• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

Littlefinger is so god damn creepy with his "uncle" kisses to Sansa, I'm very interested about how that whole thing is going to develop, that ice stare she gave to Bolton before changing completely and kneeling, she has to be developing her own machinations.

I wonder if the arming of the birdies will backfire on her.
She slept with the cousin that's one of them, so he knows that she committed a crime against the gods (I guess that counts too), and if he's a bit smart he'll start thinking that Tommen might really be Jamie's son.
They could try and kill them both, maybe only Tommen will die and she'll be all kinds of broken (I kind of hope that happens, even if I like Tommen).

Sure, they'll have to kill the cousin too, but he's going nuts, he'll see it as penitence or something I guess.

Yeah, the religious militant standing up to the king shows they are a powder keg and cannot be controlled. Even if Tommen orders them to be disarmed, could they be? They are helping the poor and striking the aristocracy with their "righteousness". I'd be willing to bet the people of King's Landing would be more inclined to side with the Sparrows over the crown. Cersei's move was shortsighted with the small council having (two?) members, Jaime gone, and no Tywin to check the whole thing will explode soon.

Valus

Why is everyone so convinced Barriston is dead? Did I miss something? Why would they show Grey Worm save him from getting his throat sliced just to have him die anyway? GoT is all about that shock factor, they would have no problem slitting his throat on screen.

Crispy75

Why is everyone so convinced Barriston is dead? Did I miss something? Why would they show Grey Worm save him from getting his throat sliced just to have him die anyway? GoT is all about that shock factor, they would have no problem slitting his throat on screen.

Plenty of characters have died from their wounds some time later. He's not invicible. He's an old man anyway. Apart from Dr. Frankenmaester and the Lord of Light, there's no power in Westeros that can save an old man from a nasty flesh wound.

I am fully expecting Tommen to die. Didn't the witch from the second episode tell a young Cersei that all of her children would die ?

tariniel

Does anyone else feel totally underwhelmed by the fight scene at the end of episode 4? I didn't think it was particularly good but all of my friends thought it was the greatest thing ever...

Valus

Plenty of characters have died from their wounds some time later. He's not invicible. He's an old man anyway. Apart from Dr. Frankenmaester and the Lord of Light, there's no power in Westeros that can save an old man from a nasty flesh wound.

Again, why would they not just have his throat slit then? It was there, knife to the throat and everything.

Catdaddy

Does anyone else feel totally underwhelmed by the fight scene at the end of episode 4? I didn't think it was particularly good but all of my friends thought it was the greatest thing ever...

Yeah, it was okay but not the most gripping fight the show's had. I was more put off the showed ended after that like 8 minutes early..

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
All the fights in this episode were kind of disappointing, they just didn't feel fluid.

Melisandre is still around, so I don't get your point. How is she not perceived as evil? She's a cold hearted murderer for a milktoast wannabe king.

Melisandre?

It's funny because I know she's done some evil shit, but for some reason I don't see her as a true villainous character

Is it possible for The Hound to have survived ? I really miss him. He was the best character on the show.

I hope so, even last week/or the week before Podrick said to Brienne you defeated The Hound. Never said anything about him dying.

Is it possible for The Hound to have survived ? I really miss him. He was the best character on the show.

I went back and rewatched some season 3 scenes, including The Hound's trial by combat, and when The Hound was set free Beric said "the Lord of Light isn't done with you yet". Just something interesting to consider, what if The Hound could be brought back through the Lord of Light? The idea doesn't make much sense but it's an interesting line.

I went back and rewatched some season 3 scenes, including The Hound's trial by combat, and when The Hound was set free Beric said "the Lord of Light isn't done with you yet". Just something interesting to consider, what if The Hound could be brought back through the Lord of Light? The idea doesn't make much sense but it's an interesting line.

Frankenmountain vs Jesushound Lol

I miss the hound :(

Damerman

i thought it was really good. And i thought the actor for barristan selmey moved like a young person. i enjoyed it immensely.

Vashetti

Banned
jZ1HQlt.jpg

#WardenessOfTheNorth

:D

Linkhero1

Nice observation. I forgot about his exchange with Beric. Bring back The Hound!

Anyone else thought Jaime's "I want to die in the arms of my lover" line grating? Not only because its completely cheesy and makes Jaime look like lovelorn nincompoop, but also because he has to at least figure out by now that Bronne knows whats up. Why telegraph stuff about your lover to him? Maybe he wants Bronne to know? I dunno. It just felt out of place.

Vashetti

Banned
Anyone else thought Jaime's "I want to die in the arms of my lover" line grating? Not only because its completely cheesy and makes Jaime look like lovelorn nincompoop, but also because he has to at least figure out by now that Bronne knows whats up. Why telegraph stuff about your lover to him? Maybe he wants Bronne to know? I dunno. It just felt out of place.

Bronn already knows, did you not notice the exchange of glances when Jaime called Myrcella his niece?

Camwi

My wife said the same thing. It was badly done.

Then again, it shouldn't have been much of a fight in the first place. Trained-for-life warriors with spears and shields against a group of radicals with knives? Come on.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
My wife said the same thing. I was badly done.

Then again, it shouldn't have been much of a fight in the first place. Trained-for-life warriors with spears and shields against a group of radicals with knives? Come on.

This. It was a farce.

DarkKyo

Do you know for fact that's what the sons of harpies are? What if they are a secret force of assassins that was around before the masters were killed?

Valus

Ancient Romans were masters of spear + shield combo. But even they would drop the spear and pull out the sword at their hip when they were forced into close quarter fights. I don't recall if the Unsullied had swords at their hips, but if they didn't, shame on them.

Camwi

It could make sense if that healer guy used the Lord of the Light's healing powers on The Hound as he lay there bleeding out.

Do you know for fact that's what the sons of harpies are? What if they are a secret force of assassins that was around before the masters were killed?

I don't know anything, but even if what you say were true, assassins aren't warriors. They operate best from the shadows. The Unsullied had to have been trained throughout their lives how to handle multiple opponents who at least wielded swords.

I'm not going to pretend to be some fighting expert, but I would imagine with the situation they faced, the Unsullied would start using their spears as you would a quarterstaff, keeping the assassins at bay until an opportunity to strike appeared. I'm sure I'm just overthinking this, but that whole scene left a weird taste in my mouth.

Ancient Romans were masters of spear + shield combo. But even they would drop the spear and pull out the sword at their hip when they were forced into close quarter fights. I don't recall if the Unsullied had swords at their hips, but if they didn't, shame on them.

I don't think they did have swords. I know the main fight took place in a larger room, but weren't there also some Unsullied killed in a hallway? I could be remembering that wrong. One would think that that's the perfect place to hide behind your shield and stab away.

Vashetti

Banned

Look at the outfits the Sons of the Harpy are wearing, minus the golden masks, and rewatch the early S4 episodes where we see lots of Meereen slave masters and observe the outfits.

The Sons of the Harpy are jaded slave masters.

Oh shit.

rambis

Banned
Good thing Mereen is across the Narrow Sea from Westeros, then :p

Camwi

Posted already.

Braavosi people speak similarly, news at 10.

Bummer that it was posted already.

I always just assumed it was because they were both from Braavos, but the theory I found interesting is that what if Syrio was never killed (we never did see him die), but instead was captured? That would explain why we see Jaqen locked up in a cage.

EDIT - Now that I've actually done a search, I can see that this has all been discussed already. Sorry, new to the thread.

Curufinwe

They are more than likely the highly trained, battle tested, pit fighters whose entire industry has been shut down by Dany.

Knives > spears in a cramped alleyway.

OctoMan

Banned
Cersei arming the sparrows at the expense of Tommen seems really really stupid, even by her low standards. Didn't really get it.

rambis

Banned
Braavosi characters we've seen so far:

Syrio
Jaqen
Ship captain (took Arya to Braavos)

All have similar dialect.
None of the people of the iron bank spoke similarly. We've also seen more unnamed characters who haven't spoke the way they do. What of the other girl in training?

Curufinwe

Look at the outfits the Sons of the Harpy are wearing, minus the golden masks, and rewatch the early S4 episodes where we see lots of Meereen slave masters and observe the outfits.

The Sons of the Harpy are jaded slave masters.

Former slave masters are wealthy and used to a life of luxury. Would they risk their own lives in urban combat, or would they pay unemployed pit fighters to do their dirty work?

Camwi

They are more than likely the highly trained, battle tested, pit fighters whose entire industry has been shut down by Dany.

Knives > spears in a cramped alleyway.

Good theory as to who they are, but there's no way knives are superior to spears and shields in a cramped alleyway. As I said in a previous post, they would be able to hide behind their shields and stab away to their hearts' content. Against swords, maybe you would have to pull out some phalanx move with the shields, but one warrior should be able to hold off knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom