• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lord of Light has a lot of bark but not much bite. After Shireen's sacrifice, he couldn't even give Stannis victory over the Boltons. Only thawing of the ice.

Might as well had gone back to using the leeches, MelMel. at least they worked Joff off the stage. :> The red witch looking so stupid right now :>

Maybe the Lord of Light blew his load early XD

Honestly, I think that is specifically because melting the ice is all they asked the lord of light do to. She didn't ask to be given victory because she saw the burning Bolton banners and said 'that's our victory, we just have to get there'

It's kind a cool thing about her character and what a myopic horse's ass she is. She's interpreting these signs backwards in a logically flawed way. She can only she so much or only certain things and the rest is her putting her spin on it.

She said 'I see a great battle in the snow' and 'I see burning Bolton banners' and just puts the two together in a way that wasn't made clear to her.

She wanted melting ice so they could get to the battle in the snow. Well, she got exactly that.

I really hope she gets drunk next season and whines a bit about her failure and talks about just what the heck convinced her that Stannis was her champion. I think we'll see the same thing - her vision was open to great interpretation and she just went with it.

aravuus

this should be roughly right. dont like seeing this thread pop up in my subscribed list knowing how long we have to wait. until next year!

i expect you to be there jon snow you hear me ;_:

t1460178000z4.png

Seems about the right amount of time I'm gonna need to get that bitter season 5 taste out of my mouth and maybe get excited for a new GoT season again

Loakum

Banned
In retrospect the S5 trailers were crazy, we knew from the offset that Dany and her crew would be surrounded in the fighting pits.

Selyse distraught on the ground was from Shireen's burning. All the fighting scenes at Hardhome.

Sansa in Winterfell.

Also Greyworm not dying got spoiled in the promo trailer.

Myrcella dying on the boat was dumb. Why couldn't Jaime simply turn the ship around? Prince Doran is a reasonable man. He does not need to pay the price for Ellaria's stupidity. Unfortunately, he's gonna get his head rolled by the Kingsguard for slaying the King's sister and Sand Snakes are gonna get away with it.

1. If he turns the ship around, what is he going back for? She's dead. If its revenge he wants, it would be better to come back in force.

2. He doesn't know exactly how reasonable Prince Doran is. He doesn't know that it was Ellaria for sure that poisined her, and that Doran had nothing to do with it.

i'm guessing that mellisandre thinking that stannis was the champion was incorrect and it's actually jon that is the champion. stannis was meant to have 'lightbringer', the fabled sword... but it's jon that has a sword that can fight the white walkers.
eh i dunno', i just can't come to grips that he's dead.

My new theory. Ridiculous, but what the hell.

Meli is a vessel for the God of Darkness unbeknownst to who she's been praying to, not R'hllor. Her visions of Stannis are true, only that he's is to be a King in the WW army and the only reason they've been burning everyone is because it's the God she believes she is serving, not the one that she really is.

Stannis is dead, but he is still meant to be a king just as Meli saw in the flames, but of White Walkers. Him and his army reanimate in the fields of Winterfell and set forth to destroy the Bolton's and the Wildlings. His ships were even used to bring a horde of recruits over the wall, once the army comes back to life they will not only attack the Bolton's but the Wildlings as well.

It's why Stannis needed a glove to pick up the flaming sword. If he was the Light bringer he shouldn't have had to use a glove to pick up a sword that is supposed to be bound to him. More so, he was defeated in King's Landing, but not because Meli wasn't there, but because they used Wild Fire, his true enemy.

Melisandre is never cold, just think about that for a moment. There is no one else who doesn't get cold in that universe other than her and the WW. Meli might even be thinking she is speaking to the Lord of Light, when in fact it's the God of Darkness. They've spoken about the great battle in the snow many times.

We know nothing about how the White Walkers became WW, they could in fact be fallen kings and Stannis is of Kings blood.

sangreal

Myrcella dying on the boat was funny because of how much bitching there was that the Bronn poison stuff was pointless and only done for nudity -- yet it was really to explain the mechanics of the poison for Myrcella's assassination

I'm over with the killing off of the characters that I like. To keep me going, my crazy theory is that all of the great characters that they've killed off will come back to life in another form (something similar to the windwalkers) and go head-to-head against the windwalkers. The fate of that final battle will be the end of the story.

Not going to happen but that is my sliver of hope that my favorite characters return and kick some ass.

Myrcella dying on the boat was funny because of how much bitching there was that the Bronn poison stuff was pointless and only done for nudity -- yet it was really to explain the mechanics of the poison for Myrcella's assassination

They should have assassinated Myrcella with a pair of tits and just saved the time.

It's 'cause she's smoking hot!

Interesting theory, but the leader of the WW has already been established.

LOL damn right she is!

But I'm not saying he will be the leader of the WW army as a whole, only the one south of the wall, his fallen soldiers. The WW have more than one leader, we don't know if the others on horses are kings or not.

I'm pretty sure White Walkers procreate normally or steal live humans to convert. A reanimated ghoul Stannis would posses none of the leadership, cunning or fortitude of his former self, let a lone a White Walker general.

Right, but my point is that we have no idea how the WW become WW, that was never established and it's why I said for all we know they could be fallen kings. In which case Stannis kind of is, at least through bloodline.

Jacob4815

Why has the "first Jaqen" got Arya's face? Couldn't they just wear the faces of those who died in the temple (whose faces are available in the hall) ?

Zeliard

Right, but my point is that we have no idea how the WW become WW, that was never established and it's why I said for all we know they could be fallen kings. In which case Stannis kind of is, at least through bloodline.

Well, it doesn't appear possible to turn a dead person into a White Walker. The only person we've ever seen turned is a living baby, and we've seen what the WW do with the dead.

It stands to reason that they need a living person - possibly one of only a certain age - to create a White Walker. It's possible only babies work for that purpose since that's what they keep demanding as a "sacrifice."

Why has the "first Jaqen" got Arya's face? Couldn't they just wear the faces of those who died in the temple (whose faces are available in the hall) ?

Yeah there's a few problems there. Arya had to put the face back in the temple, which leads me to believe that you actually to have to have physical possesion of the face to become that person. So why did Jaqen have like 5-6 different faces on, including Arya's, when Ayra was also wearing her face? So many things wrong there.

Well, it doesn't appear possible to turn a dead person into a White Walker. The only person we've ever seen turned is a living baby, and we've seen what the WW do with the dead.

It stands to reason that they need a living person - possibly one of only a certain age - to create a White Walker. It's possible only babies work for that purpose since that's what they keep demanding as a "sacrifice."

We really have no idea what happened to that baby other than it was turned into either a White Walker, or just another Wight since they all have blue eyes.

Even the White Walkers, the kings/leaders/generals are decomposed so it's impossible to tell if they were living before turning.

Also, the sacrifice bit could just be bullshit so Craster could keep banging his daughters.

Hesemonni

Banned
I'd love to find an interview how the actors experienced the Walk of Shame. I'd imagine to be tough no matter it being just a role.

We really have no idea what happened to that baby other than it was turned into either a White Walker, or just another Wight since they all have blue eyes.

Even the White Walkers, the kings/leaders/generals are decomposed so it's impossible to tell if they were living before turning.

Also, the sacrifice bit could just be bullshit so Craster could keep banging his daughters.

Really? I know they have sunken faces and heavily creased skin, but they always appear to be in one piece. I've never seen a WW with missing parts or anything.

Zeliard

I really don't think that scene was meant to be all that ambiguous. The baby was alive when he was turned, and we clearly saw how the WW's leader creates Wights - he raises the dead, and there's no touching involved. And there's a pronounced difference between the White Walkers and the Wights even just in appearance - the latter are far more decomposing, zombie-like entities, which makes some level of sense since they are the reanimated dead.

We have no idea how the leader actually turns babies into WW - other than magicks - nor why the candidates seemingly need to be at a very young age. We also don't know if he's the only one with the power to create White Walkers and raise the dead. But that he turns explicitly living people into White Walkers and explicitly dead people into Wights seems pretty clear at this point.

Curufinwe

Why wait and see what happens in the rest of the season when you can get indignant and make angry complaints on the internet right now?

Really? I know they have sunken faces and heavily creased skin, but they always appear to be in one piece. I've never seen a WW with missing parts or anything.

the latter are far more decomposing, zombie-like entities, which makes some level of sense since they are the reanimated dead

One of these reanimated without the presence of a WW, and that is the dude from Benjen's rangers who reanimated on his own, at The Wall.

They look nothing like Zombies, other than some blood and a bit of bruising. They look more human than the WW themselves.

Which brings me back to my point is that we don't know for certain what the requirements are. We don't even know where they came from other than that it happened during the last great Winter and that they came from the North. Stannis is in the North, during the new current Winter. The White Walkers themselves could have been fallen kings and leaders that died during winter from starvation and sickness even.

AkuMifune

Banned
The dude got his eyes stabbed out, chest stabbed and throat cut in a slow fashion.

He was not in the least bit scared
To be mashed into a pulp
Or to have his eyes gouged out
And his elbows broken
To have his kneecaps split
And his body burned away
And his limbs all hacked and mangled
Brave Sir Robin

Zeliard

The Hardhome episode clearly delineates the difference between White Walkers and Wights. I really don't know what there is to say.

The Wights are the raised dead, and yes, they'll be at varying stages of decomposition; contrast Skeleton Kid in Hardhome to the ones you posted:

wightkidflpa5.jpg

And then look at the White Walker leader:

game-thrones-season-517oo7.png

Not seeing any difference there? The Wights are much more your classic zombies (and they're called "Wights," so...). The White Walkers are a more alien-like, bizarre (potential) offshoot of humanity.

There are still plenty of mysteries surrounding them, certainly, but they've already given us clear depictions of what they can do and I think we can safely take those at face value.

mokeyjoe

Yeah there's a few problems there. Arya had to put the face back in the temple, which leads me to believe that you actually to have to have physical possesion of the face to become that person. So why did Jaqen have like 5-6 different faces on, including Arya's, when Ayra was also wearing her face? So many things wrong there.

Maybe once you level up enough you just become a shapeshifter.

The Hardhome episode clearly delineates the difference between White Walkers and Wights. I really don't know what there is to say.

You're using extremes, that's why I specifically showed 3 images of wights that look more human than the White Walkers themselves.

What difference is there? Because he's in uniform, fine, he's established himself and moved up the ranks. What about the WW from earlier seasons, what makes him stand out? Is it his long illustrious hair? lol Of course they're going to make the leaders look more like, well, leaders. That's why Darth Vader looks like menacing Darth Vader and not some random dude.

But that doesn't prove that what I'm saying is wrong, that Stannis himself could reanimate into a leader of the wights. Did you notice I said my theory was ridiculous? lol I find it hard to believe but, it's 100% conceivable and there is nothing that the show has given us that could prove the theory wrong.

Cyan

Banned
But that doesn't prove that what I'm saying is wrong, that Stannis himself could reanimate into a leader of the wights. Did you notice I said my theory was ridiculous? lol I find it hard to believe but, it's 100% conceivable and there is nothing that the show has given us that could prove the theory wrong.

Competing theory: Melisandre uses her magic to bring Stannis back to life and then turns him into a baby. Then she takes him up to the wall and he gets turned into a white walker.

What's up now zeliard.

Ovid

I really don't think that scene was meant to be all that ambiguous. The baby was alive when he was turned, and we clearly saw how the WW's leader creates Wights - he raises the dead, and there's no touching involved. And there's a pronounced difference between the White Walkers and the Wights even just in appearance - the latter are far more decomposing, zombie-like entities, which makes some level of sense since they are the reanimated dead.

We have no idea how the leader actually turns babies into WW - other than magicks - nor why the candidates seemingly need to be at a very young age. We also don't know if he's the only one with the power to create White Walkers and raise the dead. But that he turns explicitly living people into White Walkers and explicitly dead people into Wights seems pretty clear at this point.

I think the baby has significance. I think the Night's King turns the male babies from Craster's Keep into his generals.

I hope I'm not wrong and look like a fool in a couple of years here's what I think:

Benjen Stark (notice his hair style)

Here is one of the Night King's generals returning to the Nightfort with Craster's baby (S4 E4):
aIadtFm.png

They have the same hairstyle!!!

MY THEORY:
Either Benjen Stark involuntarily turned to the dark side OR he has been playing us the entire time. Sound far fetched? Nope...take a look at this video from the GoT lore on the S2 Blu-Ray: The History of the Night's Watch (Ygritte)

This wouldnt be the first time a crow switched sides. The first Night's King was a crow!!!

Vashetti

Banned
I'm now petrified that Winds of Winter comes out before season 6. Nothing against the book readers, but it's game over for us spoiler-wise if that happens :(

Uh, why? The current five books have been out for years now.

All that information is readily available should you wish to seek it.

demolitio

I don't need a fake credits picture to give me comfort when Sam gave us plenty of foreshadowing already: "Don't worry, he always comes back..."

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Ahahahahaha @ the cgi on the walk scene. So bad.

Also, what a disappointing finale. Caps off a disappointing season.

Did they kill him off because he's in movies or something? I'm sure his death was different in the book?

You're using extremes, that's why I specifically showed 3 images of wights that look more human than the White Walkers themselves.

What difference is there? Because he's in uniform, fine, he's established himself and moved up the ranks. What about the WW from earlier seasons, what makes him stand out? Is it his long illustrious hair? lol Of course they're going to make the leaders look more like, well, leaders. That's why Darth Vader looks like menacing Darth Vader and not some random dude.

One of the pictures you showed was of a woman who died moments before. Why would you expect her to be all decomposed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom