• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonafunu

Re: the close of the season
Arya/Beric's conversation about Ned almost certainly has to set up the resurrection to close the season. It's expecting too much of the audience to ask them to remember it a year from now.

ASOS-ADWD
what does Cat's resurrection have to do with that conversation. That was about Ned specifically, and to explain the limits of the resurrection.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I definitely don't want to see Lady Stoneheart this season. In no way, shape or form. They can hint at it (I would still have problems with it, but less), but they shouldn't full on resurrect Cat this season.
Fuck the "Stark hope", or whatever. There is no hope for the Starks. It's exactly why Cat's resurrection should not be shown too early. The point of the Red Wedding is to destroy the last light the Starks had left. Keeping that hope alive would kill what made the RW so special. And lets be real, the Starks are completely out of the count after the RW. They're out of the game, almost for good (until Sansa steps in). I know people who stopped reading the books beause of the Red Wedding, at least for a couple of weeks. The show shouldn't change that. I get that they have ratings and all that jazz to worry about, I do. But it needs to be sad, brutal, shocking, gut-wrenching. Not just at that moment, but it should haunt the viewer, make them lose hope, heck, even make them hate the show for a while.
I think some people are underestimating how attached viewers get to shows. If this season ends the way it should, in total chaos and despair, it'll stick, and they'll come back next year. And they'll be rewarded for it, with the Purple Wedding.

Meh. Sorry for the rant.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
^

series

The worst part of them revealing Stoneheart this season will be a year of non-book readers thinking Rob isn't dead either. And I'll keep saying it, even Martin blew the timing on the Stoneheart reveal too early.

And there is hope for the Starks. Bran and Rickon are still out there, as is Sansa and Arya. Not to mention if the more popular theory about Jon's parent's are true that's Vary's plan and Stark Redemption rolled into one.

series
The worst part of them revealing Stoneheart this season will be a year of non-book readers thinking Rob isn't dead either.

And there is hope for the Starks. Bran and Rickon are still out there, as is Sansa and Arya. Not to mention if the more popular theory about Jon's parent's are true that's Vary's plan and Stark Redemption rolled into one.

Nah... ASOS
There's been some reports that they're full on showing the Greywind/Robb body.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Series
I expect non book readers to be more upset over Greywind than Robb. I can't imagine many non book readers giving a shit about Robb

The hell?

Robb is very popular in the show, and he's far more prominent a character than he ever was in the books. He was barely in the books.

Eidan

I really don't think that will stop people from speculating that Robb is alive.

If someone thinks Robb is coming back when his head has been replaced with a wolf's, I don't think there's much the show can do to thwart that stupidity.

ASOS-ADWD
what does Cat's resurrection have to do with that conversation. That was about Ned specifically, and to explain the limits of the resurrection.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I definitely don't want to see Lady Stoneheart this season. In no way, shape or form. They can hint at it (I would still have problems with it, but less), but they shouldn't full on resurrect Cat this season.
Fuck the "Stark hope", or whatever. There is no hope for the Starks. It's exactly why Cat's resurrection should not be shown too early. The point of the Red Wedding is to destroy the last light the Starks had left. Keeping that hope alive would kill what made the RW so special. And lets be real, the Starks are completely out of the count after the RW. They're out of the game, almost for good (until Sansa steps in). I know people who stopped reading the books beause of the Red Wedding, at least for a couple of weeks. The show shouldn't change that. I get that they have ratings and all that jazz to worry about, I do. But it needs to be sad, brutal, shocking, gut-wrenching. Not just at that moment, but it should haunt the viewer, make them lose hope, heck, even make them hate the show for a while.
I think some people are underestimating how attached viewers get to shows. If this season ends the way it should, in total chaos and despair, it'll stick, and they'll come back next year. And they'll be rewarded for it, with the Purple Wedding.

Meh. Sorry for the rant.

In my opinion, both types of endings give people something to talk about till the following season and that is what matters for finales. Keep the viewer interested so they return. (asos)
I do think however, there is more for people to think about if there is some sort of tease at Stoneheart by the end of this season though, even if it is as small as the brotherhood coming across the body. I think there is plenty of despair for the viewer still. Robb has just been murdered, his direwolf killed, Arya Stark is likely to be shown possibly dead, Sansa is off with Littlefinger who at this point in the show is clearly a Villian (before the big reveal of how hes even responsible in everything now), Bran and Rickon are likely split up, Jon is on the run from the Wildlings... I think that "idea" of her ressurection being a sign of hope is a good thing, especially when itll be revealed in the following season that shes a cold heartless bitch (beyond what she currently is :p) It is a complete 180 to what people will expect.

Eidan

In my opinion, both types of endings give people something to talk about till the following season and that is what matters for finales. Keep the viewer interested so they return.
I do think however, there is more for people to think about if there is some sort of tease at Stoneheart by the end of this season though, even if it is as small as the brotherhood coming across the body. I think there is plenty of despair for the viewer still. Robb has just been murdered, his direwolf killed, Arya Stark is likely to be shown possibly dead, Sansa is off with Littlefinger who at this point in the show is clearly a Villian (before the big reveal of how hes even responsible in everything now) I think that small glimmer of hope that a revived Catelyn might give is enough, especially considering that her "return" isn't what the viewer would expect.

ASOS
Sansa won't be going anywhere with Littlefinger this season.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
In my opinion, both types of endings give people something to talk about till the following season and that is what matters for finales. Keep the viewer interested so they return.
I do think however, there is more for people to think about if there is some sort of tease at Stoneheart by the end of this season though, even if it is as small as the brotherhood coming across the body. I think there is plenty of despair for the viewer still. Robb has just been murdered, his direwolf killed, Arya Stark is likely to be shown possibly dead, Sansa is off with Littlefinger who at this point in the show is clearly a Villian (before the big reveal of how hes even responsible in everything now) I think that small glimmer of hope that a revived Catelyn might give is enough, especially considering that her "return" isn't what the viewer would expect.

ASOS
While I can kind of see episode 9 ending with the axe going to Arya's head, I really don't expect them to hide her in episode 10.

I'm still kind of of the theory that the Brotherhood is going to take her to The Twins, and The Hound captures her in the confusion there, rather than him nabbing her and then going to the twins.

My roommate who has only watched the show thinks he's a moron and said he doesn't care if he dies haha.

ASOS
I feel like that will be the reaction from most males. Women will take it harder because Robb has one of the most decent relationships on the show.

(end season spoilers) The last shot of the season should be
Robb's body on a mock throne, with Grey Wind's head). The camera dollys back, to a man's back as he gazes on the body. "Heh.".

exYle

ASOS
While I can kind of see episode 9 ending with the axe going to Arya's head, I really don't expect them to hide her in episode 10.

I'm still kind of of the theory that the Brotherhood is going to take her to The Twins, and The Hound captures her in the confusion there, rather than him nabbing her and then going to the twins.

The preview for tomorrow episode seems to go against this prediction.

kirblar

ASOS-ADWD
ASOS
You really can't see the connection? Arya asks if they can resurrect her dad. Beric says they can't. Beric complains about the toll the resurrections are taking on him. Beric comes across Arya's Mother's dead body. Beric sacrifices himself to resurrect Catelyn. You need to do it all in one season to get the viewers to make the connection.

Trasher

Robb's body on a mock throne, with Grey Wind's head). The camera dollys back, to a man's back as he gazes on the body. "Heh.".

[end of season prediction]
I think it still makes the most sense to end it on Tyrion's scene, or with Catelyn's resurrection. Tyrion is super popular though, so I would lean more towards that event.

Snake

ASOS-ADWD

[ASOS-ADWD]
I agree 100% that the show should wait until Season 4 for the Stoneheart reveal. But the relevance of Beric's conversation with Arya is that she is desperate to get her father back, and Beric is guilty because that's just not in the cards.

So when he sees that now Arya's mother has been killed, he is driven by that heartbreak and gives his life to bring her back. The event stems directly from his conversation with Arya.

But once again, I totally agree that they shouldn't have Stoneheart this season.

FStop7

Banned
The hell?

Robb is very popular in the show, and he's far more prominent a character than he ever was in the books. He was barely in the books.

ASOS
Considering how some people were flipping their shit on Twitter and Tumblr over the death of Ros... they're going to absolutely lose it when Tyrion strangles Shae.

Yonafunu

[end of season prediction]
I think it still makes the most sense to end it on Tyrion's scene, or with Catelyn's resurrection. Tyrion is super popular though, so I would lean more towards that event.

ASOS
I can't quite remember which Tyrion scene you're talking about.

ASOS
You really can't see the connection? Arya asks if they can resurrect her dad. Beric says they can't. Beric complains about the toll the resurrections are taking on him. Beric comes across Arya's Mother's dead body. Beric sacrifices himself to resurrect Catelyn. You need to do it all in one season to get the viewers to make the connection.

ASOS
The line about resurrecting Ned isn't needed to make the connection. The only thing that line does is explain the limits of the resurrection to the viewer (and Arya). Look at your post. There is no connection between Arya asking about Ned and Beric saying it's not possible, and then the rest. It would be a connection if they had found Robb's decapitated body. Not in this case.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS
Considering how some people were flipping their shit on Twitter and Tumblr over the death of Ros... they're going to absolutely lose it when Tyrion strangles Shae.

ASOS
I don't know. People love Tyrion, and Tywin and Shae both had it coming. I really don't think people will flip out over their deaths.

[ASOS-ADWD]
I agree 100% that the show should wait until Season 4 for the Stoneheart reveal. But the relevance of Beric's conversation with Arya is that she is desperate to get her father back, and Beric is guilty because that's just not in the cards.

So when he sees that now Arya's mother has been killed, he is driven by that heartbreak and gives his life to bring her back. The event stems directly from his conversation with Arya.

But once again, I totally agree that they shouldn't have Stoneheart this season.

[ASoS/ Series]
The problem with having Stoneheart as the reveal to end this season is that people will be wondering what that means for next year, if its just them showing Thoros revive her and Cat opening her eyes or something.

The problem last season was that while the Wights/Others descending on the Fist was cool, they totally skimped out on the payoff in the season 3 opener. So if they have Cat being revived in episode 10 this year, how do they follow that up to answer people's questions it would inevitably raise?

In the books, the Stoneheart reveal works because its revealing Stoneheart hanging the one Frey, not just Cat being revived. Its showing how driven by vengeance she is and she is not simply Cat resurrected with everything back to normal.

[ASoS MAJOR spoiler]
Yeah, kind of like the montage they had last episode with Littlefinger's speech going over various scenes, it might be cool if they showed Robb/Grey Wind on a mock throne as part of some bigger montage.

Yonafunu

BIG ASOS
This is how I think episode 9 should end.

It should end with one long take, where the camera moves (dolly, I guess) back starting from Robb at the centre on a throne (with Grey Wind's head and the barbed crown), moving back through the hall basically zooming out from the centre and slowly revealing the massacre that just took place, like a still life. The scene ends when the camera has moved back almost completely out of the room, showing a full view of the bloodbath, and at the last stretch you see some Frey/Bolton men walking past the camera, out of the room, laughing and drinking, before the doors come swinging shut. All of that is one scene/take. End of the episode, no music during the end credits.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BIG ASOS

It should end with one long take, where the camera moves (dolly, I guess) back starting from Robb at the centre on a throne (with Grey Wind's head and the barbed crown), moving back through the hall basically zooming out from the centre and slowly revealing the massacre that just took place, like a still life. The scene ends when the camera has moved back almost completely out of the room, showing a full view of the bloodbath, and at the last stretch you see some Frey/Bolton men walking past the camera, out of the room, laughing and drinking, before the doors come swinging shut. All of that is one scene/take. End of the episode, no music during the end credits.

The Hold Steady needs to do another rock song for the credits.

ASOS
The Hold Steady should be the band

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What is this "heh" thing? It's reminding me of the "Renly is not right!" days, and it also took a bit before I got to know what that one was about, lol.

FStop7

Banned
BIG ASOS

I would prefer this to the hokey Sci-Fi Channel-esque ending that so many people want with a slow zoom on Catelyn's face until DUN DUN DUN HER EYES OPEN BRO!

Then again I think everything about "Lady Stoneheart" is fucking dumb, right down to her dumb name.

kirblar

[ASoS/ Series]
The problem with having Stoneheart as the reveal to end this season is that people will be wondering what that means for next year, if its just them showing Thoros revive her and Cat opening her eyes or something.

The problem last season was that while the Wights/Others descending on the Fist was cool, they totally skimped out on the payoff in the season 3 opener. So if they have Cat being revived in episode 10 this year, how do they follow that up to answer people's questions it would inevitably raise?

In the books, the Stoneheart reveal works because its revealing Stoneheart hanging the one Frey, not just Cat being revived. Its showing how driven by vengeance she is and she is not simply Cat resurrected with everything back to normal.

[ASoS MAJOR spoiler]
Yeah, kind of like the montage they had last episode with Littlefinger's speech going over various scenes, it might be cool if they showed Robb/Grey Wind on a mock throne as part of some bigger montage.
They ended last season on the White Walker army, and we haven't done much with them. People are willing to be patient.

Yonafunu

BIG ASOS

Quoting myself, just to add something: ASOS
it's basically the exact same scene as Dany's vision in the House of the Undying.

Altazor

are we still allowed to comment posts from THE OTHER thread or not? Because this one...

"If the Night's Watch are having such trouble getting numbers you'd think they would change the vows and just let them marry or whatever. I have a feeling Snow will stay on as a Crow in the end and reform the Night's Watch or something."

Yeah, man... [ADWD spoilers!!]
look at how THAT turned out

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
This Thread
Is there some kind of anti-spoiler extension for Firefox?

There has to be. No mortal man could withstand this thread otherwise.

Help!

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/125549

But if you screw up and post something outside of a spoiler tag that was originally tagged then that will be your fault.
Don't cry if you get spoiled about something inside or outside this thread either.

RaidenZR

ASOS-ADWD

Meh. Sorry for the rant.

[ASOS]
They'll probably show it if for no other reason than the practicality of not needing Beric Dondarrion next season. One less actor to pay next year.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Show readers in the other thread are getting way too preoccupied with The Lord of Light and how the Warlocks stole the dragons to make their magic more powerful.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Didn't Kevin McKidd say he'd never do Game of Thrones? He's kind of a dick or something.

He said he'd never do it because he's pissed off about Rome being cancelled.

In any case, he's assuredly making several times more money than anything HBO could possibly pay him being on Grey's Anatomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom