• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm conflicted about the Daenery storyline. I thought the whole draw of her was that she was the mother of dragons and was going to use them to conquer the seven kingdoms eventually. Now it's looking like she has neglected 2 of them in a basement and the other couldn't be bothered with her anymore. I know it's more realistic to think that she wouldn't be able to control wild animals, but it sort of loses a major part of what made her story interesting and her so formidable as a player. First we all knew that we'd have to wait for them to grow and now that they're bigger it's looking less and less like we'll get to see them factor in in any sort of way to the main story anytime soon. I would even appreciate seeing them do something cool. That leaves us with Dany trying to rule Mereen which is interesting I guess, but sort of pointless in the grand scheme of things. Looking forward to Tyrion stirring things up.

Also, I'm sure i'm not the only one that was excited to see Arya reunite with the faceless man and train with him and all that and in an hour long episode we saw her progress from outside the door to 2 steps inside the door. Hopefully next episode will give us more of what I thought this episode would.

Poor Stannis though, no one will bend the damn knee for the true king.

#BendTheKnee

lol

No shit.

Why does John refuse the title? He can still serve in the nights watch couldn't he?

He seems to want to help Stannis, but he's true to his vows.

I know the only reason he's there is because he's a bastard, but there's nothing that would prevent him from staying there if Stannis has made him a Stark.

Carl

Why didn't he get a trial? She just executed him like that. A known criminal gets due trial and a war hero gets slaughtered. Dany thinks she's being strong but she's really being a contradictory bitch.

Because the punishment for killing someone without them getting a trial is killing them without a trial.

Makes perfect sense

dsp

lol

No shit.

Why does John refuse the title? He can still serve in the nights watch couldn't he?

I know the only reason he's there is because he's a bastard, but there's nothing that would prevent him from staying there if Stannis has made him a Stark.

I think being in the Night's Watch is similar to the Kingsguard in that you give up all titles.

BizzyBum

If Tyrion and Vaerys actually get to Mereen I say they stroll up as Dany's dragons are torching the entire city. lol

Also, Bronn reminds me of a younger Mike from Breaking Bad if he was in the GoT universe. Am I crazy?

Ridli

Man, I was so happy for Jon when Stannis made his offer... and then 2 minutes later he goes off an becomes head crow. I wanted to see him march into Winterfell and take that flayed man marker off the map.

Also, just got to point out - Brienne can't catch a break.

Hmmm, when Jaime told Bronn that he would have a bigger castle and much better wife, it got me curious about the specifics. Who has Harrnehal these days?

lol

No shit.

I wonder if it interferes with the "hold no lands" part? (even if he wouldn't technically "hold" the land.)

Ridli

Hmmm, when Jaime told Bronn that he would have a bigger castle and much better wife, it got me curious about the specifics. Who has Harrnehal these days?

Littlefinger was given the title of Lord of Harrenhall by Joffry I believe. As far as I know, nothing's happened to revoke his titles or standing with the crown. Have I missed anything?

And Jaime lost a hand. She hasn't earned very much in my book, but I don't actively hate her like I do Dany.

I actually really like her, but she has been failing.

I don't get the Dany hate though, yes she's annoying and stupid and pretty boring but I definitely don't hate her. I just wish they spent less time on her each week.

Dany is going to be set straight once Tyrio and Varys get there. Don't worry. She is the one true Queen..

He confessed to murdering a prisoner. I think that gets rid of the whole trial process.
Not to me. Her ending up in the throne is the most boring conclusion George could possibly make.

Nameless said:
-old, idealistic body guard
-dude who fights for beauty
-random son of a slain master(actually kind of reasonable which is probably why Daeny always ignores his advice)
-over zealous ex slave
2424425-6555272247-hyde-.gif

It's hilarious because it's true. I'm going to say he's going to be someone who instructs her well and might be on top of the gold face group. I hope when we find out (better be this season, it's someone we have seen before).

I actually really like her, but she has been failing.

I don't get the Dany hate though, yes she's annoying and stupid and pretty boring but I definitely don't hate her. I just wish they spent less time on her each week.

Because I compare all the women on the show to Margaery, Melisandre and Arya, the three who in my mind have done no wrong and who cover the various strengths perfectly. lol

Great episode. I really wasn't expecting Jon to win that vote but I'm excited to see how it plays out. Lot of great buildup in the first two episodes so far. Tons to look forward to over the next couple months.

MikeyB

Even though they are allegedly cutting deeply, this series is running into serious bloat. The execution and trial story could have been a third as short and the conversation in the wagon could be two sentences. If the next episode is even more set up, I'm going to lose my mind.

Remember Season 1? Episodes were full of events. Wights, execution, and dire wolves, the king arrives, Ned is named hand, Cersei and Jaime reveal and Bran gets pushed out a window, and Dani gets married. 1 episode.

Winter is never coming. This is taking forrreeeeevvvvvveeer.

Loakum

Banned
Oh GAWD how sexy Sansa looked in this episode...anyway, I loved this episode. In fact I watch the first and second episodes tonight and loved them both. I see it was Varys who had that rich merchant in Pathos to take in Daenerys and her brother in season 1. So I guess Varys was really planning his "Targaryan Project" since King Robert was in power. Even though he would had poisoned Daenerys, and had her brother someday rule. It was also kind of emotional seeing Mance get killed. The emotion on his people (the Wildlings) faces made that scene hard to watch. It was beautiful seeing Jon Snow's act of mercy.

I got so many "goose bumps" and "chills" episodes in episode 2. When King Stannis offered Jon the title of Lord of Winterfell, I got "the chills". Being a "bastard" all his like, to being lord of Winterfell would had been an amazing turn of events.....until Jon turned down the offer. The scenes with Arya...man....I love Arya's story line! Seeing my favorite faceless man was beyond words! Then there is Daenerys....she's kind of becoming like her father. Yes that kid broke the law, but a public execution was way too reckless. It came at no surprise a riot soon insured. Lastly, I have to talk about Queen Cersei....I can see where Joffery picked up his charm.

One last thing...Lady Brianne...is she on a losing streak, or what? God I LOVE this show!

Pepiope

Even though they are allegedly cutting deeply, this series is running into serious bloat. The execution and trial story could have been a third as short and the conversation in the wagon could be two sentences. If the next episode is even more set up, I'm going to lose my mind.

Remember Season 1? Episodes were full of events. Wights, execution, and dire wolves, the king arrives, Ned is named hand, Cersei and Jaime reveal and Bran gets pushed out a window, and Dani gets married. 1 episode.

No no no. The entire episode could have been Varys and Tyrion talking in the wagon and I would've enjoyed it.

He did not bend the knee.

Doesn't matter he's got Stark blood, lol.

Yeah but if ended tonight you'd be sad as hell that the series is over. I think suffering through those extra few minutes of Dany is worth it. Plus, it'l serve it's purpose, everything always does with this show.

BizzyBum

Why rush it? I could watch this for 40 more seasons if they let it run that far.

Ridli

I still don't have a clue on how Varys and Tyrion are going to find themselves in Dany's good graces. Selmy wouldn't have been around to see the good Tyrion did, and he can't be trusting of Varys. And she needs V&T badly. I'm pretty sure Brandon has more governing success under his belt during the time he was sitting in for Rob in Winterfell.

MikeyB

I don't want the show to end, but I do want the grander motions to get rolling. Let's have winter arrive, let's get the Mother of Dragons taking on Westeros. At this ratez they're going to spend 2.5 of the remaining 3 seasons talking about it and there will be 5 episodes of the events that were apparent in the first half of season 1.

Given how much they've talked about all of this happening, it is going to be so anticlimactic.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope the series ends with Dany defeated, Snow dead, the Starks fully extinguished, and no other house capable of contesting the Lannisters sitting on the throne.

let's get the Mother of Dragons taking on Westeros.

I've said this before, but Dany's arc, while at times fun on its own, has always been the least fulfilling because we're five seasons in now and it's been completely disconnected from Westeros events since the end of Season 1. It's only just now getting back into some vague connectivity thanks to Tyrion and Varys being in the region. Season 1 acknowledged her and tied in some spying and assassination plots, but outside of the one odd gimmick per season it's been its own self contained story that, for anybody far more interested in Westeros politics and war, might as well not exist at all.

Dany's arc has had some horribly boring stretches. When it's good I enjoy it. But too often I think to myself "Here's Dany, can't wait until this scene is over so we can go back to Westeros".

dsp

I still don't have a clue on how Varys and Tyrion are going to find themselves in Dany's good graces. Selmy wouldn't have been around to see the good Tyrion did, and he can't be trusting of Varys. And she needs V&T badly. I'm pretty sure Brandon has more governing success under his belt during the time he was sitting in for Rob in Winterfell.

Cold blooded but true, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom