• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
So are book readers and show watchers on even ground now, or should I still avoid the other thread?

Depends on how sensitive you are to (in my opinion minor) spoilers. There's nothing that I would consider major left to spoil. (Some disagree) I argued in the other thread and I still say that there shouldn't even be two different threads next year.

Depends on how sensitive you are to (in my opinion minor) spoilers. There's nothing that I would consider major left to spoil. (Some disagree) I argued in the other thread and I still say that there shouldn't even be two different threads next year.

Sounds like after next year there will definitely be no need for two threads.
Unless George RR Martin drops a book on us.

So are book readers and show watchers on even ground now, or should I still avoid the other thread?

You should avoid the other thread. Some of S5's cliff hangers have already been resolved in the books. Casting reports also suggest S6 is going to introduce content from the fifth book that many people assumed was going to get skipped.

You should avoid the other thread. Some of S5's cliff hangers have already been resolved in the books. Casting reports also suggest S6 is going to introduce content from the fifth book that many people assumed was going to get skipped.

What's the story behind the Olly "I suck" avatars? How long do you guys have to wear them?

Curufinwe

I don't understand why someone would need to post in both threads. Keep your book knowledge in the book thread.

televator

Very poorly shot then.

Yeah that was a bad choice of camera work. You'd expect the show to leave no doubt when someone dies at this point. I'm surprised they didn't show his head tumble on to the ground and then zoom in to his neck then exposed with a gaping hole from which a geyser of blood spills over.

Overdoziz

Banned
Except there is absolutely no reason she would have spared his life. So it was beyond obvious.
There's been a number of moments where characters are in similar situations and they do that cliché thing where they act like they're going to kill someone but then hit the object next to them or something. This was set up in a very similar fashion so it's not too surprising that some people may think he's still alive. Especially since GoT usually doesn't kill characters off-screen, let alone major characters.

It was poorly shot.

Volimar

WpZjk2A.gif

Oh my...

There's been a number of moments where characters are in similar situations and they do that cliché thing where they act like they're going to kill someone but then hit the object next to them or something. This was set up in a very similar fashion so it's not too surprising that some people may think he's still alive. Especially since GoT usually doesn't kill characters off-screen, let alone major characters.

It was poorly shot.

Yup, also someone in this thread had pretty decent reasoning as to why she would let him live, he told her to "do her duty" at which point she realized that her duty was no longer to Renly since he's been long gone, her duty was now to protect the Stark girls, something she wasn't doing.

The little sequence even went as far as Sansa lighting the candle the moment Brienne walked away from her watch.

Absolutely awful directing. What a way to kill a main character. I am definitely glad that he is dead but I shouldn't have come away wondering if he was still alive or not. What other possible reason could there be for cutting away so quickly?
Probably didn't want to spend money on CGI'ing his head flying off, which would need to be delicately done considering the magnitude.

raindoc

Absolutely awful directing. What a way to kill a main character. I am definitely glad that he is dead but I shouldn't have come away wondering if he was still alive or not. What other possible reason could there be for cutting away so quickly?

It fits the rest of the episode dealing with Stannis.

"hey, your wife commited suicide, half your army ran away and oh! look who's coming on horseback..." CUT

absolutely awful.

I'm convinced that "slightly frightened and confused" is Maisie's default picture taking face.

I know! I've seen so many pictures of her where she's making a screw face. She seems like a really happy kid.

The picture is just great though, everyone other than Conan and Gilly has a different expression. Is that Alfie in the back? Soon.

M.D

A question for all of you native English speakers - are you familiar with all (or most) of the words used in the books? English is not my first language but I speak it on gaf, read it on the internet, watch it on films and tv shows and hear it in music... yet there's still a shit load of words I have no idea existed.

There's like a dozen words in the first 30 pages that I have never heard before in my life. It doesn't surprise me since they are not commonly used words and I'm generally not really interested in something where they may be used in, but it still left me wondering how much of these words do you guys know?

It's not an issue since I understand the context they are being used in (mostly describing something in great detail), but I still open the dictionary when I finish a chapter and look up the words

televator

Jesus Snow/Stark/Targeryan + Onion Knight + humbled Melisandra + wilding hoard w/ Stannis' ships and a goddamn giant + loyal northern houses + warg superpower brother.

All hail the new King of Ice and Fire!

That was GREAT! haha, I will watch that episode tonight. CTV Canada always takes forever to upload it.

2015 SDCC panel is up!

Cool, will definitely give that a look.

Also, there's a 360 version of the Conan interview with GoT on Youtube, but it was only part one and only a couple of minutes long. I will definitely watch the whole thing of that as well.

EDIT: Saw the SDCC panel. Conleth Hill and Maisie Williams seriously made it, the others were mostly quiet. The guy who plays Theon almost fell asleep and the guy who plays Sam looks bored and sad beyond belief, lol. Mostly bad questions and bad answers as always, but fun to watch nonetheless. Had no idea Conleth was that funny.

Cool, will definitely give that a look.

Also, there's a 360 version of the Conan interview with GoT on Youtube, but it was only part one and only a couple of minutes long. I will definitely watch the whole thing of that as well.

EDIT: Saw the SDCC panel. Conleth Hill and Maisie Williams seriously made it, the others were mostly quiet. The guy who plays Theon almost fell asleep and the guy who plays Sam looks bored and sad beyond belief, lol. Mostly bad questions and bad answers as always, but fun to watch nonetheless. Had no idea Conleth was that funny.

I haven't watched it yet, will tonight to help fill the Sunday night void, lol. But if you watched Sam on Conan the other night, or from SDCC previous years I don't think it's so much boredom as it is nerves. On Conan you can see sweat just pouring off of his face, felt bad for him.

Edit: Watched it last night before bed and there was something Sophie brought up that I'm sure most people missed. She mentioned that to make the Sansa/Ramsay wedding a little more brutal, they had Theon wear Robb's red wedding outfit. Or a replica of it I'm sure, no bolt and arrow holes that I can see in Theons shirt, lol.

Theon-wearing-same-outfit-Robb.jpg

Nerokis

We would have found out for sure next season, anyway. The quick cut was probably a way to separate the act from the result of the act, maybe to more fully expound on it in a less kinetic context (so much was going on that episode already). The man was broken, and having Brienne show up before him was clearly a way to wrap up his arc. We'll see Stannis's disconnected head decorating the show soon enough. And by soon enough, I mean after the grueling wait for season 6 is over.

In this case, I think the problem might have been specifically finding out his ultimate fate in an interview, as opposed to letting the show present what's left of his corpse at its own pace. I guess all the fan speculation demanded it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom