• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Anyways, we should get back to GoT. Do you think that Iron Bank will back up Danny now? It´s their only choice. They gambled real bad.

As if Danny will come to them like that beggar King Stannis, and ask them for their mafia money.

Heshinsi

Dany fed a random guy to her dragons, I wouldn't say she's good. We can add Sansa, Missandei and Grey Worm to that list too though.

It wasn't a random guy. He was a former slave owning cunt who may or may not have been involved in a bloody uprising. Why do people act like these guys were decent, upright people who Dany just randomly punished? Did you see how fucked up slavery was in Essos? Slavery is punishable by death in Westeros as evidenced by Jorah fleeing for his life. Ned would have put all these masters to the sword. So no, Dany is a good person. The characters in the show (Tyrion, Varys, etc) point that out as well.

I totally disagree with this. Varys does what he does "for the realm."

He's been singing that song, but its hard not to feel like he has his own agenda. He took a bigger risk freeing Tyrion than he would have freeing Eddard, and what would have been better for the realm? Probably freeing Eddard, not involking the wrath of the North, and exposing Joffrey as illegitimate. He freed Tyrion because he has a special purpose for him, and probably Dany too. I'm not sure what, but I bet it involves Littlefinger too, since the two of them always seem to be in competition.

Heshinsi

Well then you gotta remove Jorah too, since he sold/smuggled slaves, basically (IIRC).

I don't see a problem with that. One can argue that Jorah is a changed man though. But fuck him; dude almost got Khaleesi killed. But then he saved her, twice.

Cyan

Banned
He took a bigger risk freeing Tyrion than he would have freeing Eddard, and what would have been better for the realm? Probably freeing Eddard, not involking the wrath of the North, and exposing Joffrey as illegitimate.

Tyrion was sentenced to death. Ned was supposed to be sent up to the Wall in disgrace, with Robb taking over as Warden of the North. If things had gone to plan, there would have been no wrath of the North and everything would've been fine.

He probably thought that exposing Joffrey as illegitimate would start a war. Which... it did.

Tyrion was sentenced to death. Ned was supposed to be sent up to the Wall in disgrace, with Robb taking over as Warden of the North. If things had gone to plan, there would have been no wrath of the North and everything would've been fine.

He probably thought that exposing Joffrey as illegitimate would start a war. Which... it did.

When Varys met with Eddard he was wasting away in a dungeon with no inention to confess. By contrast, Tyrion dying would have been the least eventfull thing to happen in King's Landing politically speaking. Freeing Tyrion was Varys' biggest play since the beginning of the show, he had to play his cards and show his hand, and ultimately flee king's landing. Not all of that was part of the plan, but he had to know the risks. So he did all this 'for the good of the realm'? Or to save a freind? I don't think Varys got to the position he is by taking such risks on freindship or altruism. He has a personal agenda to which Tyrion is vital.

UrbanRats

I don't see a problem with that. One can argue that Jorah is a changed man though. But fuck him; dude almost got Khaleesi killed. But then he saved her, twice.

That dude eaten by the dragons could've become a "changed man" too, if Khaleesi didn't employ capital punishment, so...

Valus

When Varys met with Eddard he was wasting away in a dungeon with no inention to confess. By contrast, Tyrion dying would have been the least eventfull thing to happen in King's Landing politically speaking. Freeing Tyrion was Varys' biggest play since the beginning of the show, he had to play his cards and show his hand, and ultimately flee king's landing. Not all of that was part of the plan, but he had to know the risks. So he did all this 'for the good of the realm'? Or to save a freind? I don't think Varys got to the position he is by taking such risks on freindship or altruism. He has a personal agenda to which Tyrion is vital.

You keep misunderstanding Varys. He didn't just let Ned die, he in fact did everything he could to save him without risking his own skin. He convinced Ned to just confess so he could get sentenced to the Wall and survive. Jeofrey was the asshole who decided to chop off his head, ignoring the council of everyone and starting a war. You can even see Varys running up to the prick and trying to convince him not to do it, but it doesn't work.

He left King's Landing not because he showed his hand, but because Tywin was murdered. You can see him planning on staying in King's Landing but decided to leave on a whim after Tywin's death, mainly because he felt there was no hope left for the realm with the Lannisters in charge now that Tywin was gone. He did not expect Tyrion to do what he did. He let Tyrion free because he felt his death would be a waste and that he can still serve the realm somehow. We've known since Season 1 that Varys always had a hand in team Dany's pocket.

He is just like LF in that he is playing a game of chess using real people. The difference is LF's endgame is to use the chaos he sows as a way to climb on top, while Varys simply wants peace in the realm. He knows about the Lord of Light, has seen "a man pray at an altar and have a voice answer" and knows the evil that is out there. Is he perfect? No. Maybe he just saved Tyrion because he felt he was his friend. We know he took vengeance on the guy who chopped off his weiner. He isn't perfect, but he's the best we got at countering LF endgame.

It wasn't a random guy. He was a former slave owning cunt who may or may not have been involved in a bloody uprising. Why do people act like these guys were decent, upright people who Dany just randomly punished? Did you see how fucked up slavery was in Essos? Slavery is punishable by death in Westeros as evidenced by Jorah fleeing for his life. Ned would have put all these masters to the sword. So no, Dany is a good person. The characters in the show (Tyrion, Varys, etc) point that out as well.

Fair enough, killing a slave master might be reasonable but she still didn't think twice about killing him even though he probably wasn't responsible for anything the Harpy's did, as evidenced by their huge presence later on. She's still not in the same boat as the other "good" characters in my books.

I also agree that Dany is a good person, but a good person who's made some really stupid decisions. At heart though she means well which goes a lot further than the majority.

dLMN8R

I also agree that Dany is a good person, but a good person who's made some really stupid decisions. At heart though she means well which goes a lot further than the majority.

I mean, she's a teenager who was physically and emotionally abused and manipulated, and then given a massive amount of political power because of physical power (dragons).

Can't imagine anyone not making some really stupid decisions in that situation.

Inglip

Neo Member
I mean, she's a teenager who was physically and emotionally abused and manipulated, and then given a massive amount of political power because of physical power (dragons).

Can't imagine anyone not making some really stupid decisions in that situation.

This.

On the other hand, she had years to actually learn something. Even Tommen had the wits to do one simple thing - give proxy to somone who knows shit (lolz when that person gets taken down, though). She had advisors AND the ability to get more advisors. She needs heavy education and doesn´t get any. She uses the power of female hormons to affect milions and gets persuaded by random dudes´ oneliners.

And that is fairly chaotic to me. Chaotic good because of her heart. More dangerous than lawful neutral though.

HMD

Dany would be a HORRIBLE ruler, I wouldn't wanna live under her rule in a million years, I would prefer having post-season 5 Stannis over her.

Loakum

Banned
Looking at the best episode of the season...aka episode 8, I'm now convinced Jon Snow is definitely coming back. Why? When the Night King was on the bank of that lake, he had an intense stare down with Jon Snow. They dedicated almost a full minute of these two sizing each other up, during this stare down. There is NO WAY they would dedicate so much time to this stare down, if these two wouldn't cross paths, sometime in the future, in a final epic battle.

BAcgNy4.gif

He also probably had a strong inclination that Tyrion would take out Tywin on his way out.

Though reading the poster above maybe he thought the exact opposite. Hmmmm.

See to me the Lannisters are bad for the realm no matter what and with Tywin out it'll make getting rid of them easier.

Looking at the best episode of the season...aka episode 8, I'm now convinced Jon Snow is definitely coming back. Why? When the Night King was on the bank of that lake, he had an intense stare down with Jon Snow. They dedicated almost a full minute of these two sizing each other up, during this stare down. There is NO WAY they would dedicate so much time to this stare down, if these two wouldn't cross paths, sometime in the future, in a final epic battle.

BAcgNy4.gif

My exact thought too. I mean unless that was literally designed to make his death that much more shocking, but that'd be stupid.

I think there's just a chance we don't see the Wall next season maybe? Or Kit is lying like a motherfucker because if he said he was coming back it'd basically be saying he isn't dead.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

BAcgNy4.gif
Or that was the 'game (of thrones) over man' scene for Jon. He pretty much says as much to Sam, there is no way the nights watch can stand against that.

big ander

I have zero doubt Jon's coming back--I guess being that optimistic is dangerous in the world of GoT, but I'll risk it here--and it only just occurred to me this morning that if he is resurrected he'll have fulfilled his Night's Watch vows. Lived and died at his post!

Only other characters left other than Jon that I'm at all invested in are Tyrion (and I guess I'm interested in Varys, and I have to kind of care about Dany even though she and the several men who are deeply in love with her are all pretty boring) and Brienne/Pod (and Sansa/Theon in a way then). Arya's overly mysterious timesuck of a storyline this year was sometimes compellingly weird, more often it was aimless. Stannis was fun to watch fail and I like Davos but he's not exactly a major draw; Melisandre is a hokey drag. I guess the Lannisters could be up to something interesting in the near future what with their monsterknight and Jamie wanting revenge.

having not followed how they've gone about hiding major choices like this before...how would they hide that they're shooting scenes with Kit for next season without it getting out in the case that he's still alive?

I mean, wouldn't that leak out almost immediately? Especially if he plays a big role in the events of next season?

big ander

having not followed how they've gone about hiding major choices like this before...how would they hide that they're shooting scenes with Kit for next season without it getting out in the case that he's still alive?

I mean, wouldn't that leak out almost immediately? Especially if he plays a big role in the events of next season?

Plenty of shows/movies have hidden things like this before. If nothing happened until the end of the season then there'd just be one scene to keep under wraps, and if it were a small one at the wall (so on a set) with a few characters they could have a smaller crew as well, and the crew aren't supposed to reveal anything in the first place. They could also have him in a flashback scene, so that any suspicion of a present-day scene could be brushed aside with "alright he's in a flashback, but that's it really."

televator

All I know is Im staying the hell away from this thread durring filming time.

Portugeezer

My guess is that Jon Snow will become an ice zombie, Sam will figure out a cure with all his reading in the library, one day someone recognises Jon Snow as an ice zombie, Sam, driven by his man-love for Jon, will try to administer the cure to him.

Jon then comses back to life.

Everyone is happy again.

GOT becomes best show again.

Oh, but then a dragon comes flying into the scene and turns Sam and Jon into delicious spicy doritos chips.

turtle553

Charles Dance came back to film a scene after he was dead with just his body. He could be on the show for one episode and still be dead.

He's alive, I think.

Episode 10

I thought it was straight up garbage. Stannis plotline ended up going nowhere, the Arya torchure scene was disgusting, deus ex machina of Brienne dealing the final blow, no real build up to the Jon Snow murder, Melissandra being a goof, Dany situation seeming utterly implausible and stupid, Grey Worm as a ruling figure (like that would go down well! A former slave from another city), Maercella (or whatever) murder, the Boltons continuing to get the pllot armour treatment.

As far as plot continuity and development goes, the series has become pretty terrible and this just seemed like they had to get everything in 10 episodes and crammed all sorts of undercooked scenes in to bring the predictable shock value. Yeah, the shock factor has become entirely predictable and no less implausible than main characters having plot armour.

Inglip

Neo Member

Simple - it could have been pre-shot. They just need the scene where Meli carries him away and 5 minute resurrection, no biggie.

Episode 10

I thought it was straight up garbage. Stannis plotline ended up going nowhere, the Arya torchure scene was disgusting, deus ex machina of Brienne dealing the final blow, no real build up to the Jon Snow murder, Melissandra being a goof, Dany situation seeming utterly implausible and stupid, Grey Worm as a ruling figure (like that would go down well! A former slave from another city), Maercella (or whatever) murder, the Boltons continuing to get the pllot armour treatment.

As far as plot continuity and development goes, the series has become pretty terrible and this just seemed like they had to get everything in 10 episodes and crammed all sorts of undercooked scenes in to bring the predictable shock value. Yeah, the shock factor has become entirely predictable and no less implausible than main characters having plot armour.

"plot-armour" and "shock-value death". Choose one dude, can´t boo them both at the same time. Jon having plot-armour was an endless rant right until Ollie-stares.

Maxim726X

"plot-armour" and "shock-value death". Choose one dude, can´t boo them both at the same time. Jon having plot-armour was an endless rant right until Ollie-stares.

And if he's brought back to life, which seems more likely than not at this point, then the 'endless rant' was indeed correct.

Simple - it could have been pre-shot. They just need the scene where Meli carries him away and 5 minute resurrection, no biggie.

What do you mean? What I am saying is that the 'shocking events' are trying to be shocking by ratcheting them up to the extreme, rather than actually being surprising. They have used the surprise card so much, I don't think the series has much capacity to surprise. This series generally inverts the norm though, villains have greater plot armour than seems reasonable. I think one of the main problems is the poor development though...They are just cycling through events at this stage without anykind of exposition (i.e., the defeat of Stannis army). So much screen time for that?

In Jon's case, I think it would be utter shit though if he was trully dead, which I don't believe he is for obvious reasons.

dLMN8R

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly in retrospect, but I'm pretty sure when the Red Wedding happened I wasn't as disappointed as I was with Jon's death.

At the time of the Red Wedding, the deaths of the Starks had major implications on other characters who were still alive and events which were about to take place. Lots of other characters were emotionally impacted by their deaths, and the events of the story also saw major implications.

There was so much other stuff going on that the Red Wedding, while tragic and disappointing ends for many characters I really liked, I understood why it was there and was excited imagining what might happen next.

With Jon's death, though, it's the exact opposite. There are few other characters who his death will directly affect, and his death doesn't seem like it has much potential to upheave the entire story like the Red Wedding did. It just seems like it was there for pure shock value with little else that will come out of it.

zma1013

BAcgNy4.gif

Or it could have simply been to show the audience what the Walkers were capable of. Jon already transferred the information to Sam, so in that small way, it does have a purpose without Jon coming back. Besides, more often than not, in the GoT world, most people do not see their way to their end goal or destiny.

I've just got my friend into GoT and he's currently halfway through season 2. Man I have to keep such a poker face when he's reacting to it and asking questions.

I did like the part just after Theon captured Winterfell when Roose was like "let me send my bastard at the Dreadfort". Ah the implications that will have!

You can say a lot of things about the Boltons, but they get shit done.

KorrZ

I've just got my friend into GoT and he's currently halfway through season 2. Man I have to keep such a poker face when he's reacting to it and asking questions.

I did like the part just after Theon captured Winterfell when Roose was like "let me send my bastard at the Dreadfort". Ah the implications that will have!

You can say a lot of things about the Boltons, but they get shit done.

Watching the show with my sister recently her first time as well, though we're up to season 4 now. When Theon betrayed Robb all my sister could say was "he better get his" well....By this point she feels sorry for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom