• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gendry is a bastard and can only be made a legitimate Baratheon by a king and since there isn't even a legit king then he's out.

I think the only real claim to the throne is Dany, but since the Targaryens were overthrown by Robert does it still count as a legitimate claim?

Disgraced

Gendry is a bastard and can only be made a legitimate Baratheon by a king and since there isn't even a legit king then he's out.

I think the only real claim to the throne is Dany, but since the Targaryens were overthrown by Robert does it still count as a legitimate claim?
Does anything count as a legit claim?

I'm sure there are people with legitimate claims to the throne, however we haven't seen them. It'd surprise me if Stannis was the last Baratheon in the whole world.

iNvid02

True, true...

What if Bran actually develops more into his Warg abilities when he finally captures the 3-eyed crow, and is able to control them that way?

Just a guess.

Yeah i've thought the same thing for a while now. Its clear Dany cant control all 3 of them, sure she rode Drogon but she was in danger, and then he just turned into charizard after the fact.

1. dany riding drogon
2. bran warging into the other one (that tree man bran is currently getting high with said he wouldn't walk again but would fly iirc)
3. and of course jon being resurrected and embracing the fire that's within him, he will come back and he will fly the shit out of that last dragon.

mind you thats if all 3 survive, but we're dealing with GRRM here so i expect one to die at least.

KorrZ

Is there any chance that Margery could end up pregnant after her world record setting sessions with Tommen? Not sure on the scale of time that has passed since she's been locked up. I'll take a baby Baratheon-Tyrell with Margery as Queen-Regent

Prine

Banned
Starting to think 8 seasons is where they will end it. Just feels like there is way too much to resolve by the end of Season 7. Dany encountering another tribe of Dothraki sealed the deal for me. I can't see them resolving that and getting her to Westeros all before the end of Season 6. Not with the way we know GoT likes to meander on these kinds of things. It's just too much. I'd love to see them do longer seasons but not counting on it.

If we're lucky, she'll arrive there early in Season 7, enough to set up her arrival, then all of Season 8 should be hell breaking loose.

Totally agree with you, there almost no payoff, they build and build and build then nothing. She'll die by stepping on her dragons tail or Dothraki execution. Her compatriots will meander then be forgotten anf that will be the end of it.

When stannis was marching with his army and cersey put the religious guys in charge I kind of expected the war to turn into a religious one. Old gods vs. God of light. Just dawned on me that this is now over before it even started.

Such a shame the line of the Stag has been severed. The same line that rebelled and won against the Tygarians, now removed from this earth a few years after Robert became King. If Stannis is dead this is an example of how stupid this show can be imo. Starks are almost gone too, a line that ruled for many winters gone in a few years. Almost 2 long reigning houses gone.

Khaz

Is there any chance that Margery could end up pregnant after her world record setting sessions with Tommen? Not sure on the scale of time that has passed since she's been locked up. I'll take a baby Baratheon-Tyrell with Margery as Queen-Regent

We have seen the events through Cersei's eyes only. Margaery was accused of a lot less than her, merely of knowing about and hiding Loras adventures. She may be already safe and "consoling" Tommen.

Walpurgis

Banned
Yeah i've thought the same thing for a while now. Its clear Dany cant control all 3 of them, sure she rode Drogon but she was in danger, and then he just turned into charizard after the fact..

Drogon grew a lot faster than the other 2 dragons and he is also a scary asshole. I have a feeling if she can get that thing under control, he can make the others listen to her.

In other news, an entertainment news show called Insider spoiled John Snow's death. They literally played a scene of that traitor boy stabbing him and then John dying in the snow. I think they said something about spoilers before they played it but my family was talking and the TV was kind of in the background. My sister who hasn't started season 5 was spoiled. What a joke. I can't see any reason to playing scenes like that in unrelated shows, even with spoiler warnings. It's incredibly disrespectful to viewers. I'm glad that I didn't wait to watch it like I did in previous seasons though.

Talka

I was at a restaurant in Munich last week, and some American teenagers at another table were yelling about how John Snow died. Hadn't seen the episode yet, so I was pretty pissed off.

Felt like such shit luck. They were the only people speaking English in the entire room, and that's what they had to say? Damnit.

Curufinwe

Might makes right. It'll be legitimate so long as she has the power to enforce her rule.

Take it out on George...

http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/swords/grrm-plush/prod_64.html

grrm.png

Does anything count as a legit claim?

Weren't the Targaryens the first to rule the 7 kingdoms? I really don't know if anything counts to be honest, lol.

Might makes right. It'll be legitimate so long as she has the power to enforce her rule.

Then Littlefinger is just as legit then, as long as he can overpower and take the throne. I was strictly speaking of bloodline, in which case Dany has the most legitimate claim since the mad king was her father.

Anyway, this is awesome. Wish it was in gif form since most people won't click this link, lol.

http://i.imgur.com/MK0JPx7.webm

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Drogon grew a lot faster than the other 2 dragons and he is also a scary asshole. I have a feeling if she can get that thing under control, he can make the others listen to her.

In other news, an entertainment news show called Insider spoiled John Snow's death. They literally played a scene of that traitor boy stabbing him and then John dying in the snow. I think they said something about spoilers before they played it but my family was talking and the TV was kind of in the background. My sister who hasn't started season 5 was spoiled. What a joke. I can't see any reason to playing scenes like that in unrelated shows, even with spoiler warnings. It's incredibly disrespectful to viewers. I'm glad that I didn't wait to watch it like I did in previous seasons though.

It sucks, I got John's death spoiled to me last year in a CS:GO match. Go figure.

Makai

I love that the popular expectation is that Jon will come back. Everyone is setting themselves up for massive tears next season. Watch him come back after a recast.

Ovid

Since you asked so nicely...

-They've mentioned Lyanna Stark numerous times this season with one of the big ones being Sansa visiting her tomb with Littlefinger discussing the tournament where Rhaegar picked Lyanna over his own wife which meant he loved her, but then Sansa recounted the story they were told about Lyanna being kidnapped and raped by Rhaegar the same season where Barristan explained to Dany how nice he was and how he loved to sing to the people, etc. which is meant to be in stark contrast (had to do the pun) to the reputation he has as some evil rapist but we all know the victors write the history.

-Stannis mentioned that it wasn't Ned Stark's way in response to someone calling Jon a bastard and we all know from season 1 that Ned was too honorable to do something like that since he loved his family. So what's more honorable than taking the heat from his wife and others to protect his nephew from Robert and every other person that would have killed Jon?

-Melisandre tried to seduce Jon Snow which she has only done to other people that had royal blood in them like Stannis and Gendry and she even said that their union would have the power to make life or light, or to cast shadows just like what she did with Stannis which once again required royalty... So why the sudden interest in a bastard Stark? She's made a few comments about Jon being special and she clearly sees something in him and now she shows up just as this shit happens?

-Melisandre also said this to Stannis in an earlier season:

Yet she abandoned Stannis (coincidentally shortly after meeting Jon and trying to seduce him) and went right back to Castle Black as Jon is being killed by that bitch Olly. The prophecy seems to fit Jon here more than anyone else because he'll betray the men serving him (after they betrayed him and killed him basically), he'll go off to do bigger and better things which might mean not coming to the aid of his family, and he'll break the oath that he tried to value above everything else, yet it will be worth it because he's the so-called chosen one. The Son of Fire would also make sense for a Targaryen son.

-In the previous season, Oberyn mentioned Rhaegar leaving his wife for another woman as well.

They talked about Lyanna AND Rhaegar more in this season than every other season combined and there's no way it's filler in a show this condensed. This show has always done a lot of foreshadowing, just like with the Lannisters last season. This show still follows typical story conventions despite breaking a few with previous deaths and events.
Interesting.

It seems Robert automatically assumed that she was "kidnapped" and decided to raise his banners and start a war.

Maybe she wanted to go with Rhaegar.

EDIT: What about the flaming sword Stannis pulled out from the fire? Was that Lightbringer or just a random sword?

demolitio

Interesting.

It seems Robert automatically assumed that she was "kidnapped" and decided to raise his banners and start a war.

Maybe she wanted to go with Rhaegar.

EDIT: What about the flaming sword Stannis pulled out from the fire? Was that Lightbringer or just a random sword?

That's pretty much what it seems like. We only hear the story that Robert wanted to tell and the victors are the ones that control how history is remembered. They've mentioned Rhaegar enough in the show recently that painted him as a normal person while also casting doubt on the other parts of the story that it's meant to make you question that story and it's not hard to believe that Robert would feel that way since he was so passionate about her. I don't know if Robert believed he kidnapped her or if he did it all out of rage and lied, but they're not bringing that shit up in the show for no reason at all.

And I imagine it was just a normal sword considering Stannis' supposed fate. Melisandre was determined to fulfill the prophecy with Stannis and would do whatever it took to get people to buy into it I think, yet all that changes when she meets Jon.

I'm just curious if that prophecy is true and if it's a literal sword or not, but clearly Stannis isn't the savior of Westeros. All the religious/supernatural stuff is extremely interesting to me and it's killing me to wait for it all to come to light (pun?). Bran better kick some ass next season.

Damn. I'm off to bed. Can't think about this stuff any more tonight. :p

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I just started watching strike back on Cinemax from the beginning and it just had back to back 'good' guys - Davos and Jorah - as bad guys. It was pretty funny as evil Jorah was still obsessed with a girl who wanted nothing to do with him, although in this case it was his daughter.

rezuth

Can we discuss Alt Shift X videos in this thread or do they have to go into the book spoiler thread? He made one today about whether its possible that
Jon Snow returning
thats very very interesting

Ovid

Can we discuss Alt Shift X videos in this thread or do they have to go into the book spoiler thread? He made one today about whether its possible that
Jon Snow returning
thats very very interesting
Is he a book reader? If so, then you should discuss it in the book spoiler thread.

rambis

Banned
Totally agree with you, there almost no payoff, they build and build and build then nothing. She'll die by stepping on her dragons tail or Dothraki execution. Her compatriots will meander then be forgotten anf that will be the end of it.

Such a shame the line of the Stag has been severed. The same line that rebelled and won against the Tygarians, now removed from this earth a few years after Robert became King. If Stannis is dead this is an example of how stupid this show can be imo. Starks are almost gone too, a line that ruled for many winters gone in a few years. Almost 2 long reigning houses gone.
Stupid show? Do you know how much this has happened in actual history?

Edit: Also didn't a lot of Stannis' men betray him after the Shireen incident?

Raiden

Banned
Well im late but i finished season 5 and wut? I semi liked stannis but now he can just rot. I somehow felt bad for Cersei even after all the shit she had done. I actually want her to brutally murder those religious fanatics. Which really bothered that this cult that we never heard or seen before (not that i remember) suddenly has the power to jail a queen. And Jon Snow died did not see that one coming. I also came to the conclusion that 60% of the game of thrones story arcs bore me to death. Best moment was that Sam and Gilly finally left (i hope) every time that whiny fucker came on id just go get a snack or go to the toilet.

Inglip

Neo Member
Well im late but i finished season 5 and wut? I semi liked stannis but now he can just rot. I somehow felt bad for Cersei even after all the shit she had done. I actually want her to brutally murder those religious fanatics. Which really bothered that this cult that we never heard or seen before (not that i remember) suddenly has the power to jail a queen. And Jon Snow died did not see that one coming. I also came to the conclusion that 60% of the game of thrones story arcs bore me to death. Best moment was that Sam and Gilly finally left (i hope) every time that whiny fucker came on id just go get a snack or go to the toilet.

The sheer terror when Oldtown erects in the intro.

The rise of the cult was all Cersei's doing.

The cult was introduced early this season and was pretty toothless, just a group of very religious people that popped up after all the shit happened in the city. Cersei made their leader the big daddy religious dude AND gave him the ability to form his own personal army.

Sure it all happened pretty quite on this show, but showing the passage of time has always been a bit of an issue with this show.

I hope that little traitor crow gets his face and guts smeared across a wall by some wildling. He was by far the most infuriating POS this season.

Sobriquet

The rise of the cult was all Cersei's doing.

The cult was introduced early this season and was pretty toothless, just a group of very religious people that popped up after all the shit happened in the city. Cersei made their leader the big daddy religious dude AND gave him the ability to form his own personal army.

Sure it all happened pretty quite on this show, but showing the passage of time has always been a bit of an issue with this show.

Also AFAIK they weren't even allowed in King's Landing when Tywin was around.

I know Illyn was never in after season one with the actor having cancer but I thought Pod's relation to him should have been mentioned.

I think it was, indirectly. I remember Pod telling Brienne his origin story, where he had a drunken knight-master, yet "because of his family name," Tywin sent him to squire for Tyrion instead. Now, I don't know if Pod is Ilyn's son, nephew, etc., or whatever, but it's clear they're from the same family.

I was thinking about the whole Jon Snow thing today. And even if they bring him back (and there are plenty of in lore ways they could), what would he even do? It's not like he could command anybody. Just having him alive doesn't really accomplish anything.

I was thinking about the whole Jon Snow thing today. And even if they bring him back (and there are plenty of in lore ways they could), what would he even do? It's not like he could command anybody. Just having him alive doesn't really accomplish anything.

There are tons of things. He could find Sansa and help her, he could avenge the death of his family, or maybe there could be a subplot of how he is the one destined to do great things (with the red woman).

He would be not dead.

Good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom