• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imply it as robert and ned didn't know lyanna ran off with rhaegar, and when ned found out he never told robert. He also gave the crown to Robert so maybe as a guilt thing... but obviously this is all speculation if jon was lyanna kid or whatever.

With how this show is this could be all for lulz and means nothing.

How could Jon be Lyanna's kid? That's ...... Confusing. I mean unless Lyanna was already pregnant it would of been at minimum 9 months before she gave birth. So for that to be any kind of possibility Lyanna would have to run off with Rhaegar, get pregnant, have the kid and then somehow give the kid to Ned ( why? ) and during this whole time Robert not find out. Nah that just doesn't make much sense

You are right Robert could of simply not known about Lyanna running off with Rhaegar and treated it as a kidnapping. But either way something tells me the reaction from Robert would of been similar.

Or it happened like Robert thought an Rhaegar had a thing for Lyanna but the feeling was not mutual. So Rhaegar just took her for his own anyway

Griss

This thread has turned to shit.

Both what littlefinger said to Sansa and what was going to happen to loris were "theorised" in this thread, then the mod comes in and says for book lovers to stay out of here.

I'm pretty sure I know what is going to happen to cercei and Jamie and myrcella as well, because people can't help themselves.

And Jon is part targaryan was also "theorised" early on this season and now that looks likely too considering what Sansa said and ned coming back from the war with a kid and melisandre feeling something special with him.

I'm out of this thread now, too many people getting their theories right.

Think that's paranoia to be honest. Haven't noticed it myself. Some people will naturally get some stuff right. Didn't notice anyone predicting Loras's fate, either. And I don't think book readers actually have a firm grasp of what's happening either, judging by some episode reviews saying that they've gone firmly off-piste (which is great).

This isn't a series that's finished. No one can spoil the ending, or (I believe) anything that happens beyond this season.

I've read the whole thread, and I have no idea what will happen to Cersei, Jamie or Myrcella. I have my guesses, and I've stated them, but I haven't seen anything that smelled like a spoiler.

Ferrio

Banned
How could Jon be Lyanna's kid? That's ...... Confusing. I mean unless Lyanna was already pregnant it would of been at minimum 9 months before she gave birth. So for that to be any kind of possibility Lyanna would have to run off with Rhaegar, get pregnant, have the kid and then somehow give the kid to Ned ( why? ) and during this whole time Robert not find out. Nah that just doesn't make much sense

You are right Robert could of simply not known about Lyanna running off with Rhaegar and treated it as a kidnapping. But either way something tells me the reaction from Robert would of been similar.

Or it happened like Robert thought an Rhaegar had a thing for Lyanna but the feeling was not mutual. So Rhaegar just took her for his own anyway

Well the timespan was long enough for people to believe Ned fathered a son during the war, so Lyanna fathering a son is equally plausible. As for giving it away.. I'm pretty sure Robert would of had the kid killed if he knew it was Rhaegars. Ned claming it as his own would save the life of his nephew.

Huesos

Neo Member
Selyse and Stannis talking about Jon Snow:

Selyse: A bastard by some tavern slut.
Stannis: Perhaps, but that wasn't Ned Stark's way.
Me: Honorable Ned Stark, fucking tavern sluts? No way.

Littlefinger and Sansa talking about Lyanna and Rhaegar:

Littlefinger: How many tens of thousands died because Rhaegar chose your aunt?
Sansa: Yes, he chose her. Then he kidnapped her and raped her.
Littlefinger: ...
Me: Or did he?

Ned Stark and Jon Snow talking about Jon's mother:
Jon Snow: Is my mother alive? Does she know about me, where I am or where I am going? Does she care?
Ned Stark: The next time we speak to each other, we'll talk about your mother.
Me: Why is it such a big secret? Huh?

Well the timespan was long enough for people to believe Ned fathered a son during the war, so Lyanna fathering a son is equally plausible. As for giving it away.. I'm pretty sure Robert would of had the kid killed if he knew it was Rhaegars. Ned claming it as his own would save the life of his nephew.

Yeah but how would Lyanna who is supposed to be dead somehow get a child into Neds hands In the middle of a war that he is actively involved in? Ned was in kings landing when It fell. He brought back a baby to Winterfell. So somehow Lyanna has the kid, ships it to Kings Landing to Ned and Ned takes the baby back to Winterfell in the span of 10 months or so? Dunno how old the child was when Ned arrived.

But that just doesn't make much sense. And why would Ned with all his honor keep that secret from his own wife? Sure keep it secret from everyone else but she def. hated Jon and wanted him the hell out of there and to her " it was a constant reminder " of Ned's infidelity.

I don't see Ned keeping that secret from her if it actually wasn't his own kid. He would trust her to be able to keep the secret I think

Now that I think about it. Where was Robert and Rhaegar and Lyanna? Were they in Kings Landing together? For some reason I am thinking they were fighting this tournament somewhere else. Was the tournament mentioned in Kings Landing?

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah but how would Lyanna who is supposed to be dead somehow get a child into Neds hands In the middle of a war that he is actively involved in? Ned was in kings landing when It fell. He brought back a baby to Winterfell. So somehow Lyanna has the kid, ships it to Kings Landing to Ned and Ned takes the baby back to Winterfell in the span of 10 months or so? Dunno how old the child was when Ned arrived.

But that just doesn't make much sense. And why would Ned with all his honor keep that secret from his own wife? Sure keep it secret from everyone else but she def. hated Jon and wanted him the hell out of there and to her " it was a constant reminder " of Ned's infidelity.

I don't see Ned keeping that secret from her if it actually wasn't his own kid. He would trust her to be able to keep the secret I think

From the wiki, she died in Ned's arms.

Huesos

Neo Member
On the other hand, Jon doesn't look a lot like a Targaryen. He looks like a Stark, although that could of course be explained by reference to Lyanna being his mother...

I guess Lyanna would be Ice and Rhaegar would be fire, then? A song of ice and fire.

Have any of you watched the special features on the blurays? They get into a ton of the back story of Roberts rebellion. Really good stuff.

From the wiki, she died in Ned's arms.

I need to read about these events. I'm totally confused lol. I thought Lyanna was kidnapped and taken back to Rhaegar's homeland or something and Robert went to war to get her back. Was thinking maybe instead Lyanna just ran off with Rhaegar back to Valaria(?). And that pissed off Robert and he went to war with The Targaryen including the King himself who was Targaryen.

But if Lyanna died in Ned's arms it would of been in Kings Landing right? Or did it happen in Valaria or somewhere else. Yeh I need to go read about this war lol

Jackpot

Banned
This thread has turned to shit.

Both what littlefinger said to Sansa and what was going to happen to loris were "theorised" in this thread, then the mod comes in and says for book lovers to stay out of here.

I'm pretty sure I know what is going to happen to cercei and Jamie and myrcella as well, because people can't help themselves.

And Jon is part targaryan was also "theorised" early on this season and now that looks likely too considering what Sansa said and ned coming back from the war with a kid and melisandre feeling something special with him.

I'm out of this thread now, too many people getting their theories right.

ugh, nothing more annoying than paranoiacs screaming "SPOILER!!!!!" everywhere. So many theories get posted it'd be weird if none of them were correct.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
ugh, nothing more annoying than paranoiacs screaming "SPOILER!!!!!" everywhere. So many theories get posted it'd be weird if none of them were correct.

Yeah, I joined the show late and still guessed a fair amount of deaths/plot lines correctly. The whole point of stories is that they follow a cohesive logical path, if absolutely nobody predicted a twist right it was probably a bad twist.

Ridli

I'm glad the Jon parentage is coming to the forefront. It would be nice to get a confirmation. At the very least, we are seeing that Roberts side of the story isn't the only one. Mad King or no, Robert seems like the kind of guy who went to war for entirely selfish reasons, and would explain why Varys has been working for so long supporting the Targeryans.

Huesos

Neo Member
So the theory is that Ned kept Jon's parentage a secret because if Robert and others found out, Jon might end up dead. But would Robert really do that? He already had the throne and this was the child of the woman he loved.

Ferrio

Banned
So the theory is that Ned kept Jon's parentage a secret because if Robert and others found out, Jon might end up dead. But would Robert really do that? He already had the throne and this was the child of the woman he loved.

Same reason he was trying to kill Dany and her brother.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Jon's parentage has been speculated for freaking ever. It's basically one of the series mysteries. That he's the son of the Mad King and Lyanna is one of the most accepted versions, but also that he may be one of Robert's bastards given Jon's hair and the whole "the seed is strong" thing.

Let's not get crazy there.

Nameless

Funny because Oberyn seems convinced Lyanna and Rhaegar ran off together, but in the North the narrative is he kidnapped and raped her, which makes since given what the Targaryens did to Ned's father and brother.

I think Snow could be Robert and Lyanna's too: Jet black hair, strong, natural warrior. It would also better explain Melisandre's interest in him as so far she's only been interested in King's blood/DNA from the Baratheon line - Stannis, Gendry, Shireen.

Yeah, I joined the show late and still guessed a fair amount of deaths/plot lines correctly. The whole point of stories is that they follow a cohesive logical path, if absolutely nobody predicted a twist right it was probably a bad twist.

I don't know about that. I don't think anyone (here) expected or predicted the Little Finger twist at the start of last season and that certainly wasn't a bad twist. I think that if a twist isn't predicted it makes it a great one, what's the point of twists if everyone expects them because they're predictable?

Cake Boss

Banned
When is this shit gonna get picked up. Everyone is just posting up at their cribs just chillin and shit.

I thought dragon lady was heading to the west to claim her throne, sit your fat white ass up and move lady.

Plus Stannis the fuck happened to your movement, you're just letting Jon Snow pork your red lady, move your ass.

And winter has been coming for 5 seasons now, do we have a set date. get a climatologist on this shit to figure out once and for all.

What happened to the baby eaters?

Plus the dragons, where are my dragons!!

Sorry this show is just getting complacent, not a whole lot of shit is happening right now compared to past seasons.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think Snow could be Robert and Lyanna's too: Jet black hair, strong, natural warrior. It would also better explain Melisandre's interest in him as so far she's only been interested in King's blood/DNA from the Baratheon line - Stannis, Gendry, Shireen.

Yeah, I'm going with Lyanna and Robert, with Ed hiding him just to avoid the Lannisters getting any silly ideas or the Mad King killing him (and somehow Jon's real parentage being kept in the shadows because of reasons).

Ferrio

Banned
Funny because Oberyn seems convinced Lyanna and Rhaegar ran off together, but in the North the narrative is he kidnapped and raped her, which makes since given what the Targaryens did to Ned's father and brother.

Why would Ned hide Robert's son from him? Not to mention Ned did say his blood flows through him.

Venture

I don't see Ned keeping that secret from her if it actually wasn't his own kid. He would trust her to be able to keep the secret I think?
That's the one real sticking point I see with the theory. But if Ned made a promise not to tell anyone you know he'd probably keep it. Even if it meant not telling his wife.

Have any of you watched the special features on the blurays? They get into a ton of the back story of Roberts rebellion. Really good stuff.
I love all that stuff. I think they make it all available on YouTube eventually too don't they?

I'm not 100% sure but wasn't it ned's older brothers that went to war? Then after they died ned and robert carried on the torch? Catlyen wad suppose to married Ned's older brother if i remember correctly, but he died so she married Ned.

Huesos

Neo Member
That's the one real sticking point I see with the theory. But if Ned made a promise not to tell anyone you know he'd probably keep it. Even if it meant not telling his wife.

Good point. God damn this is starting to make too much sense to me. Jon would still be a bastard though, right? Cause Rhaegar was already married to that Elia chick?

Nameless

Why would Ned hide Robert's son from him? Not to mention Ned did say his blood flows through him.

Ned wouldn't have known necessarily who the father was. For all we know it might not have clicked until he uncovered all the "seed is strong " stuff. Plus his general dislike/distrust of the Lannisters came from how they slaughtered the Targaryen children when sacking the capital, never mind most bastards aren't treated with much esteem in Westeros, especially not in King's Landing.

Ferrio

Banned
Ned wouldn't have known necessarily who the father was. For all we know it might not have clicked until he uncovered all the "seed is strong " stuff. Plus his general dislike/distrust of the Lannisters came from how they slaughtered the Targaryen children when sacking the capital, never mind most bastards aren't treated with much esteem in Westeros, especially not in King's Landing.

Could be, but I'm thinking Robert never got the chance to hit it before she ran off.

Xamdou

Lyanna and Rhaeger story from the pov of Little Finger and Sir Selmy in this ep was a dead give away that Jon is their child. Of course Ned will take care of his nephew no matter how many lies he tells, Jon is Lyanna's kid makes too much sense. Really sad that Sir Barriston left the world of GoT like that, him telling the story of Rhaegar to Daenerys was one of my favorite scenes this season.

I love all that stuff. I think they make it all available on YouTube eventually too don't they?

Seeing how Ned was he was honorable but still human. I could see him in a drunken state after battles and a war just lose his conscious over some insanely hot woman at a brothel for a night and then beat himself up for the rest of his life.

But I can't see him lying to his wife for the sake of another. Especially with that sort of twist. To earn disdain and to lose the trust of his wife because the kid isn't his but is his nephew who also happens to be a Targaryen? I dunno, something just doesn't seem right with that one. Cool theory though and the mysterious nature over Lyanna's kidnapping and then reappearance and mysterious death is kind of odd.

So for the theory to be true Ned would of had to of found Lyanna somewhere in Dorne(?) where Lyanna was " being hidden " and possibly dying from childbirth and he then takes Lyanna's baby and raises it as his own, knowing the child wasn't his. Thus losing the trust of his wife and keeping up with a lie for the kids entire life.

I still think he would of told his wife eventually the real truth.

But, now that I got the sequence of events in my head it is possible for Ned to have found Lyanna giving birth and she died from that childbirth( died in his arms ) and he promised to keep it all a secret and then cooked up the story about the other woman. And Ned doesn't talk about the woman even with Robert.

Interesting. Would that make Jon, Jon Warborn Targaryen?

But isn't the Targaryen line all white headed?

Xamdou

Seeing how Ned was he was honorable but still human. I could see him in a drunken state after battles and a war just lose his conscious over some insanely hot woman at a brothel for a night and then beat himself up for the rest of his life.

But I can't see him lying to his wife for the sake of another. Especially with that sort of twist. To earn disdain and to lose the trust of his wife because the kid isn't his but is his nephew who also happens to be a Targaryen? I dunno, something just doesn't seem right with that one. Cool theory though and the mysterious nature over Lyanna's kidnapping and then reappearance and mysterious death is kind of odd.

So for the theory to be true Ned would of had to of found Lyanna somewhere in Dorne(?) where Lyanna was " being hidden " and possibly dying from childbirth and he then takes Lyanna's baby and raises it as his own, knowing the child wasn't his. Thus losing the trust of his wife and keeping up with a lie for the kids entire life.

But, now that I got the sequence of events in my head it is possible for Ned to have found Lyanna giving birth and she died from that childbirth and he promised to keep it all a secret and then cooked up the story about the other woman. And Ned doesn't talk about the woman even with Robert.

Pure bred Targaryan's were white headed, mixed blooded one's have darker hair. An example would be House baratheon having ancestors with Targaryan blood.

woen

She can't stand the Tyrells, she hates their family, and her stupidity blinds her. I can see why other people think she's going to at least keep the father hostage, because she already went after the brother. Cersei is RULED by her fears and her insecurities. She thinks all her kids are going to die before her, and she thinks she's smarter than she actually is. That's why she hate Tyrion so much on top of Tyrion being the "reason" her mother died. Tyrion had Tywin's acumen and Cersei does not. I think people are seeing her sending off one of the Tyrel's with a snake of a Kingsguard as Cersei intending to kill that guy because she's not smart enough to do anything else. She doesn't care that they owe money, she doesn't really care about anything except getting her daughter out of Dorne and killing Tyrion.

This.

She also cares about Tommen and tries to keep the power with him in her hand, despite how Margery became a trustworthy person for him.

But, now that I got the sequence of events in my head it is possible for Ned to have found Lyanna giving birth and she died from that childbirth( died in his arms ) and he promised to keep it all a secret and then cooked up the story about the other woman. And Ned doesn't talk about the woman even with Robert.

All the inbred for sure, but not the bastards.
House_Targaryen_Family_tree.jpg

Saw that picture a while back, and I decided to google the black hair dude. Pretty much he has black hair and is Tageryen who was also a great warrior,. Jon could very well be similar to him.

Pure bred Targaryan's were white headed, mixed blooded one's have darker hair. An example would be House baratheon having ancestors with Targaryan blood.

Oh that's right the Targaryens imbred to keep the family line pure which is what Cersei wanted to do with the Lannister family line as well.

Interesting. I always just figured Ned never talked about the other woman for the very simple reason of not being proud of that moment where he lost all sense of honor and ended up with a child due to that moment.

Not telling Catalyn though. That irks me. Just doesn't sound like something Ned would think would be necessary

mantidor

Oh that's right the Targaryens imbred to keep the family line pure which is what Cersei wanted to do with the Lannister family line as well.

Interesting. I always just figured Ned never talked about the other woman for the very simple reason of not being proud of that moment where he lost all sense of honor and ended up with a child due to that moment.

Not telling Catalyn though. That irks me. Just doesn't sound like something Ned would think would be necessary

The kid would be dead if Robert would have found out, so the less people know the better. It makes sense.

This theory is so prevalent I feel they are going to change it just because it's almost accepted as canon at this point.

Ferrio

Banned
So who's left to tell Jon his parentage?

No one I suspect. That's why I think confirmation will come via dragon, or maybe melisandre.

The kid would be dead if Robert would have found out, so the less people know the better. It makes sense.

This theory is so prevalent I feel they are going to change it just because it's almost accepted as canon at this point.

That's my worry as well.

Maybe Ned was incestuous with Lyanna and she told him that Jon was his child, not a Targaryan.

It sort of explains a few things, Ned worshiping her tombstone, never telling his wife who the mother was, and always believing that Jon was his own.

Lyanna was a slut, confirmed.

Really sad that Sir Barriston left the world of GoT like that, him telling the story of Rhaegar to Daenerys was one of my favorite scenes this season.

How do you know he's dead? Everyone is assuming he's dead but Grey Worm is alive. They're both just as good as dead or alive at this point.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wikis based on the books don't belong in here.

I just feel like I'd be safer if I ignored any form of GoT-related media not strictly contained in this thread.

This has to be the *nth time I've been spoiled by AWOIAF's wiki. I never fucking learn. Man.

Edit: COME ON FOLKS, spoiler tag everything related to previews and the like. Don't be dicks.

I'm out of this thread until the mods cleanse it. Fuck.

That is true but would Ned not trust his wife to keep the family secret?

Catalyn seemed like Ned's other half with the same sense of honor. If Ned told her in their bed one night that if he tells her the truth must be kept secret else their whole family could be killed by Robert for secretly raising a hidden Targaryen child especially the child of Rhaegar who helped start the whole war and was the source of Roberts rage, I think Cat could of seen the obviousness of why she needed to keep the secret.

Maybe Ned did tell Cat and her hate for Jon Snow was a front? Was there ever a moment where Catalyn showed some hidden love or care for him after he left and Robert was gone? Can't think of any. That would be a good sign

Curufinwe

That is true but would Ned not trust his wife to keep the family secret?

Catalyn seemed like Ned's other half with the same sense of honor. If Ned told her in their bed one night that if he tells her the truth must be kept secret else their whole family could be killed by Robert for secretly raising a hidden Targaryen child especially the child of Rhaegar who helped start the whole war and was the source of Roberts rage, I think Cat could of seen the obviousness of why she needed to keep the secret.

Maybe Ned did tell Cat and her hate for Jon Snow was a front? Was there ever a moment where Catalyn showed some hidden love or care for him after he left and Robert was gone? Can't think of any. That would be a good sign

Yes, there's a scene where she laments being such a bitch to Jon Snow to Robb's eventual wife.

iNvid02

its ned man, you just know he would willingly suffer through all of that shit if it meant he could honor his sister's dying wish. the clues scattered around this episode, it lines up too nicely for it not to be true.

televator

Now that I think about it. Where was Robert and Rhaegar and Lyanna? Were they in Kings Landing together? For some reason I am thinking they were fighting this tournament somewhere else. Was the tournament mentioned in Kings Landing?

Robert's Rebellion was a pretty long and arduous campaign. Even after Kings landing was taken and secured by Ned, Robbert had to send Ned over to Baratheon turf to liberate it from the Tyrells. I think it may have been just before or after this event that Ned went to Lyana. And she might have just given birth at this time and died in the process.

Ned brought Lyana's body back personally. It's physically present there inside the crypts of Winterfell. Robert even complained about her being buried there during the beginning of season 1.

Ned values personal honor. What other people think of him can be secondary as long as he is true to his word. Plus, Jon had to be known as a bastard. Informants would have known that Katlyn never birthed Jon. Why did Ned never trust Katlyn with this though? I think there may be more to the last encounter Ned had with his sister, and Ned had only JUST married Kat before going off to war. He didn't know her that well. So even once he'd grown to trust her with this info, Kat had been a right bitch to Jon and revealing this truth later became harder. What would it do to Kat knowing that she had been terrible to this kid for no good reason?

Venture

Ned values personal honor. What other people think of him can be secondary as long as he is true to his word. Plus, Jon had to be known as a bastard. Informants would have known that Katlyn never birthed Jon. Why did Ned never trust Katlyn with this though? I think there may be more to the last encounter Ned had with his sister, and Ned had only JUST married Kat before going off to war. He didn't know her that well so even once he'd grown to trust her with this info. Kat had been a right bitch to Jon and revealing this truth later became harder. What would it do to Kat knowing that she had been terrible to this kid for no good reason?
That's a good point. Catelyn mentioned that she and Ned were not in love at all when they were first married and only grew into it over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom