• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
Best female characters: Dany, Brienne, Cersei, Arya and non-Dark Sansa.

The rest are meh.

I just want my man Jorah and Dany to live happily ever after together. Is that to much to ask?

MikeyB

Best female characters: Dany, Brienne, Cersei and Arya.

The rest are meh.

I just want my man Jorah and Dany to live happily ever after together. Is that to much to ask?

Brienne and Arya, sure, but now Sansa is way more interesting. She's gone beyond the crying depressed princess. The Red Woman is also pretty interesting.

Cersei is dull. One dimensional since she first appeared and is unlikely to do anything other than plot at King's Landing.

Dany. Ugh. I wonder how many ways they'll find to beat the viewers over the head with her incompetence. Enough, already.

Kimaka

Olenna is too old, Loras isn't very clever, and Margaery is basically a Lannister.

Tyrells are pretty much Lannisters, but with less incest and psychopathic assholes within their family.

Best female characters: Dany, Brienne, Cersei, Arya and non-Dark Sansa.

The rest are meh.

Not even a Dany fan, but she can and has done better than that.

Tyrells are pretty much Lannisters, but with less incest and psychopathic assholes within their family.

I meant more in the sense that she's married two different Lannisters (albeit Baratheons in name). But yeah, the Tyrells are pretty close to Lannisters politically speaking, which I like.

Ridli

I meant more in the sense that she's married two different Lannisters (albeit Baratheons in name). But yeah, the Tyrells are pretty close to Lannisters politically speaking, which I like.

At least Olenna seems to be successful in setting up her legacy through Margaery. Tywin couldn't really finish that one.

Mr.Mike

There's one line that I think was a big deal but nobody seems to be talking about. "The law is the law". For a second there I though she was going to come up with some sort of institution for justice (judges, juries, written down laws etc) and announce it to the city. But no, she was just gonna make some dumb mistakes.

I'm fine with the show ending with whoever (whomever?) on the throne...as long as SOMEONE is on the throne.

The White Walkers bore me and I'm scared that they're going to play a big part with "winter" coming.

I'm fine with the show ending with whoever (whomever?) on the throne...as long as SOMEONE is on the throne.

The White Walkers bore me and I'm scared that they're going to play a big part with "winter" coming.

You don't really need to be on the throne for that, though. Stannis seems to be doing just fine without it.

Is obvious that Danny is going to end up in the Throne. That Witch that told Cersei her future, said a younger, more beautiful queen is going to steal her throne.

demolitio

They definitely wI'll, but that's what it will take to get some cooperation between houses and it seems like the dragons, or at least the one loose one, will counter the white walkers.

To me, the mythology is what is intriguing me the most since it feels like ancient clash of the gods with no clue what's real.

Is obvious that Danny is going to end up in the Throne. That Witch that told Cersei her future, said a younger, more beautiful queen is going to steal her throne.

That's referencing Margaery. Whether or not Dany comes into power in Westeros doesn't change that Margaery took over Cersei's place as puppeteer.
edit: beaten bad

Venture

Also, just got to point out - Brienne can't catch a break.
I'm glad she has some sense of purpose back at least. Love Brienne and Pod.

I still don't have a clue on how Varys and Tyrion are going to find themselves in Dany's good graces. Selmy wouldn't have been around to see the good Tyrion did, and he can't be trusting of Varys. And she needs V&T badly. I'm pretty sure Brandon has more governing success under his belt during the time he was sitting in for Rob in Winterfell.
They would have to offer her something really big. Maybe some dragon expertise. Varys said they were stopping at Volantis first I think.

Mr.Mike

Doesn't have to be Margaery I think. It could be her, but I could also see it being Daenerys or maybe Melisandre or Stannis' daughter even. Obviously Cersei would think it was Margaery, but that doesn't mean it is.

dsp

Hmm, I thought she meant Margaery?

Yeah, I just mean I want someone in a definitive leadership role.

She said a younger more beautiful woman (or something like that) but never who. I don't think you can jump to any conclusions just yet. Margaery definitely fits the criteria, though.

If anything I think the white walkers will be equalizers. I wonder how people will react when all the politics we have seen for five seasons is erased as they come over the wall like a wave of death. That's part of the delay with them that bugs me. Very little payoff. You know they're out there you just don't know when or how they're going to show up.

To be fair, I don't think Martin does either.

Thank god for this show. I've only read one book and from what people have said Martin might never finish. At least us show watchers will get and ending.

Sober

Did I remember last season's attack on Castle Black episode wrong? I thought the one candidate for Commander wasn't too bad and actually had the stones to lead the men during the attack before getting wounded.

dsp

It might be best if no one sits the throne. It doesn't seem to be doing anyone any good either way.

Guys...I just walked into the book thread by accident, went down a few posts, and slowly left as I realized it was none of you guys posting.

...and not one thing was ruined. I think my mind subconsciously didn't take in anything there.

Pro tip: Always subscribe to this thread.

If anything I think the white walkers will be equalizers. I wonder how people will react when all the politics we have seen for five seasons is erased as they come over the wall like a wave of death. That's part of the delay with them that bugs me. Very little payoff. You know they're out there you just don't know when or how they're going to show up.

To be fair, I don't think Martin does either.

Thank god for this show. I've only read one book and from what people have said Martin might never finish. At least us show watchers will get and ending.

Yeah, that's the most encouraging thing.

It might be best if no one sits the throne. It doesn't seem to be doing anyone any good either way.
lol seems to be more of a curse at this point.

KorrZ

People are really hard on Dany's character when she is clearly just inexperienced as a ruler. I think we forget sometimes that until relatively recently in her life she was essentially a prisoner of her brother. This is her first time actually trying to govern a "kingdom" of her own as well. Obviously there are going to be some growing pains, good rulers aren't just born over night (Robert Baratheon anyone?)

I know it's fiction and sometimes we expect to see our characters be amazing at everything right from the start, but it's far more believable for her to stumble a bit as she learns the ropes. This just means by the time she ends up in Westeros she'll be a much more able, competent ruler with this experience, and of course some tutelage from Varys and Tyrion.

Did I remember last season's attack on Castle Black episode wrong? I thought the one candidate for Commander wasn't too bad and actually had the stones to lead the men during the attack before getting wounded.

He's a huge asshole though so I'm guessing that people would rather have Jon as their Commander than that dude.

Oh GAWD how sexy Sansa looked in this episode...anyway, I loved this episode. In fact I watch the first and second episodes tonight and loved them both. I see it was Varys who had that rich merchant in Pathos to take in Daenerys and her brother in season 1. So I guess Varys was really planning his "Targaryan Project" since King Robert was in power. Even though he would had poisoned Daenerys, and had her brother someday rule. It was also kind of emotional seeing Mance get killed. The emotion on his people (the Wildlings) faces made that scene hard to watch. It was beautiful seeing Jon Snow's act of mercy.

So wait, was it Varys who smuggled out Dany and her brother? I'm still unclear on how old they were when Robert took over.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People are really hard on Dany's character when she is clearly just inexperienced as a ruler. I think we forget sometimes that until relatively recently in her life she was essentially a prisoner of her brother. This is her first time actually trying to govern a "kingdom" of her own as well. Obviously there are going to be some growing pains, good rulers aren't just born over night (Robert Baratheon anyone?)

I know it's fiction and sometimes we expect to see our characters be amazing at everything right from the start, but it's far more believable for her to stumble a bit as she learns the ropes. This just means by the time she ends up in Westeros she'll be a much more able, competent ruler with this experience, and of course some tutelage from Varys and Tyrion.

Her issue is she isn't listening to people who know better. That's why she gets a lot of shit.

Ridli

He's a huge asshole though so I'm guessing that people would rather have Jon as their Commander than that dude.

Ser Allister wouldn't be a bad leader, per se. He's kind of like colonel jessop from a few good men. An asshole, but sometimes you need an asshole on the wall.

But unfortunately he had to go up against Jon Snow. Sometimes it's just bad timing. It'll be interesting how those two get along now that the votes are in.

dsp

Half of them, at least.

XKpDglj.gif

Avinexus

She said a younger more beautiful woman (or something like that) but never who. I don't think you can jump to any conclusions just yet. Margaery definitely fits the criteria, though.
It's not really a jump to conclusions, Margaery literally took Cersei's place when she married Joffrey, and will I guess technically do it again if she marries the next kid.

Limit

I was more appreciative of Dany in her making the mistake of publicly executing one of her followers this episode. If only because this was one of the rare occasions where it looked like Dany herself realized she had screwed up. Looking forward to seeing how Dany makes up for this error in judgment of hers in subsequent episodes. Though I would love for her to resolve this situation by herself the chances are high and Tyrion and company would be the ones rescuing her behind.

The Arya storyline is the most mysterious one to me at this moment. I have no clue what kind of training is she going to get and how is she going to connect back to the storyline when she is fully trained up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom