• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lkr

my friend asked me why everyone in this thread asos
is so excited about tomorrow's episode. i was giggling like a school girl.

RaidenZR

[ASOS]
I'm really curious how they're going to show the moments up to (and including) Catelyn's death. Beat for beat, it should be interesting. I have also been finding myself wondering to what extent the makeup department will be taxed to make her look as grotesque as she is described post-zombification. I'm guessing they'll cheap out a bit so she's not so repulsive that no one wants to watch her on-screen, but the descriptions always disturbed me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So is tomorrow's episode the one where Hot Pie is revealed to be of Targaryen bloodline?

Lkr

[ASOS]
I'm really curious how they're going to show the moments up to (and including) Catelyn's death. Beat for beat, it should be interesting. I have also been finding myself wondering to what extent the makeup department will be taxed to make her look as grotesque as she is described post-zombification. I'm guessing they'll cheap out a bit so she's not so repulsive that no one wants to watch her on-screen, but the descriptions always disturbed me.
I don't think hot pie is that great of an artist judging on the wolf he made for arya, so it will probably be tame

Monocle

I can't believe it, (ASOS)
the episode that I've been waiting so long to see is airing tomorrow! omgomgomg I cannot wait to read the impressions in the NO BOOK SPOILER thread, and I'm also hoping that a few are able to film reactions from friends and family. This is going to be awesomeee!! :D
I could not be more excited for this.

So is tomorrow's episode the one where Hot Pie is revealed to be of Targaryen bloodline?
You did not just spoil the biggest twist in the book! As a mod you should know better. For shame.

So I'm going to go on record predicting that
tomorrow's episode will not be considered by the show-only audience as the equivalent of "Baelor". Because the writers failed to develop a proper arc over the course of the season that builds up to this event. The audience were with Ned every episode until the end, whereas they barely got to see Robb/Catelyn in action this season. I'm not saying there won't be any reaction, but those of you looking for reactions equivalent to when most book readers reached the RW chapter will be disappointed.

Gvaz

Banned
Having read all his posts, basically my takeaways from that are:

POTENTIAL MAJOR SPOILERS/LEAK ABOUT TOMORROW'S EPISODE
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

-Deaths are pretty faithful
-Cat threatens Frey's wife rather than Jinglebell (seems a fair approach)
-"The Lannisters send their regards"
-No Arya cliffhanger
-Wolfhead Robb would be episode 10 probably
-No Coldhands tomorrow

In response to you guys above, he clearly says in one of his posts that the final shot is Cat, not the things you mentioned.

Mreeeehhhhhhhhh. You're killing my hopes.

tomorrow's episode will not be considered by the show-only audience as the equivalent of "Baelor". Because the writers failed to develop a proper arc over the course of the season that builds up to this event. The audience were with Ned every episode until the end, whereas they barely got to see Robb/Catelyn in action this season. I'm not saying there won't be any reaction, but those of you looking for reactions equivalent to when most book readers reached the RW chapter will be disappointed.

Nah, there will be some meltdowns, I wouldn't be surprised if some people drop the show after tomorrow night's episode.

Besides that I think a lot of non-book reader/tv watchers view ASOS
Robb Stark's story arc as one of redemption for Ned, which makes his death all the more shocking. Though I can't claim to know the mind of anyone watching the show of course, it's possible that some people believe Robb's plan of taking Casterly Rock will work, and that it's a more realistic plan than beating Tywin in battle.

ASOS
The show if anything did more to make Robb important than the books did, in the books we saw everything through Cat's eyes. Maybe you're right though, it'd be weird if the reaction to the red wedding was calmer than one would think.

Sotha Sil

Nah, there will be some meltdowns, I wouldn't be surprised if some people drop the show after tomorrow night's episode.

Robb Stark's story arc as one of redemption for Ned, which makes his death all the more shocking. Though I can't claim to know the mind of anyone watching the show of course, it's possible that some people believe Robb's plan of taking Casterly Rock will work, and that it's a more realistic plan than beating Tywin in battle.

The show if anything did more to make Robb important than the books did, in the books we saw everything through Cat's eyes. Maybe you're right though, it'd be weird if the reaction to the red wedding was calmer than one would think.

[SoS]
Yeah. I think knowing what will happen kills some of our empathy for show-Robb and Cat. I really don't know how non-readers view them, but I think tears will still flow tonight.

jrush64

Banned

ASOS

I don't read the books but I definitely know what happens as I read the wiki. While I probably won't drop the show, I don't think I'll be able to watch it though. I might just skip the episode.

Moff

AFFC/ADWD
The assassination attempt on Dany, culminating in her escaping on Drogon; it's arguably the most epic sequence since Blackwater or the Astapor attack, and I have no idea how they'll pull it off without looking green screen-y.
http://storiesbywilliams.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-dany_drogon.jpg

ADWD
season 4 will be full of obvious amazing moments, but this one is practically the only one in the whole AFFC/ADWD, the artwork really does it justice. Its not too long and by then the show may be even bigger, so I guess we can hope to expect the probably best cgi TV has ever seen.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
ASoS:
The underdevelopment of the Northern army will dampen it a fair bit, I think. I don't see why they didn't include a Mormont, at least: the connection to and contrast with Jorah and the old bear would have arguably had greater significance in the show, with it's limited cast of characters, than it did in the book. Plus Daecy (sp?) has a pretty big role at the wedding and the way she dies is fucking brutal.

[SoS]
Yeah. I think knowing what will happen kills some of our empathy for show-Robb and Cat. I really don't know how non-readers view them, but I think tears will still flow tonight.

[ASoS]
I'm still Team Stark all the way, and many of my friends are, too. The RW was a real slap to the face for me, and I can't wait to see my friends' reactions to it. I'm going to coincide it with putting the lyrics to 'The Rains of Castamere' on my Facebook page and seeing who gets it.
:p

Pretty funny, a friend of mine told me yesterday that he got spoiled on certain parts of the second part of ASoS, and [ASoS]
starts talking about how he knows Catelyn dies, and he's terrified Robb's going to share the same fate. I'm going to be paying extra close attention to him, I think. :lol

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
In terms of season 4...ASOS
I think the RW is going to really piss a lot of people off, and I've never believed it's the type of twist that will hook viewers (like Ned's death, for instance). The PW will have to be pretty early next season, perhaps episode three or four.

ASOS
I tend to agree, honestly. People talk about the RW as if it will only hook viewers further and that ratings will go through the roof for the finale and S4 (and I certainly hope they do) but I'm not convinced. While Ned's death was shocking, the RW is an event that made many people genuinely angry/upset and stop reading for a while or have to be convinced to restart. Kind of my worst fear is that viewership starts going down from this point.

That's the main reason I argued so vehemently for Cat's resurrection and Joffrey's death in the same season as the RW. I'm 100% convinced the former will happen though obviously the latter won't.

Credo

Yes, it is almost universally considered the best.

IMO, A Storm of Swords is the peak of narrative-based fiction*. Probably the best book in that genre ever written.

*I say "narrative-based fiction" to distinguish it from more theme-based literary fiction, since there are always snobs who will say that nothing genre-based can ever be great and will make dumbshit posts like "The Brothers Karamazov >>>>>>>>>>> A Storm of Swords."

I haven't read nearly that much narrative-based fiction, so I wouldn't be very able to judge, but I'll have to agree. Even though I felt like I should take a break, I used pretty much every hour of my free time reading ASOS from beginning to end because it was THAT good. I'm kind of worried going into AFFC now.

Massa

ASOS
I tend to agree, honestly. People talk about the RW as if it will only hook viewers further and that ratings will go through the roof for the finale and S4 (and I certainly hope they do) but I'm not convinced. While Ned's death was shocking, the RW is an event that made many people genuinely angry/upset and stop reading for a while or have to be convinced to restart. Kind of my worst fear is that viewership starts going down from this point.

That's the main reason I argued so vehemently for Cat's resurrection and Joffrey's death in the same season as the RW. I'm 100% convinced the former will happen though obviously the latter won't.

ASOS
The hook for season 4 was including the leeches scene this season and Balon Greyjoy's death in episode 10.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ASOS
The hook for season 4 was including the leeches scene this season and Balon Greyjoy's death in episode 10.

I don't think that even begins to qualify as a hook of equal magnitude to what I was talking about in my post.

Massa

How on earth does that qualify as a hook of equal magnitude to what I was talking about in my post?

ASOS
That's about as obvious as they can make that Joffrey will die in season 4.

Of course it's not a huge event in itself, but crumming all the big events in one season would have ruined them all.

Dany

Banned
My body is so fucking ready for tonight.

ASOS
my king of the north ;( noooo but at least I can switch to my Tywin avatar next season :p

ASOS
I'm pretty hyped for the episode, but I am even more eager to see the fallout happening in real time online. Can't wait for the episode reviews and the youtube reaction videos!

I agree 100%

ASOS
The show hasn't even dealt much on how big a deal Robb's marriage betrayal was. In the book you see the Freys ride their horses over the direwolf banner, and how angry they are. Also it's made clear that their alliance isn't just a fucking bridge, it's a large army; a new viewer wouldn't know the Freys had so much power until this season, when Robb decided to attack Casterly Rock.

Finally there are very few character moments for Robb outside of his romance with Talisa, something many people don't like. I would have hoped to see Robb being...well, a king. He was loved my his men, they spoke of him as a god, yet in the show you only see his generals complaining about him. The show couldn't have one guy in th cast to take the place of the Greatjon, or Dacy Mormont, or any of the other bannermen who loved their king?

I'm guessing new viewers will realize Robb is about to die when he makes Jon his heir. And I expect reactions to tonight's episode to be very mixed. Folks are already complaining that the last few episodes haven't been interesting, and now their souls will be crushed lol.

Also after to tonight's episode I hope people don't rush into the new viewer thread to gloat.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Can't wait for tonight's episode.

ASOS
I'm so excited for the reactions to tonight's episode.

New Episode Tonight: The Rains of Castamere

Synopsis said:
Robb presents himself to Walder Frey, and Edmure meets his bride. Jon faces his harshest test yet. Bran discovers a new gift. Daario and Jorah debate how to take Yunkai. House Frey joins with House Tully.

Most my friends hate Robb, they're hoping he dies because he's never seen doing anything but playing kissy with Talisa. Ned's death wasn't a big shock to them either, they knew his actor died in everything and Ned was too reasonable and rational to live.

Dany

Banned
ASOS
I hope they show Cat's death well, I mean I want that 'turn' into being insane for the slight second before her throat is slit

Altazor

I'm so excited.

and I just can't hide it.

I mean, I really can't. I'm mustering all my willpower so I don't throw a cheesy one-liner that COULD be spoilerish on twitter to build the hype for this episode even more (as in [ASOS!]
"hey guys, DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD with tonight's episode!"
or whatever)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
and I just can't hide it.

I mean, I really can't. I'm mustering all my willpower so I don't throw a cheesy one-liner that COULD be spoilerish on twitter to build the hype for this episode even more (as in [ASOS!]
"hey guys, DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD with tonight's episode!"
or whatever)
WinterIsComing.net on Twitter:
It's a nice day for a... #GameofThrones #RainsofCastamere

Ghost23

I love reading the no book spoiler thread. ASOS
The last few posts are talking about how it looks like nothing will happen in tonight's episode. Man are they in for a treat.

Reading the latest posts in the no book spoilers thread....

tumblr_lwbpo0mdgu1r7gq2to1_500.gif

Leeness

I love reading the no book spoiler thread. ASOS
The last few posts are talking about how it looks like nothing will happen in tonight's episode. Man are they in for a treat.

It makes me so happy.

Last post thinking Rains fits an attack on Castle Black.

Altazor

from the other thread... sorry, I HAD to do it.

"The night's watch is already low on men. A successful wildling attack could completely wipe out the rest of their forces. Rains of Castamere would totally fit an attack on Castle Black, if that's the climax.

(ASOS!)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh man

Leeness

from the other thread... sorry, I HAD to do it.

"The night's watch is already low on men. A successful wildling attack could completely wipe out the rest of their forces. Rains of Castamere would totally fit an attack on Castle Black, if that's the climax.

(ASOS!)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh man

Sweet sweet summer children

traveler

Not Wario
In a similar vain, (SoS)
I told my friends that I hoped they would just skip/abridge the wedding and get right on to the Casterly Rock plotline, as I felt the season was moving too slow to get to the good stuff at the ends of Swords. They didn't have a problem with the pacing thus far, but agreed that they were looking forward to Robb taking the fight to the Lannisters. Cruel or no, this should be fun. lol

Ghost23

In a similar vain, (SoS)
I told my friends that I hoped they would just skip/abridge the wedding and get right on to the Casterly Rock plotline, as I felt the season was moving too slow to get to the good stuff at the ends of Swords. They didn't have a problem with the pacing thus far, but agreed that they were looking forward to Robb taking the fight to the Lannisters. Cruel or no, this should be fun. lol

Amazing. lol

Fey

Banned
ASOS
Their recent posts got me thinking how they'll reveal it was Joffrey who sent the assassin to kill Bran. In the book, Tyrion figured it out in his head, didn't he? And it's not really a game changing moment worth focusing on, just a "ok that loose end is tied up, let's move on ..."

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ASOS
Their recent posts got me thinking how they'll reveal it was Joffrey who sent the assassin to kill Bran. In the book, Tyrion figured it out in his head, didn't he? And it's not really a game changing moment worth focusing on, just a "ok that loose end is tied up, let's move on ..."
[ASoS]
They could have Joffrey throw it in Sansa's face that he sent the assassin. He's a big enough dick in the show already that I could see him doing it.

Also, all must bow to Queen Sansa!

tumblr_mmgfwd1keN1rl6c79o1_500.gif

And who are you, the proud lord said,
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Gvaz

Banned
Im saying it right now, whomever is a mod of these forums, needs someone to park their ass on that thread from now till the episode drops 8 hours from now.

I don't have faith that people will be well behaved.

Clevinger

Im saying it right now, whomever is a mod of these forums, needs someone to park their ass on that thread from now till the episode drops 8 hours from now.

I don't have faith that people will be well behaved.

ASOS
I wonder if Gigarator is a book reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom