nuked out of existence now (though Davos and dare I say Melisandre must leave with Jon's corpse first ;))

The Night's Watch is doomed. Jon was the only one willing to do what needed to be done. Once the Walkers come knocking, Castle Black is in ruins.

Camwi

Yeah, the Night's Watch has no role now that the Wildlings are on the other side and all that's left are the White Walkers in the north. I'm happy for the Night's Watch to get nuked out of existence now (though Davos and dare I say Melisandre must leave with Jon's corpse first ;))

Yep, Davos needs to live. Don't know where he'll move on to, though.

The more I think about it, the more I really don't think Jon will stay dead.

The stare down with the Night King, his sword is one of the only that can kill White Walkers, and they really started getting into his lineage.

Either Melisandre brings him back or the Watch tries to burn his body and he gets reborn or some shit.

I'm pretty sure someone ends up stopping Brienne from killing Stannis. I noticed that right before she started her Renly speech, he kept looking behind her as if someone was there.

Noticed that as well.

There's no way Jon is dead. He's going to return a season or two later when the Whitewalkers come as a super badass Whitewalker and have an epic battle with zombie-Mountain and fully grown Drogo.

Gnome

There's no way Jon is dead. He's going to return a season or two later when the Whitewalkers come as a super badass Whitewalker and have an epic battle with zombie-Mountain and fully grown Drogo.
I know you mean Drogon, but man how I would want Khal Drogo to come back and fuck shit up.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Exactly, that's what I meant. Smooth sailing for them. Like no one cares about them and all of a sudden they're a big power. How did they even get that huge army with all those horses?
I thought Littlefinger may have had some plan that could mess things up for them, but no. He had no idea what he was doing.

The man she killed was much more deserving of death than the one they wanted her to kill. The many faced god is an asshole.
I'm wondering if the deserters from Stanis went over to the Boltons. They made a point of saying they took all the horses.

Now we just wait for them to kill of Tyrion and Varys and then I'm on #TeamWhiteWalker.

I hope everybody on the wall dies a painful death. Fucking cowards.

FUCK YOU OLLIE!

Vastag

Not sure if it counts as book spoilers or whatever, but is somebody able to say how close the books and show are now? Preferably in regards to the various characters. A PM would be appreciated if it is considered book spoilers.

I would also like to know this, if someone could PM me this without being horribly spoilery, it would be great.

Nikodemos

I can't see a resurrected Jon killing Olly. He simply isn't that type (just like Ned wasn't the type to have random trysts with serving wenches). Tormund on the other hand...

Vashetti

Banned
I'm pretty sure someone ends up stopping Brienne from killing Stannis. I noticed that right before she started her Renly speech, he kept looking behind her as if someone was there.

Pod will!

Pod stabs her in the back of the head just like he did to the kingsguard at Blackwater.

Noticed that as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168039785&postcount=15782

Sh1ner

Stannis last words... god damn. He didn't even quibble about Renly being second in line when Brienne said he was the rightful air to the throne.

I hope he is in season 6.

Opiate

Yes, I agree with those who say the most significant issue created by Jon's potential death is story progression.

Okay, let's say Jon is dead. Who will we follow on the wall in his stead? Sam isn't on the wall. Aemon is dead. There is no member of the night's watch left that we could feasibly have a story told from their perspective.

So the options are, to me, that Davos sticks around there for reasons, or that Jon is not dead, or that the Night's Watch just sort of disappears from the story, the last of which would really surprise me because the White Walkers have just become so central.

This is a serious question, just in case I'm missing someone: from whose perspective would the Wall segments be told from now?

Respect

I hope Ollie falls off the wall.

breaking-bad-high-five-o.gif

Can't say I didn't anticipate this happening, especially growing to like Jon Snow's character to much...hopefully he isn't dead. And Arya is blind now.../sigh

So the options are, to me, that Davos sticks around there for reasons,

Davos is the kind of guy who could be signing up for the Watch given that his king is dead, their war is lost and he has no more family. But on the other hand, don't think he would be thrilled about joining a group that killed Jon for having basically the same values as him.

Vashetti

Banned
Yes, I agree with those who say the most significant issue created by Jon's potential death is story progression.

Okay, let's say Jon is dead. Who will we follow on the wall in his stead? Sam isn't on the wall. Aemon is dead. There is no member of the night's watch left that we could feasibly have a story told from their perspective.

So the options are, to me, that Davos sticks around there for reasons, or that Jon is not dead, or that the Night's Watch just sort of disappears from the story, the last of which would really surprise me because the White Walkers have just become so central.

This is a serious question, just in case I'm missing someone: from whose perspective would the Wall segments be told from now?

They very purposefully ended Stannis' story and moved Davos and Mel to the Wall.

In fact Stannis' downfall in just two episodes was pretty crazy, he burned his daughter alive, his wife committed suicide, half his men deserted him, Melisandre deserted him, and he was killed outside Winterfell by Brienne.

Resurrection or not, I want to see the wall fall and think it would be quite fitting if the Watch shitting the bed played a role in it. I don't want the White Walker threat to be quelled before it's started, I want to see them rampaging through King's Landing.

Maybe the point is to have the story line at the wall wrap up and merge with the plots going on in Westeros. Maybe they don't want to film another battle at the wall, its been done after all, they'd rather skip that and have a battle on the other side.

woen

You have Davos and Millisandre. Sansa and Reek (with Brienne?) may head here to find the two little Stark. We could see the White Walkers perspective (haha). Or Jon Snow is not dead and is on the center of all of this.

There's definitely something weird with Jon's death and it's not something like Ned killed, the Red Wedding or Joffrey's murder which had a meaning in the story and how the characters are driven between locations.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I am a firm believe in strictly avoiding describing my problems with the show as "writing errors" as to not join the ranks of entitled yet unqualified douch-baggery.

But that SUCKED. HARD. Hard enough for my motivation to continue to be in question.

I mean, I no longer care what happens to the wall. The only thing I could find satisfaction in would be some colossal consequence to the actions of the brothers. Something along the lines of them being obliterated by the white walkers as quickly as Stannis's army fell.

Daenerys's capture doesn't personally interest me, and feels super regressive. Though I am minimally confident it will serve some purpose.

Ambiguity with the fate of Sansa and Theon feels like a hooking trope. Theon killing that woman is probably the only cool thing to happen in the episode.

That was more sad and depressing than I had anticipated (the building of Olly's vitriol this season was a red flag for me; I kept thinking to myself "Please don't let Jon die because of that little twerp. Even a death to a white walker after a brave fight would be preferable to that.")

My friend thinks it's a very real possibility that Jon Snow will be resurrected though; it's like some here are saying, why bring Melisandre back to the wall?

Carbonox

I know you mean Drogon, but man how I would want Khal Drogo to come back and fuck shit up.

I miss Drogo. :(

If Jon is coming back I think it is right away (season 6) and not sitting a season out.

I reckon season 6 will open with him opening his eyes. Either where he lays or where ever he's resurrected.

I can't see a resurrected Jon killing Olly. He simply isn't that type (just like Ned wasn't the type to have random trysts with serving wenches). Tormund on the other hand...

Man, if only Tormund and co was around :( I hope he finds out and gets some of his best remaining soldiers to tears the heads off of the Night's Watch.

I am a firm believe in strictly avoiding describing my problems with the show as "writing errors" as to not join the ranks of entitled yet unqualified douch-baggery.

But that SUCKED. HARD. Hard enough for my motivation to continue to be in question.

I mean, I no longer care what happens to the wall. The only thing I could find satisfaction in would be some colossal consequence to the actions of the brothers. Something along the lines of them being obliterated by the white walkers as quickly as Stannis's army fell.

Daenerys's capture doesn't personally interest me, and feels super regressive. Though I am minimally confident it will serve some purpose.

Ambiguity with the fate of Sansa and Theon feels like a hooking trope. Theon killing that woman is probably the only cool thing to happen in the episode.

This is my main issue with it all. Every time the show seems to be making some progress story wise, they kill somebody off.

Stannis having a massive army, destroying the army North of the wall, time to fuck shit up, just to die off like this.

Jon battling the Walkers, showing what a great leader he is, making steps to battle the Walkers in the future and maybe we'll finally learn something about his past. Dead.

Kelly-C ruling a city, with the help from Tyrion, having her dragon back just to fly off and get lost and captured by some Dorthraki.

We're walking in circles here. One step forward, two steps back every single fucking time.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
There's literally no one left to root for in Westeros except for Davos, Brienne and Sansa.

I am rooting for the white walkers at this point.

You guys need to think about this for a second. That intimidating hand raise at the beach shore with all the dead reviving was a massive rude awakening given this last episode. YO LISTEN HERE:

All we humans do is kill eachother, but more importantly, all we humans do is kill really attractive or fun characters. But not the walkers, oh no, they give life. They bring people back, they are the real heros.

The humans don't deserve Westeros. I think this show has finally pushed me so far down the rabbit hole that I have lost my mind. fuck humanity

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Alright. Just watched the season finale. Eh. Same with the many people on this thread, we knew something was going to happen to Jon Snow just because he's a "hero."

Not sure how different everything is from the books, but this shit is kinda annoying by now. "Oh, look, there's a hero that you might like?" -- Kill 'em off! It's gotten so that you know it's going to happen. Yes, we get it, GoT isn't for happy ending folk and whatnot, but you need a central character people can related to (and want to relate) to for the "hook."

Assuming Snow doesn't come back (I admit, Melissandre immediately sprung to mind on doing her fire voodoo -- convenient she's back there, no), who have we got left? Jaimie?

Arya is blind, Sansa is still a sacking, whiny sack of nothing, Bran is going to some weird magical thing with Hodor and who else? Gendry? Yeah, show him not rowing and we might have something.

We don't have anyone left, really. Daenrys getting abducted is the plot moving backwards (I think), but I'll reserve judgement until I see it. You'd think Drogon would do something but NOOO. Save your dragon mother from an army of weirdos, but leave the savages to corner her. And I honestly think this doesn't happen, but what's the over and under of Dany getting raped? Clearly worked when they did it for Sansa (ratings!!!), right?

Just kinda bummed out at this point since plot is moving slow (except for the big battle), the only good anchor we have (Snow) might be dead or be bought back as some fire zombie is kinda inane and that's pretty much it.

Man, I haven't started the latest season of The Walking Dead, but I might just to perk me up and have actual characters I want to root for.

Oh, I am liking that "Cersei is going to fuck every Sparrow up" thing they've hinted at. I felt sorry for her. She's an ass, but that fanatic cult leader is an asshole, too. He needs to go. But knowing this show, they'll give him a castle, and plot armor.

This is my main issue with it all. Every time the show seems to be making some progress story wise, they kill somebody off.

Stab is having a massive army, destroying the army North of the wall, time to fuck shit up, just to die off liket this.

Jon battling the Walkers, showing what a great leader he is, making steps to battle the Walkers in the future and maybe we'll finally learn something about his past. Dead.

Kelly-C ruling a city, with the help from Tyrion, having her dragon back just to fly off and get lost and captured by some Dorthraki.

We're walking in circles here. One step forward, two steps back every single fucking time.

Agreed! It's like we're walking in circles with no clear goal. Fuck it. Let's hope the White Walkers tear shit up. But of course, the moment we do want to see that, they'll kill them all and melt the ice babies just to drive home the point even harder.

LosDaddie

Banned
I need to watch the finale again. I didn't like it too much. But I was tired by the time the family went to bed so I could watch it. I had to rewind it a few times because I dozed off.

Still, this season was awesome. It's GoT. So I knew Jon was going to die. They made him into a too likeable of a character to survive.

The Lord of Light has a lot of bark but not much bite. After Shireen's sacrifice, he couldn't even give Stannis victory over the Boltons. Only thawing of the ice.

Might as well had gone back to using the leeches, MelMel. at least they worked Joff off the stage. :> The red witch looking so stupid right now :>

Maybe the Lord of Light blew his load early XD

Roussow

So I thought that Cersei scene was incredibly powerful and extremely tough to watch. But I noticed some people were complaining about the CGI/Body double looking bad. I don't want this to come across as pervy at all, I really just like seeing details in the film making process (as an aspiring film maker myself). Outside of the fact that Lena Heady has done plenty of nude scenes in other films and people recognize that her body looked different -- did anyone actually see some janky edits or post production trickery that came across as unconvincing?

Crispy75

I reckon season 6 will open with him opening his eyes. Either where he lays or where ever he's resurrected.

It'll happen as the flames rise up around him on the pyre, with Melly in the background putting her magic into it.

"And now his watch is ended"
eyes open
Roll credits

Pooya

Stannis is dead, no coming back. The character is done, he killed off his family and all of his men, come back to do what now?

Gods of westeros all suck

There's literally no one left to root for in Westeros except for Davos, Brienne and Sansa.

Jaime! 4lyfe

Opiate

The only issue I have with Dany is that we have two seasons left.

Okay, she's captured. How long will that plot line be? Let's be generous and assume she's back in the saddle (so to speak) in five episodes. That leaves her a season and a half to get to westeros and establish herself.

There just isn't much time left. A lot of other plot lines feel like they're clearly winding towards conclusion within 2 more seasons, but not hers.

Roussow

Stannis is dead, no coming back. The character is done, he killed off his family and all of his men, come back to do what now?

Then why edit the scene like that. That just seem's like a bad call. Don't show Stannis die up close, don't make it too gratuitous -- but shoot it really wide, so you can see alot of ground (with corpses) in the foreground, the top of the shot as high as the trees, and the center/right of the frame have Brienne cleave off Stannis' head, and have her wipe her sword, sheathe it and walk (Or have Pod take it from her as they leave), then just hold the shot on the stillness of the battlefield with Stannis corpse among his many dead comrades -- Completely still, It would have been very haunting, It would have been a tad like when Ned decapitated the deserter in the pilot, except without cutting to a closeup of Bran. Hold that still shot for like 10 seconds, then cut to the Ramsey scene. I think that simple change (If Stannis is dead) would have made the seen better, because otherwise I'm extremely unsatisfied with how the wrapped up the arc.

d58e7

I think it was a good season closer. They setup some storylines for next season and left people wanting to see the outcomes.

My speculation:

I really liked that episode, but I agree with what someone said about Stannis not being dead. This show usually shows the death scene for it's major characters, why would they cut away with Stannis.

I don't know if I have to tag this but it is a popular fan theory mixed with speculation.

What if they confirm the R+J=S theory by having the Night's watch trying to burn his body only to have it be immune to the flames. This in turn makes Melisandra revive him because she knows he is special.

I really hope that character isn't gone.

Then why edit the scene like that. That just seem's like a bad call. Don't show Stannis die up close, don't make it too gratuitous -- but shoot it really wide, so you can see alot of ground (with corpses) in the foreground, the top of the shot as high as the trees, and the center/right of the frame have Brienne cleave off Stannis' head, and have her wipe her sword, sheathe it and walk (Or have Pod take it from her as they leave), then just hold the shot on the stillness of the battlefield with Stannis corpse among his many dead comrades -- Completely still, It would have been very haunting, It would have been a tad like when Ned decapitated the deserter in the pilot, except without cutting to a closeup of Bran. Hold that still shot for like 10 seconds, then cut to the Ramsey scene. I think that simple change (If Stannis is dead) would have made the seen better, because otherwise I'm extremely unsatisfied with how the wrapped up the arc.

They fucked up, simple as that.

Stannis is dead, but they wanted a clever cut/edit and mucked everything up

I think it was a good season closer. They setup some storylines for next season and left people wanting to see the outcomes.

My speculation:

I really liked that episode, but I agree with what someone said about Stannis not being dead. This show usually shows the death scene for it's major characters, why would they cut away with Stannis.

I don't know if I have to tag this but it is a popular fan theory mixed with speculation.

What if they confirm the R+J=S theory by having the Night's watch trying to burn his body only to have it be immune to the flames. This in turn makes Melisandra revive him because she knows he is special.

I really hope that character isn't gone.

Jon already burnt his hand defending the Lord Commander from a zed. He's not immune to fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom