• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon is coming back in some form. GRRM doesn't just throw bits of story detail out there and not come back to it eventually. The hints and foreshadowing have been strong in terms of Jon's importance. This isn't the writers of Lost who throw out a ton of red herrings just to throw the viewers off their scent and to artificially extend a tv series.
or maybe you're just blind to this story finally jumping the shark.

It's bad writing if Jon dies because of all the time and false importance placed on him, and it's bad writing if he's resurrected, because they've already done that to a couple minor characters and it would make death overall seem like less of a threat than it should be.

I don't see any smart or interesting way out of the hole the writers have dug themselves into. I'm out.

It's bad writing if Jon dies because of all the time and false importance placed on him, and it's bad writing if he's resurrected, because they've already done that to a couple minor characters and it would make death overall seem like less of a threat than it should be.

I don't see any smart or interesting way out of the hole the writers have dug themselves into. I'm out.

What false importance? Jon's fate was tied to the wall in the very first season. Its a sort of banishment where you know you are going to die at the wall, sooner or later. That storyline is coming to a head and Jon is no longer needed to keep it going, imo. The white walkers are going to breach the wall and merge with the other story lines.

Speaking of the wall and Westeros though, isn't about time that the night's watch tell the rest of Westeroes that shit is about to go down? Why are they on their own? Why do they need to resort to allying with the wildings? Isn't their role simply to keep watch? Not to fend off the entire white walker horde on their own, with no reinforcements or army? I know Stannis had some clue, but shouldn't this have gone straight to King's Landing?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Only one character has ever been resurrected and it was under very specific terms.

And death will seem like less of a threat in GoT? That's just silly, GoT is the only show where death can happen to anyone anywhere.

Sande

Whom is warden of the Stormlands now then?
It used to be Stannis? I have no idea since the whole region is almost completely overlooked in the show. I think the season 2 Renly scenes took place there but that's pretty much it. And I guess the official term would be Lord Paramount, not warden. Warden of the South is Mace Tyrell.

Isn't it, effectively, Walder Frey? I assume actual control falls to Edmure Tully, but he's basically a prisoner of the Freys.
That would be the Riverlands. Walder Frey is indeed in control of the whole place. Someone should hurry up and kill him before he dies of fucking old age.

What false importance? Jon's fate was tied to the wall in the very first season. Its a sort of banishment where you know you are going to die at the wall, sooner or later. That storyline is coming to a head and Jon is no longer needed to keep it going, imo. The white walkers are going to breach the wall and merge with the other story lines.
Most recently, the whole revelation that Jon's sword is special, and that the Night's King was staring him down and realizing he was a worthy adversary. Also, Sansa just got word that Jon is alive and well and acting as Lord Commander. Guess they're not doing anything with that, either.

Going further back, there's the whole unresolved mystery about his parentage, his direwolf being the only white one and special in some way, yet we don't know where he is or what he is doing. Even Melisandre noted Jon being special.

Leaving this huge plot thread open is a waste of everyone's time and a huge missed opportunity in storytelling. Plus it's just salt in the wound having him offed by a couple of the biggest twerps in Westeros.

Ferrio

Banned
Speaking of the wall and Westeros though, isn't about time that the night's watch tell the rest of Westeroes that shit is about to go down? Why are they on their own? Why do they need to resort to allying with the wildings? Isn't their role simply to keep watch? Not to fend off the entire white walker horde on their own, with no reinforcements or army? I know Stannis had some clue, but shouldn't this have gone straight to King's Landing?

They have been, no one believed them except Stannis.

Sande

Most recently, the whole revelation that Jon's sword is special, and that the Night's King was staring him down and realizing he was a worthy adversary. Also, Sansa just got word that Jon is alive and well and acting as Lord Commander. Guess they're not doing anything with that, either.

Going further back, there's the whole unresolved mystery about his parentage, his direwolf being the only white one and special in some way, yet we don't know where he is or what he is doing. Even Melisandre noted Jon being special.

Leaving this huge plot thread open is a waste of everyone's time and a huge missed opportunity in storytelling. Plus it's just salt in the wound having him offed by a couple of the biggest twerps in Westeros.
Does everything always have to lead somewhere and be a part of some neat and tidy story arc? GoT has always been more gritty and lifelike in these aspects which is one the main reasons I like the show.

It's kind of funny that Jon was starting to get a lot of complaints about the thickness of his plot armor. Now that he gets killed, people won't accept it because of the plot armor he supposedly had.

The information about the battle and sword was passed on to Sam, who will use it for some purpose later on I'm sure. The direwolves are nothing more than a get-out-of-jail free card as far as plot devices go, that conveniently show up or are conveniently absent to serve the story, I agree they're kind of dumb. I don't think there's a larger point to them than that. The Stark plotlines are just chuck full of near-missessed reunions. I can't even count what number that would make Sansa if she were to show up at the wall to find Jon dead.

People just can't let go of Jon. Honestly I thought Rob Stark and the red wedding was a bigger shock.

Volimar

fOLC5c3.gif

BSsBrolly

Banned
The information about the battle and sword was passed on to Sam, who will use it for some purpose later on I'm sure. The direwolves are nothing more than a get-out-of-jail free card as far as plot devices go, that conveniently show up or are conveniently absent to serve the story, I agree they're kind of dumb. I don't think there's a larger point to them than that. The Stark plotlines are just chuck full of near-missessed reunions. I can't even count what number that would make Sansa if she were to show up at the wall to find Jon dead.

People just can't let go of Jon. Honestly I thought Rob Stark and the red wedding was a bigger shock.

Rob was the bigger shock, however, we still had Jon to cheer for. Now we've got nothing.

Waiting-Room-Braille-Engraved-Sign-SE-2730.gif

Sande

So is the current theory that Melisandre had the kid burned to resurrect Jon all along or what? I mean she just bailed like that.
I think she was genuinely surprised and disappointed when it became apparent that Stannis clearly wasn't going to ride to glorious victory. She looked defeated and without a purpose when she arrived at the wall.

This is too perfect.

RDreamer

I really don't think it's not being able to let go of Jon. Personally I've never cared for his character storyline a ton compared to some of the others, and in addition I fucking love when people die in these stories. Loved Ned getting his head chopped off and loved the Red Wedding. I mean I loved them for storyline reasons. They ended up leading to some really interesting plotlessness and especially for Ned really capped off some interesting plotlines.

The reason I think Jon will be revived has nothing to do with me loving him or something. It has to do with them setting it up too perfectly, and this being a show that doesn't really throw a lot of false leads at you all the time. They don't have the fucking episode space to do that. There are just so many hints that something will still happen with Jon it's ridiculous to play it off that those believing he'll revive or something are delusional or just stuck on his character.

Given the information I have now, I think if Jon doesn't revive, then it's not very good writing at all. Compare that to the fact that I think Ned dying and the red wedding were good writing (so it's not just me saying killing a good character is bad writing). Unless something else comes up there's just too many hints that would be left hanging.

I'm not sure why you think this. Why is it cool that minor characters can be resurrected but major characters can't in order to be good writing? In fact good writing would have hints and fill up the world's lore with this sort of plot device before hitting us with it on a major character. And that's basically what they've done! To leave it just to minor characters who have no meaning is just a strange decision to me.

Einchy

I really hate how "something I don't like happened so it's bad writing" became a big thing after Sansa's rape.

Bit-Bit

I think it's really simple. John will never leave the Wall since he is binded there by Oath. He had his chance to leave and go help his brother and the final decision was to stay at the Wall and do his duty.

And so, in order to unbind him from the Oath while also showing his significance to the events to come, he is killed and the gods have chosen Melisandre to revive him.

It may be that The Watch will try to burn him and fail. That's when Melisandre realizes his role and revives him. It may be that they try to burn him with his sword and when he awakes, his first act is to pull his sword out of the flame (which will be on fire). Thereby fulfilling the prophecy that Melisandre had for Stannis. Then John will march to Winterfell and take back what is his.

This is just all wishful thinking on my part.

RDreamer

I think it's really simple. John will never leave the Wall since he is binded there by Oath. He had his chance to leave and go help his brother and the final decision was to stay at the Wall and do his duty.

And so, in order to unbind him from the Oath while also showing his significance to the events to come, he is killed and the gods have chosen Melisandre to revive him.

Not wishful thinking on my part, but that does just seems to be what this is all about.

I never honestly cheered for Jon much mostly because his arc to Lord Commander has been telegraphed since day 1.

rando14

The "Bad writing" excuse is so lazy

What exactly about Jon's death was bad writing? He pissed off a lot of Nights Watch over the course of the season to the point a significant portion of them wanted him gone, and they killed him.

RDreamer

What exactly about Jon's death was bad writing? He pissed off a lot of Nights Watch over the course of the season to the point a significant portion of them wanted him gone, and they killed him.

Because writing should be a bit more than just trolling the watchers/readers. If Jon dies there's about 100 hints/plotlines that become really strangely there for the sole purpose of trolling us whereas comparatively if he revives those scenes all have extra meaning in both populating the world, its lore, and foreshadowing ahead of time.

Again, as much as deaths have been a "surprise" to us during this whole show, they've really not resorted to trolling us. They've been pretty good about foreshadowing a lot of what's happened. You could see from a goddamned mile away that Rob was going to get utterly fucked over before that happened. You could tell Ned's honor would crush him. etc

Bit-Bit

Seriously, people who talk about bad writing need to actually think about characters and their motivations and mindset. It's clear from the beginning that John's decision to rescue the Wildlings was very much hated by most of the Watch. Especially since they just had their brothers killed by the very people that John is now letting through. To them, what John did was an act of betrayal to the Watch and they felt justified in killing him. That's good writing right there.

RDreamer

Seriously, people who talk about bad writing need to actually think about characters and their motivations and mindset. It's clear from the beginning that John's decision to rescue the Wildlings was very much hated by most of the Watch. Especially since they just had their brothers killed by the very people that John is now letting through. To them, what John did was an act of betrayal to the Watch and they felt justified in killing him. That's good writing right there.

You're not understanding what we're saying even remotely.

I'm not saying the motivations and things aren't there. In fact I agree with you, he betrayed the watch. It's understandable he gets shanked. Now let's talk beyond that to Jon's arc and the endless hints this show has thrown out there that someone is going to get revived. Someone big. Someone named Jon.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I have a feeling Jon will be back but it will be at the end of season 6 to make it more dramatic. He'll be back in time to fight the WW.

Bit-Bit

You're not understanding what we're saying even remotely.

I'm not saying the motivations and things aren't there. In fact I agree with you, he betrayed the watch. It's understandable he gets shanked. Now let's talk beyond that to Jon's arc and the endless hints this show has thrown out there that someone is going to get revived. Someone big. Someone named Jon.

No, I get what you're saying. I'm in agreement that he'll get revive and his story will continue. My point is towards the people who think that John's death is bad writing because he's da bess character and shouldn't die.

I'm done with this fucking show. Regarding Jon Snow - it's bad writing if he's dead and it's bad writing if they resurrect him.

Why? It makes perfect sense given what led up to it. Every dude at Castle Black thought he was making the wrong decision and being a traitor talking to the Wildlings, not to mention they probably figured he knew it was going to go down like that.

xaosslug

It may be that The Watch will try to burn him and fail. That's when Melisandre realizes his role and revives him. It may be that they try to burn him with his sword and when he awakes, his first act is to pull his sword out of the flame (which will be on fire). Thereby fulfilling the prophecy that Melisandre had for Stannis. Then John will march to Winterfell and take back what is his.

Sansa leaving is a HUGE tell that Jon/someone is coming to 'take back' Winterfell next season, tho. GoT loves doing their star-crossed/near miss shenanigans. >.>

Why? It makes perfect sense given what led up to it. Every dude at Castle Black thought he was making the wrong decision and being a traitor talking to the Wildlings, not to mention they probably figured he knew it was going to go down like that.
You guys need to step back a bit and look at the big picture, beyond just what happened in the back end of season 5. Think about all the time we've (now apparently) wasted propping Jon Snow up as someone special, beyond just some kid who was Lord Commander for 5 minutes. Because that's all he was now.

It's trolling of the worst kind and a huge waste of everyone's time. However, I'm sure he'll get resurrected in some form, and the story will once again make death seem less permanent than it should be in a story that's all about surprising deaths. The writing is taking one of the story's great assets and dulling it down.

Jarnet87

jon should come back just to kill that fucker Thorne. Thorne shits on him the entire time at castle black, then when Jon becomes Lord Commander instead of returning the favor he makes him first ranger. I'd love to see resurrected Jon behead him.

It's not bad writing. Everyone who is saying "I'm done with this show" will watch Season 6 anyways. New characters will be introduced, other characters will be developed, the story of the north and white walkers will go on without him. Or maybe he will resurrect, who knows. But it's not bad writing that he died, and its not bad writing if he stays dead. We don't even know what's going to happen yet.

RDreamer

I think there's still some arguments to be had about the night's watch and what they did being dumb as fuck. Perhaps the point is that they're all dumb as hell, but I don't know about that.

I mean think about it. If you don't like his decision why in fucking hell do you wait until the wildlings are through the wall to do it? Don't you then worry about having to fight the massive ton of wildlings he just let through if you kill the dude they liked and trusted? You really don't think Tormund isn't going to be kind of pissed at you idiots shanking Jon? I'm sure the castle's defenses aren't nearly as good from the south as they are from the north.

And at least half the damned Night's Watch voted for Jon. So not only do you piss off the Wildlings, you piss off probably half of the people there... and there ain't that many there to begin with. And even if you don't fully believe Jon's story of what just fucking happened, seriously that's still just a bad idea.

Really, it's one of the dumbest things a group of people has done on the show, and that's even lumping in the sand snakes :p

Bit-Bit

You guys need to step back a bit and look at the big picture, beyond just what happened in the back end of season 5. Think about all the time we've (now apparently) wasted propping Jon Snow up as someone special, beyond just some kid who was Lord Commander for 5 minutes. Because that's all he was now.

It's trolling of the worst kind and a huge waste of everyone's time. However, I'm sure he'll get resurrected in some form, and the story will once again make death seem less permanent than it should be in a story that's all about surprising deaths. The writing is taking one of the story's great assets and dulling it down.

You may want to read this post of mine.

Sande

I'd be more unreserved about being onboard with Jon's revival, if it wasn't for the way Melisandre acted in the last episode. Everything she's blindly believed in for years came crashing down and she looked like she has no idea what she's doing.

Einchy

However, I'm sure he'll get resurrected in some form, and the story will once again make death seem less permanent than it should be in a story that's all about surprising deaths. The writing is taking one of the story's great assets and dulling it down.

Why do you keep saying once again like it has happened time after time? It has only ever happened once and his resurrection, not his death, was the shocking part about that character.

xaosslug

jon should come back just to kill that fucker Thorne. Thorne shits on him the entire time at castle black, then when Jon becomes Lord Commander instead of returning the favor he makes him first ranger. I'd love to see resurrected Jon behead him.

i'm wondering how he'll return, tho? Will they make a huge show of his death/funeral, or will the morning come and Jon be back, alive, all those involved in his murder will be dumbfounded, and Jon will just go about the business of the day as if nothing's happened. LOL

Bit-Bit

I'd be more unreserved about being onboard with Jon's revival, if it wasn't for the way Melisandre acted in the last episode. Everything she's blindly believed in for years came crashing down and she looked like she has no idea what she's doing.

In situations like this, a person in her position will grasp at anything to try and make sense of it all. She will simply reinterpret her visions as actually having to do with John Snow and help him instead. It's the only thing she'll have left.

Cyan

Banned
I wouldn't necessarily call it bad writing, but I usually find a character dying and then later being brought back to life (especially "later" in the sense of "in another book or season, once I've already processed and made sense of their death") to be dissatisfying. It feels like a cheat. Given that a certain amount of setup has gone into this one, I suspect it will feel less like a cheat, but that will come down to execution.

On the other side, setting up a character arc, giving them a mysterious unresolved background that's been referenced plenty of times, putting a heavy load of narrative weight on their shoulders, and then killing them off abruptly--well, that would be somewhat odd from a narrative angle. Why did you put all that work into setting them up for later payoff, when you weren't ever planning to resolve it? And again, this isn't something I'd necessarily call bad writing. Promising something and then not delivering, yes. And if you do that, you'd better be prepared to make up for it some other way--in particular, Jon's background would have to be resolved and somehow matter even though he's dead, and another character would need to sort of take on his narrative mantle.

And on the other other hand, we do have an actual example of straightforwardly bad writing in that same episode: "bad pussy."

^ ha, great post. You explained it better than I could.

Why do you keep saying once again like it has happened time after time? It has only ever happened once and his resurrection, not his death, was the shocking part about that character.
Beric Dondarrion, Gregor Clegane and Jaqen H'ghar have all died and resurrected in one way or another (anyone else?).

You may want to read this post of mine.
You may be right about the writers killing him in order to release him from his oath.

RDreamer

Except that's exactly how Thoros described how he was before he first revived Beric. He felt like there was nothing. He felt like there was no god helping him, and he just said the words because he had nothing else.

Beric, The Mountain, Jaqen (sort of), the entirety of the white walker's army.

They went out of their way to have Melisandre meet Beric. The Mountain was resurrected the same episode Jon died in. Yeah, there are hints throughout.

Sande

Robb was precisely the same. He was the King in the North! for 5 minutes, started this huge war to save/avenge his father and win independence for the North. Then he just gets brutally murdered, war is over, bad guys win. Why is something like this so difficult to accept in Jon's case? People can die before they're "supposed to". That's a part of the charm of the show.

Jon might survive but people are so caught up in this idea of what they expected his arc to be and how they were "tricked" into thinking he has completely indestructible plot armor, that they blindly attack an outcome that is completely reasonable.

Brojito

Neo Member

How is it bad writing?

They've showed ONE minor character be resurrected. It would be bad writing if Jon was resurrected by the Lord of Light WITHOUT any prior precedence being shown in the story. If there has never been any indication that people come back from the dead, it would be cheap to resurrect Jon, because suddenly it would feel like the show is making up rules to bring him back. But Beric being resurrected is a big hint as to, "hey, this can actually happen in extreme circumstances for as of yet unknown purposes."

So we do have that precedence, set up a long time ago by a minor character with very little (seeming) relevance to the show at the time. It's called foreshadowing, and that's generally a sign of good writing. ESPECIALLY because this is a series where death is often sudden, unpredictable, and final. It would make a resurrection even more interesting, because this isn't a show where people just magically come back, so such an event would be hugely important to the story.

I know this isn't a book reader thread, but if I can stray a little bit from the show, there is a massive amount of story details and plot points that point to Jon's importance in the story (and this is true in the show as well, albeit to maybe a lesser extent). Whether any of this comes to fruition, or is a huge bait and switch in preparation to the real outcome, remains to be seen. The story is far from over. It's ridiculous that people are jumping ship without bothering to see how this issue is resolved before declaring it "BAD WRITING".

EDIT: Beric is the only person who has been resurrected. The Mountain is basically frankensteined and can hardly even be called Gregor Clegane anymore, he's some kind of abomination of Qyburn's. Using Jaqen H'ghar as another example is also extremely erroneous considering that he is part of a group called "the Faceless Men" who can assume other identities, and "Jaqen H'ghar" is doubtful to even be a real person. Wights.... that's not even a valid discussion point. Zombies =/= resurrection, in this case.

There is still only ONE case where a person has completely died, then been brought back to life exactly as the person they were before.

Bit-Bit

Why are people bringing up Jaqen? What could possibly make you think that he's "died" and the one on the show isn't the original that Arya saved?

I mean, the Jaqen of season 5 clearly has had interactions with Arya before and knows fully who she is and why she deserves to be in the House of Black and White.

RDreamer

Why are people bringing up Jaqen? What could possibly make you think that he's "died" and the one on the show isn't the original that Arya saved?

I mean, the Jaqen of season 5 clearly has had interactions with Arya before and knows fully who she is and why she deserves to be in the House of Black and White.

He's not the same one. That was the point of the last scene with him this season. It isn't quite resurrection though and probably shouldn't be included on the list.

Einchy

He's not the same one. That was the point of the last scene with him this season. It isn't quite resurrection though and probably shouldn't be included on the list.

You said the White Walker's army, too. I'd call that reanimating and not resurrection.

Who is to say that the Jaqen we've seen all season is the same one we saw in season 2? "Jaqen H'ghar" is just a face and not a person.

I feel like the many-faced god is a sort of one collective conscience type of thing. Jaqen and all the faces are just part of it and Arya may be absorbed into it. That's why she lost her own vision.

Just my speculation but that hardly seems like a cheap resurrection.

Sande

Except that's exactly how Thoros described how he was before he first revived Beric. He felt like there was nothing. He felt like there was no god helping him, and he just said the words because he had nothing else.
Yes he was. Her being on top of things would still make me more confident than having her crying in her chambers while Jon's corpse bleeds out and freezes solid. Maybe I have a too grounded idea about Lord of Light's revival capabilities but I pretty much saw it as just plugging the holes and giving the heart a little kick. Jon is almost beyond that by the time the credits start rolling.

If the revival is just like, whatever, dig an old grave and bring 'em back, that would obviously be too overpowered (plz nerf). There has to be a line somewhere and I think Jon is approaching it fast.

Brojito

Neo Member
Yes he was. Her being on top of things would still make me more confident than having her crying in her chambers while Jon's corpse bleeds out and freezes solid. Maybe I have a too grounded idea about Lord of Light's revival capabilities but I pretty much saw it as just plugging the holes and giving the heart a little kick. Jon is almost beyond that by the time the credits start rolling.

If the revival is just like, whatever, dig an old grave and bring 'em back, that would obviously be too overpowered (plz nerf). There has to be a line somewhere and I think Jon is approaching it fast.

Beric was nearly cut in half by the Hound's sword. I wouldn't start prescribing limits to the Lord of Light's resurrection powers yet. I don't think the severity of injuries, or how long they've been dead is really a factor in it. It matters who they are, and what part they might have to play (IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom