• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

I was thinking about the whole Jon Snow thing today. And even if they bring him back (and there are plenty of in lore ways they could), what would he even do? It's not like he could command anybody. Just having him alive doesn't really accomplish anything.

He could probably command the Wildlings who he saved from the White Walkers and got thru Castle Black.

Makai

I was thinking about the whole Jon Snow thing today. And even if they bring him back (and there are plenty of in lore ways they could), what would he even do? It's not like he could command anybody. Just having him alive doesn't really accomplish anything.
Judge the mutineers.

Ovid

What? He'll command the Wildlings.

Have you been watching the show? He was born to lead.

Anyways, in this scene from S3 E10, Stannis and Davos were talking about Gendry. I couldn't help but think about Jon when I heard the dialogue lol.

QSiIrP9.png
WBmKXN0.gif

I kind of agree.

As much as I don't want to see Jon dead, there is no reason for him to continue living. Sam knows about the Valyrian sword and Dragon Glass, Meli knows where to get Dragon Glass. Tormund could lead the Wildlings.

He wouldn't have avenged his family anyway because of honor and duty, it's something he could have done already, same goes for helping Sansa.

We all know Dany will end up at the wall because of the visions in the house of the undying with her walking out the tunnel North of The Wall.

Apt101

In a way leaving John Snow dead is the most poetic thing the story tellers could do at this point. These oaths and this honor mean dick. He did everything right and still got murdered by those he swore to serve. In the end there is no grand champion, no messiah. Only the most harsh and most shrewd will rule, and even the seemingly dire threat of the undead doesn't matter.

It would make for a bleak and realistic story, but not a fulfilling one. I think bringing him back as some kind of legend on par with the myths of old is something the story needs. Afterall, it is one of a supernatural and fantastical nature.

I want him to remain dead to drive home the point that the north is lost. Nobody is going to feel bad when the white walkers tear through the night's watch and the Boltons. The final episode was pretty clear. Everyone we could care about is leaving the north and the forces that could have defeated them have failed. Jon is dead. Stannis is dead. The white walkers will serve their justice.

Can't Melisandre revive Jon? The monk from season 3 served the same god, right? I guess it should be within her powers.

And if Jon were to be revived, maybe he could now accept being Jon Stark, since he fulfilled his duty to the Wall? (I'm assuming Stannis left whatever document that stated this behind, or he's just not dead)

Can't Melisandre revive Jon? The monk from season 3 served the same god, right? I guess it should be within her powers.

And if Jon were to be revived, maybe he could now accept being Jon Stark, since he fulfilled his duty to the Wall? (I'm assuming Stannis left whatever document that stated this behind, or he's just not dead)

....and now his watch has ended.

I think the Wildlings would definitely help him take back Winterfell. But for what reason? They know the real threat, all they would be doing is lowering their own chances by killing off more men.

Radec

Season 6 Episode 1: the nightwatch is burning Jon's body but he isn't burning.. Because he is a Targaryen!

Ghost suddenly transformed into a white dragon and burned the traitors down. Olly got his head bitten down by dragon ghost then Ghost carried Jon's body and flew.

He later reunited with Drogon.

Khaz

Apparently people say Jon is still alive because (theory / spoiler)
Kit Harington still hasn't cut his hair, while previously complaining about them and having to keep them long because of his contract.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Apparently people say Jon is still alive because (theory / spoiler)
Kit Harington still hasn't cut his hair, while previously complaining about them and having to keep them long because of his contract.

Maybe he grew to like the
hair
. Seem to be popular with the fangirls. :p

Sober

So I stumbled onto this youtube channel a while back but this guy is not only a real collector of like a bunch of antique weapons but trains a lot with them (not just playing around for reenactment purposes). He usually goes on about certain topics about different weapons and how they were historically used but he also sometimes goes over the choreography or design of how shows or movies implement certain things about European style martial arts.

I was kinda surprised he recently went over the Sand Snakes fight which everyone hated but he mostly liked because of some of the details and what was maybe 'wrong' or off about it. I think I agree with him that it mostly editing that was the problem. I think he's also looked at a few other fights from GOT which he also goes into detail.

Those dragons aren't gonna ride on their own you know.

eyeless

I know Illyn was never in after season one with the actor having cancer but I thought Pod's relation to him should have been mentioned.
man what the fuck, mind blown

i've read up to about 2/5 of the third book and i knew his name was podrick payne but never put together that they were related, is it mentioned anywhere in up to where i've read in the books and i just missed it or is mentioned after or what?

eyeless

Dude there's another thread for book readers
it was already mentioned in the thread, (maybe it's already common knowledge for show watchers? i dunno) and i haven't read all the books so i can't go in the book thread (it's actually a hellish existence not being able to read discussion about the books i've read cause i haven't read them all), i'm just wondering if the relation is inferred or fact

i basically just asked if a minor fact that people were just talking about here was from the books or speculation, i don't think i did anything wrong

Ovid

it was already mentioned in the thread, (maybe it's already common knowledge for show watchers? i dunno) and i haven't read all the books so i can't go in the book thread (it's actually a hellish existence not being able to read discussion about the books i've read cause i haven't read them all), i'm just wondering if the relation is inferred or fact

It wasn't mentioned on the show but it was brought up in the Interactive Features on HBOGo.

EDIT: Actually his family name was brought in S5 E3 but Pod did give any details.

I know Illyn was never in after season one with the actor having cancer but I thought Pod's relation to him should have been mentioned.

He was in Season 2. He was tasked with killing Cersi, Sansa and the rest of the women if Stannis and his men sacked the city during the Battle of Blackwater Bay.

i basically just asked if a minor fact that people were just talking about here was from the books or speculation, i don't think i did anything wrong

I feel your pain mate, I've just finished A Clash of Kings and have been thinking the exact same thing.

I feel your pain mate, I've just finished A Clash of Kings and have been thinking the exact same thing.

Same here. Even just reading the first book I feel like there are hints about things that could suggest where the show is going in certain aspects. I don't think I'll be writing a lot in this thread going forward - especially not commenting on any theories.

What I am looking forward to though is going through a few of these show threads later and sniff out who is clearly lying about having read the books, or which theories are obviously based on the book and then didn't pan out in the show. And for anyone doing the same with my posts - I hadn't read the book until the past week, so if all my theories about people dying next show turns out to be true it's obviously the show writers who are stealing my ideas.

It wasn't mentioned on the show but it was brought up in the Interactive Features on HBOGo.

He was in Season 2. He was tasked with killing Cersi, Sansa and the rest of the women if Stannis and his men sacked the city during the Battle of Blackwater Bay.

Oh, I had forgotten. When I heard the names, I had thought that Pod was his son but I'm guessing he's just a relation.

Ovid

A baby conceived today will most likely be born before season 6 starts.
Lol, I do stuff like that too to rationalize how long we have to wait.

Before Season 6 starts, I have to watch Homeland, The Walking Dead, The Affair, Empire and Girls.

THE WAIT IS TOO LONG.

Curufinwe

Lol, I do stuff like that too to rationalize how long we have to wait.

Before Season 6 starts, I have to watch Homeland, The Walking Dead, The Affair, Empire and Girls.

THE WAIT IS TOO LONG.

The thing that makes the wait seem extra long to me is that the entire NFL season will start and finish before the season 5 Blu-Ray is even out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom