• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

demolitio

Remember that wildling that mentioned spiders as big as hounds when Jon was trying to recruit them.

Yea, hope we NEVER see that shit. That would be worse than the Red Wedding for me.

I feel like the Night's Watch are going to get owned next season due to their actions and I can't tell if it will be sad or fun to watch.

It seems like they're reliving the events of the first white walker attack and all these prophecies are lining up for an exciting ending.

Can't tell if Melisandre is actually working towards the prophecy or trying to prevent it.

Walpurgis

Banned
Yea, hope we NEVER see that shit. That would be worse than the Red Wedding for me.

I feel like the Night's Watch are going to get owned next season due to their actions and I can't tell if it will be sad or fun to watch.

It seems like they're reliving the events of the first white walker attack and all these prophecies are lining up for an exciting ending.

Can't tell if Melisandre is actually working towards the prophecy or trying to prevent it.

She look legit shook when she came back to Castle Black. For the first time ever, it looked like she didn't know where she was going. She looked unsure. I hope that wasn't pretend though and actually means something. I would like to learn more about next season.

demolitio

Dany to come back to Westeros after its been iced over White Walkers?

She could come to restore Fire.

I'd like to think Bran will warg one of the dragons before then and lay waste to the white walkers. I'm assuming he's been getting trained this entire season's timeline since a lot of time has passed.

He's the Stark that has the most upside since he was dealt a shitty hand from the get-go and didn't give up.

Then again, I think Rickon will be the Lord of Winterfell by the time the series ends since he's been forgotten about as well. So let's prepare for him to show up dead early next season. :p

takriel

Well if Stannis is really dead then they handled this scene very, very poorly. I wanted to see his head fall off or something like that, basically confirmation of his death, not a cliffhanger. If he's dead then the showrunners basically just leave us in suspense for nothing. Very poorly handled.

demolitio

Well if Stannis is really dead then they handled this scene very, very poorly. I wanted to see his head fall off or something like that, basically confirmation of his death, not a cliffhanger. If he's dead then the showrunners basically just leave us in suspense for nothing. Very poorly handled.

Agreed. If he's dead, it's like they forced a cliff-hanger just for the sake of having a cliff-hanger when there's plenty of those already.

Just seems weird to me that he'd be dead after the way that was shot and what he said to her.

Sande

Yeah he couldn't have told Jon that certain Night's Watchmen, including himself, were planning to mutiny.
He could have warned Jon, but that means he would have needed to flip after committing. No way Alliser and the others involved him before they were sure he's onboard. (Actually I find it quite idiotic to involve him at all, but that's another topic)

Olly could have warned him. He could have told Jon to bring Longclaw. Olly is just as guilty as everyone else who stabbed Jon.
I don't know how a kid whose judgement is clouded by his parents' murder could be as guilty or responsible as the adults who actually run things. I want to stress that him being the one who lured Jon is quite meaningless. Jon was surrounded by people who wanted him dead. Other than being tipped off and legging it, he was dead. Olly could have been Thenn supper and Jon would have died all the same.

Olly is a piece of shit and partially responsible, but if you really want a single person to blame, make it Alliser.

Walpurgis

Banned

Agreed. That was shit. I guess Stannis is alive then. Ughhhhhhh.

Speaking of Ollie, I don't like how they handled his betrayal. We knew it was coming because of all the build up but I wanted it to be something of his own, not him jumping on the bandwagon. I think it would have been better if he killed Jon by himself.

Daigoro

i cant believe people are so hung up on the Stannis thing.

the guy is proper fucked. its over folks. pack it in. the King is dead. fuck sakes.

Jon on the other hand is the only one with a death scene in the finale that i can see possibly making it back next season. everyone else is dead dead.

ramparter

Banned
Jon was surrounded by people who wanted him dead. Other than being tipped off and legging it, he was dead.
What if Jon suspected the trap ("Kill the boy" - he has matured a lot, he also saw the how Olly was looking at him when he returnd with wildlings) or what if Melissandre has warned him off screen? What if it turns out this was not real Jon and just a replacement?

Not that it would surprise me if Jon is actually dead and never returns, this is GoT and regardless of what I feel about my favourite charcters being killed, the show has proven it can continue being interest.

Walpurgis

Banned

the guy is proper fucked. its over folks. pack it in. the King is dead. fuck sakes.

Jon on the other hand is the only one with a death scene in the finale that i can see possibly making it back next season. everyone else is dead dead.

What? We saw Jon's corpse. I mean yeah he's an important character but he actually had a death scene. Stannis didn't. Jon might be alive (I hope he is) but he looks pretty dead.

Walpurgis

Banned
What if Jon suspected the trap ("Kill the boy" - he has matured a lot, he also saw the how Olly was looking at him when he returnd with wildlings) or what if Melissandre has warned him off screen? What if it turns out this was not real Jon and just a replacement?

Not that it would surprise me if Jon is actually dead and never returns, this is GoT and regardless of what I feel about my favourite charcters being killed, the show has proven it can continue being interest.

Mellisandre! She can revive him!!!!

Sande

Agreed. If he's dead, it's like they forced a cliff-hanger just for the sake of having a cliff-hanger when there's plenty of those already.

Just seems weird to me that he'd be dead after the way that was shot and what he said to her.
I don't think it's meant as a cliffhanger. Just a "clever" editing trick gone wrong. Brienne swings her sword at Stannis after saying she'll kill him. Then they cut to Ramsay pulling his sword out of someone. Stannis is dead. There's nothing left for him anyway. He's badly wounded, surrounded by enemies, clearly given up on life. Brienne is almost doing him a favor.

People should give the scene a second watch. I think it's more obvious than a lot of you think.

Having said all that, of course he could be alive. That just would be quite ridiculous imo. Safe to say, the scene was handled horribly either way.

Inglip

Neo Member
I don't think it's meant as a cliffhanger. Just a "clever" editing trick gone wrong. Brienne swings her sword at Stannis after saying she'll kill him. Then they cut to Ramsay pulling his sword out of someone. Stannis is dead. There's nothing left for him anyway. He's badly wounded, surrounded by enemies, clearly given up on life. Brienne is almost doing him a favor.

People should give the scene a second watch. I think it's more obvious than a lot of you think.

Having said all that, of course he could be alive. That just would be quite ridiculous imo. Safe to say, the scene was handled horribly either way.

I am not a fan of Stannis, but that scene was very oblivously cliffhangery BECAUSE he has nothing to lose. Brienne spent 4 seasons hunting him down to kill him like that?. Nah. Neither arc would end so shitty.

jk on the fan part #bendtheknee

Mellisandre! She can revive him!!!!

Pretty much has to as there is no reason for her being there otherwise.

Jon being dead puts a dead end on so many things I can't accept that's it done.

Also like someone said Ghost is the most useless wolf in the world, sleeps for about 6 months at a time and occasionally growls.

So Cersai is now pretty much untouchable right? She has the zombie mountain protecting her at all times and I assume it doesn't need to eat or sleep...the Sparrows are pretty much over next season?

Can't see Cersai not retaliating for that walk of shame and how they treated her in jail.

rambis

Banned

I think the whole stannis scene was overall done way too fast. You can see where they were trying to lead up and build context but in the end it felt so cheap. Should've spread a bit across some episodes. I wonder who's bright idea it was to show virtually none of the battle that they hyped for like half the season.

I think the whole stannis scene was overall done way too fast. You can see where they were trying to lead up and build context but in the end it felt so cheap. Should've spread a bit across some episodes. I wonder who's bright idea it was to show virtually none of the battle that they hyped for like half the season.

They probably spent all of the budget on Drogon and Hardhome. Lol.

Pooya

So Cersai is now pretty much untouchable right? She has the zombie mountain protecting her at all times and I assume it doesn't need to eat or sleep...the Sparrows are pretty much over next season?

Can't see Cersai not retaliating for that walk of shame and how they treated her in jail.

Her daughter is dead too. she probably wants to deal with Martells first than some crazy monks she armed herself.

Razmos

Oi! Oi! Oi!?
lmao, just laughed out loud at this

She left her "duty" to seek revenge and him saying that reminded her of what she's there for. Maybe she sees Stannis as the best way to get Sansa back.

He very well could be dead, but it's not something you can say with 100% certainty unless they come out and say otherwise (but they also said that about Jon and we all know that's not true) because they didn't show it in a show that makes you question everything.

We've seen plenty of gruesome scenes, but they stray away from one that some people would've enjoyed after his latest fuck-ups.
VERY good point.
It's possible she could try and bargain with Ramsay, give him Stannis in exchange for Sansa, not realizing that she has already escaped.

I hate this movie/TV thing where the important character was in front of his forces and an entire army on horses stormed towards them, and of course he and only he survives when everyone else is dead. So unbelievable. What are the odds that Stannis would be the last man standing.

Also, both armies were so tiny. Really puts a scope on how small Westeros really is. In real life the armies would have been a thousand times larger, probably even tens of thousands of times larger.

Chuckie

Also, both armies were so tiny. Really puts a scope on how small Westeros really is. In real life the armies would have been a thousand times larger, probably even tens of thousands of times larger.

I think real medieval armies in Western Europe were around 5000-10000 men.

So who at the wall actually knew about Jon's uncle Benjin? Seems like such a strange reference given they could have just said that Sam was attacked by Wildings or some shit.

I'm so confused why people think he's still alive. Breanne was Renley's kings guard, loved him (in love with?) and was present when he was murdered. Why would she have second thoughts after all this time swearing to avenge Renley's death.

Stannis has nothing left to add to the story.

People thing Sirio is still alive man. It's only because they did it off screen.

I think real medieval armies in Western Europe were around 5000-10000 men.

Yeah you're right, somewhere between 7 000 and 20 000 is estimated in the early European medieval ages, but no one knows for sure as numbers may have been either exaggerated or the opposite; they could have been understated as some armies only counted knights. In either case I exaggerated; armies got much, much larger after the medieval ages.

But we're talking about armies far below 1 000 men in GoT. Stannis probably even had < 500 in that battle.

Chuckie

Yeah you're right, somewhere between 7 000 and 20 000 is estimated in the early European medieval ages, but no one knows for sure as numbers may have been either exaggerated or the opposite; they could have been understated as some armies only counted knights. In either case I exaggerated; armies got much, much larger after the medieval ages.

But we're talking about armies far below 1 000 men in GoT. Stannis probably even had < 500 in that battle.

Yeah Stannis seemed to have like 30 :p

JQubed

Banned

Stannis had so many deserters though he was down to only a fraction of his starting force.

What? We saw Jon's corpse. I mean yeah he's an important character but he actually had a death scene. Stannis didn't. Jon might be alive (I hope he is) but he looks pretty dead.

And Kit has said: "This is my understanding of it. I had a sit-down with Dan and David, we did the Tony Soprano walk [letting an actor know they’re being whacked]. And they said, “Look, you’re gone, it’s done.” And as far as the [report on a salary increase for season six] goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don’t know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It’s going to put questions into your head and into fans’ heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, “This is how it is.” If anything in the future is not like that, then I don’t know about it – it’s only in David and Dan and George’s heads. But I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season. So that’s all I can tell you, really."

Like, unless he's lying, or they're lying to him, Jon is dead dead.

Kinyou

I really wonder what is going to happen to Arya now. That she'll continue on her quest of revenge Zatoichi style seems a bit unlikely.

And can we assume that Jaqen himself is the many faced god? I mean he is literally many faced

Has it been discussed that where was Ghost during Jon's death? And do you think direwolves have bigger role in upcoming events?
The direwolves really need to step up their game

BigDug13

Even if Stannis Is shown mercy by Brianne, he's done. Army dead, sellswords gone, wife dead, child dead, priestess gone, onion knight is gone once he finds out about the daughter, plus he's deep in debt now to the iron bank. The only thing he could really be able to do would be to take the black at this point. His whole life is fucked. He's no king. The line of true Baratheons is done. Once word reaches the remaining kingdoms that Stannis Baratheon was defeated in open combat by an army led by Ramsay Bolton, any respect for his tactical skills is gone.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
When you think about it...none of the unfortunate events that happened to the Starks would have happened if only Bran listened to her mother and didn't climb that damn tower.

Well, I guess Jon Snow would still have been killed anyway since none of those WW/wildlings events have anything to do with the Starks/Lannisters war.

BTW, anyone else worried about what will happen on the next board of directors meeting of The Iron Bank. They obviously made a horrible investment gambling on Stannis, and short of financing the White Walkers I don't see them getting paid by the crown either.

BTW, anyone else worried about what will happen on the next board of directors meeting of The Iron Bank. They obviously made a horrible investment gambling on Stannis, and short of financing the White Walkers I don't see them getting paid by the crown either.

Is there anyone left in house Baratheon to pay that debt?

diamount

Banned

The Iron Bank has been around for thousands of years, and its not likely the money they invested in Stannis or the Crown will really hurt them if it isn't repaid.

Prine

Banned
And Kit has said: "This is my understanding of it. I had a sit-down with Dan and David, we did the Tony Soprano walk [letting an actor know they&#8217;re being whacked]. And they said, &#8220;Look, you&#8217;re gone, it&#8217;s done.&#8221; And as far as the [report on a salary increase for season six] goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don&#8217;t know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It&#8217;s going to put questions into your head and into fans&#8217; heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, &#8220;This is how it is.&#8221; If anything in the future is not like that, then I don&#8217;t know about it &#8211; it&#8217;s only in David and Dan and George&#8217;s heads. But I&#8217;ve been told I&#8217;m dead. I&#8217;m dead. I&#8217;m not coming back next season. So that&#8217;s all I can tell you, really."

Like, unless he's lying, or they're lying to him, Jon is dead dead.

Jon will not be back, but Kit will be as something else imo. Why did he say next season? Why not say "im not returning to GoT as i know it", he specifically say "Season". Seems like careful wording imo. And theres far too many strong hints as to his role OR his continued need to move the story.

Huesos

Neo Member
Kit isn't lying when he says that Jon is definitely dead. No one is denying that. The question is whether HE STAYS DEAD. To me it's fairly obvious that he won't.

I just thought of something else. There's a chance that they already filmed the resurrection scene. If that's the only thing we see of Jon next season, then Kit wouldn't be lying if he said that he won't show up next season either. He won't take part of the filming.

Rewatching Season 1 now, why was Varys being a Targaryen supporter billed as being a surprise? He's seen talking about it with Illyrio Mopatis in episode 5.

Blader

It wasn't a battle though, it was a slaughter. There's nothing to be learned or gained from watching Stannis' men killed off like nothing. Compare that to the Hardhome battle, where it's absolutely instrumental to the whole show to see the White Walkers and their zombie army in action, and the effectiveness of Valyrian steel against them. Or the fighting pits, where it's essential to the plot to see Drogon come to Dany and co.'s rescue and torch some Harpies.

tubster68

I've read most of gaf's reaction from jon's death, and I feel like people just can't cope with the fact that he's dead.

If it helps you cope better to believe that he will come back to GOT, then by all means

But just a warning, its not a good idea to be so hopeful in this show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom