• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS
It's going to be worse for the show watchers, because at least when reading the book you got the joy of Joffrey's death less than 10 chapters later. Show watchers won't know for almost a year.

It's just going to be so, so nice to not have to worry so much about the non-spoiled folk. This is the BIG ONE, ya know? After this, it's all downhill.
I'm trying to think of
another event in ADWD or AFFC but there's really nothing of this magnitude is there?

Dr. Forester you have proved me wrong. Totally forgot.

Massa

ASOS
Some people are thinking the big event of tomorrow's episode is two-fold: Jon and Bran, Robb and Arya happy reunions. Poor saps. :(

ASOS
It's going to be worse for the show watchers, because at least when reading the book you got the joy of Joffrey's death less than 10 chapters later. Show watchers won't know for almost a year.

ASOS
His death wasn't joyful at all to me. It was done in the most unsatisfying manner possible and you soon realize all it does is ruin Tyrion.

I'm trying to think of
another event in ADWD or AFFC but there's really nothing of this magnitude is there?

ASOS
Not anything on this level but I think Ygritte will get a big reaction from show people. Rose Leslie. <3

Noema

I'm trying to think of

Well
We still half ASOS to go and I consider Tywin's death to be a big deal. Specially since he has such a powerful presence in the show thanks in no small part to Charle Dance's awesomeness, and also Tyrion is arguably the show's protagonist and most popular character. Having him kill his father and strangle a character that's been around for 3 seasons is no small deed.

Stannis at the Wall.

Also Lysa's murder and the reveal that Jon Arryn's death was Litttlefinger's doing, and that character is a big deal in the show as well.

In AFFC we have Cercei's plans backfiring with her ending in Incarceration. So that's sort of a big deal, since she's been a pivotal character since season 1.

Not as bombastic, but still important, Doran Martell's reveal that he'd been conspiring to marry Arianne to Viserys and thus try to restablish Targaryan rule.

We also have Brienne+Stoneheart as a possible cliffhanger.

Fey

Banned
ASOS
Some people are thinking the big event of tomorrow's episode is two-fold: Jon and Bran, Robb and Arya happy reunions. Poor saps. :(

ASOS
LOL After tomorrow, they definitely won't predict anything like this for S04E09.

Season 4 will definitely be as much of a thrill, if not a bigger one, than season 3 has been/will be. Much more crazy stuff. Joffrey's death, Sansa's escape, Tyrion's trial, escape, and killings, Arya+Hound, Lysa's death, all the stuff at the Wall, and who knows what else I'm missing.

I'm trying to think of

AFFC/ADWD
The assassination attempt on Dany, culminating in her escaping on Drogon; it's arguably the most epic sequence since Blackwater or the Astapor attack, and I have no idea how they'll pull it off without looking green screen-y.
http://storiesbywilliams.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-dany_drogon.jpg

Barriston's Mereen coup comes to mind as well. And of course Jon's "death."

AFFC has less action but should be great on screen, given how strong the King's Landing scenes have been. I wouldn't be surprised if the writers leave the Queen of Thrones in the city, given how great she's been. Tywin's funeral, Margery's arrest, and the fall of Cersei will all make for great television.

TWOW
Stannis vs Boltons as well. Next book will hopefully be the second best in the series.

Indeed. TWOW sample chapter spoiler:
Based on Barriston's two chapters alone it's clear the Mereen battle will be bigger than Blackwater, and told from more POVs. Barriston's second chapter basically ends before all hell truly breaks loose (blowing of the horn), but even that first glimpse of the battle is epic.

Likewise the Winterfell battle should be big. Not just whatever trick Stannis has planned on the frozen lake, but the potential infiltration of Winterfell later. I really believe Bolton's men will open the gates, thinking the Freys and Manderlys are on the other side, only to be swamped by Stannis and Manderly men - and perhaps a Glover army too, if the "northern conspiracy" theory is true

ASOS

I don't know... [ASoS]
Yes, it'll be bad for show viewers having to wait until next year, but I recall reading the book that it actually felt like a while from after the RW to when Joffrey actually died. I was hoping he'd bite it but it he just kept living for a while after the RW.

TripOpt55

Question for book readers. Not really about this coming episode. Just a general question. Series
Do they lay the groundwork for Lyanna and Rhaegar (possibly I suppose) being Jon's parents in the show? I just don't recall since I read the books between this season and last and didn't really have this theory in my head when I watched the first two seasons.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't know... [ASoS]
Yes, it'll be bad for show viewers having to wait until next year, but I recall reading the book that it actually felt like a while from after the RW to when Joffrey actually died. I was hoping he'd bite it but it he just kept living for a while after the RW.

Was only 8 chapters between the two.

Question for book readers. Not really about this coming episode. Just a general question. Series
Do they lay the groundwork for Lyanna and Rhaegar (possibly I suppose) being Jon's parents in the show? I just don't recall since I read the books between this season and last and didn't really have this theory in my head before.

Some ADWD stuff
There are several theories, and that is one of them. It tends to be the most popular one because it's the only theory that's interesting. The other ones are just secondhand stories about who Ned's mistress may have been, and would all be very be boring. R+L fits in a lot of ways, both in the scope of the books, and from the literary balance of there being 3 dragons and potentially three Targaren's running around. ADWD mentions that a Tagaryen can only ride one Dragon, never another. Drogon is now Danny's which means the other two (assuming they're ever ridden) will have to go to someone else.

Indeed. TWOW sample chapter spoiler:
Based on Barriston's two chapters alone it's clear the Mereen battle will be bigger than Blackwater, and told from more POVs. Barriston's second chapter basically ends before all hell truly breaks loose (blowing of the horn), but even that first glimpse of the battle is epic.

Likewise the Winterfell battle should be big. Not just whatever trick Stannis has planned on the frozen lake, but the potential infiltration of Winterfell later. I really believe Bolton's men will open the gates, thinking the Freys and Manderlys are on the other side, only to be swamped by Stannis and Manderly men - and perhaps a Glover army too, if the "northern conspiracy" theory is true

The end of your second paragraph gave me chills.
God, I love Stannis.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Seeing TWoW spoilers is making me sad because I've been avoiding the sample chapters and I can't read those posts. :(

Noema

Do they lay the groundwork for Lyanna and Rhaegar (possibly I suppose) being Jon's parents in the show? I just don't recall since I read the books between this season and last and didn't really have this theory in my head when I watched the first two seasons.

Series
Most of the elements people base the theory on come from a feverish dream / flashback that Ned had in AGOT after being attacked by Jaime. That dream was not in the show.

Oh god, my heart.
Please don't kill my ship, GRRM, please don't kill my ship.
o7pdFHS.jpg

Etc., etc.

Credo

I got started with this series by watching the show, and I began reading the books last month. I just finished reading ASOS a few minutes ago and was blown away by it all.

Without spoiling anything past the end of ASOS, is it generally considered to be the best of the 5 books? I don't see how it can get any better than what I just read, especially the second half of it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Series
That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if they had hinted at it some other way. Was just curious if that theory ended up being true it would just come more out of nowhere for show watchers.Thanks for the answer!

It's tough to do things like that in the show. It was a quick thing in the books. But in the show, showing something like that might be far more obvious (if that's where that story is going). Much like how the show never tried to hide who Selmey was, it's just something tougher to do in a visual medium.

I got started with this series by watching the show, and I began reading the books last month. I just finished reading ASOS a few minutes ago and was blown away by it all.

Without spoiling anything past the end of ASOS, is it generally considered to be the best of the 5 books? I don't see how it can get any better than what I just read, especially the second half of it.

best by far. But don't let haters dissuade you from continuing. I'm almost done with ADWD and while there are certainly problems, there is a lot of good stuff too.

TripOpt55

It's tough to do things like that in the show. It was a quick thing in the books. But in the show, showing something like that might be far more obvious (if that's where that story is going). Much like how the show never tried to hide who Selmey was, it's just something tougher to do in a visual medium.

Yeah I hear you there. I was not really complaining. Was just kind of curious if I had forgotten a hint in the show.

In terms of season 4...ASOS
I think the RW is going to really piss a lot of people off, and I've never believed it's the type of twist that will hook viewers (like Ned's death, for instance). The PW will have to be pretty early next season, perhaps episode three or four.

Also it's worth noting that HBO's DVD screeners inclulde four episodes, the last of which tends to feature a major event. Last season it was Melisandre's shadow, this season it was the Astapor sack. If I had to bet right now I'd say next season's fourth episode will either be the PW or Stannis arriving at the Wall. But then again it depends on what this season's finale ends with. Will it show Ygritte's attack on the Wall, or will we end with another "fade to black right before battle starts" scene?

Back to Joffery/Tyrion: the first couple episodes could introduce the Red Viper, and introduce whatever plot replaces the Dontos/Sansa plan. Ep5=Tyrion's imprisonment, Ep6=the trial, Ep7=Viper deciding to fight for Tyrion, Ep8=the trial by combat, Ep9=Tywin's death. Ep10=Tyrion learns who he's going to meet.

The end of your second paragraph gave me chills.
God, I love Stannis.

Good to see I'm not the only King's Man here.

Series

how do you do a cliffhanger where brienne musters enough strength to shout a word without revealing what she shouts? The alternative is to show her shouting that word and immediately cut to black but that isn't the same as leaving the shouted word a mystery.

Speevy

Banned
Here's the weird thing.

ASOS

If you're just watching this with no idea of what's about to happen, this season has to be a bit of a letdown. I mean come on, so it ends in a wedding, and Robb Stark tries to take Casterly Rock. They know he's not going to dethrone Joffrey in two episodes. I think that even if I didn't know about the red wedding, I'd be suspicious of how uneventful the last two episodes seem.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Series

how do you do a cliffhanger where brienne musters enough strength to shout a word without revealing what she shouts? The alternative is to show her shouting that word and immediately cut to black but that isn't the same as leaving the shouted word a mystery.

Series
The cliffhanger didn't work for me in the books. I've said before that I wish we had Stoneheart revealed then, and not at the end of ASOS, but as far as Brienne's "death" I didn't buy it. Martin has no problem killing characters, but he doesn't seem to kill the main characters without reason. Ned was killed in book one. Faking out the audience in the first of 7 books was not that big a deal in the grand scope of things. Cat is really just an observer, much like Sansa. Outside her releasing Jamie (and not including Stonheart stuff), she doesn't do much. I never bought that this character who was a big focus in AFFC was going to be offed over a misunderstanding, in a way that would no impact later events. Same reason I never thought Davos was dead in AFFC. Martin isn't going to kill off a POV character via random letter to King's Landing.

Noema

Whoa, whoa, whoa. ASoS spoilers, man.

Hah hah didn't even think about the PW connection. It was completely coincidental. I'll remove it just in case.

ASOS spoiler reveal: Westeros is actually Volga-Alpha 3; on a 21st century pre-Warp probe that crashed landed on the planet the humanoid natives found a book detailing Earth's medieval history and modeled their civilization after that. Enterprise makes first contact but using magic Melissandre kills the crew remotely. In the end everything turned out to be a Holodeck simulation on Enterprise-D because Data and Wesley were bored.

Sorry to have spoiled that.

I just wanted a picture of Shatner overacting. ;)

Yes, it is almost universally considered the best.

IMO, A Storm of Swords is the peak of narrative-based fiction*. Probably the best book in that genre ever written.

*I say "narrative-based fiction" to distinguish it from more theme-based literary fiction, since there are always snobs who will say that nothing genre-based can ever be great and will make dumbshit posts like "The Brothers Karamazov >>>>>>>>>>> A Storm of Swords."

exYle

Hah hah didn't even think about the PW connection. It was completely coincidental. I'll remove it just in case.

ASOS spoiler reveal: Westeros is actually Volga-Alpha 3; on a 21st century pre-Warp probe that crashed landed on the planet the humanoid natives found a book detailing Earth's medieval history and modeled their civilization after that. Enterprise makes first contact but using magic Melissandre kills the crew remotely. In the end everything turned out to be a Holodeck simulation on Enterprise-D because Data and Wesley were bored.

Sorry to have spoiled that.

I just wanted a picture of Shatner overacting. ;)

Hahaha dude, I was just joking. If anything, by me pointing it, I've written a bigger spoiler.

Noema

Hahaha dude, I was just joking. If anything, by me pointing it, I've written a bigger spoiler.

I know you were joking but I'm really paranoid about spoiling someone. ;)

And then talking about pointing out spoilers makes me feel more spoilery hah hah. Can't be too safe.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I can't believe it, (ASOS)
the episode that I've been waiting so long to see is airing tomorrow! omgomgomg I cannot wait to read the impressions in the NO BOOK SPOILER thread, and I'm also hoping that a few are able to film reactions from friends and family. This is going to be awesomeee!! :D

Sooooo ASOS
HBO web site currently says "Robb sets his plan in motion"

Nope, I'm not ready for this shit! Ahh, tomorrow is going to be a crazy long day of anticipation and dread. Fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom