• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But she convinced Stannis to lead his army to The Wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuSjW_aTPtY&list=LLdBbwGZk4Rovkb7o-I_qPAQ&index=1

She doesn't know what's exactly going to happen because the Lord of Light only gives her glimpses.

And in return what happened because of that? 500 men on The Wall survived, but a hundred thousand that could have been a power force against the WW were divided because Mance was killed at the command and flame of Stannis and Meli.

Also, I think you're missing my point, I don't think she's intentionally trying to fuck anyone over, I think she truly wants to defeat the WW but she is under the assumption that she is serving the Lord of Light when she's actually serving the God of Darkness.

Important? No. Noticeable? Yes. It's been a part of the show/story since the start. Just trying to figure out if it's been intentional, and if so, why.

ohhh i havent noticed it :x

if it is true, maybe the show just had gotten very mainstream now? larger audience usually pushes standards towards the middle of the road approach.

I think the walk of shame single handily elevates this season to #1 in the skin time on screen category.

Ha. Lots of time until next season. Maybe if I'm bored I'll time the on screen nudity for each season and where they rank. I would think season 1 would be ranked first though.

ohhh i havent noticed it :x

if it is true, maybe the show just had gotten very mainstream now? larger audience usually pushes standards towards the middle of the road approach.

If that's the case, it's a shame.

RDreamer

Important? No. Noticeable? Yes. It's been a part of the show/story since the start. Just trying to figure out if it's been intentional, and if so, why.

Probably a few reasons. I know this thread isn't supposed to talk about the books, and I don't actually know much bout them, but I do know that this season for the most part is truncating two large books. When you do that you lose some time you can dedicate to "fluff" scenes and sexposition sort of stuff. On top of that some of the higher profile actors/actresses are now even higher profile than when they started and don't want to be nude anymore. That's why Dany hasn't been.

And then there may be a deliberate choice for less of that this season in order to make the walk that happened in the finale more impactful. I suspect that's the reason we didn't see any Cersei nudity in any other season, too.

Who

Banned
LOL damn right she is!

But I'm not saying he will be the leader of the WW army as a whole, only the one south of the wall, his fallen soldiers. The WW have more than one leader, we don't know if the others on horses are kings or not.

Right, but my point is that we have no idea how the WW become WW, that was never established and it's why I said for all we know they could be fallen kings. In which case Stannis kind of is, at least through bloodline.

I thought it was established that WW become WW from human baby sacrifices. Like Castors incest bastards.

Probably a few reasons. I know this thread isn't supposed to talk about the books, and I don't actually know much bout them, but I do know that this season for the most part is truncating two large books. When you do that you lose some time you can dedicate to "fluff" scenes and sexposition sort of stuff. On top of that some of the higher profile actors/actresses are now even higher profile than when they started and don't want to be nude anymore. That's why Dany hasn't been.

And then there may be a deliberate choice for less of that this season in order to make the walk that happened in the finale more impactful. I suspect that's the reason we didn't see any Cersei nudity in any other season, too.

That brothel in Bravos... It's again one of those things that breaks the immersion.

Javaman

Stannis should have burned the watchmen that allowed his supplies to get burned instead of hanging them. His daughter would still be alive and he would have had a fighting chance on the field

Talk about a terrible general though. Even if he did have 2x the men he would have still been butchered during the siege. Fortified people are worth 10 times the lives of the attackers iirc.

Stannis should have burned the watchmen that allowed his supplies to get burned instead of hanging them. His daughter would still be alive and he would have had a fighting chance on the field.

King's blood.

It was incredibly noticeable. It was distracting as hell.

Agreed. It took me competely out of it and the scene didn't have nearly the impact it should have had. They should have skipped full frontal shots.

Sajjaja

Stannis should have burned the watchmen that allowed his supplies to get burned instead of hanging them. His daughter would still be alive and he would have had a fighting chance on the field

Talk about a terrible general though. Even if he did have 2x the men he would have still been butchered during the siege. Fortified people are worth 10 times the lives of the attackers iirc.

Stannis burnt his daughter because she had king's blood. Burning watchmen wouldn't have mattered.

At that point, he lost his mind and was delusional and irrational. He needed Davos by his side to talk sense into him, but his hard headedness already sent him off.

I thought it was established that WW become WW from human baby sacrifices. Like Castors incest bastards.

It was never established as that. We just seen a WW turn the baby into either a WW or a Wight, but since they both have blue eyes, how can we tell? As far as Craster goes, it could have been his BS excuse just so he could keep banging his daughters.

Also, see this post from Tarius1210 about the first Night King and Benjen Stark.

demolitio

Am I the only one that doesn't think Stannis is dead or something. Everyone I know thinks he's dead and I've seen plenty of people list him as another dead character (despite us never seeing him die which is an age old rule), but what Stannis said to Brienne struck a chord with her.

"Do your duty" or something like that. Two people that live by what they consider their duties through different means. Brienne tries to do it through honor while Stannis will do his duty through any means necessary because he feels like it HAS to be done, right or wrong from our perspective. Brienne wants to kill him, but is there really honor in cutting him down like that instead of taking him prisoner or whatever when she realizes he was doing his duty to the kingdom despite being on different sides?

I definitely don't think Jon is done since I think he's a huge part of the prophecy so maybe I'm just crazy, but I did manage to read into some foreshadowing last season and I think Sam's line about Jon always coming back was foreshadowing as well.

Doesn't feel as good to try and figure this shit out now compared to predicting Tywin's death last season. That one was exciting at least, despite me liking his character.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It was never established as that. We just seen a WW turn the baby into either a WW or a Wight, but since they both have blue eyes, how can we tell?

I mean, it's pretty obvious.

A White Walker isn't going to travel that far to get a baby, take it back to the Night King, offer it up just to make a Wight. Then there's the fact that people need to die to be turned into Wights and that they don't age once they get turned. What good is a baby Wight to them?

It's pretty clear that that whole scene was there to introduce you to the Knight King and to show you how the White Walkers are created.

A White Walker isn't going to travel that far to get a baby, take it back to the Night King, offer it up just to make a Wight. Then there's the fact that people need to die to be turned into Wights and that they don't age once they get turned. What good is a baby Wight to them?

It's pretty clear that that whole scene was there to introduce you to the Knight King and to show you how the White Walkers are created.

Fair enough, if they remain the same once they turn into wights then a baby would definitely be useless. But that doesn't mean that an adult can't turn into a WW, or that a WW can't be reanimated from a fallen king or adult. Just like the S2 lore video in the post I linked, the first Nights King was a crow according to Wildling theory.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Stannis is dead or something.

Nah man...he's dead.

stannis_zpsgzclkbod.jpg

I'm so confused why people think he's still alive. Breanne was Renley's kings guard, loved him (in love with?) and was present when he was murdered. Why would she have second thoughts after all this time swearing to avenge Renley's death.

Stannis has nothing left to add to the story.

Disgraced

Am I the only one that doesn't think Stannis is dead or something. Everyone I know thinks he's dead and I've seen plenty of people list him as another dead character (despite us never seeing him die which is an age old rule), but what Stannis said to Brienne struck a chord with her.

"Do your duty" or something like that. Two people that live by what they consider their duties through different means. Brienne tries to do it through honor while Stannis will do his duty through any means necessary because he feels like it HAS to be done, right or wrong from our perspective. Brienne wants to kill him, but is there really honor in cutting him down like that instead of taking him prisoner or whatever when she realizes he was doing his duty to the kingdom despite being on different sides?

I definitely don't think Jon is done since I think he's a huge part of the prophecy so maybe I'm just crazy, but I did manage to read into some foreshadowing last season and I think Sam's line about Jon always coming back was foreshadowing as well.

Doesn't feel as good to try and figure this shit out now compared to predicting Tywin's death last season. That one was exciting at least, despite me liking his character.
I'm with you. Whenever there's a death off-camera there's good cause to be suspicious, no matter what. Brienne could be taking him as prisoner to Winterfell, which might make an opportunity for her to access the keep, where she thinks Sansa is.
'Less Melly's prophecies are still somehow true.

Stannis ain't dead.

Brienne swore an oath to Catelyn, to keep what's her face safe, and she needs the Mannis to carry it out.

A broken man with no army, no family, no honor, no trust, no faith, and no magic. Why exactly does she need him?

'Less Melly's prophecies are still somehow true.

Reminds me of when I was a kid.

"I'm going to beat you up!"

"Oh yeah? You and what army?"

Ovid

It was established that they travel for the male babies here:
https://youtu.be/XflLYW-t2Z4

and here:
https://youtu.be/MrJTzXfIuV4

Also, how do you know that the babies don't age once turned? I think the 12 figures behind the Night's King at the Nightfort are those babies as adults.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It was established that they travel for the male babies here:
https://youtu.be/XflLYW-t2Z4

and here:
https://youtu.be/MrJTzXfIuV4

Also, how do you know that the babies don't age once turned? I think the 12 figures behind the Night King at the Nightfort are those babies as adults.

I said they wouldn't travel just so the Night King could get one Wight but they would for a White Walker.

And I was saying Wights don't age so it's clear that the baby was being turned into a White Walker and not into a Wight since there's no use for a baby Wight.

Disgraced

Aw fuck, man. I feel so spoiled--no, the other spoiled, because I'm LTTP with Thrones and I watched seasons 1-4 in like a month, and hopped in on track with S5, and now I'm just aching already waiting for the next season and aching wondering if Jon's gonna get resurrected. This sucks. Everything sucks.

Ovid

I said they wouldn't travel just so the Night King could get one Wight but they would for a White Walker.

And I was saying Wights don't age so it's clear that the baby was being turned into a White Walker and not into a Wight since there's no use for a baby Wight.
My bad.

Nyx

Watched EP10 last night, well....

Now I really have no idea what's going to happen in the final seasons and I have no one to root for anymore, maybe Brienne or the Stark kids, but who else?

Jon probably will get back somehow but fuck that Allister, Olly and the whole damn Night's Watch or at least the part who wanted Jon dead.

The best moment of the finale for me was when Reek finally went Theon again and pushed that scary chick off the wall. Heck, maybe I can root for Theon next season but on the other hand he betrayed the Starks earlier in the show so fuck him too.

While the last EP's of this season had some great moments I do feel that this one was the worst of the five, but a rewatch in the future might change that.

Sande

If she knew what Olly did...
And if Olly actually had had a say in Jon's fate. Yeah, he betrayed him but if he hadn't Jon would have been whacked some other way. He's way less responsible for what happened than Alliser Thorne or anyone else involved.

Kozak

Banned
And if Olly actually had had a say in Jon's fate. Yeah, he betrayed him but if he hadn't Jon would have been whacked some other way. He's way less responsible for what happened than Alliser Thorne or anyone else involved.

Yeah he couldn't have told Jon that certain Night's Watchmen, including himself, were planning to mutiny.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Olly could have warned him. He could have told Jon to bring Longclaw. Olly is just as guilty as everyone else who stabbed Jon.

demolitio

Nah man...he's dead.

I'm so confused why people think he's still alive. Breanne was Renley's kings guard, loved him (in love with?) and was present when he was murdered. Why would she have second thoughts after all this time swearing to avenge Renley's death.

She left her "duty" to seek revenge and him saying that reminded her of what she's there for. Maybe she sees Stannis as the best way to get Sansa back.

He very well could be dead, but it's not something you can say with 100% certainty unless they come out and say otherwise (but they also said that about Jon and we all know that's not true) because they didn't show it in a show that makes you question everything.

We've seen plenty of gruesome scenes, but they stray away from one that some people would've enjoyed after his latest fuck-ups.

Walpurgis

Banned
I can't believe that I am saying this but wow that was not a good season finale. It was definitely the worst. What was the point in Jamie + Bronn this season? I can only imagine it would make the Lannisters mad at Dorne but I am not too worried about the Dorne king considering the state of King's Landing so that whole plotline seemed pointless. The Oberyn's wife poisoning the Lannister girl with the kiss was obvious, I kind of wish they didn't try to act like it was such a surprise.

Arya has finally gotten somewhere after an entire season of selling cockles. Danerys is about to get gang raped by Drogo's cousins while her retarded piece of shit dragon sleeps like a baby on the hill above. Tyrion, Grey Worm, multilingual girl and Varys are left to take care of Mereen and we see nothing of the aftermath of the slaver attack at the colosseum.

No clue why Sansa was being hunted by the Boltons and no clue where she's going now. Couldn't tell shit because of the stupid cut, did Brienne kill Stannis or will we magically see his ugly mug next season?

John Snow's death didn't feel right to me. I guess it was a result of his actions but for some reason, I didn't react as strongly as Ned Stark, Red Wedding, Shireen and even Joffrey. I'm not sure if this is because the rest of the episode killed my mood or if there was something wrong with that scene.

I could tell that this was an inbetween season from the other episodes and even though Game of Thrones has never had an inbetween season, I really enjoyed this season overall. I guess it was because of the promise of what was to come. This finale had some pretty hype moments but overall fell flat for me because it didn't feel like a finale, it felt like a set up for one.

Enco

When you stab someone to death, you're pretty responsible for it.

demolitio

Especially when you're the one that lures them there.

And he was the one they were giving us hints about throughout the season. We knew he was going to betray him somehow, but this? Fuck him.

On the third day, Jon will rise again to take the wildling army to Winterfell and say fuck you to the Night's Watch.

Someone had an interesting theory about the wall's magic defense White Walkers being gone now because the Night's Watch betrayed their Lord Commander and broke their oaths. Now the White Walkers can actually attack.

Either that or the magic was fueled by the faith in the old gods and because that's dwindled (with the major houses that believed in them getting fucked up basically), the wall can't stop them anymore.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Nah man...he's dead.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l516/DeathByBacklog/stannis_zpsgzclkbod.jpg

Stannis has nothing left to add to the story.[/QUOTE]

Breanna raises her sword... cut to black.

Next season: fade in, oh snap, Roose Bolton is behind her -clonk. Six episodes of Ramsay flaying Stannis.

Walpurgis

Banned
And he was the one they were giving us hints about throughout the season. We knew he was going to betray him somehow, but this? Fuck him.

On the third day, Jon will rise again to take the wildling army to Winterfell and say fuck you to the Night's Watch.

Someone had an interesting theory about the wall's magic defense White Walkers being gone now because the Night's Watch betrayed their Lord Commander and broke their oaths. Now the White Walkers can actually attack.

Either that or the magic was fueled by the faith in the old gods and because that's dwindled (with the major houses that believed in them getting fucked up basically), the wall can't stop them anymore.

They all broke their vows with whores long ago. I don't think the wall was built for white walkers, I think it was meant for wildlings. I think white walkers are mythical and only appeared once a zillion years ago with the first men during the Valyrian days. I guess during those days, the first men were able to fight them off since the human race still exists. Or maybe the first men lost and the wall saved everyone else.....but then why did they build the wall in the first place? o_O

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That would be interesting. Both Jon rising and taking the Wildlings to Winterfell and the wall's magic breaking down due to the mutiny.

scabro

They all broke their vows with whores long ago. I don't think the wall was built for white walkers, I think it was meant for wildlings. I think white walkers are mythical and only appeared once a zillion years ago with the first men during the Valyrian days. I guess during those days, the first men were able to fight them off since the human race still exists. Or maybe the first men lost and the wall saved everyone else.....but then why did they build the wall in the first place? o_O

i think i vaguely remember the wall was built after the walkers and children of the forest put a spell on the wall so that the walkers couldn't cross it? not sure if thats right though

demolitio

i think i vaguely remember the wall was built after the walkers and children of the forest put a spell on the wall so that the walkers couldn't cross it? not sure if thats right though

Yea. It was originally to stop wildlings and creatures but then they added magic to it to defend against the white walkers after the first attack.

The children of the forest coming back at the same time as the white walkers is definitely no coincidence. I still feel like Bran is the key to defending Westeros.

There has to be some reason why the white walkers are back and feel like they can get past the wall, so I figure the magic has to wear out for some reason, whether it's due to lack of faith in the old gods or because of the humans turning on each other with the men sworn to protect Westeros from these "monsters" becoming monsters themselves in many ways.

Joe

From a GoT show wiki:

The Wall is a colossal fortification which stretches for 300 miles along the northern border of the Seven Kingdoms, defending the realm from the wildlings who live beyond. The Wall is reported to be over 700 feet tall and is made of solid ice. It was supposedly constructed using both magic and mundane means some eight millennia ago, in the aftermath of the Long Night to defend the realm against the White Walkers who apparently dwell in the far north, though they are now considered myths by most.

The Long Night:
"Thousands of years ago, there came a night that lasted a generation. Kings froze to death in their castles, same as the shepherds in their huts; and women smothered their babies rather than see them starve, and wept, and felt the tears freeze on their cheeks... In that darkness the White Walkers came for the first time. They swept through cities and kingdoms, riding their dead horses, hunting with their packs of pale spiders big as hounds."
―Old Nan to Bran Stark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom