• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
God I wish I was one of you people that haven't read the books yet.

You just don't know. You just don't know at all.

ASOS
Red Wedding is going to throw people for a loop I think. The series I think has played up Robb much more than the books by having him as more a POV character in the show, where the books, he was kind of mentioned in secondhand tales of his war exploits

Lothar

Banned
Maybe it was that last swordfight between Brienne and Jamie that left a bad taste in my mouth. That was THE swordfight in the book. In the show it was sooooo slooooow. Let's sloooowly swing our swords at each other. And then Brienne beat him so easily. Disappointmenton.

Yes, good episode all around, better than last week with the highlight being Grandmother Tyrell, but that was total shit. What the hell happened there? Who choreographed that?

Lkr

ASOS
Red Wedding is going to throw people for a loop I think. The series I think has played up Robb much more than the books by having him as more a POV character in the show, where the books, he was kind of mentioned in secondhand tales of his war exploits

ASOS
I can't even remember him having book chapters. Maybe in AGoT or ACoK? And it isn't because he dies either as Catelyn has chapters, and that is how you find out what he is up to the whole time

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Maybe it was that last swordfight between Brienne and Jamie that left a bad taste in my mouth. That was THE swordfight in the book. In the show it was sooooo slooooow. Let's sloooowly swing our swords at each other. And then Brienne beat him so easily. Disappointmenton.

When I think about it, good fight choreography is one thing this show has been a little lacking. I think the best fight in the show so far has been Bronn's fight in the Aery, and that wasn't really anything spectacular

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
When I think about it, good fight choreography is one thing this show has been a little lacking. I think the best fight in the show so far has been Bronn's fight in the Aery, and that wasn't really anything spectacular

Nah, Jaime vs. Ned in the first season was phenomenal.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS
I can't even remember him having book chapters. Maybe in AGoT or ACoK? And it isn't because he dies either as Catelyn has chapters, and that is how you find out what he is up to the whole time

ASOS
He was never a point of view character. you only saw him through Cat's eyes, and she was on her own going down to Storm's End for most the book. And when she gets back, Robb is distant with her. Said it before, but his death never came as a surprise to me, only the manner of.

Nah, Jaime vs. Ned in the first season was phenomenal.

I didn't think that fight was anything special.

aceface

Also Bran seemed so nonplussed by the fact that he's a warg. Maybe it's because they only introduced wargs for the first time earlier in the episode, but you think he would be more taken aback by the warging thing not just being dreams. But he was just like "Yeah, whatever, I'm a warg, it's cool."

Altazor

ASOS

ASOS
nope, he didn't have any POV chapters

Helmholtz

ASOS
Don't think he ever had his own chapters. And yeah most of the stuff involving him came secondhand. ASOS
I think the red wedding will be even more impactful though since they're giving him a lot of screen time. But I wonder if some people will get fed up, seeing as how Ned died in Season 1.

Also Bran seemed so nonplussed by the fact that he's a warg. Maybe it's because they only introduced wargs for the first time earlier in the episode, but you think he would be more taken aback by the warging thing not just being dreams. But he was just like "Yeah, whatever, I'm a warg, it's cool."

Yeah, he didn't really seem to have any questions or concerns about it. Even when Jojen talked about how he was in Bran's dream.

The slow fighting isn't really bothering me. I think they're going for a more realistic, these-swords-are-heavy approach. That was a fine fight.

Altazor

A gem from the NO BOOKS SPOILERS thread:

(should I use the spoiler tag? I will anyway)

"Seems unlikely. I only say that because the dude did come to Robb with the bad news and they had no clue where Theon was or if the boys were safe. If it was the bastard who caught him I'm sure he would have told them so and then Robb could kill Theon himself instead of the torture."

just like Jon Snow - he knows nothing.

W1SSY

Haven't seen the episode yet, but I fear this, too.

My brothers, who haven't read the books, can only remember two names off the top of their head: Jon Snow and Daenerys.

My roommate is the same way. We watched last weeks episode and I had to tell him who each person was. My brother got caught up in the last couple of weeks and I am interested to see what he has to say about it. Having read the books it is easy to keep track of what is going on and therefore I don't get the same experience as them.

Zabka

Good stuff. From what I heard in the reviews the show will pick up in the 3rd and 4th episodes.

I liked the Jaime/Brienne fight.

ETA: Maybe it's a good idea to not post in the no-book spoiler thread if you've read the books.

Lkr

"Seems unlikely. I only say that because the dude did come to Robb with the bad news and they had no clue where Theon was or if the boys were safe. If it was the bastard who caught him I'm sure he would have told them so and then Robb could kill Theon himself instead of the torture."

LOL i fucked up so badly. i thought they said it was him in the episode. goddamn i edited it hopefully no one really pays any attention that hasn't read it

Magnus

oh god the non book thread is so cute to read speculation in.

It's an interesting window to peer into.

I feel for their speculation as to Theon's torturers.

ASOS
Having only finished up to this book, I myself am unsure who they are, but I'be made some guesses based on comments in this thread.

The X cross-bar that Theon's tied to reminds me of the Flayed-Man sigil of House Bolton (?). And they're definitely not Ironmen, given a 'spy' from Yara is there in secret and offering to help Theon.

Lkr

It's an interesting window to peer into.

I feel for their speculation as to Theon's torturers.

ASOS
Having only finished up to this book, I myself am unsure who they are, but I'be made some guesses based on comments in this thread.

The X cross-bar that Theon's tied to reminds me of the Flayed-Man sigil of House Bolton (?). And they're definitely not Ironmen, given a 'spy' from Yara is there in secret and offering to help Theon.

pretty sure it is given away somewhat in ASOS or at least heavily implied...oh well

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I thought it was a really good episode.

- Though they're still packing a ton into each episode, I'm really happy that they're continuing to leave a story or two out of each episode rather than cramming them all in.
- Queen of Thorns was awesome
- I loved the Reeds
- Really enjoying the increased presence of various CG animals this season especially the wolves
- I liked the Brotherhood stuff and I'm looking forward to watching that unfold along with the Theon arc.

Levi

Banned
RE: Cat ASOS
I don't see the point of having Robb and Cat not think that Bran and Rickon are dead, when they both die never finding out their true fate. Robb and Cat's storylines in ACOK are heavily motivated by grief, taking away that motivation was a huge detriment to both characters, and this bullshit where they think Theon has them hostage? That isn't going to pay off.

So, the Cat scenes were bad, the Theon stuff was meh (but will hopefully will be awesome next week), the Arya stuff seemed rushed (and where's Lem's cloak?) but was otherwise okay, the Tyrion stuff was bad (unusual for this show), the Reeds stuff was pretty good, Margery is being well served by the show so far, and all the beyond the wall stuff was fine. C+

RangersFan

yes i enjoy doing that too, unfortunately there are too many assholes posting in there who should be posting in this thread. even with the rules clear, they can't help themselves by posting what they think are innocuous posts but are actually foreboding or hinting.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

It must be weird to live in a world where [ADwD]
you believe everything you're told.
:lol

Zabka

RE: Cat ASOS
I don't see the point of having Robb and Cat not think that Bran and Rickon are dead, when they both die never finding out their true fate. Robb and Cat's storylines in ACOK are heavily motivated by grief, taking away that motivation was a huge detriment to both characters, and this bullshit where they think Theon has them hostage? That isn't going to pay off.

So, the Cat scenes were bad, the Theon stuff was meh (but will hopefully will be awesome next week), the Arya stuff seemed rushed (and where's Lem's cloak?) but was otherwise okay, the Tyrion stuff was bad (unusual for this show), the Reeds stuff was pretty good, Margery is being well served by the show so far, and all the beyond the wall stuff was fine. C+

ASOS
During that scene I was expecting the show to reveal that Robb was lying to her because it would be too much at the moment.

Ruze789

Another great episode. Damn a week between these is painful!

And I found these earlier today... it is a damn fine beer.

16wBvmY.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The one word to remember about that thread is to read the speculation. There's no reason to post in there about the show. Let them have their fun.

RaidenZR

This episode had a lot of deviations from the book, so much so that it distracted the hell out of me. It also seems weird to me that they devote a lot of random dialogue on past events when they didn't bother to let things breathe or resonate last season.

And man , is it me or is there is an assload of Margaery in this show? While it may be worth laying that track if the show had all the time in the world, it just feels like it comes at the expense of other, seemingly main characters who had more to do in the source material and get spread really thin here.

RangersFan

The one word to remember about that thread is to read the speculation. There's no reason to post in there about the show. Let them have their fun.

^this, they already have a designated questions guy they can PM specific book spoiler questions to. no need to post corrections every time speculate incorrectly.

I only keep reiterating my annoyance with these posts because I was part of the NO spoilers discussion for season 1 and 2, and no matter how well intentioned a book reader was with his posts, they couldn't help but hint or forebode.

Zabka

This episode had a lot of deviations from the book, so much so that it distracted the hell out of me. It also seems weird to me that they devote a lot of random dialogue on past events when they didn't bother to let things breathe or resonate last season.

And man , is it me or is there is an assload of Margaery in this show? While it may be worth laying that track if the show had all the time in the world, it just feels like it comes at the expense of other, seemingly main characters who had more to do in the source material and get spread really thin here.

More history talk comes from having twice as much time to handle this book. I'm glad they're expanding because some characters won't have much to do for a while.

Noticed that Margaery used almost the exact same line on Joffrey that she used on Renly in season 2

"You decide how you want to do it, with me, with me and Loras, however else you like. Whatever you need to do...you are a king"

Then when Joffrey is saying he wants to make homosexuality a crime punishable by death

"As is your right. You must do whatever you need to do...you are the king."

paskowitz

Is tonights still not up on HBO Go? All I can see are the previews. It usually doesn't take this long for an episode to appear. Is anyone else experiencing this?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ASOS
With the whole "Bran and Rickon are hostages" thing. I really hope they're not going to stop the plot line of Sam knowing Bran is alive but not telling

RaidenZR

More history talk comes from having twice as much time to handle this book. I'm glad they're expanding because some characters won't have much to do for a while.

I don't really have a huge problem with them spending two scenes to crack-wise on Renly (which was kind of out of the blue, considering the amount of show time that has passed) but the fact that they previously will gloss over scenes where certain parties never even reacted to Renly dying in season 2 makes that stuff seem strange by comparison.

I think this episode is evidence that when the show goes off on it's own it *can be very mediocre. If you disagree then that's cool, but it's definitely inconsistent. Some scenes are careful and well-planned (I thought the Joff bowgun scene was good, added character color, and was paced nicely), but other stuff can come off hurried and weird. The conversation with Queen of Thorns seemed very fast for me, despite everyone in this thread complimenting the introduction. The delivery was hurried and for what it's worth, a friend watching alongside me (who is strictly a show-watcher), had trouble digesting many of the lines. He didn't even catch who she was.

But just in case I sound like a total gripe-fest, I really did like the Reeds. They talk and act like I had always imagined they would. Excited to see more scenes with them, and holy shit they mentioned Howland Reed. Bout time!

UraMallas

I just want to echo the sentiment about no posts whatsoever in the no book spoilers thread. Please just don't post in the thread if you've read the books. There is absolutely nothing you can add to the conversation there. If there is something funny quote it and bring it here so we can discuss it.

What could a book reader possibly have to say in that thread at all except things that go against the rules of the thread? Comments on the episode can be posted here to discuss

cj_iwakura

Fantastic episode, so much went down.

Is it safe to say that ASOS/AFFC/ADWD?(not sure)
the man claiming to be from Theon's sister is Bolton? That's what I'm expecting.

RaidenZR

Fantastic episode, so much went down.

Is it safe to say that ASOS/AFFC/ADWD?(not sure)
the man claiming to be from Theon's sister is Bolton? That's what I'm expecting.

Yeah and if you watched the preview, [ADWD]
it looks like they replace the escape he recalls in ADWD with Kyra with Ramsey instead. Which was all a setup.

Pretty interesting way to adapt that. I've been wondering how they would handle all of that material. Poor Theon.

cj_iwakura

it looks like they replace the escape he recalls in ADWD with Kyra with Ramsey instead. Which was all a setup.

Pretty interesting way to adapt that. I've been wondering how they would handle all of that material. Poor Theon.

[ADWD]
I do not look forward to seeing his torture happening along the way, I'd rather we just see the aftermath.

I've been trying to explain to people, albeit vaguely Spoilers ALL, mostly ADWD
that they may despise Theon now, but not to be surprised if they feel bad for him down the road.

I cannot wait to see how people react.

I can't believe this thread isn't blowing up over the [not-in-ASoS-or-any-other-book]
made up motivation for Cat feeling guilt over praying for Jon's death
. Unless it was in the books and I don't remember it?

UraMallas

I can't believe this thread isn't blowing up over the [not-in-ASoS-or-any-other-book]
made up motivation for Cat feeling guilt over praying for Jon's death
. Unless it was in the books and I don't remember it?
It wasn't a big deal. I'm glad a mountain wasn't made of a mole hill. It made for some good drama and allowed the seg up to Jon. It's not like we need to worry about that story affecting the character progressions.

I liked it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom