• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

Anyone more excited for season 4 than
RW
?

ASoS
RW will be cool and all, but season 4 (second part of ASoS) is where the real shit starts imo.

- "Only Cat"
- Jon vs Wildlings, followed by Stannis
- Oberyn vs Gregor
- Purple Wedding
- Jaime fucking Cersei right in front of Joffrey's dead body
- UnCat
- Coldhands (possibly?)
- Jon becomes Lord Commander
- Jaime rescues Tyrion
- Tyrion murders both Shae and his father

Too much... my brain won't be able to handle this...

Moff

series
Someone like Stannis who is all about the honorable and right thing to do probably won't fight the legitimate heirs
but they are not the legitimate heirs, HE is. stannis is the one true king. the targaryens lost their legitimacy the moment they were conquered, just like the heirs of westeros lost their claims when they were conquered by Aegon.

I agree with you though that he would not fight the legitimate heirs, but then he would not have crowned himself king in the first place, he would have supported viserys and dany and would have gone to essos, just like barristan did. but he did not do that, because he has the strongest claim and legitimacy for the iron throne right now, he is doing the honorable thing.

Tacitus_

ADWD
Honestly, the Bolton plan so far makes zero sense. Roose gambled a lot to get the North, and he seems to be doing nothing to keep it. Ramsay is ruining everything, and is fostering hatred throughout the North and he's not doing anything about it. The only think that might give his plans merit is if he plans to have Ramsay killed as soon as he gets a son by "Arya".

ADWD/Tinfoil theory
I read a theory that suggested Roose is going for a Nights King style gamble and will join the Others.

Speevy

Banned
I just realized that there's a scene of Tywin either humiliating or intimidating every character with whom he's spoken since the show began.

Dany

Banned
I would assume that HBO would declare if they can show an episode or not. But generally for shows in the US that skip weeks, they don't air overseas.

MBison

So spoiler question about episode 10 coming up:

ASOS
will Joffrey die in episode 10 or will that be saved for next season?

Speevy

Banned
Really? That sucks. What's expected to happen in episode 10 then if episode 9 goes as expected.

asos

It's probably like the preview says, Bran learning more of his powers, Jon's story, Danys siege, the lanisters likely just celebrate

Speevy

Banned
What do you think episode 9's final shot will be?

ASOS
hound hitting arya with an axe?

What about episode 10?

ASOS

They're not going to do that. They've already firmly established Sandor Clegaine as the asshole protector of the Stark girls. Anything that suggests there are more Stark deaths besides those at the RW will be left out of the show I think.

What they'll do instead is have a scene similar to when Stannis is being carried off by his men as he screams. Arya will want to save her mother but the Hound will carry her away.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS

They're not going to do that. They've already firmly established Sandor Clegaine as the asshole protector of the Stark girls. Anything that suggests there are more Stark deaths besides those at the RW will be left out of the show I think.

What they'll do instead is have a scene similar to when Stannis is being carried off by his men as he screams. Arya will want to save her mother but the Hound will carry her away.

ASOS
I can very much see them going with an Arya fake out in episode 9, but they won't hide i for long in episode 10.

MBison

ASOs

the arya hit with an axe chapter ending is so classic though. Especially after rw to be hit over the head with another potential shocker. Will be very disappointed if its left out.

Moff

ASOs

the arya hit with an axe chapter ending is so classic though. Especially after rw to be hit over the head with another potential shocker. Will be very disappointed if its left out.

Honestly, I think it was pretty dumb in the book and not believable for a second, i hope they will do something better in the show

f0rk

Series I guess
Someone in the other OT just mentioned how Ned isn't completely a good guy because he cheated on his wife and had a child out of wedlock. Is it a failure of the show that there doesn't seem to be much mystery around this or who Jon's mother is? I don't feel like many people ask this. At what point in the books did people start suggesting alternative theories, was it from Ned's flashback dreams?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Series I guess
Someone in the other OT just mentioned how Ned isn't completely a good guy because he cheated on his wife and had a child out of wedlock. Is it a failure of the show that there doesn't seem to be much mystery around this or who Jon's mother is? I don't feel like many people ask this. At what point in the books did people start suggesting alternative theories, was it from Ned's flashback dreams?

series
many people figured it out long before, pretty much after Lyanna's kidnapping and Ned bringing Jon back were both first mentioned. The dream just hammered it in.

Massa

series
many people figured it out long before, pretty much after Lyanna's kidnapping and Ned bringing Jon back were both first mentioned. The dream just hammered it in.

That was after the internet though. On a first read most people missed that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Series I guess

Even in the books it's still just speculation, and there is certainly stuff that works against the popular theory.

series
Why does Jon look so much like Ned? Seems more than just a "Stark" look to Jon, he reportedly looks like Ned. Tyrion was able to recognize Griff as the son of Rhaegar because of his facial features. If Jon is also Rhaegar's son, Tyrion should have seen something in him as well.

Moff

Series I guess
Honestly I had no idea while I read the books, mostly because its such a minor issue, who even cares about the targaryen heirs anymore? they would have to take back their lands by conquest anyway and dany has by far the best chances for that. if everyone would madly looking for targaryen heirs everywhere it would be quite another issue, but id didnt bother me at all. i always believed neds story with the wetnurse. and the only thing that hints at jons real parents is his fever dream with the events at the tower of joy. I am sure there is a reason they did not include it in the show.

LordCanti

Even in the books it's still just speculation, and there is certainly stuff that works against the popular theory.

series
Why does Jon look so much like Ned? Seems more than just a "Stark" look to Jon, he reportedly looks like Ned. Tyrion was able to recognize Griff as the son of Rhaegar because of his facial features. If Jon is also Rhaegar's son, Tyrion should have seen something in him as well.

Series (seriously non-book readers; Don't do it)

There's plenty of evidence in the books of Targaryen children taking features mostly from the non-Targaryen parent. Baelor Targaryen from Dunk and Egg comes to mind. It's not a stretch to think that a Stark/Targaryen child would have mostly Stark features. The other evidence is kind of piled too high for the truth to be anything else (unless GRRM is fucking with us). Lyanna was found on a bed covered in blood (not from a wound or anything; The Kingsguard obviously would have kept that from happening) and protected by multiple members of the Kingsguard (dispatched by Rhaegar). Ned was made to promise her something, and then he shows back up at Winterfell with Jon. It could be a red herring, but it's fair to assume that Lyanna had a baby, probably Rhaegar's, whether that baby was Jon or not.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
series
I also think the Lyana/Rhaegar thing is latched onto most because it'd be pretty cool. Every other possibility for Jon's heritage is boring. There's really no more evidence (less when you consider there are no first hand accounts in the book as of yet) for that than the other ones. It's just near to think Jon could be the Wolf and the Dragon, Ice and Fire.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
That was after the internet though. On a first read most people missed that.

series
sure, many people missed it. but by the time of the dream sequence it was the only reasonable conclusion, and the internet has nothing to do with it.

series

series
Rhaegar's daughter did not look like a Targaryen but a Martell. Jon looks like a Stark because of his mother, who looked just like Arya, who just happens to look just like Ned. And Tyrion actually recognizing Aegon as the real deal is highly suspect, as he never thought so, just said so. Tyrion also never saw Rhaegar alive, so him "recognizing" the boy has probably more to do with other factors than looks.

LordCanti

They really should have shown the episode this week so that
everyone wouldn't be all "HEY GAISE, GUESS WHAT? SOMETHING HAPPENS ON THIS NEXT EPISODE!"
for an entire extra week.

I know this is a season 3 discussion thread but I was rewatching the last theon scene from season 2 and noticed [ADWD]
That the long haired guy in theon's crew stays silent the whole time and one of the names theon calls out is Wex.

Speevy

Banned
Tonight's episode was pretty good. The purists are gonna be pissed though.

I know. Remember when Hodor rode Dany's dragon and ordered it to eat Tywin Lannister?

I so did not see that coming. Also, giving Casterly Rock to Jaime Lannister's hand? Who would have thought?

exYle

everyone wouldn't be all "HEY GAISE, GUESS WHAT? SOMETHING HAPPENS ON THIS NEXT EPISODE!"

To be fair, if you haven't caught on to the fact that shit goes down every season in episode 9, you're pretty daft.

Season 4 is going to make people totally forget that.

since shit will be going down every single week

Season 4
Finished a ASOS reread literally 20 minutes ago, so curious to see how they structure the arcs for next season and where they place stuff. Covering the back 40-50% of a book makes it totally unlike adapting any of the first 3 seasons.

Edit: I have no idea why I spoiler tagged that, meh

ZeroRay

Season 4 is going to make people totally forget that.

since shit will be going down every single week

Season 4
Finished a ASOS reread literally 20 minutes ago, so curious to see how they structure the arcs for next season and where they place stuff. Covering the back 40-50% of a book makes it totally unlike adapting any of the first 3 seasons.

Edit: I have no idea why I spoiler tagged that, meh

Seriously,
the second half of ASOS is basically the payoff of the first three novels. And hopefully the first three seasons too.

Gvaz

Banned

They should have done the opposite. But then again, I'm sadistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom