• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

According to the Grantland writer Andy Greenwald HBO aren't sending out screeners anymore.

@andygreenwald: I should probably also mention this is the last recap that'll post on Sunday night. HBO sez no more visions in the flames aka screeners.

What happened here, looks like a bunch of posts got deleted.

I don't want Cersei to die, as scum bag as she is, she's a great character and a great actress.

What happened here, looks like a bunch of posts got deleted.

I don't want Cersei to die, as scum bag as she is, she's a great character and a great actress.

Lena is awesome

BUT

I will never forgive Cersei
for killing Lady
>:| Never ever

Also she's running thin with me on her psychosis of fratricide obsession. Her new schtick vs Margaery gives her character a fresher breath of air for me.

Cersei's demise will be for something extremely stupid that she over looks I'm betting. Couldn't guess what but for as good a schemer she is it would be fitting

Also she's running thin with me on her psychosis of fratricide obsession. Her new schtick vs Margaery gives her character a fresher breath of air for me.

If she goes, what female villains are left? None. She can't die.

Also, when the hell are we going to see the what's going on with Frankenmountain.

Also, when the hell are we going to see the what's going on with Frankenmountain.

what if Margery turns out as bad/evil as cersei?

I mean she has hinted that she could/would kill people if she needed to. I remember something she said to loras hinting something along those lines. Obviously it wouldn't be by her hands, but the Old Woman Tyrell was potentially evil too.

And there is also the Martell woman who is very angry and vengeful

Valar morghulis

tumblr_lv45cimRhT1qci0cso2_500.gif

what if Margery turns out as bad/evil as cersei?

I mean she has hinted that she could/would kill people if she needed to. I remember something she said to loras hinting something along those lines. Obviously it wouldn't be by her hands, but the Old Woman Tyrell was potentially evil too.

And there is also the Martell woman who is very angry and vengeful

I definitely think Margaery has a good amount of evil in her and does a damn good job hiding it. But I don't think she'd be as vicious, cruel or hateful as Cersei.

Ryck

I'm glad the Jon parentage is coming to the forefront. It would be nice to get a confirmation. At the very least, we are seeing that Roberts side of the story isn't the only one. Mad King or no, Robert seems like the kind of guy who went to war for entirely selfish reasons, and would explain why Varys has been working for so long supporting the Targeryans.
The Mad King killed Ned's father and brother and order Jon Aryn to arrest Ned so he would be executed as well.

Im sure others can fill the most hateable role easily... this is GRRM universe we are talking about! Like how the Boltons are rising in prominence now...

I'd be sad if Lena goes away from the show though

But I will never ever forgive Cersei~ NEVARRRR

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cersei is the worst but being an excellent villain and causing so much frustrating pain for other characters makes for good television. I feel her dying would be a bit anticlimactic in that respect, but you never know, she is a legitimately horrible person to everyone, especially those who don't deserve it. I think the hardest thing will be if they ever try to write in a redemption arc. Though I figure that was reserved for Jamie.

Nothing in particular, I just get this feeling that she's really two faced and does a damn good job of playing the sweet girl when she's ultimately an evil person.

I think there's a lot of common ground between Margery and Cersei actually. They're both ruthless and power hungry, the difference being Margery is a bit more relaxed and clever about how to obtain it, and Cersei kinda lucked into it, is an idiot, and is reckless with her use of power. Cersei can see exactly what Margery is doing because it's the kind of shit she'd do herself, and Margery knows Cersei can see it.

I think there's a lot of common ground between Margery and Cersei actually. They're both ruthless and power hungry, the difference being Margery is a bit more relaxed and clever about how to obtain it, and Cersei kinda lucked into it, is an idiot, and is reckless with her use of power. Cersei can see exactly what Margery is doing because it's the kind of shit she'd do herself, and Margery knows Cersei can see it.

That's a good analysis, but I don't think being ruthless or power hungry are intrinsically bad things. Margaery has been doing lots of good with her power, so if that's what she hungers for then I'll absolutely cheer her on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's a good analysis, but I don't think being ruthless or power hungry are intrinsically bad things. Margaery has been doing lots of good with her power, so if that's what she hungers for then I'll absolutely cheer her on.

Yeah, pretty much. I think that's the difference between the two; they both know how to play the game and are willing to put on an act and manipulate people to obtain and stay in power, but they both apply the strategy differently. Margaery might have a legitimately good heart, but she's also well aware of the strength behind positive public image. If the people love you you've got one less fight. Cersei has (or had) the power and doesn't give a fuck, and so is a bit more reckless in her diplomacy.

I think the hardest thing will be if they ever try to write in a redemption arc.

That would suck.

Other than visiting the poor that one time I don't remember her doing anything else that was good.

She worked with Joffrey to try to get him kinder, and she offered the spare wedding food to the poor. She was also very generous and understanding with Renly, and has treated Sansa very kindly.

I really like how complex Marge is <3 She's just awesome. Equal parts of ruthless and sweetness.

Cersei needs to take a few pages from her book, imo

She worked with Joffrey to try to get him kinder, and she offered the spare wedding food to the poor. She was also very generous and understanding with Renly, and has treated Sansa very kindly.

She wanted Joffrey to be liked so she would remain queen.

Spare food, yeah that was good.

With Renly she had no choice if she wanted to remain queen.

Even Cersei treated Sansa kindly.

But my main point is, again, that I think she's a really good two face and isn't what she sells.

So was it her grandma that killed joffrey on her own, or was it Margery asking for Joffrey to be killed?

Was it ever definitive who killed joffrey? Or deliberately left ambiguous? Did Varys or Littlefinger own up to it?

I cant remember how the last series went down now, haha.

She wanted Joffrey to be liked so she would remain queen.

Spare food, yeah that was good.

With Renly she had no choice if she wanted to remain queen.

Even Cersei treated Sansa kindly.

But my main point is, again, that I think she's a really good two face and isn't what she sells.

In her case, the means justify the ends.

So was it her grandma that killed joffrey on her own, or was it Margery asking for Joffrey to be killed?

Was it ever definitive who killed joffrey? Or deliberately left ambiguous? Did Varys or Littlefinger own up to it?

I think the implication is Olenna and Petyr planned it. Although it's technically possible that Margaery had a hand in it, she was pretty clearly upset that it happened before she consumated the marraige and was made queen.

Alpende

I liked the episode. Those Sparrows are crazy, if Joffrey was still alive he would've killed them all. I did find the last fight scene somewhat weird, it felt off like it wasn't that well choreographed or something. Other than that, shits going down.

Stannis is the coolest.

I hated when bronn asked jamie how he wanted to die. Jamie said in the arms of the woman she loved... That is some neckbeard grrm foreshadowing right there if i ever see one.

What happens when Tommen dies ? I have the feeling he's going to die, because I kinda like him..

Never forget: Jaime is an asshole forever. I do not forgive,

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I liked the episode. Those Sparrows are crazy, if Joffrey was still alive he would've killed them all. I did find the last fight scene somewhat weird, it felt off like it wasn't that well choreographed or something. Other than that, shits going down.

Stannis is the coolest.

It would've been a bloodbath there and then if this happened when Joff was still king.

I think the last scene felt off to me but just because it had to be fucking Grey Worm and Ser Barrison that made it through didn't it? Of COURSE it was only the main 2 that were left fighting at the end, none of the other unsullied could have shown the same fight GW did.

Baelish took the credit for it, but I mean, we don't know the truth for certain.

borborygmus

Arming the sparrows seems incredibly short sighted of Cersei given her own sins.

One thing that was a bit sloppy in the episode was that Tommen's signature was required to arm them in the first place. Cersei promised she would get Tommen's approval, and then it immediately cut to the scene of the Sparrows setting up their army.

Later, Tommen didn't really seem to be aware of the Sparrows being armed or what that meant.

It's also too convenient that there wasn't a scene where Tommen spoke to Cersei about what was going on. They'd pretty clearly disagree about what the fanatics were doing, and I'd like to see how Tommen would handle that. He may be weak, but ultimately, his word is law, and he would get his way. I don't buy that he isn't getting his way against his mom.

rambis

Banned

The grandma admitted to it and Little Finger basically admitted to cooperating.
That would suck.

Other than visiting the poor that one time I don't remember her doing anything else that was good.
She donated food to the poor at the wedding. Ot at least she tried to until Cersei stopped it. But she does talk of her charity from time to time.

Given the length of the show I don't think they need to waste precious screen time on random acts of kindness. Its implied well enough, the people treat her like "Mhysa" whenever she comes thru the city.

One thing that was a bit sloppy in the episode was that Tommen's signature was required to arm them in the first place. Cersei promised she would get Tommen's approval, and then it immediately cut to the scene of the Sparrows setting up their army.

Later, Tommen didn't really seem to be aware of the Sparrows being armed or what that meant.

It's also too convenient that there wasn't a scene where Tommen spoke to Cersei about what was going on. They'd pretty clearly disagree about what the fanatics were doing, and I'd like to see how Tommen would handle that. He may be weak, but ultimately, his word is law, and he would get his way. I don't buy that he isn't getting his way against his mom.
His word isn't law. He has a regent. Joffrey threw everything off with his term and how he grasped power but Tommen is far too young to rule. And he hasn't shown the attitude that he would rebel.

Honestly I don't get the "weak" comments. He's a young boy who seemingly doesn't have much interest in being King. And he probably didn't know how to respond to the incest comments thrown at him. He's probably confused as shit about what they were saying.

borborygmus

His word isn't law. He has a regent. Joffrey threw everything off with his term and how he grasped power but Tommen is far too young to rule. And he hasn't shown the attitude that he would rebel.

Honestly I don't get the "weak" comments. He's a young boy who seemingly doesn't have much interest in being King. And he probably didn't know how to respond to the incest comments thrown at him. He's probably confused as shit about what they were saying.

I'm not clear on how official the regency is, this time around. I know Cersei's handling the small council meetings, but I don't think Cersei can openly oppose any decision he makes. I'd have liked to see them interact last episode, and it was a bit contrived that they didn't.

Stating that he's weak is just a fact, not really a complaint or criticism, and it's relative to the people of the world in the show. He's one of the most virtuous characters, but unfortunately that just increases the likelihood that he's going to get tortured/killed.

Margaery has always struck me as the type who wants to be liked and loved by the people because she understands its importance, but she isn't afraid to scheme and exercise her power to get what she wants. I think the key difference between her and Cersei is that Cersei takes after her father in not concerning herself with the opinions of sheep. Margaery understands that a good queen is loved as much or even more than as she is feared.

I find it amazing that Cersei who loves her children more than anything (except maybe power) just completely undermined her son. I don't think this is going to end well for Tommen.

I find it amazing that Cersei who loves her children more than anything (except maybe power) just completely undermined her son. I don't think this is going to end well for Tommen.

Cersei knows Tommen would just be Margery's puppet anyways, as indicated by his suggestion that she return to Casterly Rock. In her eyes she's undermining him in order to protect him from Margery's manipulation.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's quite literally a case of "mommy knows best".

Only that mom is a vicious imbecile who thinks she's way smarter than she actually is.

Melisandre is still around, so I don't get your point. How is she not perceived as evil? She's a cold hearted murderer for a milktoast wannabe king.

Curufinwe

I think the implication is Olenna and Petyr planned it. Although it's technically possible that Margaery had a hand in it, she was pretty clearly upset that it happened before she consumated the marraige and was made queen.

Consumating the marriage would only have mattered if she had got pregnant. Otherwise when Joffrey died, Tommen was next in line for the throne. She had to marry him to be Queen. And she did.

rambis

Banned
I'm not clear on how official the regency is, this time around. I know Cersei's handling the small council meetings, but I don't think Cersei can openly oppose any decision he makes. I'd have liked to see them interact last episode, and it was a bit contrived that they didn't.

Stating that he's weak is just a fact, not really a complaint or criticism, and it's relative to the people of the world in the show. He's one of the most virtuous characters, but unfortunately that just increases the likelihood that he's going to get tortured/killed.
It can be a fact and still be pretty nonsensical to point out, they are not mutually exclusive and I think that's the case here.

And I don't agree with the last statement either. There's been plenty of deaths, from both sides of the coin. Its a story, plot determines who needs to die or not. I don't see what the plot would gain from tommens death. He hasn't wronged anybody, there would be no sense of revenge with offrey already gone. And the implications would only seem to put Stannis on the throne as the rightful king.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Cersei goes full on jihad?

I wonder if the arming of the birdies will backfire on her.
She slept with the cousin that's one of them, so he knows that she committed a crime against the gods (I guess that counts too), and if he's a bit smart he'll start thinking that Tommen might really be Jamie's son.
They could try and kill them both, maybe only Tommen will die and she'll be all kinds of broken (I kind of hope that happens, even if I like Tommen).

Sure, they'll have to kill the cousin too, but he's going nuts, he'll see it as penitence or something I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom